• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (WiiWare) - Now up on NA Wiiware, 1000 Points

Foffy

Banned
JasonMCG said:
Why are there no proper screens of this yet? It comes out in less than a week...

Like Contra ReBirth, the game will probably be very short.

Like beaten in 20 minutes short.

andymcc

Banned
Rummy Bunnz said:
Yeah, that sort of approach worked well on the SNES. When it tried to rock it was pretty weak, I think.

Me too, but Richter isn't too femme and he wears pants! He's just right.

I got the FDS version of Akumajo Dracula in the mail yesterday. I'm totally going to beat the shit out of it. Cheat2win with saves!

the FDS version is sooooooo easy. I remember beating the game in around 45 min the first time I played FDS one due to saves. lol

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Foffy said:
Like Contra ReBirth, the game will probably be very short.

Like beaten in 20 minutes short.

so short that they develop it entirely in the next week, making it impossible for them to release any screenshots whatsoever

Sagitario

Foffy said:
I like the title screen.

wvwys0.png

I assume because the game already has a US title screen, and the game is apparently planned to be shown on October 26th on the show Nintendo Week that the release date must be pretty close. I'd assume the US is getting it either Monday or the following Monday.

OLD LOGO FTW! [still missing the fang/capital V though]

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I'm expecting it to look similiar to Contra Rebirth; kinda low-res, GBA-ish, but colorful and with smooth animations. Nothing spectacular, but good all-round.

Foffy

Banned
Aru said:
How long was the original ?

If you were able to get past all of the terrible choices that ruined the experience? Like I said, around 20 minutes :p

Unless they remade stages are a lot longer, or there are more of them. Adventure had only 4 stages.

Aru

Foffy said:
If you were able to get past all of the terrible choices that ruined the experience? Like I said, around 20 minutes :p

Unless they remade stages are a lot longer, or there are more of them. Adventure had only 4 stages.

No way I'm buying a game so short for 1000 points. 500 points or bust.

Foffy

Banned
Aru said:
No way I'm buying a game so short for 1000 points. 500 points or bust.

The key thing to note is that there may be some replay value found in the game. They've already made some large changes to the game that we know of. Who's to say they don't add things like branching levels, or even better, the entire second episode starring Christoper Belmont (Belmont's Revenge)?

I really have no idea why this is still considered a Gameboy Remake. The first GB one didn't have the extra weapons and completely different levels and enemies. It must be a Rebirth like Contra. New Levels, "Old" feel.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
:Motorbass said:
I really have no idea why this is still considered a Gameboy Remake. The first GB one didn't have the extra weapons and completely different levels and enemies. It must be a Rebirth like Contra. New Levels, "Old" feel.

The "The Adventure" in the name suggests it, but we can all be fairly sure it's a "rebirth", like Gradius and Contra, and not a pure remake.

Aru

Sword Familiar said:
The "The Adventure" in the name suggests it, but we can all be fairly sure it's a "rebirth", like Gradius and Contra, and not a pure remake.

Strangely the game is named The Adventure and there is little to no adventure in it :lol

:Motorbass said:
I think they wanted some basic groundwork, so they took one of the less-than-stellar CV games to use as a blueprint. We'll see the old enemies and references, but (hopefully) different stage layout.
M2 did the same thing with Gradius Rebirth, which borrowed (a bit too) heavily from previous games in the series. Contra was nice and refreshing, even though the second stage was basically a remake.

andymcc

Banned
ace harding: private eye said:
I think they wanted some basic groundwork, so they took one of the less-than-stellar CV games to use as a blueprint. We'll see the old enemies and references, but (hopefully) different stage layout.
M2 did the same thing with Gradius Rebirth, which borrowed (a bit too) heavily from previous games in the series. Contra was nice and refreshing, even though the second stage was basically a remake.

adventure also follows the story of a different belmont too, doesn't it? i wouldn't know as i haven't played the game since i was about six or seven. i don't make it a point to play monochromatic games anymore.

andymcc said:
adventure also follows the story of a different belmont too, doesn't it? i wouldn't know as i haven't played the game since i was about six or seven.
You play as Christopher Belmont. The sequel, Belmont's Revenge, also introduced Christopher's possessed son, Soleiyu Belmont.
andymcc said:
i don't make it a point to play monochromatic games anymore.
You're missing out, as some of those monochromatic games run circles around many titles released these days. What they lack in graphics is more than made up for in gameplay, level design, and pure fun.

andymcc

Banned
You play as Christopher Belmont. The sequel, Belmont's Revenge, also introduced Christopher's possessed son, Soleiyu Belmont.

You're missing out, as some of those monochromatic games run circles around many titles released these days. What they lack in graphics is more than made up for in gameplay, level design, and pure fun.

i was mildly joking. i love the shit out of some donkey kong gb.

Too bad they won't make another based on Legends on the game boy. It'd be nice ot have the game sped up a bit and more detailed like the second GB one.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
evilromero said:
I'm pissing pant in anticipation.

That's kinda weird. You should get that checked out...

Troidal

I loved the second Game Boy game. The music was great even on something like a Game Boy. The first one was awfully hard. Hope they decided to include both, but I doubt it ;/

Either way, I'm looking forward to this next week :-D

Sega's Yamaha sound chip was a blast, and provided a huge variety of intense sounds, especially in later games, like Bloodlines, Vectorman, and Batman & Robin.

It was kind of dated though, and sounded farty at times whenever it went low frequency.

Absolutely! The new logo was nice, but is now associated with too many stinkers.

Only the 3d titles, if anything.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Babelfish translation confirms this is Christopher Belmont.
When according to prediction, 100 years later it revives, the devil which at one time traps the human to fear, the Dracula count is revival it receives. In the crisis, orthodox [vuanpaiahanta] which at one time ruins Dracula, Christopher [berumondo] which is the end 裔 of the bell world whole group stands up. The player becomes Christopher [berumondo], 眷 family of the darkness (the [ke] is the [ku]) crowded and was full in the skillful trap, the alone boarding, the inn enemy Dracula count must be ruined in the Dracula castle.

D3RANG3D

cartman414 said:
Cool.

I wonder what that green bar is for.

In Castlevania Legends the third GB game the bottom bar was for burning mode which made the character move faster, jump higher and if a enemy touched you it would hurt it.

Hmmm...actually looks pretty great. Could the green bar be meant to represent whip power level or a recharging bar for the level of damage dealt by the whip?

OnPoint

Someone said it was the time remaining in the bottom right corner, but what if it's the amount of time played so far instead?

OnPoint said:
Someone said it was the time remaining in the bottom right corner, but what if it's the amount of time played so far instead?
What if it's the time needed to beat the game? Oh snap!

That said, it looks awesome, kind of reminds me of Harmony of Dissonance in style which was one of the most colorful recent Castlevanias I can think of.

OnPoint said:

It is the time remaining in the current stage you're in at the time. Adventure ran on a weird time limit system where they gave you way more time than you actually need to clear a stage. But if the time runs out you die and the level restarts. But maybe since this is the ReBirth version maybe you might need all of that time now.

OnPoint said:
Well... shit. It will probably be a short game then. I was hoping people would be wrong.
All the Rebirth games are short! Why is this a problem? Maybe I'm different because I grew up playing arcade games, but as long as the 4 or 5 levels are fun and interesting, what's not to love, especially for 10 bucks?
Of course it would be ideal to get a nice, long, stage-based 2D game at some point, but the Rebirth titles are purely built to be arcade experiences, and in today's shitty market, we're lucky to get anything remotely like this.

Top Bottom