• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

i already see it happening, PP will shit in our faces again. the god damn slow menu weird navigation will be all over again in gt7.

oh and i wonder why they start to call this game .... different.

W
H
Y
?

i hate this trend of calling a continueing series different.
if they start doing this, companies are hoping for new people to join, but for me as a fan, that is the first move when the game starts to take a hit in terms of quality.

B
E
C
A
U
S
E
!

What a hyperbolic post.

Sakujou

Banned
so who is this UI designer?

my post wasnt hyperbolic. i was just disappointed how poorly gt5 was back then. it took ages until they patched a few things... gt6 was the true gt5. but havent played or bought it back then.

maybe i will give gts a try, but right now, iam totally not in the mood in really dipping into this game...

Noobcraft

I'm not impressed by GTS graphically, but there isn't a lot of content to judge it. They need to show some gameplay from gameplay camera angles, and maybe some shots from a different TOD/weather setting.

Or the shitty PS3 hardware couldn't handle it... just a thought.

Yes, the PS3 hardware couldn't handle it. That means they should've scaled down the resolution or whatever was most intensive to make it smoother.

Saying the PS3 was shitty doesn't just divert all blame from PD. 60FPS is possible on absolutely any kind of hardware, it's just a design decision of how low you want the graphics to go. PD should absolutely have taken them lower than they did. Instead, despite GT5 not getting 60FPS a lot of the time, they *increased* the resolution of GT6 and it runs like a total hog.

Yes, the PS3 hardware couldn't handle it. That means they should've scaled down the resolution or whatever was most intensive to make it smoother.

Saying the PS3 was shitty doesn't just divert all blame from PD. 60FPS is possible on absolutely any kind of hardware, it's just a design decision of how low you want the graphics to go. PD should absolutely have taken them lower than they did. Instead, despite GT5 not getting 60FPS a lot of the time, they *increased* the resolution of GT6 and it runs like a total hog.

It was a rather strange decision. They already had GT5 running at either higher than 720p or 720p with 4XAA. Both of which were odd given that the game had performance issues.

It was a rather strange decision. They already had GT5 running at either higher than 720p or 720p with 4XAA. Both of which were odd given that the game had performance issues.

Exactly. According to pixel counts, GT5 is 1280x1080 with (I think) 2xMSAA.

You'd think PD would see the unfavourable framerate and think "Maybe GT6 should be 1280x720 instead of x1080", but nope, they increased it to 1440x1080.

eso76

Managed to catch it happen slowly once by quickly switching between the interior camera views.

amswwemavl.gif

Holy shit.
I haven't seen gt6 in person, but this is amazing.
I never thought tessellation would happen in game, much less dynamically and so smoothly on top of that.
This is like, the definitive solution to first
polygonal
world problems.

And why does it look like it's missing in those Mazda cockpit closeups from GT Sport.

Also, I have no idea how can anyone begin to compare gt6 to gts, but I'll be honest, in that shot with the two AMG's that looks like something from a photo travel location of sorts, lighting isn't as convincing as I would have expected. I think Forza 6 forzavista, which uses a very similar stage, might even look a little bit better.

Niks

Aside from the obvious detail and texture resolution bumps (as a result the materials now look much more realistic), the obvious difference is in the lighting. Can't wait to see what it looks like under different times of day and weather conditions.

Yeah shaders look up to DC standards now. Also track geometry/textures look improved too.

Yiazmat

The car has a higher polycount too, the Mazda badge is now fully 3d and the wheels are smoother.

And the shaders are a thing of beauty, the carbon fiber doesn't look disgusting anymore.

Just give me the beta Kaz, I'm ready.

mjPdzVA.gif

Shin-Ra

Beautiful, varied metallic shaders in GT Sport but it'll be the shadow and image quality that impresses me if they're anywhere near that good in realtime.

curious to see how close the ingame models will get to the photo travel models.
I really don't know, but aren't the newest model in GT6 the same in gameplay and photo travel, just that in gameplay their LOD change depending the distance from the camera ? I'm just talking about polygonal model, not shader or lighting

EGOMON

I remember when we were impressed by GT6 graphics even compared to new gen titles, I guess it takes a GT to dethrone a GT

Yiazmat

GT Sport is clearly the most realistic one. Driveclub looks like a nickelodeon cartoon compared to GTS and the other 2 are just depressing.

Jesus, the hyperbole that I encounter every time a new GT is announced is insane.

The game looks as good as I expected, no more, no less. They always deliver the best car models and lighting without exception, however if you think that they are going to beat Driveclub in any other area at 60FPS, you're going to be disappointed.

That or we'll just see the same people pretending that GT looks a generation beyond the competition again like every console cycle. One of the two.

Good work from PD though as usual.

^ Bruh, it ain't even that deep. Don't get too worked up about people's excitement. :)

----

Hopefully we get some actual GTS gameplay soon. While I'm pretty sure the trailer is in engine and/or using in game assets, I don't think it should be included in comparisons just yet. Now if there's confirmation that is indeed what the game looks like when playing, then by all means, bring on more!

^ Bruh, it ain't even that deep. Don't get too worked up about people's excitement. :)

----

Hopefully we get some actual GTS gameplay soon. While I'm pretty sure the trailer is in engine and/or using in game assets, I don't think it should be included in comparisons just yet. Now if there's confirmation that is indeed what the game looks like when playing, then by all means, bring on more!

Hmmm, I don't get why people assume emotion from a forum post.

I did flip a table and simultaneously punch a baby while posting that though, so you may have a point.

It's just silly is all. I think I'm just out of touch with that level of enthusiasm for anything these days. The most I can conjure up usually when something cool get's shown is "that's pretty cool".

Hmmm, I don't get why people assume emotion from a forum post.

I did flip a table and simultaneously punch a baby while posting that though, so you may have a point.

It's just silly is all. I think I'm just out of touch with that level of enthusiasm for anything these days. The most I can conjure up usually when something cool get's shown is "that's pretty cool".
Hmmm. My bad for reading your post the wrong way then!

thelastword

Banned
Honestly I think NFS takes the title for graphics by miles.

The only negative thing to me is the film grain, which I assume someone will be able to edit within like 15 seconds of the PC release.
Did you play the beta, how could you say that, if you did......... NFS is not even close to being the best looking racer. DC is so far ahead of it techncially. As I always said though, the only game that will dethrone DC is GT, however, I won't say much about GTSport yet, because 1, it's not GT7 and 2, I have not seen enough footage of it.

I'm still waiting to see what graphical upgrades Evo patches into DC.

Did you play the beta, how could you say that, if you did......... NFS is not even close to being the best looking racer. DC is so far ahead of it techncially. As I always said though, the only game that will dethrone DC is GT, however, I won't say much about GTSport yet, because 1, it's not GT7 and 2, I have not seen enough footage of it.

I'm still waiting to see what graphical upgrades Evo patches into DC.

Yeah, night only NFS game really shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Drive Club.

Three

Exactly. According to pixel counts, GT5 is 1280x1080 with (I think) 2xMSAA.

You'd think PD would see the unfavourable framerate and think "Maybe GT6 should be 1280x720 instead of x1080", but nope, they increased it to 1440x1080.

You do know you can set the resolution in GT6 to 720p and it boosts framerate right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT4QUkyK6X4

Top Bottom