• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like RSX really is downgraded from the original spec (for now at least)

White Man said:
So you'd rather lose power than have something that sits behind your TV and you never have to look at?

I've never understood the power brick hate. I think at this point in gaming consoles, it's afairly natural option to put the PSU outside of the box.

Absolutely!

External power supply moves heat out of the case, reduces noise, and is replaceable if it fries. External PSU = good good good. Not cheap, though.

Diablos said:
I'm going to carefully come back in here with a couple of serious (meaning, not intended to start a flamewar) questions pertaining to RSX (Panajev, Faf, I'm looking at you):

50MHz cannot be that big of a deal. Like previously mentioned, overclock your GPU by 50MHz and then tell me if you get a significant or even considerable performance boost. You really don't. And that's on a PC with x86 architecture. PS3 is completely different and made for power in games... I cannot see how 50MHz is seriously going to hinder on the performance of RSX.

I've been out of the PS3 hardware loop, not even close to being interested like I was for PS2, because there's so much more to follow and it goes over my head. But I am slowly starting to become interested again. It seems like RSX, to begin with, was downgraded. Is this true? Or was it always at 550MHz?

Also, what's this about Xenos having more features? Panajev, you say "so what"... I'm assuming this implies you can still use RSX to do the same things if you take the time to instruct it to do so (whereas Xenos already knows how without being programmed to)?

Plus, isn't it a bit unrealistic to compare the RSX with high end nVidia PC GPU's? It's being used in a completely different architecture.

Well, I think what pana is saying is that while Xenos may be more feature rich (closer to SM3.0) than RSX (SM2.0), PS3 has CELL to do the various extra that entails like geometry shading... more over, it'll probably do a better job to boot, since SPEs give you a lot more freedom.

Also, unless there are holes in the PCB that fan doesn't make much sense... in such a dense environ it'll end up recycling a lot of hot air, or so I think. It's starting to seem like a large chunk of the PS3 case is empty space for airflow... if that's the case I can imagine there's gotta be a better configuration. Maybe, give the PS3 legs and open a hole on the bottom for the fan to exhaust, it could shrink the case by almost an inch, I'd imagine... man, I really wanna see the inside of the PS3.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Fafalada said:
Nintendo was very clever with steering away from it all this round - this way they can now resell GameCube with a new controller, and still noone feels let down except for precious few that let their wisfhull thinking get out of control.

About time someone said it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The size of the machine and the use of an external power supply simply doesn't bother me. It sits out of the way and will rarely be moved. I would never sacrifice power for size when dealing with a stationary machine.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Absolutely!

External power supply moves heat out of the case, reduces noise, and is replaceable if it fries. External PSU = good good good. Not cheap, though.
To be fair, the XBOX360 is extremely loud while the PS3 is supposedly as quiet as the PSTwo slim (confirmed by various people). It doesn't seem to have made a difference in this case.

White Man

dark10x said:
To be fair, the XBOX360 is extremely loud while the PS3 is supposedly as quiet as the PSTwo slim (confirmed by various people). It doesn't seem to have made a difference in this case.

I'd wait to hear on this one. Not a single PS3 has been manufactured, so you can't really judge.

Diablos

White Man said:
I'd wait to hear on this one. Not a single PS3 has been manufactured, so you can't really judge.
True. However, even though it's closer to PR than anything else, I do remember the official Sony PDF which plainly stated that the PS3 will be as quiet as the slim-line PStwo.

White Man

Diablos said:
True. However, even though it's closer to PR than anything else, I do remember the official Sony PDF which plainly stated that the PS3 will be as quiet as the slim-line PStwo.

I remember official Sony PDFs that said A LOT OF THINGS. As I said elsewhere, the system is over a half year late and it's supposed to be in manufacturing now (but it's not). Sony is just doing what needs to be done to get this thing manufactured. I'm sure silence isn't nearly as high a priority as it used to be.

Elios83

White Man said:
Not a single PS3 has been manufactured

This of course isn't true because a lot of samples of the final console have been produced and tested,mass production can't begin if they don't have final working console in their hands before.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Diablos said:
I've been out of the PS3 hardware loop, not even close to being interested like I was for PS2, because there's so much more to follow and it goes over my head. But I am slowly starting to become interested again. It seems like RSX, to begin with, was downgraded. Is this true? Or was it always at 550MHz?
As far as I know, RSX has never actually been running at 550MHz. A year ago it was announced that final unit will be running at 550MHz, but the models in devkits so far have been at 450MHz (old devkit) and 500Mhz (New (final?) devkit).

White Man said:
I'm sure silence isn't nearly as high a priority as it used to be.
The DVD drive is what makes the most noise in X360. BD drive in PS3 has got to be a lot quieter because it rotates a lot slower.

Well, I think what pana is saying is that while Xenos may be more feature rich (closer to SM3.0) than RSX (SM2.0)
Both are fully equipped SM3.0 parts.
SM2.0 is a thing of the past, even GF6800 was fully SM3.0 compliant.

White Man

Elios83 said:
This of course isn't true because a lot of samples of the final console have been produced and tested,mass production can't begin if they don't have final working console in their hands before.

I meant mass production, sorry if I wasn't clear. There's a big difference.

Elios83 said:
2 month left to " 2 millions of ps3 available worldwide- failure thread " :)

mckmas8808

tahrikmili said:
He speaks the truth.. However, in White Man's defense, with these specs it no longer looks like "TEGH BEAST!1!!eleven!!"..

Yeah because an extra 50 Mhz is the greatest the PS3 had over the 360 right?

alterego

Marconelly said:
As far as I know, RSX has never actually been running at 550MHz. A year ago it was announced that final unit will be running at 550MHz, but the models in devkits so far have been at 450MHz (old devkit) and 500Mhz (New (final?) devkit).

430Mhz

PolyGone

Banned
Wollan said:
I drew it just now.

funny, but you seem to forget that next gen technology isn't only decided by graphics horsepower. The only system with truly next gen controls is the Wii, its that simple.

mckmas8808

White Man said:
Sorry. I know for a fact that there are developers that Sony has been mum to about online plans, even when asked. Sony's online strategy is the same as their PS2 strategy.

You mean non-unified logins? Are you sure you meant to say this?

sol_bad

I havn't read the last three pages of this thread and I can't remember the first half of the thread.

But is it possible that Sony lowered the MHz but have improved other factors within the RSX?

mckmas8808

Hunter D said:
It appears nintendo is the smartest company this gen. The released a gamecube MMX version with a new controller and called it a day. The graphical leap from the current gen to next gen isn't as great as the graphical leap we all saw from the PS1 to the PS2.

Edit-You rat bastard:(

I rather spend my money on a next-gen system thank you.

;)

mckmas8808 said:
Yeah because an extra 50 Mhz is the greatest the PS3 had over the 360 right?

Yeah, as a matter of fact, GPU-wise it was the only thing it had over the 360 GPU. Now it has nothing and lacks features.

mckmas8808

tahrikmili said:
Yeah, as a matter of fact, GPU-wise it was the only thing it had over the 360 hardware. Now it has nothing and lacks features.

You need to read and understand this quote below bad.

PS3 developer said:
Not at all; in fact for many framebuffer effects I believe RSX will have an edge over Xenos. Don't want to go into details, but let me just point out that RSX is connected to two seperate buses, not just one.

Again this is from a PS3 dev (i.e. Heavenly Sword). So what is all this arguing about?

Dunpeal

Banned
Wollan said:
Well that was sort of my point with the PS3 there. It has all of these extra functions built in(and still avoiding annoyances like a loud fan..etc) and doesn't need to rely on add ons or pcs or whatever. In regards to Wii, it hasn't proven itself to be a step forward for standard franchises...yet. It's new gen, not next gen.

Right. That image just says one thing, "I'm a Ps3 fanboy".

Sorry wollan.

mckmas8808 said:
You need to read and understand this quote below bad.

Again this is from a PS3 dev (i.e. Heavenly Sword). So what is all this arguing about?

What were you expecting a PS3 dev to say "ZOMG MY HW IS GIMPED OUR GAMES WILL SUCK!" ? People on both camps have been claiming GPU superiority all the while, if you're going to believe the PS3 devs' story this easily, how can you question people who say Xenos will be better in the long run? :lol

tahrikmili said:
What were you expecting a PS3 dev to say "ZOMG MY HW IS GIMPED OUR GAMES WILL SUCK!" ? People on both camps have been claiming GPU superiority all the while, if you're going to believe the PS3 devs' story this easily, how can you question people who say Xenos will be better in the long run? :lol

Have you got any quotes to that effect? Ones that don't come from Major Nelson, mind you.

mckmas8808

tahrikmili said:

If you knew Marco you would know he is not one to BS. But carry on since you seem to know more than people creating PS3 games.:lol

alterego

sol_bad said:
I havn't read the last three pages of this thread and I can't remember the first half of the thread.

But is it possible that Sony lowered the MHz but have improved other factors within the RSX?

Aside from getting it to work with Cell (FlexIO etc) and additional caches on RSX (confirmed by the same person confirming the clock) it's possible there could be other customisations.

Stripping Purevideo and the 8 ROPs would possibly mean a ~50 million transistor discrepency between RSX and a G71 - room for extra logic.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
tahrikmili said:
Yeah, as a matter of fact, GPU-wise it was the only thing it had over the 360 GPU.

Both have things "over" the other, the only thing that has changed in some cases is to what extent. The differences between Xenos and RSX are overwhelmingly architectural rather than related to clockspeed, so as long as their clocks are within reasonable distance of one another, the relative peculiarities and pros and cons of each that are rooted in architecture are unlikely to change.

alterego

tahrikmili said:
Yeah, as a matter of fact, GPU-wise it was the only thing it had over the 360 GPU. Now it has nothing and lacks features.

This was not a matter of fact before and still isn't. Both GPU's are fairly evenly matched.

RSX has superior pixel shader performance.

Xenos has (if compared soley to RSX without factoring in Cell) superior vertex shader performance.

hadareud

The Translator
alterego said:
This was not a matter of fact before and still isn't. Both GPU's are fairly evenly matched.

RSX has superior pixel shader performance.

Xenos has (if compared soley to RSX without factoring in Cell) superior vertex shader performance.
where does this come from?

alterego

hadareud said:
where does this come from?

Shootmymonkey @ B3D (aka cpiasminc @ PSINEXT) who is a multiplatform developer has been pretty specific about areas where RSX and Xenos outdo each other.
He's not the only dev to comment either.

These are not new revelations.

Raistlin

knitoe said:
3) Yeah. Physics and animation are more important, but graphics are still head and shoulders above it. Order of importance: graphics, gameplay, physics/animations. Do you have a problem with that order?

I'm just now catching up on this thread ... so bear with me if this has already been gone over ...

Anyway, I've read this sentiment from you several times already, so I feel it must be discussed. Can you please explain how animation is not directly tied to graphics?

Throughout gaming history, there have been games lauded for being ‘advanced’ graphically due to their animation – while in still pictures they didn’t necessarily look as good as some other games. Yet while playing, everyone though the game looked incredible. Stuff like Flashback, Prince of Persia, Virtua Fighter, etc. In this scenario however, we still have a GPU that is very comparable – yet a CPU that will allow animation (and physics which IS tied to graphics and potentially gameplay) that may not be realistic on 360.

To separate animation is just ridiculous. If anything I would argue animation is FAR more important this generation – since problems with it become more noticeable the better ‘the graphics’ are.

dalyr95

What was Wollan posting?

AFAIK it has always been accepted thinking that the Xenos has slighly better performance, but the CELL rapes Xenon

But downgrageton rumors have been going around for ages, I'm waiting for confirmation either way before SONY AM DOOM3D!!

szaromir

Banned
Now we know that Xenos has 240GFLOPS of shader performance (unified architecture), whereas RSX has 232GFLOPS of shader performance, splittind to 192GFLOPS of Pixel Shader and 40GFLOPS of Vertex Shader. I guess we can see a situation when Xenos is better at both PS and VS :)

Although comparing only FLOPS number is probably quite lame and is no indicator of real performance.

BTW I wonder why some of you think that PS3 will allow better animation? It has the same amount of RAM as 360 and unless we're talking about some kind of procedurally generated animations I don't see what hardware advantage PS3 actually has to have better animations in games.

Raistlin

PS3 developer said:
Not at all; in fact for many framebuffer effects I believe RSX will have an edge over Xenos. Don't want to go into details, but let me just point out that RSX is connected to two seperate buses, not just one.

[note: I'm not a gaming dev, and though I'm a SW dev - I'm not all that familiar with HW architecture and graphics programming]

I believe part of the issue with the 360 is that the (back?) buffer MUST be in the EDRAM for output ... whereas on the PS3 it can be anywhere in memory.

The EDRAM gives 360 certain advantages, but it also has certain costs. Post postprocessing is one of its disadvantages.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
dalyr95 said:
What was Wollan posting?
A totally Gahiggid-esque drawing made by himself. I mean, I am sure he is a nice chap in person and all that, but I'll be damned if this doesn't make me laugh :lol

Edit: Damn you Wollan, this is the GAF way. You make it, we laugh at you :D

dark10x said:

I hate to imagine how louder and hotter the 360 would have been with the PSU inside the case. My comment had nothing to do with the 360, just an endorsement of external PSUs in general. They aren't a panacea but that doesn't mean they aren't a good thing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
szaromir said:
Now we know that Xenos has 240GFLOPS of shader performance (unified architecture), whereas RSX has 232GFLOPS of shader performance, splittind to 192GFLOPS of Pixel Shader and 40GFLOPS of Vertex Shader. I guess we can see a situation when Xenos is better at both PS and VS :)

not necessarily. While Xenos is unified, it can still only do one thing at a time. So if its doing 240GFLOPS of vertex shading it is indeed owning the RSX, but then it isn't doing any pixel shading. So its likely that the unified approach would need to be split anyway. Its just that the unified approach allows that split to be flexible.

I'd have thought that the RSX approach is good - spend most of your processing effort on pixel shading (where a GPU really excels in a console environment), and let the CELL back up your vertex processing (where the SPEs really excel).

Raistlin

szaromir said:
Although comparing only FLOPS number is probably quite lame and is no indicator of real performance.

Regardless of FLOPS, I believe RSX can perform more pixel shader operations per clock.

They are totally different architectures ... so simply throwing out frequency and FLOP numbers is ambiguous at best.

BTW I wonder why some of you think that PS3 will allow better animation? It has the same amount of RAM as 360 and unless we're talking about some kind of procedurally generated animations I don't see what hardware advantage PS3 actually has to have better animations in games.

That's the point ... precedurally generated animation and physics is the direction 3D gaming is moving in (and has been for quite some time).

mckmas8808

PolyGone said:
funny, but you seem to forget that next gen technology isn't only decided by graphics horsepower. The only system with truly next gen controls is the Wii, its that simple.

Yeah because the PS3 controller doesn't have any motion tech in it either. :rolleyes:

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Onix said:
They are totally different architectures ... so simply throwing out frequency and FLOP numbers is ambiguous at best.

but FLOP is a great word. Nearly as good as SMOCK.

Top Bottom