• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (WiiWare) - Now up on NA Wiiware, 1000 Points

Gilgamesh

That screenshot is awesome, and annoying. Why only one? :(

ace harding: private eye said:
Of course it would be ideal to get a nice, long, stage-based 2D game at some point, but the Rebirth titles are purely built to be arcade experiences, and in today's shitty market, we're lucky to get anything remotely like this.
Castlevania was never an arcade game though.

Sega

Gilgamesh said:

Actually it was, and it was called "Haunted Castle". Then there's the new 3D first person Castlevania whipping game, and the NES version was even in the arcades under the PlayChoice line.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Gilgamesh said:

Fun fact! I started gaming after playing a Castlevania arcade machine for a week straight on a cruise ship when I was 8.

Gilgamesh said:

Most Castlevanias were never that long. The longest one I can remember was the Castlevania 64 adventure game on N64

andymcc

Banned
gamergirly said:
Most Castlevanias were never that long. The longest one I can remember was the Castlevania 64 adventure game on N64

errr... Castlevania III is comparatively long to other NES games... Drac X is pretty huge...

not to mention the Iga-vanias. Those are usually kinda long. (longer than CV64, at that.)

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
CO_Andy said:
Why can't all $10 games be as awesome and long as Bionic Commando Rearmed?

Because they decided that $14.99 was the new $9.99. Some companies insist on the new $9.99 being $19.99 though. :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gilgamesh said:

Please tell me you're not an adult. :lol

andymcc said:
errr... Castlevania III is comparatively long to other NES games... Drac X is pretty huge...

not to mention the Iga-vanias. Those are usually kinda long. (longer than CV64, at that.)

I'm used to playing rpgs. So "long" has a different meaning for me. Never played Dracula X

andymcc said:
length should not be gauged by rpg standards. :lol

17 to 20ish hours for the optional bosses, items, and sidequests, especially the recent GBA/DS versions is not really "that long". I do remember dying a hell of alot on the old NES versions(Castlevania II) so that beefs up the play time. But I get what you mean. And CV64 WAS long for just a regular run through, just depended on who you decided to play the game with.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
thetrin said:
Please tell me you're not an adult. :lol

To be fair to him, it wasn't really that common of a game. My former university's lounge was the only time I saw the game in the wild...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
cartman414 said:
It was kind of dated though, and sounded farty at times whenever it went low frequency.

Only the 3d titles, if anything.

Actually, if you are into electronic music, 'farty' sounds are in at the moment... (sadly)

Foffy

Banned
Gilgamesh said:

Is that why there are three separate Castlevania games for the arcade? Sure, one's a port, but the other two are unique games.

You all found Castlevania 64 long? I thought it was somewhat medium length. I actually feel Super Castlevania IV is longer.

Now Legacy of Darkness, I haven't played (though I would really love to since CV64 is my favorite in the series), so I don't know how long that is.

Why would you do that? said:
You all found Castlevania 64 long? I thought it was somewhat medium length. I actually feel Super Castlevania IV is longer.

Now Legacy of Darkness, I haven't played (though I would really love to since CV64 is my favorite in the series), so I don't know how long that is.

LoD has a lot more levels in the main mode, because the new main character, Cornell, goes through every stage from both modes from the original Castlevania for N64, plus several new ones (that is, he goes through every level in the game in order). However, Cornell's really powerful, so fights and boss fights are much easier with him than they are with the other characters. Also, unlike the original there's no time limit, so you don't need to worry about time when trying to finish it properly.

Once you beat it with Cornell, you unlock a second, short mode. Complete that and find the things in it and you unlock modes with the two original characters, similar to their modes n the original game but with a few changes.

It's definitely got more content than the original CV64, that's for sure... though even that one did have some replay value, with working towards getting the good endings if you took too long the first time, and with how there are two characters to play each with several exclusive stages.

Anyway, yeah, the first two Game Boy games were kind of short, but the first one was supposed to be a portable game and didn't have passwords or anything, so it made sense to make it shorter -- make it too long and people likely won't be able to finish it, given that handheld gaming sessions are often shorter than major-console ones, I think.

Of course a remake of it hopefully would be a bit longer, particularly coming on Wii, but a short, fun game wouldn't be that bad either. :)

OnPoint

All the Rebirth games are short! Why is this a problem? Maybe I'm different because I grew up playing arcade games, but as long as the 4 or 5 levels are fun and interesting, what's not to love, especially for 10 bucks?
Of course it would be ideal to get a nice, long, stage-based 2D game at some point, but the Rebirth titles are purely built to be arcade experiences, and in today's shitty market, we're lucky to get anything remotely like this.

Hey hey, I grew up playing arcade games too, put the members only card away lol I'm aware of the length of the games, but Gradius Rebirth was about as long as a normal Gradius title. I just was kind of hoping for something that took longer than 30 minutes to complete. I'm going to play it, and I'm pretty sure I'll love every minute of it, but I'll be damned if I don't want a full-length old-style 2D Castlevania at some point again before I die.

Gilgamesh said:

My memories of playing it in a movie theatre must betray me ;)

Mak

I can't wait to play this. I've never played the original GB games, I'm guessing IGA worked on this and this sort of like a way to do a Chronicles version of The Adventure.

The ReBirth games are like short arcade style games that take about 30min, and I think they're meant to be replayed at higher difficulties with different characters/ships. I still haven't beaten loop 3 of Gradius ReBirth because its so hard. Dracula X: Rondo of Blood can be beaten in about an hour the first time through. The original Castlevania, and Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES) take about 30min to beat, assuming you don't die too much.

Didn't Bionic Commando Rearmed start as a PSP project then moved to a downloadable game, and was priced lower than it normally would in order to promote the new retail Bionic Commando game? Mega Man 9 was priced at $10, and becomes $18 if you include the dlc.

I'm not saying the ReBirth games are as great as previous games (Contra 4 is way better than ReBirth), but I like the concept of them making these new downloadable entries that you can just pick up and play in a short amount of time.

I made a few quick videos of Gradius ReBirth and Contra ReBirth a while ago if anyone hasn't seen the games in action.

Gradius ReBirth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1LheVgnEMc
Contra ReBirth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuIwDbFVEEU

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
djtiesto said:
To be fair to him, it wasn't really that common of a game. My former university's lounge was the only time I saw the game in the wild...

I see where you're coming from, but judging from the replies to his post, it's not exactly a rare piece of knowledge.

Gilgamesh

thetrin said:
I see where you're coming from, but judging from the replies to his post, it's not exactly a rare piece of knowledge.
But alas, it is a rare piece of knowledge to the one who doesn't know it.

zyeoub.jpg

djtiesto said:

There's also Vs. Castlevania you know (unless it's been mentioned?), from the NES Vs. Series arcade games... they were usually not exactly the same as the original home cart versions of the games, so I think they do count for something at least. :)

Foffy

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
There's also Vs. Castlevania you know (unless it's been mentioned?), from the NES Vs. Series arcade games... they were usually not exactly the same as the original home cart versions of the games, so I think they do count for something at least. :)

Outside of Haunted Castle and Vs. Castlevania, a new arcade 'vania came out recently - Castlevania: THE ARCADE, a first person LED whipping game.

Could we see this on the PS3 one day, using the wand? I hope so!

zweifuss

It'd be cool if this was both Castlevania Adventure and Belmont's Revenge in one game. The 2nd game was clearly superior in every way. Or so I heard; I never actually played the first one on Gameboy. Rolling eyeballs ftw though.

Also, what's going on with those skellies in the third shot?

ss_03.jpg

Are they being killed by the axe subweapon or is something else doing it?

I'm going to buy this but damn if it doesn't look like a poor man's GBA game. That's possibly the worst Belmont design I've ever seen.

D.Lo

Hmm, looks like an upscaled Gba game. Has that kind of cartoony 'chunky' look. Also a big like Bloodlines, which is expected as these rebirth games have all looked a bit 'Megadrive' with garish colors and sparse backgrounds.

I also fail to see the connection with the original Gb game. No ropes, and the Japanese versions were called 'Legend of Dracula' anyway.

thefro

Nuclear Muffin said:
Still no shots past stage 3, please don't only be 4 stages long like the GB game!

Probably will be 4-5 stages long with a second loop or harder difficulty level like the other 2 Rebirth games.

andymcc

Banned
D.Lo said:
Hmm, looks like an upscaled Gba game. Has that kind of cartoony 'chunky' look. Also a big like Bloodlines, which is expected as these rebirth games have all looked a bit 'Megadrive' with garish colors and sparse backgrounds.

I also fail to see the connection with the original Gb game. No ropes, and the Japanese versions were called 'Legend of Dracula' anyway.

saying something has garish colors is pretty debatable. in fact, that's a word i use frequently in describing the colors of super castlevania iv! :lol (bloodlines isn't the prettiest genny or mega drive game, you are correct there.)

ss_01.jpg

that reads "dracula densetsu", which is "legend of dracula".

Ranger X

D.Lo said:

Not really. I've had somewhat a similar impression but I went and dig up screens of Aria of Sorrow (best looking one on GBA) and Rebirth looks quite significantly better. You really benefit from a higher res. The graphic quality here is more somewhere between Dawn of Sorrow and SOTN.

zweifuss said:
Also, what's going on with those skellies in the third shot?
ss_03.jpg

Are they being killed by the axe subweapon or is something else doing it?
I'd wager it's the huge bloody spike running through them.
D.Lo said:
I also fail to see the connection with the original Gb game.
Have you played the original recently? The less connection, the better. I agree with everyone wishing they remade Belmont's Revenge instead.
Anony said:
is it me or do the sprites look too cartoony
Dracula X had cartoony sprites.
evilromero said:
I'm going to buy this but damn if it doesn't look like a poor man's GBA game. That's possibly the worst Belmont design I've ever seen.
Have you not played Haunted Castle or Castlevania X68000?

Princess Skittles said:
Am I the only one that would have embraced a remade Simon's Quest?
I'd love to see a Simon's Quest remake. The game had an unbelievably cool atmosphere, but the confusing backtracking turned a lot of people off. It's still one of my favorites.

zweifuss

I'd wager it's the huge bloody spike running through them.

Ah ok I see it now. Well that's cool. I appreciate games where enemies aren't invulnerable to environmental traps.

lyre

Ranger X said:
Not really. I've had somewhat a similar impression but I went and dig up screens of Aria of Sorrow (best looking one on GBA) and Rebirth looks quite significantly better. You really benefit from a higher res. The graphic quality here is more somewhere between Dawn of Sorrow and SOTN.

Considering Dawn of Sorrow lifts sprites straight from SotN, the range between the two games is razor thin. Rebirth more resembles a more detailed Bloodlines or almost there SC4.

andymcc said:
what's worse, the high heels, the shorts or the fur? i'm having difficulty picking here. :lol
And people wonder why I hate Kojima sans SotN and AoS.

And you fight goofy looking skeletons, fish people and werewolves in CV games; cartoony sprites shouldn't be anything new to fans. >:p

Top Bottom