• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So someone please tell me you can turn off all/most hud elements on pc, right now thank you very much.

edit : I realize the stream camera in the bottom right isn't part of the game's hud but the rest... dear god it's like those MW2 parody screens

capturebkon7.png

capture1m7rhp.png

Sethos

Banned
So someone please tell me you can turn off all/most hud elements on pc, right now thank you very much.

edit : I realize the stream camera in the bottom right isn't part of the game's hud but the rest... dear god it's like those MW2 parody screens

Don't worry Corky, when you're playing in glorious 1080p+ the elements will shrink down and everything is good in the world.

If not, I'll burn a puppy.

How much do you think this and forza will overlap? Not sure i can give enough time to both, and both look similar - albeit with forza being slightly more simmy and this being slightly more arcadey

Probably not a great amount. Forza Horizon is "what if Forza 4, PGR 4 and Test Drive Unlimited was in a blender", while this is balls to the wall arcade racing in a similar manner to Burnout.

saladine1

The sounds are fucking crazy!
Over the top NFS at it's best..the gear changes, the gearbox and engine oscillation,the backfire,the exhaust crackles..etc...it makes me warm all over..
oh, and the reverb that resonates while driving through a tunnel is probably the best implementation i've ever heard...fucking ever heard. Absolutely brutal!

But what the fuck?
I can understand no cockpit view but no bonnet view?
Fuck me sideways..

...and no manual transmission..?
Fuck me sideways again..

Did EA send out a single PS3 copy to the press? Every single video I've seen is of people playing the 360 version. This is a Criterion game for fuck's sake. They don't hide their PS3 build from anyone. In fact, it's usually the one they show off.

It's also possible the 360 centric press just choose the 360 version when asked.

Those are multiplayer screens. The single player HUD isn't nearly as large. The HUD also might shrink during multiplayer races.

How much do you think this and forza will overlap? Not sure i can give enough time to both, and both look similar - albeit with forza being slightly more simmy and this being slightly more arcadey

This post made me laugh considering it was posted on the same page as that cop car gif.

Mario007

Any footage of the Vita version yet?

Also anyone from retail that could tell us how are the versions selling on different platforms?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Don't worry Corky, when you're playing in glorious 1080p+ the elements will shrink down and everything is good in the world.

If not, I'll burn a puppy.

I sure hope so, if that shit scales and becomes large at higher resolutions I'll join you in the puppy burning.

Those are multiplayer screens. The single player HUD isn't nearly as large. The HUD also might shrink fueling actual multiplayer races.

Ok, good to hear.

That HUD is a bit of a monstrosity. Turning off certain elements of it would be ideal or at least possibly sizing them down.

About the takedown camera or lack thereof, anyone find confirmation of it being able to flipped on or off? I love having it on. I find it to be one of Criterion's trademarks.

Peterthumpa

The HUD is really a mess, aesthetically. I hope there's a way to turn it partially or totally off on PC, since the rest of the game is simply gorgeous.

Tankshell

Hey guys,

Will be getting this game on Origin next week, in order to add in game friends will it use your Origin ID or will it use a different Autolog ID? Or are they one and the same these days?

Apparently there are some framerate issues on the 360.

These devs have been known to have a borderline-unprofessional bias in favor of the PS3. You will have to pull up some really ancient 1Up Yours podcast for the details regarding this but when Burnout Paradise was in development, they essentially phoned the 360 development in while putting a lot of attention and enthusiasm into the PS3 version because it was "their heritage"... And it showed.

These devs have been known to have a borderline-unprofessional bias in favor of the PS3. You will have to pull up some really ancient 1Up Yours podcast for the details regarding this but when Burnout Paradise was in development, they essentially phoned the 360 development in while putting a lot of attention and enthusiasm into the PS3 version because it was "their heritage"... And it showed.

Uh, no. Not even close.

Yes, Criterion have been very fond of Sony platforms over the years, but their work is always stellar on every platform. The 360 version of Paradise was rock solid, and 99% identical to the PS3 version.

netBuff

Yeah, I'm sure that's totally it, and not more sane reasons - like technical divergences.

At this point, we don't even know the exact differences between the two versions, just scattered reports that really don't mean much.

Does everyone think the PS3 the primary build of the game? Even over the PC?

Does everyone think the PS3 the primary build of the game? Even over the PC?

Not really. For the game's initial unveiling they showed the PC version. At the Eurogamer expo a month ago, they showed the PS3 version. At recent media events all versions were on display.

These guys do great work on every platform, so you can't go wrong with any of them. If you're a bit OCD like me, there may be very small differences, but most people wouldn't even notice them.

Is this using Frostbite? It's just I notice the resolution is the same as The Run (1280x704).

It's running on Criterion's own engine, as all of their games do. Where did you notice that resolution?

saladine1

The handling is way off for me. It just isn't responsive enough. Not tight enough. I'm finding myself smashing and crashing more often than I should be. I thought Criterion was going to tighten it up a bit?
sigh..

Would this benefit from using a racing wheel or is it so arcadey that controller input is preferred more?

This is coming from a guy who plays GT with a wheel but Burnout Paradise with a controller.

Orca

The handling is way off for me. It just isn't responsive enough. Not tight enough. I'm finding myself smashing and crashing more often than I should be. I thought Criterion was going to tighten it up a bit?
sigh..

Same thing I felt at the start. Some cars felt better but it's frustrating to feel like a crash wasn't my fault.

Same thing I felt at the start. Some cars felt better but it's frustrating to feel like a crash wasn't my fault.

Earlier you talked about a framerate drop and sound stutters when entering a "settings" menu.

Were you talking about the in game menus where you adjust tires, cars, efc?

Are you playing over optical audio by chance?

Also, have you been noticing framerate problems in game at all? Sound stutters in game?

Thanks.

saladine1

How is it compared to HP? Still like tanks?
Yes it is imo. I hated HP's handling and quit playing purely because of it.
It's a little better in MW but yeah, still slow.

In the original MW, taking out cops was easy because steering input was responsive and direct. It's much harder and a little more frustrating in this game however.

The handbrake is another issue. It's too fucking sensitive. A pull of the e brake sends you spinning in a 360 in most cases unlike other games where the E brake drift is gradual and satisfying.

The game is gorgeous, the sounds are brutal, effects are very nice but no hood view, no manual transmission and wonky handling is fucking killing it for me!

Yes it is imo. I hated HP's handling and quit playing purely because of it.
It's a little better in MW but yeah, still slow.

In the original MW, taking out cops was easy because steering input was responsive and direct. It's much harder and a little more frustrating in this game however.

The handbrake is another issue. It's too fucking sensitive. A pull of the e brake sends you spinning in a 360 in most cases unlike other games where the E brake drift is gradual and satisfying.

The game is gorgeous, the sounds are brutal, effects are very nice but no hood view, no manual transmission and wonky handling is fucking killing it for me!

I'm even thinking that the handling in HP lends itself better to the open, winding roads compared to the tight turns and congested traffic of MW's city. I'm looking forward to finally trying it out tomorrow night but thanks for the input.

Valient

Hey guys,

Will be getting this game on Origin next week, in order to add in game friends will it use your Origin ID or will it use a different Autolog ID? Or are they one and the same these days?

isn't your autolog ID the same as your origin if i recall from NFS:HP? i would think it would pull all your friends from origin but i don't remember playing much Miltiplayer HP

I think there might be some differences in the trophy and achievement lists for this game. Here is a video of the PS3 version, and he unlocks a trophy called "How I roll".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=doHXcq6CQHE#t=439s

Checking the achievements list for the 360 version there is no achievement with that title.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/need-for-speed-most-wanted-criterion/achievements/

How I Roll is not on the PS3 Trophy list either. Strange :/

jayb

The handling being more like HP is exactly what I was afraid of, and is almost a deal breaker for me. It should handle more like BP.

think I'll skip getting this on release day, and just wait for a price drop.

How I Roll is not on the PS3 Trophy list either. Strange :/

Its entirely possible that the build being played is relatively old and has old trophy data. Trophy names change all the time and if the build being played is based off a pre submission build, it is entirely possible the trophy name was simply changed.

Top Bottom