• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lonely1 said:
I'm seriously worried of the IR pointer (or equivalent) future. That shit needs to stay.
Agreed. IR pointer and split controller are easily my favorite things about the Wii, and I'd much prefer both to stay. Split controller especially, I'd take that over a traditional gamepad on any console.

Pyrokai

lunchwithyuzo said:
Agreed. IR pointer and split controller are easily my favorite things about the Wii, and I'd much prefer both to stay. Split controller especially, I'd take that over a traditional gamepad on any console.

This quote is full of truth.

Huff

Banned
oatmeal said:
I'm saying that the Wii tapped into a market that has people buying the Wii that aren't 'videogamers'.

How can you possibly argue that?

You think all of those retirement homes that have Wii's because the Wii Bowling made the old folk feel good are going to upgrade?

I think we have different definitions of 'casuals'. I'm describing it as people that are new to the gaming and aren't really gamers at all, and perhaps that's not accurate.

I just don't know what to call this market that Nintendo has tapped...because it's been a huge part of their success.

They tapped into a market that hasn't been tapped before. It broadly increased the market, and just because of a new generation/product, the market is going to shrink back to a state without these new people? I don't buy that logic.

Edit: Okay, agree to disagree. : )

They definitely expanded the market they want to sell Mario Kart and Mario Bros. to, which can't hurt.

Chrange said:
They come with them now? The listing didn't show that and I haven't bought a wiimote in ages. In any case, you're still looking at a $70 plus tax controller. $100 doesn't seem that out of the question for them to ask after that.

Yeah the 'Wii Remote Plus Controller' contains the gyro thing without the extra length.

oatmeal

Banned
BroHuffman said:
They tapped into a market that hasn't been tapped before. It broadly increased the market, and just because of a new generation/product, the market is going to shrink back to a state without these new people? I don't buy that logic.

I think that we'll just have to agree to disagree on that then.

No harm done :)

Mr_Brit

Banned
H_Prestige said:
Same will be true for 3DS as well.
What? Infinity blade is already out and looks a lot better than 3DS games, 96mb of RAM is just too little to put out decent textures. We'll start seeing a big jump in iOS graphics when devs drop iphone 3GS and ipad 1 support.

GUYS!
Guys.
Maybe we're getting conflicting reports becasue the sources looked at two different things running on wii2. Maybe one person saw the Mii Maker equivalent/some cheapo mini games, and it didn't look super awesome, so they said a notch above 360
Maybe another source saw a tech demo running that blew them away, so they said 'significantly better'
Are you going to pretend that if you saw carnival games running on wii you wouldn't say 'a notch above ps2' but if you saw SMG2 you would say 'SIGNIFICANTLY'? THey both are running on the same hardwasre, yet look LEAGUES apart
A crappy port of a 360 sports game previewed will leave less stellar impressions than Mario running around huge sweeping plains on planets miles big in space.

Zeliard

Lonely1 said:
I'm seriously worried of the IR pointer (or equivalent) future. That shit needs to stay.

Definitely. Nintendo should ideally split up the functionality if they want to have a more traditional dual analog this time around. Keep the pointer/nunchuk and dual analog controllers separate, but include them all in the bundle. Devs should then offer choice in applicable games between what people want to use, e.g. dual analog or pointer in a shooter.

It should become a normal thing to offer support for different controller configurations. We need to see consoles evolve in that area.

Mr_Brit said:
What? Infinity blade is already out and looks a lot better than 3DS games. We'll start seeing a big jump in iOS graphics when devs drop iphone 3GS and ipad 1 support.

That'll be a while as ATT just launched their $49 iPhone 3GS deals

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Mr_Brit said:
What? Infinity blade is already out and looks a lot better than 3DS games. We'll start seeing a big jump in iOS graphics when devs drop iphone 3GS and ipad 1 support.
IB is also an-on rails, 100% scripted with fixed camera game that can't support more than 2 characters on screen.

nincompoop said:
How do you explain the Call of Duty series being ported to the Wii with the gameplay entirely intact? Modern Warfare wasn't ambitious? Almost every PS360 game could have received a similar treatment if developers were willing to put a modicum of effort into their ports.
It being a glorified version of duck hunt built on an expanded Quake 3 engine, is how. Despite that, certain gameplay segments still had to be removed, its an anomoly, nothing more.

Curufinwe

Mr_Brit said:
What? Infinity blade is already out and looks a lot better than 3DS games, 96mb of RAM is just too little to put out decent textures. We'll start seeing a big jump in iOS graphics when devs drop iphone 3GS and ipad 1 support.

They're not going to be dropping iPad 1 support anytime soon.

squicken

Working on the assumption that it's roughly in the class of 360/PS3, this better be a hell of a controller/screen. The Wii "fad" is clearly over, in that it's not the hot gadget for soccer moms. They aren't going to upgrade their Wiis just for HD gfx. And the CoD "core" crowd aren't going to upgrade just to play 360 games with marginally better gfx.

They need an Oblivion. Something that is only possible on their hardware and higher spec PCs. That would get the core crowd, and their tradition as a safe harbor for families would steadily bring in the more mainstream consumers as price fell.

slopeslider said:
GUYS!
Guys.
Maybe we're getting conflicting reports becasue the sources looked at two different things running on wii2. Maybe one person saw the Mii Maker equivalent/some cheapo mini games, and it didn't look super awesome, so they said a notch above 360
Maybe another source saw a tech demo running that blew them away, so they said 'significantly better'
Are you going to pretend that if you saw carnival games running on wii you wouldn't say 'a notch above ps2' but if you saw SMG2 you would say 'SIGNIFICANTLY'? THey both are running on the same hardwasre, yet look LEAGUES apart
A crappy port of a 360 sports game previewed will leave less stellar impressions than Mario running around huge sweeping plains on planets miles big in space.

It's also possible they have 2 versions of the system but haven't nailed down the specs yet.

Remember 3DS was suppose to have Tegra 2 in it?

I wonder if the 3DS could be used as the controller. Just a thought but other than the dual analog part everything else sounds like 3DS could just as easily be used as a controller for it.

Thoraxes

Mr_Brit said:
Comparing one game to a whole system's games is unfair. If we compare the 3DS's graphical prowess in games to the whole of iOS games, there's a totally different story.

Just because iOS is compatible with UE4 doesn't make it the greatest graphical device on the market at the moment; hardly any games, in the pool of all the iOS games, use it. Also doesn't mean that Nintendo doesn't have some quality developers making some quality titles for the system.

Also, after seeing what John Carmack can do with some efficient code, I honestly think anyone can make the best looking games for any system if they have some coding prowess and ingenuity. The engines are nice, but if someone can make something even more efficient and better looking from scratch, i'd rather that happen.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Lonely1 said:
IB is also an-on rails, 100% scripted with fixed camera game that can't support more than 2 characters on screen.
Sounds like Super Street Fighter, considered the best looking game on the 3DS. :p

JCRedeems

Banned
DeathNote said:
If you can't buy Wii 2 after 6 years you might have bigger problems. Like... if you can barely afford to live... you need to change something.

I have priorities with my money. It's harder these days when gas is approaching $5 a gallon, food prices are increasing etc. If gaming becomes too expensive than I have no problem spending my cash on something else for fun and enterntainment.

ElRenoRaven

You know having slept over night I still think that if and that's a big if it has a screen it won't be 6 inches. I just think that assuming it does the size was blown out of proportion. I really think if it has a screen I could see a screen about the size of the IGN mock up.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
chubigans said:
Sounds like Super Street Fighter, considered the best looking game on the 3DS. :p
It has a much more dynamic game overall, though. :) (and runs at 60fps with 3D off). Plus is not on-rails.

If any part of the R700 rumor is true I don't see how the system could be only a "notch" greater in power than the 360. If they cut the CPU power by half of what the 360 has and it's the lowest end of the R700 family then maybe it would almost balance out but I'm not sure if even that would be enough.

Mr_Brit said:

If we just cherry pick games, than I can point out PSP games that look more "advanced" than anything on phones.

Thoraxes

DeathNote said:
$40 + $20 for nunchuck + tax
O: I thought we were just talking Wii remotes. Well then yes, you are correct.

Though, I tend to buy a lot of my products used nowadays, so i'm sure you could probably find a Nunchuk for much cheaper than new price, unless you need to have it new. YYMV with person to person though.

I agree it's disappointing, however I would think it unwise of Nintendo to try and compete (raw performance) with Sony or Microsoft.

Could they? Absolutely, but they really don't need to (to the degree some of you want).

Mr_Brit

Banned
Thoraxes said:
Comparing one game to a whole system's games is unfair. If we compare the 3DS's graphical prowess in games to the whole of iOS games, there's a totally different story.

Just because iOS is compatible with UE4 doesn't make it the greatest graphical device on the market at the moment; hardly any games, in the pool of all the iOS games, use it. Also doesn't mean that Nintendo doesn't have some quality developers making some quality titles for the system.
There's nothing to compare, NGP and iOS devices are in another plane of graphics to the Wii. Even the relatively weak ipad 1 thrashes the 3DS and that's whilst running at a much, much higher resolution.

I'm not talking about the quality of games, that is up to the developers.

Mr_Brit

Banned
H_Prestige said:
If we just cherry pick games, than I can point out PSP games that look more "advanced" than anything on phones.
I'm comparing the best of iOS to the best of 3DS and also taking into consideration the gulf in their specs and 3DS unfortunately can't match what is being output. Thanks to pixel shaders and 3D it won't be left behind as much as the DS was though so it should get better dev support than the DS did.

I check in today and the updates are pretty disappointing. The controller is sounding kind of dumb/weird and the graphics are disappointing. Nintendo should spend less money on tablet controllers and more on the other parts :p

Still excited to see it.

Brinbe

-Pyromaniac- said:
I check in today and the updates are pretty disappointing. The controller is sounding kind of dumb/weird and the graphics are disappointing. Nintendo should spend less money on tablet controllers and more on the other parts :p

Still excited to see it.
Yeah, the more that gets leaked, the less hyped I've become. Oh well.

Mr_Brit said:
I'm comparing the best of iOS to the best of 3DS and also taking into consideration the gulf in their specs and 3DS unfortunately can't match what is being output. Thanks to pixel shaders and 3D it won't be left behind as much as the DS was though so it should get better dev support than the DS did.
What's the "best of 3DS" that you're specifically comparing Infinity Blade too?

J-Rock

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:

Still excited to see it.

You sound confused.

In this topic:

uncharted3_21.jpg

= Disappointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom