• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Vita Specs - including RAM (512MB+128MB confirmed)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
onQ123 said:
http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/develop2011/PSVitaCodingKeynote.pdf

I seen this PDF lastnight when I was searching the internet it's from a keynote in July I'm not sure if it has been posted

Nice find. The other presentation it links to is also interesting.

http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/develop2011/BuildingCommunitywithPlayStationNetwork.pdf

Has a slide that describes the OS, and the flow between different sections.

w4k1I.png

Close-ups of the sections:

Gwerg.png

gEevZ.png

Svr8C.png

1KyoO.png

Clearly these specific pics are mocks, but I didn't know about the 'index' part, and it's maybe encouraging (again) about being able to flick pretty easily between gameplay and other things on the system - if the vision here materialises.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
KAL2006 said:
Is index mode, basically the in game XMB

I think the Live Mode and Index Mode would be collectively analagous to a in-game XMB.

Would guess that Index Mode is a quick way to view the apps you have open currently, but dunno. Like an expanded version of the bar at the top of the screen that appears to show icons for open apps. Or maybe it's a 'most used' list of apps. I wouldn't take the apps shown there (including games) as gospel wrt the kind of apps you could have open all at once - these are just mocks.

KAL2006

Banned
The image with LittleBigPlanet stuff is the in game XMB I think. The LiveArea, it seems you can suspend a game and check the LiveArea where you can check trophies, message, leaderboards, friendslist, LiveArea chat feed, news on the game, store (DLC), Live party and etc. But I don't see no option for music or web browsing while a game is in suspend mode.

onQ123

gofreak said:
Nice find. The other presentation it links to is also interesting.

http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/develop2011/BuildingCommunitywithPlayStationNetwork.pdf

Has a slide that describes the OS, and the flow between different sections.

w4k1I.png

Close-ups of the sections:

Gwerg.png

gEevZ.png

Svr8C.png

1KyoO.png

Clearly these specific pics are mocks, but I didn't know about the 'index' part, and it's maybe encouraging (again) about being able to flick pretty easily between gameplay and other things on the system - if the vision here materialises.

so this stuff hasn't been posted? I just so happen to find it last night when I was searching to see if there was any info on how much of the vram was going to be used for buffer , guess I should have made a new thread

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
KAL2006 said:
The image with LittleBigPlanet stuff is the in game XMB I think. The LiveArea, it seems you can suspend a game and check the LiveArea where you can check trophies, message, leaderboards, friendslist, LiveArea chat feed, news on the game, store (DLC), Live party and etc. But I don't see no option for music or web browsing while a game is in suspend mode.

Well, it looks to me that when you're in that bit, you can flick left or right.

The video posted earlier seemed to show a game (F1) in a suspended state with a few different other apps open, and they were flicking through them (party, video, settings). Maybe you can access some apps with a game suspended and not others, but I'd certainly expect a certain amount of multitasking even if not an arbitrary level of it. I mean 3DS 'even' lets you suspend out into a set of 4 apps. I think its' just a question of how free you are to open apps in that state.

(Also worth noting here that the doc mentions that the near API lets a game launch the near app - so that's probably another app you can have open while a game's suspended)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Now that we've seen more of the OS, and discovered that the bubbles' interface only makes a small portion of the presentation, I'm starting to warm up to the UI.

KAL2006

Banned
gofreak said:
Well, it looks to me that when you're in that bit, you can flick left or right.

The video posted earlier seemed to show a game (F1) in a suspended state with a few different other apps open, and they were flicking through them (party, video, settings). Maybe you can access some apps with a game suspended and not others, but I'd certainly expect a certain amount of multitasking even if not an arbitrary level of it. I mean 3DS 'even' lets you suspend out into a set of 4 apps. I think its' just a question of how free you are to open apps in that state.

(Also worth noting here that the doc mentions that the near API lets a game launch the near app - so that's probably another app you can have open while a game's suspended)
Forgot about that leaked video of the os in that video it seems you get full acces to the os while a game is suspended hopefully you can open other apps like web browser and musoc player while a game is suspended

jiggle

i think the UI info/pics + feature list (like Tag and screen cap) should its own discussion thread
kinda hard to keep track of all the features buried in something (mostly) unrelated like this

surely the limited bubble mode will make a lot of ppl happy

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I think T@G is a downloadable application/game, but I agree that everything we know so far, from info, that footage gofreak posted yesterday, to these slides would make for an interesting, all-encompassing Vita OS thread.

gofreak said:
I think the Live Mode and Index Mode would be collectively analagous to a in-game XMB.

Would guess that Index Mode is a quick way to view the apps you have open currently, but dunno. Like an expanded version of the bar at the top of the screen that appears to show icons for open apps. Or maybe it's a 'most used' list of apps. I wouldn't take the apps shown there (including games) as gospel wrt the kind of apps you could have open all at once - these are just mocks.
Notice how we're supposedly able to switch between Index mode, Live mode, and Game mode by simply "tapping" the PS button, so it seems like the Index mode is the most general/outer layer. Live mode is where the chunk of the OS is, and that's where we get to flick left and right between the suspended apps. As for games, if I remember yesterday's video correctly, the guys asked Sony's rep how to go back to the game when he caught them snooping around. I think they said something along the lines of "holding the PS button for ten seconds? that's how I go back to the game, correct?"

Having to "Hold" the PS button sounds like way to suspend a game a la PSPGo, at least to me.

Somnid

Yeesh. I'm sure I'd get used to it but that interface is looking really busy. I really have no idea what's going on. Why are there two of them?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Gravijah said:
Haven't been this excited for a console since... the DS? Yep, probably the DS.

Fuck I'd go so far as to say the GBA for me. It's crazy how excited for this I am. All my PC gaming friend's in vent dubbed me a Vita whore last night. LOL

matmanx1

Jinfash said:
I think T@G is a downloadable application/game, but I agree that everything we know so far, from info, that footage gofreak posted yesterday, to these slides would make for an interesting, all-encompassing Vita OS thread.

Notice how we're supposedly able to switch between Index mode, Live mode, and Game mode by simply "tapping" the PS button, so it seems like the Index mode is the most general/outer layer. Live mode is where the chunk of the OS is, and that's where we get to flick left and right between the suspended apps. As for games, if I remember yesterday's video correctly, the guys asked Sony's rep to go back to the game when he caught them snooping around. I think they said something along the lines of "holding the PS button for ten seconds? that's how I go back to the game, correct?"

Having to "Hold" a button sounds like how suspend a game a la PSPGo, at least to me.

And here's the benefit to having that meaty CPU and generous (for a game system) amount of RAM. Suspend states and multi-tasking can only be done when you have the hardware horsepower to back it up. I just hope it's well optimized and programmed and runs smoothly and efficiently. If it works well then it could be the best game system OS yet.

KAL2006

Banned
I get it now, the diagram says it all
press PS button to go from index mode to Live mode
In Live mode you can flick through pages (left and right), which include the home page with all the icons, the music player and the game page (livearea), plus a couple of more pages, just look above at the top there are small icons (more pages include near, web browser and etc). To go to game mode you simply access it from the Livearea page in Live mode, or simply select the game in the home page in Live mode or press PS button (only if you have a suspended game, or else it would just go back to index mode).
Pressing, PS button in game mode, puts you back in Live mode in the LiveArea page, you can still acceess all the pages in Live Mode when a game is suspended.

deim0s

Ugly top bar on those screens. Why can't they emulate OSX's menu bar icons? Very small circle icons doesn't really help anyone IMO.

Mr_Brit

Banned
matmanx1 said:
And here's the benefit to having that meaty CPU and generous (for a game system) amount of RAM. Suspend states and multi-tasking can only be done when you have the hardware horsepower to back it up. I just hope it's well optimized and programmed and runs smoothly and efficiently. If it works well then it could be the best game system OS yet.
It looks really, really good. Surprisingly, Sony seem to have hit it out of the park with the Vita OS. Only a few niggles like a good browser and XBL style invites remain(although that PDF that was linked seemed to imply that they are in).

• Party Application
• A system application that allows for players to
manage, create and join a party, view friend’s parties
and communicate via text chat and/or voice chat

I am taking that to mean it is implemented on the OS level without developer implimentation... would that be correct?

Emitan

TheExecutive said:
I am taking that to mean it is implemented on the OS level without developer implimentation... would that be correct?
I'm assuming its the same as Xbox's party mode, so yes.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
TheExecutive said:
Yeah, it was revealed a month ago that Party is a native, system wide app that should work in every game unless a developer chooses to opt-out/disable it.

Edit:Beaton

KAL2006

Banned
I want 100% remote play. It would be great if I can play Battlefield 3 multiplayer while lying down in my bed. The only buttons it is missing are R3/L3 and R2/L2. But those can be emulated by the front touchscreen and the back touch. Lag shouldn't be a problem as the PS3 would only be a few metres away from me.

IonicSnake said:
Looks more like it says God of War III to me.

Icon says it's GOW2.

But it's just a placeholder, lets not look too deep into this :D

TheExecutive said:
It also looks like a GPS chip will be in each of the models. I know some had questions about that...

Really? Does it say that in the PDF? And does that mean coordinate-based stuff like T@G would work for the Wifi model as well?

Jinfash said:
Yeah, it was revealed a month ago that Party is a native, system wide app that should work in every game unless a developer chooses to opt-out/disable it.

Edit:Beaton
ahh thanks. I am catching up apparently.

Emitan

Gravijah said:
Haven't been this excited for a console since... the DS? Yep, probably the DS.
Same for me. I was excited for the 3DS due to blind fanboyism and expectations from the DS. The DS is the last system to come out that deserves massive levels of hype.

Emitan

Gravijah said:
NEED KNOW BOUT GPS CHIP RIGHT NOW!!!!

that would be the only reason i would ever buy the 3G model.
I have the perfect marketing slogan: "With a front facing camera and GPS in every unit, Vita knows what you look like and where you live!"

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
My only concern about this handheld in technical sense right now is that in trying to reach close to PS3 level of visuals, devs will make games in sub-native res and with compromised framerates. I know they'll think they can get away with sub-native res on a screen with pixel density that high, and will likely be right, but I hope it doesn't happen.

I worry because SSD Delta seems to be the only 60FPS visually impressive game on the machine. Of all the others visually impressive games, LBP and Wipeout are the ones that have really stable 30FPS, others are still a bit over the place with that. I've heard even Escape Plan has framerate problems and runs at less than 30FPS most of the time.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Lord Error said:
My only concern about this handheld in technical sense right now is that in trying to reach close to PS3 level of visuals, devs will make games in sub-native res and with compromised framerates. I know they'll think they can get away with sub-native res on a screen with pixel density that high, and will likely be right, but I hope it doesn't happen.

I worry because SSD Delta seems to be the only 60FPS visually impressive game on the machine. Of all the others visually impressive games, LBP and Wipeout are the ones that have really stable 30FPS, others are sill a bit over the place with that.
Nah, no game will ever be sub native res.

KAL2006

Banned
TheExecutive said:
I read this in the presentation:

I guess I am probably reading it wrong or something

yep you read it wrong, it means GPS for 3G/WiFi model
and no GPS for WiFI only model

Gravijah

TheExecutive said:
I read this in the presentation:

I guess I am probably reading it wrong or something

Aw, yeah for some reason they refer to the 3G model as the 3G/WiFi model. It can be confusing.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Lord Error said:
My only growing concern regarding the Vita is that instead of getting lots of console ports, it'll start getting a constant stream of smartphone ports, thanks to ARM and PowerVR. We're seeing it already, a lot of the announced third party games so far have been iOS ports.

I've heard even Escape Plan has framerate problems and runs at less than 30FPS most of the time.
Where did you read that?

I wouldn't worry about frames too much, at least not this early. The only game that everyone expected to be 60fps but didn't make it is Wipeout.

(Another 60fps game you overlooked was SFxT, just like every other fighter)

KAL2006

Banned
This cought my eye on the PDF file

Making PlayStation Network
development easier
• PlayStation Network wrapper library
• Provides a simple interface to the PlayStation Network
libraries
• Part of the PS Vita SDK
• Coming to PS3 soon
• Quicker development of online gaming
features

Coming soon to PS3?

where iss Jeff Rigby :)

Emitan

Lord Error said:

I worry because SSD Delta seems to be the only 60FPS visually impressive game on the machine. Of all the others visually impressive games, LBP and Wipeout are the ones that have really stable 30FPS, others are still a bit over the place with that. I've heard even Escape Plan has framerate problems and runs at less than 30FPS most of the time.
Sub native Res on a portable would be pretty terrible. I doubt anyone would do that.

KAL2006

Banned
Jinfash said:
My only growing concern regarding the Vita is that instead of getting lots of console ports, it'll start getting a constant stream of smartphone ports, thanks to the ARM CPU and PowerVR GPU. We're seeing it already, a lot of the announced third party games so far has been iOS ports.

As long as these games are for PSN or PS Suite and not packaged as retail games, I am fine with it. Hell it would be nice to play some of the cool smartphone games with traditional controls.

Top Bottom