• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter |OT| of Knock Knock, it's Tier 1

Remmy2112

Well I got a code from a friend and I'm digging the multiplayer so far. Still need to unlock more classes to get a better range of options. The screen for customizing guns seems interesting though it appears that there isn't any statistical difference within the same category, so if there's two or three options in the mid-range gun barrel group the differences are just cosmetic. There are actual statistical variations between mid range and close range, though.

Edit: No need anymore.

Spazo

Well I got a code from a friend and I'm digging the multiplayer so far. Still need to unlock more classes to get a better range of options. The screen for customizing guns seems interesting though it appears that there isn't any statistical difference within the same category, so if there's two or three options in the mid-range gun barrel group the differences are just cosmetic. There are actual statistical variations between mid range and close range, though.

I am still looking for a second BF3 premium code to get a good friend in this game, if anyone has a spare. I can even trade Civilization 5 on steam if someone wants. Got it with XCOM but everyone I know who is interested in that type of game already has it. Though finding someone who's interested in both shooters and turn-based strategy games is probably difficult. :(

I sent you a pm

Dawg

The only reason campaigns exist in these shooters in the first place is as a marketing tool. Multiplayer doesn't look so good in trailers.

I actually enjoy the SP of COD every single year. Sure, some of them aren't as good, but I always end up with an enjoyable rollercoaster ride. It's not that serious and I like that.

SkylineRKR

I actually enjoy the SP of COD every single year. Sure, some of them aren't as good, but I always end up with an enjoyable rollercoaster ride. It's not that serious and I like that.

Yeah well they usually entertain me for a night of 2, 3 and them I'm done with it. It holds no replay value for me nor do I think its worth anything close to full buck. So I agree with the guy saying its a marketing tool. An online only game for the console still seems to be a hard sell. I think that the much hyped Fault Line trailers from BF3 contributed to its success, the franchise finally had a so called 'focused' single player with epic moments to show off to the mass market.

Victrix

*beard*
I went back and forth on this game, but ultimately decided to pick it up for $15 after trade ins.

After I bought it, I discovered that it has an online pass.

Fucking lol EA. You really think MoH has enough clout to get unconvinced buyers and CoD players to rent it, gamefly it, redbox it, and then pay for an online pass?

Anyway. The strengths of the Fireteam system were enough to intrigue me, and the footage I saw of the other modes online looked pretty good, soooo, installing. I'll post when the stream is live here shortly (twitch.tv/evilgamer)

i played the multiplayer for a few hours... a few complaints

Maps

- you spawn out of the maps, you fall under the maps
- are way too tight
- hard to find a position to snipe

Buddy system

- nobody replenishes ammo or health
- when they spawn, your character gets pushed out of the way.. it gets annoying when your at a window and you have your sights on a person but they happen to spawn and you miss the kill, that also goes for the entrances and exits of buildings

i spent $30.00 thanks to the BF3 discount, it's not worth full price.. if they do release DLC im going to hold off

antitrop

Reviews make me sad :(

I worked my ass off to get this one out the door.
:(

Don't read my posts... or my tag, then.
The game is just no fun to play, despite your hard work.

Spec Ops should be the model for modern military shooters, not Call of Duty. The game was flawed from the premise. Do we really need 3 games that are nearly indistinguishable from Call of Duty (including CoD itself), vying for game space? I mean they're pretty much all exactly the same game with a different UI. Seriously. And none of them are very good.

Military shooters should be exciting, not boring. I don't know how explosions can be boring, but Medal of Honor pulls it off flawlessly. Flawless boredom. The storyline is embarrassing, although no worse or better than any CoD after 4 or BF3.

Im digging the multiplayer so far. Its alright if most comments are negative, that just means the people who like it are playing the game.

antitrop

Im digging the multiplayer so far. Its alright if most comments are negative, that just means the people who like it are playing the game.
On that point, I don't think there have been many complaints in general about the multiplayer, minor problems here and there, but the vast majority of criticism (levied by myself, I'm aware) has been about the single player.

The storyline is embarrassing, although no worse or better than any CoD after 4 or BF3.
The storyline (and campaign in general) is miles better than any current gen CoD.*

Games/movies/television shows about ST6/Delta are a dime a dozen, but ones made by people who actually understand the units and who they are happen to be extraordinarily rare. Maybe the market for people who care about such things just isn't big enough, but there are people out here who get what DC was going for and appreciate it.

*I should add 'thus far' as I haven't yet finished the campaign, but I'm really digging it.

LEGGZZZZ

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully your next project works out better.
Here's a interesting quote:

Such hurdles aren't unusual for a shooter at launch, of course, but even if another patch could level Warfighter's playing field, it would still only be a passable and temporary alternative to the genre leaders rather than a replacement. This is a genre where exceptional levels of polish are required just to keep pace, and any new entry must not only meet high expectations, but attempt to exceed them. Warfighter borrows ideas from COD and Battlefield and offers a few of its own, but it falls far short of the standards set elsewhere. This is a field where "pretty good" is no longer good enough.

I think that sums up what you need to be successful now in this genre.

DTKT

Let me pay 25-30$ for just the MP and I'm all good. 60$ is just too much.

Anyone has a BF3 premium code. ;)

On that point, I don't think there have been many complaints in general about the multiplayer, minor problems here and there, but the vast majority of criticism (levied by myself, I'm aware) has been about the single player.

Honestly, single player doesn't mean much to me in shooters. I always viewed single player as a "warm up" or something to do when you can't play online(if it had fun co op like halo, it would be different). I would rather shoot real opponents than computer controlled ones who have scripted actions.

:(

Don't read my posts... or my tag, then.
The game is just no fun to play, despite your hard work.

Spec Ops should be the model for modern military shooters, not Call of Duty. The game was flawed from the premise. Do we really need 3 games that are nearly indistinguishable from Call of Duty (including CoD itself), vying for game space? I mean they're pretty much all exactly the same game with a different UI. Seriously. And none of them are very good.

Military shooters should be exciting, not boring. I don't know how explosions can be boring, but Medal of Honor pulls it off flawlessly. Flawless boredom. The storyline is embarrassing, although no worse or better than any CoD after 4 or BF3.

Spec Ops is good because of it's story, it's gameplay mechanics are very boring and should not be close to what modern shooters should go for. This game is fun to play in MP, just not BF3 level. The story is a bit of a disappointment compared to the first game which I thought had the best military shooter SP this gen short of CoD4. Also, BF3 gunplay and general MP is very different from CoD. You claimed to be a fan of shooters but think BF3 is exactly like CoD?

[/QUOTE]

I don't know why you gave a generalized statement then that the game is not fun to play whatsoever (excuse my lack of hyperbole) and the best received part of it is not mentioned

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

Hey, I haven't played it yet, but what changes do you feel you made to MoH2 vs. MoH1 and why did you do it?

p.s. spec ops is a boring game with bad mechanics

Raptomex

I may get this when it lowers in price, idk. I stopped buying all of these "modern warfare" titles after the last MoH mainly due to the extreme focus on multiplayer. I'm more of a single player guy. I actually miss the WW2 games. Allied Assault and Frontline still kick ass.

... even if another patch could level Warfighter's playing field, it would still only be a passable and temporary alternative to the genre leaders rather than a replacement.

So ... if you make a military FPS game, it must REPLACE the genre leaders, or is a failure.

The reviews for this game are the joke here.

antitrop

Hey, I haven't played it yet, but what changes do you feel you made to MoH2 vs. MoH1 and why did you do it?

p.s. spec ops is a boring game with bad mechanics
It's more polished and playable than Medal of Honor: Warfighter, that's for sure. I'm not one to sing the praises of Spec Ops from a gameplay perspective, because my love for that game stems from the compelling narrative and interesting characters. The gameplay served as a serviceable vehicle to deliver that narrative.

Spec Ops also requires Easy difficulty for the best experience. I was frustrated and not enjoying the game on Normal, until I realized I have to switch it down to have fun.

Yeah I got it yesterday as soon as I heard. Love that game.

Man I still have fond memories of those early WW2 shooters (MOH, RTCW). Then the industry ran the whole WW2 FPS thing into the ground. Seems like they're repeating it now with the modern day setting.

Dawg

Spoiler alert, but still...

There is also a mission halfway through the campaign of this game where you and your squad have set up on the bow of a ship to take aim at a gang of Somalian pirates who have taken an American captain hostage.

After a minute of dialogue, one of your squadmates launches a flare. One of the pirates pops up out of cover, marked in red, and you shoot him. There is no way to fail this- if you shoot at the other pirate, you kill the marked pirate. If you shoot at the front of their boat, you kill the marked pirate. If you shoot at the sky above them, you kill the marked pirate.

After you kill him, a cutscene occurs before going to the next mission.

This is an entire mission.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZsbMjymOAs

Raptomex

Man I still have fond memories of those early WW2 shooters (MOH, RTCW). Then the industry ran the whole WW2 FPS thing into the ground. Seems like they're repeating it now with the modern day setting.
MoH, MoH Underground, MoHAA, Frontline, CoD, CoD: UO, CoD 2, RTCW are all great WW2 shooters. My favorites. MoH and Underground are a little dated now but I played the shit out of Underground when I first got it. I was a kid and it was one of the first FPS games I ever owned. CoD 3, MoH Airborne, Vanguard, European Assault, Pacific Assault, and Rising Sun are okay at best. Never could get into World at War, I beat it and that was it. But the late 90s and early 2000s really had some excellent WW2 games. Then there's the Brothers in Arms series which I still need to check out.

The driving sequences are the only interesting part of this game. With some less-obvious scripting I'd LOVE to see a game based around Hollywood-style car chases in that sort of style.

Also good lord, the CG in the cutscenes is bad.

Cheska

Is Medal of Honor 2010 worth playing for the single player?

Yes, absolutely. It really gave you a sense of brotherhood and the variety in missions was nice too.

The driving sequences are the only interesting part of this game. With some less-obvious scripting I'd LOVE to see a game based around Hollywood-style car chases in that sort of style.

Man, those sections are what killed it for me. Well, that along with some frustrating bugs I ran into :(

Man, those sections are what killed it for me. Well, that along with some frustrating bugs I ran into :(

Oh, I don't mean that they're particularly good or anything. They're just refreshing, and I could see something like them being really fun in a different game. A Bullit-style game with first-person car chases through narrow streets would be awesome. They're a nice break, even if they are just as scripted.

Some of it looks really good and some of it looks laughably bad. Really weird mixed bag with the CG.

There's some nice lighting but the character models just feel... off. And the environments look weirdly sterile.

Furio53

I know some of the guys on the team, and I feel bad for them. I know they worked their asses off, and reviews seem to be shitting on them pretty hardcore.
Some of the discussions and reviews I've seen are pretty ridiculous too. No one goes into a project half-assed and not wanting to make the best game ever. It's unfortunate. I know how it goes. You crunch, you pour your heart and soul into a project, only to have someone pick it up and be like meh. It's gut wrenching.

I know some of the guys on the team, and I feel bad for them. I know they worked their asses off, and reviews seem to be shitting on them pretty hardcore.
Some of the discussions and reviews I've seen are pretty ridiculous too. No one goes into a project half-assed and not wanting to make the best game ever. It's unfortunate. I know how it goes. You crunch, you pour your heart and soul into a project, only to have someone pick it up and be like meh. It's gut wrenching.

are you talking about the discussion in this thread? we pointed out things that are wrong with it... what don't you agree with?

Top Bottom