• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us' autosave has a glitch. Read if you're playing. [Apparently fixed]

Just to reiterate what I said earlier in the thread - I have played for 10 hours split over yesterday and today. All play sessions have been offline and I have not installed the patch.

No issues at all.
I've done the same, but my PS3 still has an active internet connection - I've just never signed in.

theytookourjobz

Just to be clear before I buy this, the auto save is not working correctly? But manual save is working fine?

And that is... Gamebreaking to people? Having to manually save?

Please tell me I'm missing something here.

Listen people... The game, for a lot of people, is constantly stuck in a "auto saving" state that disables manual saving and auto saving. It literally greys out the option to save and even quit the game. So anything you do past the FIRST time the game auto saves, is lost. Meaning that if, like me, you played 3 or 4 hours on your first time starting the game, you come back to a save 10 minutes into the game.

Ovid

Just to be clear before I buy this, the auto save is not working correctly? But manual save is working fine?

And that is... Gamebreaking to people? Having to manually save?

Please tell me I'm missing something here.

No, it's the fact that gamers weren't informed about the issue prior to logging 2+ hours of game time.

This sounds like a server problem then. They obviously did something last night/this morning which has messed up the savings.
Now the question is, what the fuck is the game doing connection-wise that prevents the game from saving? That should NOT happen, ever. o_O

Zemm

Maybe a mod should update the title with big caps "play offline"? Same with the official thread.

SO essentially, just rag the ethernet out of the back of the console while playing?

I just went to "Internet settings" and disabled connection, even easier.

Valtýr

Now the question is, what the fuck is the game doing connection-wise that prevents the game from saving? That should NOT happen, ever. o_O

Possible it's sending save data back to the server at the same time. Possible this is a volume issue and the servers cannot cope?

deafsox987

Neo Member
Good thing I know about this, just minutes before I actually start playing the game. Never crazy about autosaves so I am glad that there is an option for saving manually.

Slair

Valtýr;63586786 said:
So based on what people have said:

-The patch is irrelevant
-The issue started happening at launch
-Only happening when connected to PSN

Therefore, the issue must be caused by some server side process related to saving that was turned on for launch.

I played for 4+ hours yesterday pre-patch online, was fine.

Valtýr;63587451 said:
Possible it's sending save data back to the server at the same time. Possible this is a volume issue and the servers cannot cope?
Yeah, but what's the point? This game is not using any cloud saving, like some cross-play titles do.

hwy_61

Banned
So...basically if I Skyrim it(create a gazillion save files), then I'm ok? If I play online and manually save regularly, I should be fine? Or go offline altogether?

Valtýr

I played for 4+ hours yesterday pre-patch online, was fine.

Well yesterday was pre-launch. It's possible whatever is causing this was flipped on today.

Or, if it is an issue with the server side process not being able to cope it's because there's a lot more people playing today than yesterday.

Carl

Hey Carl!

Just to recap, you didnt disconnect from the internet just from PSN, and you didnt disable autosave, right?

Correct. Just signed out of PSN. That's all i did.

Christophe told me to try online again and see if i hit the bug. Definitely seems like connection to PSN is the cause.

BibiMaghoo

Ok, so it actually breaks manual saving once the glitch has occurred, if that is the case then yes, that is pretty shitty.

I thought people were making a fuss even when they could save manually, which while annoying, is far from game breaking.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Ah fuck, continuing the game from my last save point, and now I'm seeing the greyed out saving glitch in the menu.

So what can I do if I notice it during the game? How much progress would I lose if I were to quit right now?

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Crap, now my autosaving is hanging. For F*** sake Naughty Dog, how the Jesus tap dancing Christ does this happen, even after it was delayed for polish.

So ridiculous.

Naughty Dog must have known about this issue prior to release. Back in my game tester days this would've been classified as a major bug.

Not necessarily. Could easily be an issue with load in their servers or something that's clogging it all up. It shouldn't have happened, but it's one of those things they couldn't have predicted.

Hung_real

So...basically if I Skyrim it(create a gazillion save files), then I'm ok? If I play online and manually save regularly, I should be fine? Or go offline altogether?

Don't go online at this point

Stick to offline and do manual save every now and then.

I'm about 1h30 in - have tried to quit and reload the game a few times, the auto save have not acting up yet .

Top Bottom