• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

Speaking of Sailor Moon, I need to watch the original series at some point, but it's so long and I'm already watching precure.

Tiger Mask W 31

kFGLEr4.png

Taruranto

Otome of Bahamut #6

Oh come on. No matter how hawt these guys may be, are you telling me she's not angry enough to ignore it and kick their butts? The whole thing felt like a poorly thought setup for the tepid romance.

Jarmel

Banned
Otome of Bahamut #6[/B
Oh come on. No matter how hawt these guys may be, are you telling me she's not angry enough to ignore it and kick their butts? The whole thing felt like a poorly thought setup for the tepid romance.

Yea the horny gimmick is getting really old.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL Season 1 Episode 43 – The Dragon Awakens
C_vtyt7W0AAWLPR.jpg:small

Wow Kaito finally working together with Yuuma led to one of the best dragons ever, Neo Galaxy Eyes Photon Dragon was epic. I hope for more team dueling like this.

Future Card Buddyfight Batzz Episode 5 engdub
C_v952rXYAE3x-Y.jpg:small
C_v-Z1hXoAECTHY.jpg:small

The outcome of the match was ruined by the episode title but also by the nature of all the previous Kitten Shirt matches...someday Noboru will get what he deserves and become a winner, its not fair. Oh well, this was kind of a dream match of character designs, the character designer knows what I love in character designs and of the best character designs in buddyfight, so like Davide, we get a Sakate who is similar to him, love Sakate immensely. Hopefully he goes far.

This is why I laughed at the ending. It felt more like confirming a ship for Tumblr rather than actually making a meaningful relationship. Especially given the scene between Korra and Mako right before the last scene.

My thing is I give the writers leeway there since they still had to write around American Broadcast Standards when it came to how they could portray Korra and Asami's relationship. Like the relationship was definitely lacking, but there was an outside reason for that.

Kabuki Club Episode 5
C_wQQhHXgAE4mvg.jpg:small

Medicine peddler from kabuki club was so good and I loved Akutsu in that role, I wonder if Kuro will ever perform or will he just practice and direct? I hope he can do more.

Debate scene wasnt bad either.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I need to get my brain processed by Kado so I can make Wam and poopsock indefinitely.

Re:Creators Episode 5

Probably my favorite of the talking episodes, the overview of the events, Meteora's apologizing, Kikuchihara seemingly starting to bond with Selicia and Metoera, and then the random girls night.guys night scene was enjoyable. I do want to know what will happen with the destroyed house.

If military uniform princess is souta's creation, then nice.

So couple of more episodes into the season. What's everyone watching from it?

Attack on Titan
Natsume
Recreators
Dragon ball super
Bastard magic teacher (can't remember the exact name)

Anything else I should be watching?

Alice to Zouroku, Attack on Titan, Bastard Teacher, Dragon Ball Super, Re:Creators, Sakura Quest, Tsuki ga Kirei, WorldEnd.

I'm probably going to drop Super after the World Survival Arc because the series just hasn't been doing it for me.

KraytarJ

Virgin Soul 6
I honestly can't think of a worse MC transition than Favaro to Nina. I don't even love Favaro that much, it's just Nina is a single gag played over and over which is more than a little problematic for a character that gets as much screen time as she does. At this point I'm not sure I have it in me for another round.

Virgin Soul is a strange show. It's like the creative behind it got bored with the premise they initially wrote and tried to stealthily change it into a love comedy and pulled it off poorly.

Super lovers s2 1-4

Been really enjoying this so far. Really liking the switch of perspective. While season 1 focus on Haru's PoV, season 2 has been all about Ren's side. Seeing him grow as a character has been really great. And since Ren is best, 10/10. Aki and Shima are so funny too.

Chindogg

My thing is I give the writers leeway there since they still had to write around American Broadcast Standards when it came to how they could portray Korra and Asami's relationship. Like the relationship was definitely lacking, but there was an outside reason for that.

There really wasn't. Dharma and Greg did it on prime time, AKA family time. Sesame Street had gay relationships around that time. The last season wasn't even on TV. It was online only.

That's a bullshit cop out.

Virgin Soul is a strange show. It's like the creative behind it got bored with the premise they initially wrote and tried to stealthily change it into a love comedy and pulled it off poorly.
I'd like to say it's my disappointment of 2017 Anime, but I had to be honest with myself that it's not like I loved the direction of the first seasons plot even if the leads made if bearable. Seems like a Bioware style approach of 'let's improve on one department we lacked but fuck up other areas we did fine in before'

There really wasn't. Dharma and Greg did it on prime time,

Bruh, that's a TV show aimed at adults. Completely different standards.

AKA family time. Sesame Street had gay relationships around that time. The last season wasn't even on TV. It was online only.

That's a bullshit cop out.

And there's a difference between getting permission to write a side character as LGBT and making the actual lead of your show. It's only recently that these children networks have started allowing LGBT characters in shows to actually be acknowledge, and even then they are almost always relegated to one-off side characters. Even with the show getting booted to their website, the staff still had to work around the guild-lines Nick set for them.

Hamst3r

I think they should make more Dragon Half, Blazing Transfer Student, and Elf Princess Rane. Make them into 13+ episode TV series.

That is all.

KraytarJ

Eccentric Family 10-13
I can't say I expected an ending with multiple daring escapes, millions in property damage, and saviour after saviour but it was great nonetheless. Big draws were frog bro coming in clutch and avoiding the unimaginably bad scenario of mama tanuki being stewed. There were some moral quandaries here and there but I'd say I really enjoyed the first season of this (in retrospect 2013 was quite the year for anime) and I'm excited to add S2 for this season.

blurr

Sakura Quest 06

Lots of obvious problems are surfacing which unfortunately have no resolution until the next episode.

At least, we know what's wrong with Maki.

Kado: The Right Answer 06

I thought Wam was scary enough, Kado looks beyond that.

Meesh

Is anyone here bothered even a little with Boruto? It's not feeling like it'll ever have all the drama or action of Naruto. Kind of a bummer.
So Attack on Titan season two, just started watching now :)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
How is there no 999-ish escape random rooms anime yet.

petran79

Banned
I remember catching some episodes of Oban Star Racers back when it was aired. Probably one of the last good TV series aimed at kids before the whole CGI takeover.

First episode was very well paced and directed. It combines the best elements of French and Japanese animation. Eva's father is even worse than Shinji's from Evangelion, leaving her unprotected during the alien attack.

Aki-at

Attack on Titan S1 - 2

Thought I'd start up this series with all the hype that's running on it now. It's an alright opening but nothing really gripped me yet. Was hoping to see more out of the city destruction but I can't expect it to go all Godzilla on me.

phaze

Virgin Soul 06

I haven't spotted a wall of Nina faces from this ep in the thread, shame on you all.

Someone needs to tell Mappa they're not allowed to have an ep looking this good in the middle of the run and spend on relatively trite things.

Gran Blue 07

zzzzzzzzzzzzz They didn't even manage to invent a decent excuse for Io to join them on the trip. At least the fighting and effects animation was again on point.

Srs when does the mystery witch joins them/ gets some screen time ? Next arc or bust.

Clov

It's five different shows, you don't have to watch all 200 at once.
(Not to say you couldn't.)

That's how I handled it for the most part. I took a long break between season 1, 2, and then I watched 3-5 pretty close together.

They're a lot of fun though, with seasons 3 and 4 being my absolute favorites. Season 5 was pretty interesting too, I loved the Sailor Starlights!

pbayne

Sailor Moon S1 End

Thoroughly excellent. So effortlessly entertaining and visually very nice too.
All the filler was class, laughed so hard at times, like the tuxedo cat episode. Its been a while since i read the manga and i can only really remember it in broad strokes but probably the biggest improvement over the manga was giving the other girls some stuff to do besides prop up Usagi.

Magic Knight Rayearth S1 End

I was actually slightly disappointed by this. Like i kept waiting for the show to reveal some hidden depths or a twist that would change things that never came. It was just so straightforward, almost to a fault.

-Boring ass world. Like it's fantasy tropes essentially but fuck they spend 80% of their time in either a forest or a small village. The rest is mostly equally generic mountains or lakes. Just very little imagination.
-The plot is like watching an rpg play out, which the characters themselves point out at one stage. Go here, beat the enemy, get the power-up, rinse and repeat. It gets stale very quickly. There are some moments of character development sprinkled throughout which are nice but they beat that into the ground by often re-iterating the exact same points over and over.
-Visually the show is very good looking. Lol it is fun to guess at times how wildly will the character art bounce up and down between episodes but for the most part its great. And CLAMP character designs are mostly always ace.
-The only things i knew about the show going in is that it was a CLAMP show, i knew mokona from Tsubasa and it had mechs. But fuck i was kind of let down by the mechs. They just show up in the last 2 episodes and they fight exactly the same as the girls do without them.
-There were some plot points that went nowhere like Ferio (although i know there's a sequel so it probably gets picked up there). And the main villain, jesus you can spot the twist for his motivations a mile off and the rest of his henchmen are just kind of whatever.

Don''t want to bury the show too hard but i think watching it alongside sailor moon made me spot its flaws much more sharply.

JCG

Magic Knight Rayearth S1 End
And the main villain, jesus you can spot the twist for his motivations a mile off and the rest of his henchmen are just kind of whatever.
It is less impressive in this day and age, but for me the real twist isn't directly about the villain, Zagato, per se. That part's not too hard to figure out. Rather, it's
the fact there's no way to save the princess other than killing her. Which is quite depressing and ends the story on a more somber than victorious note.
Still not exactly a timeless revelation, but I would say that makes for a slightly more thematically complex story than, say, the likes of Record of Lodoss War. By the way, although I haven't seen the second season in ages, I remember the mecha were more prominent there.

Monster Strike S2 Episode 6
C_zYPsmVoAAU9fp.jpg:small

Ren letting his imagination alter his view of reality led to one of the funniest moments with him and Aoi. I wonder why they didnt invite Akira, hes a main team member.

Could have had more action...but the having ren and ryouma bond wasnt a bad trade off for it,

Labolas

Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul Episode 6

Not a bad episode but not anything to write home about either. Man, this is such a downgrade from Genesis in terms of characters and leads. Nina is just so an one note character, I'm wondering why they positioned her as the lead. She's not that interesting. I still hate Azazel. Another character that isn't interesting but he has the sympathetic character and it doesn't work. I think I laughed one time at Nina's antics which I haven't done since probably the first episode. I keep wondering when we'll get back to Favaro and have that old dynamic between him and Kaiser. Sadly, the only characters I enjoyed so far are Rita, Bacchus, and Hamsa. But dat animation though. Mappa did it again with another dance scene. Holy shit, man if there's one thing this show has in spades is the animation. So far I can't say this isn't a totally terrible show, just a decent one riddled with characterization problems.

Hellraider

Oh? Didn't know God Eater dude was behind it. Say what you want about the source material, but the team behind it managed to make a decently interesting show.

It's ridiculous how great the God Eater anime turned out compared to the source material. It's one of those adaptations that turned shit into gold. Can't say I'm surprised to find out he turned out to be behind the probably best episode of AoT so far.

I love this guy so fucking much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom