• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS) Official Thread

Wizpig said:
Too bad i'm stuck at that ****ing "Digital clock puzzle", the "three or more numbers in a row" one.

There aren't any tricks to it. Just....think. And remember, there are more possibilities when there are four digits in the time.

Wizpig

Junior Asparagus said:
There aren't any tricks to it. Just....think. And remember, there are more possibilities when there are four digits in the time.
Holy shit, you mean like in 11:11 you gotta take "1111", "111" and "111"?
My mind is blown!

explodet

Wizpig said:
Holy shit, you mean like in 11:11 you gotta take "1111", "111" and "111"?
My mind is blown!
That's incorrect: The puzzle states "3 or more", so 11:11 only counts as one.

This damn puzzle had me stuck for a while too. You'll get it eventually though.

ronito

I finished this great game 2 days ago. Fantastic stuff. The last 2 puzzles (princess in a box 1 and 7 squares) just kicked my butt though. My only complaints are that the pacing seems a little off. The beginning of the the game you get tons of puzzles at a every corner by the end it just seems to have run out. Also all of the mysteries got solved only in the last few hours of game play. I can't wait for #2 to come out.

JohnsonUT

john tv said:
How many puzzles are there in total? I've solved 59 of 59 so far, but they're starting to get difficult...

120 in the actual quest.

I finished this game over the weekend. I really like it. The only thing I could ask for is that many more of the puzzles should involve the actual characters and settings. I want less of a character moving out of the door way once you have solved their unrelated puzzle.

Apenheul

Apenheul said:
Ordered this game almost 3 weeks ago on play-asia, it still hasn't arrived. The wait is getting painful :/

Ok and 10 minutes later it dropped in my mailbox, including Panzer Tactics :D

Barrett2

Puzzle 67 (The Chocolate Code) is ridiculous. After getting the answer of Gamefaqs I was ready to throw the DS through the window.

Barrett2

McBacon said:
Every Puzzle has an Answer!

Unfortunately my brain was incapable of figuring out that answer!

I am finding it very interesting to see which puzzles I do well at and which puzzles I struggle on. For example, some 40 point puzzles I can get almost instantly, while others I stare at hopelessly.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Chocolate Code is the worst puzzle in the game, and is (not coincidentally) the only one I didn't solve without a FAQ.

There are numerous issues here:

1) The big problem with it is that all three hints tell you basically the same thing. NONE OF THE HINTS EVER MENTION THE BITES. Why couldn't a hint have been "hmm... why did your girlfriend bite into the chocolate like that?" ? That hint would move you down the right path, without giving you the answer. It's perfect. Instead, all three reinforce the "digital" aspect (which itself is made clear in the original wording).

2) It's very difficult to solve the puzzle without an external resource (a keyboard). I sit at a keyboard literally all day at work, but I can't visualize one in my head. As far as I can remember, this is literally the only puzzle in the game that (most likely) requires you to look away from the DS at something external to solve it.

3) One of the hints I feel like is actually more harmful than helpful, and is actually misleading - the one that mentions your girlfriend sends text-messages a lot. This got me thinking about a PHONE keypad, and how it has three letters per key. If they wanted you to be thinking about a normal keyboard, they should have said she IMs or emails a lot - not that she texts.

edit: added spoiler tags

Barrett2

Generally speaking, I often find the hints to be more frustrating than helpful. In too many puzzles the first one or two hints do little more than re-state what the question has already told you. It's as if you have to spend two or three coins in order to get a legitimate hint.

Overall, however, I am impressed that I have this much interest in a puzzle game at all.
Normally I hate brain teasers, but this game has me hooked. I am frankly surprised that I have only 'cheated' by going to FAQs for 4 of the 60 puzzles I have attempted!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
GDJustin, I suggest spoiler tagging parts of your post, some people haven't played that puzzle yet.

I vote for the Chocolate Code being the worst puzzle too. I couldn't for the love of God notice that
some pieces were randomly chipped
in the picture, and yeah, I also thought of a
cellphone

And it's the puzzle I thought to be the most disconnected from the game's setting... I know they aren't supposed to be related directly to the plot and all that, but I mean,
computer and keyboards
are not what I have in mind when playing a game with that atmosphere.

Wizpig

Please GAF, tell me i'm not the only one that didn't or still doesn't understand the
"Dog after a Car Accident" puzzle.
The one with the sticks.
It's like "What the heck am i supposed to do?".

On another note the one with the 3 wolves and 3 ducks [or whatever they were] was awesome and not hard :D

izakq

Wizpig said:
Please GAF, tell me i'm not the only one that didn't or still doesn't understand the
The one with the sticks.

Move the stick that makes the picture look like the dog was ran over by a car. The thing is that it'll be viewed from a different perspective, i.e. looking at it from a top-down view instead of from the side.

Wizpig said:
The one with the sticks.

Yeah, I thought that too. It's like it doesn't really give you enough info. I made something that looked like a splatted dog, but it was wrong. I solved it after one of the hints told me which matches to move.

Also, the chocolate one....I actually solved that one pretty quickly. I dunno, I guess it just clicked for me.

Wizpig

I'm
chasing that damn cat
! :lol
I'm playing this VERY slowly so it will last a lot of weeks, hopefully :)

Just let me go trough this one more time, the series STARTS with this videogame, right? Not with, dunno, a book or something?
I'm asking this out of curiosity because, you know, the characters don't have a lot of background [not that they need it!] and usually in the "first game" they put some base for the characters development.

Oh, and i'm in love with Layton's voice :lol

GDJustin said:
Chocolate Code is the worst puzzle in the game, and is (not coincidentally) the only one I didn't solve without a FAQ.

Oh man, those hints are great. That puzzle was garbage.
I assumed, based on the puzzle, that it had something to do with a cell phone keyboard and that the bites were taken by the guy who got the chocolate. I ignored them completely. Because of your hints I finally got this puzzle. I've been stuck on it for weeks!
Three puzzles to go.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
rayc7m.jpg

Heh,
the bites are actually very visible in the Japanese version and it instantly looks like they have relevance to the solution.
I wish the drawing in the English version was like that.

Wizpig said:
I'm
chasing that damn cat
! :lol
I'm playing this VERY slowly so it will last a lot of weeks, hopefully :)

Just let me go trough this one more time, the series STARTS with this videogame, right? Not with, dunno, a book or something?
I'm asking this out of curiosity because, you know, the characters don't have a lot of background [not that they need it!] and usually in the "first game" they put some base for the characters development.

Oh, and i'm in love with Layton's voice :lol
I also played it very slowly. I think it's the way to go really, the puzzles are perfect for pick up and play instead of going through many of them at one go.

As far as I know, it starts with this game. Maybe they'll get more development in the sequels since it's a trilogy. :)

apujanata

GDJustin said:

1) The big problem with it is that all three hints tell you basically the same thing. NONE OF THE HINTS EVER MENTION THE BITES. Why couldn't a hint have been "hmm... why did your girlfriend bite into the chocolate like that?" ? That hint would move you down the right path, without giving you the answer. It's perfect. Instead, all three reinforce the "digital" aspect (which itself is made clear in the original wording).

2) It's very difficult to solve the puzzle without an external resource (a keyboard). I sit at a keyboard literally all day at work, but I can't visualize one in my head. As far as I can remember, this is literally the only puzzle in the game that (most likely) requires you to look away from the DS at something external to solve it.

3) One of the hints I feel like is actually more harmful than helpful, and is actually misleading - the one that mentions your girlfriend sends text-messages a lot. This got me thinking about a PHONE keypad, and how it has three letters per key. If they wanted you to be thinking about a normal keyboard, they should have said she IMs or emails a lot - not that she texts.

I was also misled by the hint "text messages", since I started to look for my cellphone. After that failed, I tried the second logical conclusion, keyboard, and got it within 5 minutes of staring at the keyboard. I agree that this is the most puzzling puzzle in this one (other than those last 15 you got from Layton's challenge)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wizpig said:
The one with the sticks.

On another note the one with the 3 wolves and 3 ducks [or whatever they were] was awesome and not hard :D

I think thats my favourite puzzle. I got it very quickly too :)

Teasel

i thought the chocolate one was pretty cool
after the 3rd hint tell you to look at a nearby keyboard it's pretty easy to think to look at the keys near the one with the letters then you notice the bites and you solve it

nny

Wizpig said:
Too bad i'm stuck at that ****ing "Digital clock puzzle", the "three or more numbers in a row" one.

Ah, I just solved this one yesterday, skipped over the "in a row" part and was having problems. Really great game, and very dangerous, has a tendency to make me go "just one more puzzle" over and over again, instead of doing stuff I should be doing.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Okay I finished this game tonight and I loved it. Can't wait for the sequel.

Teasel

ok it seems that downloadable puzzle aren't actualy really downloable puzzle... the puzzle are already in the cart,all you are downloading is the key that makes them playable... someone hacked the game and took a pic of every puzzle including the downlable one (for the curious there are
puzzle)
http://deufeufeu.free.fr/layton/puzzles.html

Wizpig

Teasel said:
ok it seems that downloadable puzzle aren't actualy really downloable puzzle... the puzzle are already in the cart,all you are downloading is the key that makes them playable... someone hacked the game and took a pic of every puzzle including the downlable one (for the curious there are
puzzle)
http://deufeufeu.free.fr/layton/puzzles.html
Yeah that was quite obvious, you can't download so many NEW images [like the one with all the aliens] in such a small DS card.

Wizpig said:
Yeah that was quite obvious, you can't download so many NEW images [like the one with all the aliens] in such a small DS card.

If there all there why make us wait to connect to the internet to dl them weekly? Not that I'm arguing against you and the guy you're quoting but I don't see how any party benefits here.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Haha. Wow. It took me longer to "download" the new puzzle than it did to solve it.

Puzzle's up, btw.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I've accomplished I think 13 or 14 puzzles so far, and while I had initially set out to go for a perfect game, I'm starting to think now that it won't happen due to a few little issues. For instance, in the "My Beloved" puzzle, I had a setup that
I thought made the sillhouette look just like a woman, but it turned out to not be exactly correct.
Little differences in interpretation like that really annoy me, especially when I'm losing Picarats for it. I just restarted the DS after that; I'm fine with losing points for something I just screw up on, but I want those picarats back if I figured out the logic behind everything and there was simply a slight "problem" with how I was looking at it.

Great game so far, though. Currently on the pig sty puzzle.

Vard

I think I asked this earlier in the thread, but it was only after the first downloadable puzzle was released so nobody was sure of the answer. I still don't have the game, but when I get it can I download all the downloadable puzzles that have been released so far or only that week's new puzzle?

Teasel

Vard said:
I think I asked this earlier in the thread, but it was only after the first downloadable puzzle was released so nobody was sure of the answer. I still don't have the game, but when I get it can I download all the downloadable puzzles that have been released so far or only that week's new puzzle?
all the one that have been released so far

Penguin

I got the game because it looked cool. And the puzzle aspect intrigued me.

But holy cow does it look good for a handheld game. I love the style. So far I am loving the puzzles. Don't get why I'm chasing a cat however. I like the little animation before correct/incorrect. Always gets me so nervous.

Awesome game so far.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Vard said:

You're not really downloading anything. All of the weekly puzzles are already on the cart. All these "downloads" do is serve as time-release unlockings. But yes, were you to connect right now for the first time, you'd unlock today's puzzle, plus all of the previous ones.

scottnak

Oh man. That alien downloadable puzzle was awesome. After I solved it, definitely said "Oh wow. Great puzzle" out loud. Haha. How soon to the next oone. need moooooooore

Penguin

scottnak said:
Oh man. That alien downloadable puzzle was awesome. After I solved it, definitely said "Oh wow. Great puzzle" out loud. Haha. How soon to the next oone. need moooooooore

The alien one was easy, but haha I liked the logic behind it.

Amir0x

Banned
GDJustin said:

Hahhaa, let me tell you about this! This puzzle was THE ONLY PUZZLE I had to use a hint on.

So I was sitting there during a lull at work, and I got to this puzzle. And you know, I'm trying to figure out what it could mean... really,
I don't know how anyone could solve it without the game first telling you to look at a keyboard, but regardless I sat there for a while just sort of putting in different two word phrases. "Love ya", "Miss Me", "Kiss me", "Lick me", etc etc. Eventually at some point, I buy the clues and like you I'm looking at cellphone keypads and back to the regular keyboard.
Again, nothing.

I eventually get like half of my work crew in the office shooting ideas at me. Nothing nothing nothing. Getting frustrated now. But it's time for lunch. Sitting there on the line, waiting to check out. Like a lightning bulb, it hits me...
tech minded? "Texting" thumb? IT'S TEXT ME
. I enter that shit so quick, and nearly toss the DS against the wall when the bitch reveals that was it. I didn't learn until AFTER I solved it exactly why that was correct.

Christine

I didn't even see the damn bites. I just thought they were crinkly crenelations. I fucking mapped out phone keypad letters, nearby QWERTY letters, but I just wasn't seeing the answer. Ended up faq'ing it.

Top Bottom