• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Announced: New 3D handheld (no glasses!), reveal @ E3, out by March 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgnhh

Neo Member
sasimirobot said:
segahologram2.jpg

Never before have I seen a machine so terrified.

camineet

Banned
New Castlevania 3DS ?

http://play.tm/news/29901/castlevania-trademark-hints-at-3ds/
A trademark filing teases a new Castlevania title--separate from console instalment Lords of Shadow--which could be in development for Nintendo 3DS.
Related

Siliconera discovered the trademark application for Harmony of Despair and speculates that a new game in the series will be announced for a portable during E3 in June.

Since nearly all previous portable Castlevania titles have appeared on Nintendo handhelds, Siliconera presumes the game will be announced for Nintendo DS. Yet, it's just as probable that the game is being prepped for release alongside the launch of Nintendo 3DS.

While we can't be sure, Konami will lay this rumour to rest when it's likely to unveil the game at E3.

M3d10n

Dascu said:
Not only do they jump to the conclusion that it's a Castlevania game, they give the article a provocative and incorrect title to get hits. There's nothing in the trademark that even hints at this being a 3DS title. Woah, videogame journalism.
Yeah, it's much more likely to be a new IP or a Metal Gear game.

Instro

Dascu said:
Not only do they jump to the conclusion that it's a Castlevania game, they give the article a provocative and incorrect title to get hits. There's nothing in the trademark that even hints at this being a 3DS title. Woah, videogame journalism.

Its really not that big of a leap to to say its a 3DS Castlevania, but right its just to get hits.

Hoping for a FFV and VI remake on the 3DS. V is one of my all time favourites and VI would benefit from the improved presentation.

I'd like to see a FFVII remake on the 3DS since Squeenix probably couldn't justify it on the PS3 at this time, but I imagine the collective internet butthurt would approach Derek Vinyard levels.

Mr. Pointy said:
Hoping for a FFV and VI remake on the 3DS. V is one of my all time favourites and VI would benefit from the improved presentation.

I'd like to see a FFVII remake on the 3DS since Squeenix probably couldn't justify it on the PS3 at this time, but I imagine the collective internet butthurt would approach Derek Vinyard levels.

Unless they can fix the way that the jagged and pointy characters models look on the remade FF games on the 3DS, then I wouldnt want FFVII on it. Fix the models and they can remake them all and I would buy them

Dedication Through Light said:
They were cute and enjoyable (especially those victory poses/flips), but they werent certainly the best I could imagine DS could do.
You can definitely see Matrix get progressively better with their games as time went on.

For all its flaws, Avalon Code has surprisingly nice 3D for the DS

Yazus

Mr. Pointy said:

FFV is my favourite FF ever. I'd LOVE to see a remake on the 3DS. Also FFVI on the 3DS and I will jizz in my pants :D

GDGF

Soothsayer
Souldriver said:
So, has there been new info about this thing since page 1, or is this thread still going because of mock ups and cross-eye images?

That, and a few game possibilities.

Snakeyes

Dedication Through Light said:
Unless they can fix the way that the jagged and pointy characters models look on the remade FF games on the 3DS, then I wouldnt want FFVII on it. Fix the models and they can remake them all and I would buy them

What do you mean? If the 3DS has Gamecube graphics, the models are guaranteed to be better.

GDGF

Soothsayer
So I have a little tidbit. Nothing much, but it's something at least. I shot an email to Manfred Linzner (one of the co-founders of Shin'en) and asked him what he thought about the 3DS announcement and if his company might have something in the works for it since they've been pretty good at releasing games close to launch for Nintendo handhelds. I got this back:

Manfred Lizner said:
Hi Brian,

thanks for your interest.

Currently we can't comment on that topic but in the past we were always one of the first to publish on a new Nintendo handheld. I think we will keep it that way :)

best regards
Manfred

This is what they've done for the GBA and NDS :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD3d9QBj5fE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QwEwThHtww&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV7eE3-D_Rg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4-5NGSBVsY&feature=related

So maybe we'll get a Starfox like game close to launch even if Nintendo doesn't come through with one.

GDGF said:
That, and a few game possibilities.
Ok.

I'm counting on gaf that anything substantial (specs, pics, ...) were to leak, a new thread is created instead of it being dumped on page 222 of this thread. :)

Souldriver said:
Ok.

I'm counting on gaf that anything substantial (specs, pics, ...) were to leak, a new thread is created instead of it being dumped on page 222 of this thread. :)
Why not just update the first post in this one?

Dreamwriter said:
Why not just update the first post in this one?
Oh, I'd love that, but on gaf this is a very rare thing. When I make a thread, I see it as my duty as the topic starter to keep the OP updated with all new info. :) But on gaf this rarely happens. And strangely enough, mods have sometimes uttered it's against the rules. They don't want 1 giant thread, but different threads when new info is announced.

Log4Girlz

Top 5 non Nintendo games I would love to see in 3d

1. Tetris
2. Rogue Leader II
3. Virtua Fighter 2
4. Vagrant Story
5. Resident Evil 4

Souldriver said:
Oh, I'd love that, but on gaf this is a very rare thing. When I make a thread, I see it as my duty as the topic starter to keep the OP updated with all new info. :) But on gaf this rarely happens. And strangely enough, mods have sometimes uttered it's against the rules. They don't want 1 giant thread, but different threads when new info is announced.

I think in those cases the first posts wasnt updated often enough so news was just being buried among posts.

camineet

Banned
IPad, Nintendo 3DS Sales May Boost Rohm Earnings, Sawamura Says
April 19, 2010, 8:15 PM EDT

April 20 (Bloomberg) -- Apple Inc.’s iPad and Nintendo Co.’s 3DS game player may help boost earnings at Rohm Co., which makes chips for the devices.

The products “will certainly help boost our sales,” Rohm Chief Executive Satoshi Sawamura said yesterday in an interview, declining to specify details. “Apple and Nintendo are among our most important clients.”

Sawamura, who this month became the second president in Rohm’s 56-year history, is counting on Apple’s tablet computer and Nintendo’s 3-D portable game player to help sales rebound from the 12 year low in the year ended March 2009. He’s also seeking acquisitions to help the company sustain earnings growth.

“Our businesses have been stronger than expected this year,” Sawamura, 60, said in Kyoto, where the chipmaker is based. “We’re keen to gain technologies we don’t have through acquisitions.”

Apple postponed iPad’s international debut last week because orders for the device were coming in faster than it could fill them. Nintendo, the world’s biggest maker of game players, said last week its forthcoming 3-D model will be its biggest portable product since 2004.

Ken Toyoda, a Kyoto-based spokesman for Nintendo, declined to comment, citing the company’s policy not to discuss suppliers. Jill Tan, a Hong Kong-based spokeswoman for Apple, wasn’t available for comment.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...es-may-boost-rohm-earnings-sawamura-says.html

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So the question now is just what is Rhom supplying to Nintendo since they do a lot of different tech things manufacturing wise.

reetva

Banned
MrMister said:
Quick poll.

Who actually wants the next Nintendo handheld to be called 3DS, a return to the Gameboy line, or something different?
Let's call it the Gamecube Portable 3D
Bring on the GCP3D, dudes!

Seriously, though, I'm not a huge fan "3DS." I wouldn't know what to call it, though. If they release a new Gameboy alongside this, they should call it Super Third Pillar.

A man can dream... A man can dream.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
MrMister said:
Quick poll.

Who actually wants the next Nintendo handheld to be called 3DS, a return to the Gameboy line, or something different?

I know some people think it's corny, but the 3DS is fine with me. I'd be fine with a new name as well depending upon the name. I don't want it to be a return to the gameboy line though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
MrMister said:
Quick poll.

I want it to be called the 3DS. It works perfectly because it both mentions the new, big feature that most people will be most excited by while still relating it to the highly successful and well recognized DS brand.

RoboPlato said:
I want it to be called the 3DS. It works perfectly because it both mentions the new, big feature that most people will be most excited by while still relating it to the highly successful and well recognized DS brand.

I agree. It's almost a little creepy how well timed this thing is, feeding off the DS name and the growing popularity of 3D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom