• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2010 |OT| The 12th Annual Hermann Tilke Championship

1-D_FTW

Maybe it's because I'm rusty, but I'm spinning out a ridiculous amount of the time in time trials. I always babied corners when using analog triggers on a controller, but I'm keeping my foot down way too much coming out of corners. And I repeat the same mistakes over and over. Each lap is like a replay. I guess I'll get to grips eventually. Probably have less than 15 hours on my G27, so I'm sure I'll adjust to this whole wheel thing.

jlevel13

Animal said:
The pit stop bug ruined everything. I put so much effort in my practices, qualifications and my first couple of race laps and it was all thrown out the bloody window over this stupid bug. Very disappointed to say the least.

This is why I haven't even bother with the career mode yet, have just been doing time trials and learning the tracks and handling model. Time trials are actually really fun, watching lap times improve as I put the pieces together & climbing the leaderboards.

Any official word yet from Codemasters on a pit stop bug fix, or are they all on post-release vacations to the Bahamas?

Manik

jlevel13 said:
This is why I haven't even bother with the career mode yet, have just been doing time trials and learning the tracks and handling model. Time trials are actually really fun, watching lap times improve as I put the pieces together & climbing the leaderboards.

Any official word yet from Codemasters on a pit stop bug fix, or are they all on post-release vacations to the Bahamas?

From the Codemasters forum - http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/428943-pit-stop-issue.html

Many thanks for the rapid feedback on this. We really appreciate the details and, now that the team are returning from their short holiday, have started an immediate investigation into the cause. Just to clarify that this is most likely a bug with the pit stop release system being overly cautious, which is compounded by the limited pit stop strategy window in short race distances, rather than any form of intentional rubberbanding. Here’s a workaround for now, while we investigate further: -

Altering Your Race Strategy
By interacting with the ‘Tyre’ stack menu in the garage prior to a race you can adjust your default pit strategy. By making any of the following changes then this problem will be significantly less likely to occur as you will stop yourself from pitting on the same lap as the majority of the AI:

1) Increase or decrease your first pit stop by a lap from the pre-set default

2) Reverse your strategy to start the race on the prime tyres rather than the options, which will allow you to get significantly later in the race before having to make your pit stop (you’ll notice a recommended number of laps for each tyre compound, which will help you determine what lap to make your pit stop). This will require you to alter the both tyres which you start the race on and the pit stop tyres as well as your intended pit stop lap.

3) Alternatively you could also carry on with your default race strategy but choose to ignore the lap where the Race Engineer calls you in and select to pit on the subsequent lap. This is what I tend to do.

Altering Your Race Distance
The more you increase your default race distance up from 20%, the less likely this will occur as the AI will have much larger windows in which to make their stops rather than all coming in on the same lap, as well as the distances between the field becoming much more widely spread.

This issue is almost certainly less likely to be an issue in Multiplayer since the problem’s frequency is a function of how many people are in the pits at once, and your position in the garage line-up.

We'll be back when we've got some more details on this but rest assured we are looking into it.

Fingers crossed it's solved sooner rather than later!

NHale said:
The pit bug has to be patched very quickly. Like I expected this will end up ruining career mode and online until it's fixed.

I still can't believe how Codemasters shipped the game with this bug...
I'm not lol.

I wish the dry daytime lighting was better, looks like a 2 year downgrade compared to grid and dirt 2... especially when the rain images we have seen so far look so stunning and bright and nice.

Anyone in Canada able to rent this shit? No blockbuster near me has it, haven't tried Rogers but ...who the hell rents from Rogers.

Mihku

I'm a bit disappointed you can't save during a race. I like driving 100% races, but sometimes you simply don't have the time to drive for 1h30m. Hope they patch it in.

Chris R

Lion Heart said:
Anyone in Canada able to rent this shit? No blockbuster near me has it, haven't tried Rogers but ...who the hell rents from Rogers.
My brother works at a USA blockbuster. He said he had to put in a special request to get the game to rent. They were not going to carry it without that request. No clue how long that will take though.

edit: apparently they are getting the game in on the 24th, it just didn't show up in the system until now.

liger05

Mihku said:
I'm a bit disappointed you can't save during a race. I like driving 100% races, but sometimes you simply don't have the time to drive for 1h30m. Hope they patch it in.

Oh no. Thats killer. I remember my Japanese GT4 not having that option on endurance races. It was absurd and I didnt bother with it. I really fail to see why this wouldnt be put it on. Surely Codemasters know not everyone can do a full race in one sit in.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
NHale said:
I still can't believe how Codemasters shipped the game with this bug...
I can. Still waiting to see what people think of this game within the month and see if I should grab it.

Az

MiniBossBattle said:
AzRim & NHale add me to your PSN list. I will probably be terrible but it will be fun to play with GAFer (and hopefully have clean races).

I am gonna call my local BB and Gamestop to see if they got it after work. Fingers crossed.
I will add you both asap when I get the game. Hopefully we'll get more people from GAF that play on PSN for some races.

betlbum2

kmart.com has this right now for $44.99 without shipping. You can get free shipping by doing a free trial of their shipvantage thing (make sure to cancel within 30 days though).

slamskank

1-D_FTW said:
Maybe it's because I'm rusty, but I'm spinning out a ridiculous amount of the time in time trials. I always babied corners when using analog triggers on a controller, but I'm keeping my foot down way too much coming out of corners. And I repeat the same mistakes over and over. Each lap is like a replay. I guess I'll get to grips eventually. Probably have less than 15 hours on my G27, so I'm sure I'll adjust to this whole wheel thing.
Word. I have about 40 hours on my G25 and I'm still very much getting used to it. Sure is fun though!

As for the GAF tournament, when is the first weekend?

Juicy Bob

I'm sorry to say, this game is just too easy.

Just got the game, doing a full race weekend in Bahrain on Expert with no assists and I've just put my Virgin into P11 on the grid beating Lucas by 5 seconds a lap. I was honestly expecting the driving model to be more difficult as well, but the car hardly even locks up under braking and doesn't get unsettled by the bumps in Sector 1. I did a 1:59.592 while Lucas did a 2:05.232. I can't find anything in the settings that could increase the AI speed. Am I missing something?

Animal

Banned
Juicy Bob said:

Just got the game, doing a full race weekend in Bahrain on Expert with no assists and I've just put my Virgin into P11 on the grid beating Lucas by 5 seconds a lap. I was honestly expecting the driving model to be more difficult as well, but the car hardly even locks up under braking and doesn't get unsettled by the bumps in Sector 1. I did a 1:59.592 while Lucas did a 2:05.232. I can't find anything in the settings that could increase the AI speed. Am I missing something?

Make sure it says Expert and not Custom. Changing of any setting and then bringing it back will not bring it back to expert mode if I remember correctly.

Juicy Bob said:

you can change the AI difficulty to legend in your Main Menu. Next to the woman in your "trailer".

Yoritomo

Juicy Bob said:

Nope, and I bet you could shave 7 seconds or more off that time.

Frawdder

AcridMeat said:
As for tracks/length. Ideally, I would love to have full race lengths. The problem with that is having the commitment of as many people as possible to put away 2 hours straight on the weekend for this. I was thinking 30 laps for each circuit which would be roughly an hour long race.

In terms of tracks, again ideally I would like a full calender but if we're racing once a week the issue of commitment comes up again. I was thinking a half season would be best.

Feel free to give suggestions though, this is our championship! :D
I think the race length should be a percentage rather than a static number, 30 laps on Spa is going to be much longer than 30 laps on Monaco, not that I personally have a problem with that it's just if people want to aim for say 50 minutes to 1 hour of racing time a percentage might be better.

And yes, a half season would be good, get rid of most of, if not all the Tilke tracks.

OK so in time trials.. I go off the track and lap is invalidated. Fair enough. I try to get back on the track and it now says the next lap is invalidated. wft? How am I supposed to ever get a time if my next lap is invalidated every time I make a mistake? Am I missing something here?

Juicy Bob

lastplayed said:
OK so in time trials.. I go off the track and lap is invalidated. Fair enough. I try to get back on the track and it now says the next lap is invalidated. wft? How am I supposed to ever get a time if my next lap is invalidated every time I make a mistake? Am I missing something here?

It only applies in the final sector. It's to stop people cutting last corners and carrying unfair speeds at the start of the lap.

Juicy Bob said:
It only applies in the final sector. It's to stop people cutting last corners and carrying unfair speeds at the start of the lap.

Hmm... I'm guessing that's for online leaderboards. It's quicker to just restart the trial than have the whole next lap invalidated.

rhfb said:
My brother works at a USA blockbuster. He said he had to put in a special request to get the game to rent. They were not going to carry it without that request. No clue how long that will take though.

edit: apparently they are getting the game in on the 24th, it just didn't show up in the system until now.

Thanks, I'll check on the 24th. The stores I contacted suggest it might be regarding the name of the game, they didn't even have it in the database and would always type "formula 1" when searching for it.

AcridMeat

Banned
Frawdder said:
I think the race length should be a percentage rather than a static number, 30 laps on Spa is going to be much longer than 30 laps on Monaco, not that I personally have a problem with that it's just if people want to aim for say 50 minutes to 1 hour of racing time a percentage might be better.

And yes, a half season would be good, get rid of most of, if not all the Tilke tracks.

Ah yeah, I meant percentage. I guess that would be 40% of the race then. :)

Yoritomo

Yeah.... there needs to be another ai difficulty thats even harder. Even on legendary I get pole by over a second while in a virgin car.

And I just looked it up. I beat the lap record of the real life track in the virgin...

liger05

My game will turn up today but I dont think I'll even bother. I'm reading too many negative things and I think i'm just gonna return it.

Lucius86

Banned
Yoritomo said:
Yeah.... there needs to be another ai difficulty thats even harder. Even on legendary I get pole by over a second while in a virgin car.

And I just looked it up. I beat the lap record of the real life track in the virgin...

Really?? A full second in a Virgin?? I have read its easy from some people, but that is by far the largest gap I have seen.

Juicy Bob

I really need to stress that the difficulty issue is the only major problem I have with this game. Online works and is pretty enjoyable and the handling is satisfying and rewarding even if it's undemanding. I think the issue is that a car like the HRT feels identical to drive compared to a McLaren or a Red Bull - that's what I'm finding at least.

AcridMeat

Banned
Well I got my first pole on Sepang (w/ Williams). I am definitely not as good as people in this thread, but it was satisfying as hell. I have the AI one below legend, but the difficulty is still set to custom. I don't know if I buy the idea that if you set a custom difficulty the AI gets worse by default. My very first race yesterday had the AI on medium with custom settings and I won it by miles with Sauber.

AcridMeat said:
Since there's been more talk about how we're going to do things, I've got an updated list of players. Because we will need the qualifying (pole position) session, I was thinking of having it during the weekend of October 1-3. That way those getting the game this weekend have time to get themselves oriented and such.

THE LIST!

1-D_FTW
Animal
Foliorum Viridum
AcridMeat
TylerD
Leunam
Frawdder
Stop It
Lucius86
Valru
jambo
Dilly
Slamskank
Vehn
Salacious Crumb

If you would like to participate, you have plenty of time still just let me know.

As for tracks/length. Ideally, I would love to have full race lengths. The problem with that is having the commitment of as many people as possible to put away 2 hours straight on the weekend for this. I was thinking 30 laps for each circuit which would be roughly an hour long race.

In terms of tracks, again ideally I would like a full calender but if we're racing once a week the issue of commitment comes up again. I was thinking a half season would be best.

Feel free to give suggestions though, this is our championship! :D

edit: I will say I'm overruling everyone, we're going to have Monaco. We can put it towards the end though, so people get used to the game and hopefully aren't crash enthusiasts. That is, until we set it to wet.

edit 2: Or we just make it the first race and get it over with :)
Sounds good to me. :) If it means we have a full grid every weekend I'm okay with it not being a full race.

It might help if we knock up a timetable of what weekend races will be on and what time for each timezone, so if any obvious problems arise we can skip a weekend or whatever. It's doubtful most people will be able to do every race but if we have a good regular group we can maybe figure out replacements for absent racers etc.

I'll be happy to help you figure some stuff out this weekend when I'm not actually playing the game. :lol 36 long, long hours...

Lach

Yeahh...steam is going to unlock today (finally). I'll give it a try before Civ5 will probably take up all my time after tomorrow...

The game is disappointing on a technical level. At least the 360 version is. The framerate and the tearing are annoying as hell. I'm quite surprised by this.

Fortinbras said:
The game is disappointing on a technical level. At least the 360 version is. The framerate and the tearing are annoying as hell. I'm quite surprised by this.

anyone facing same issues on PS3?

while I still have the option to switch

amar212

almokla said:

Let's say it his way - PS3 game is certanly not execling in graphical area - EGO is just dot performing well on PS3 as it does on X360 or PC. I did a comparation with F1:CE because I wanted to see how titles stacks together and I was pretty surprised with some revelations.

However, one thing is importatnt - game is lots of fun (G25 here) and while it have LOADS of graphical issues when today standards are taken into, I find force feedback support beter on PS3 than on 360 so I'm pretty sastisified.

It will be a nice Saturday/Sunday fun prior to qualy/races.

But yes, framerate can be just disasterous in some occasions.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Juicy Bob said:

Wow...where is the :ROLLEYES: smilie when you need one? Dude, take your ego off the stage. No one is impressed. Just because you play a shitload of F1 games for living doesn't mean the rest of us do. I am new to this particular sub-genre of racing and I'm finding F1 2010 to be hard as fuck.

I was playing the game yesterday for a couple hours in the afternoon, and all I can say is that the game is excruciatingly difficult! I know I'm new to F1 games, but damn. I was having a hard time coming in anything but last even on CASUAL, with TC turned all the way up! I'm playing using the new ECCI wheel and pedals so it aint the controls :lol Feel like it's gonna take me 20 years to be just decent at this damn game. Anyone other n00bs having a hard time?

We wanted to let you know that there is an unexpected delay with your video game order (Order# XXX) you placed on September 12 2010. Unfortunately, we are unable to ship the product(s) as soon as we expected and need to provide you with a new estimate of when they may be delivered:

"F1: 2010"
Estimated arrival date: September 29 2010

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

Placed the order with Amazon UK :)

1 day delivery..

amar212

isamu said:
I'm playing using the new ECCI wheel and pedals so it aint the controls :lol

Will you still continue to make all of us mortals who didn't win the National Lottery envy or what? :D

Keep those elitist-nazi-ECCI crap out of this universe, you're making all of us hate you Isamu :lol

I don't get it. Dirt 2 and Grid ran great on the 360. I'll put the game on ebay.

I just HATE framerate problems and tearing in racing games.

NHale

almokla said:

Like I said before the framerate is also a big issue in the PS3 version. Sometimes it's random while there is a couple of corners where the framerate will always drop a lot (2nd chicane of the piscine in Monaco).

It's very annoying especially because in the next corner (Rascasse) the framerate is very smooth and you notice the abysmal difference. It's really a shame.

I also played Dirt 2 and GRID in the PS3 and I can't remember having any big issue with the framerate.

amar212 said:
Let's say it his way - PS3 game is certanly not execling in graphical area - EGO is just dot performing well on PS3 as it does on X360 or PC. I did a comparation with F1:CE because I wanted to see how titles stacks together and I was pretty surprised with some revelations.

Strange because I find that the game looks good in the PS3. Maybe it was my expectations after those "screenshots"...

My only complaint is the fact that the daylight lightning is average at best.

Seanspeed

Banned
isamu said:
Wow...where is the :ROLLEYES: smilie when you need one? Dude, take your ego off the stage. No one is impressed. Just because you play a shitload of F1 games for living doesn't mean the rest of us do. I am new to this particular sub-genre of racing and I'm finding F1 2010 to be hard as fuck.

I was playing the game yesterday for a couple hours in the afternoon, and all I can say is that the game is excruciatingly difficult! I know I'm new to F1 games, but damn. I was having a hard time coming in anything but last even on CASUAL, with TC turned all the way up! I'm playing using the new ECCI wheel and pedals so it aint the controls :lol Feel like it's gonna take me 20 years to be just decent at this damn game. Anyone other n00bs having a hard time?
Thats great for you. But for us more experienced players, having no challenge IS a bit of a concern. Games like this can be made for both the hardcore players AND the newcomers and everybody in between.

And just cuz its hard for you doesn't mean you have any right to act all bitter towards somebody who is obviously a lot better than you.

Plus, somebody who JUST GOT the game and is already putting a Virgin on pole position seems awfully soon, and suggests that with time and practice, there's going to be a LOT of people that get similarly up-to-speed and can dominate even in the least competitive cars(meaning that using any of the better cars would result in seriously, seriously boring races).

Sounds to me like this might be a game that is best played online against others, where the competitiveness is likely to be more satisfying.

amar212 said:

However, one thing is importatnt - game is lots of fun (G25 here) and while it have LOADS of graphical issues when today standards are taken into, I find force feedback support beter on PS3 than on 360 so I'm pretty sastisified.

It will be a nice Saturday/Sunday fun prior to qualy/races.

But yes, framerate can be just disasterous in some occasions.

yeah f1 ce looks better but how does it compare to f1 ce with the g25, all driver aids off, high ai over a full race?

f1 ce is the only console racing game where i have to drive flat out lap after lap to stay in contention for a win. is this the same?

Like I said before the framerate is also a big issue in the PS3 version. Sometimes it's random while there is a couple of corners where the framerate will always drop a lot (2nd chicane of the piscine in Monaco).

It's very annoying especially because in the next corner (Rascasse) the framerate is very smooth and you notice the abysmal difference. It's really a shame.

that sounds like f1 2009 on psp :(

and now we know why there was no demo.

NHale

Wax Free Vanilla said:
and now we know why there was no demo.

I doubt that was the reason for not having a demo. They could have used Monza where I drove around 30 laps with all types of weather and I never noticed the framerate drop once.

tyler

Fortinbras said:
I don't get it. Dirt 2 and Grid ran great on the 360. I'll put the game on ebay.

I just HATE framerate problems and tearing in racing games.

Maybe as F1 has 24 cars vs 12?

Can anyone comment on if the drops happen in TT when you're the only car or in MP with a max of 12? I've read that even in practice the other 23 AI cars can be in the pitlane so that causes drops in certain sections of the track.

NHale

tyler said:
Maybe as F1 has 24 cars vs 12?

Can anyone comment on if the drops happen in TT when you're the only car or in MP with a max of 12? I've read that even in practice the other 23 AI cars can be in the pitlane so that causes drops in certain sections of the track.

In practice it definitely happens. I have to try Monaco in TT to compare, I only raced Monza and Interlagos TT and the framerate was stable.

Top Bottom