• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Conference 2011 - Sept 13, 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrokai

AceBandage said:
Why?
That's what happened with Tri.

No, Capcom was the publisher in NA/EU. Is that what you mean? Nintendo probably only helped with distribution and the first party controller pack in, though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ShockingAlberto said:
They're not things I'd repeat if I actively knew the developer were working on something else, so in that sense, I find them at least believable.

But basically I was told that he expects to see a new Fire Emblem, a new Castlevania, and a Contra but doesn't expect a lot of people will be happy with the direction those games are taking.

This source was 100% right on what he told me about DQX and confirmed the MHTriG thing for me long before the TGS rumors came out. But this is definitely very specific and a bit more risky with three games.
They actually have been teasing a new Contra reboot in a new direction, so it's quite possible.

TheNatural

My Member!
ShockingAlberto said:
They're not things I'd repeat if I actively knew the developer were working on something else, so in that sense, I find them at least believable.

But basically I was told that he expects to see a new Fire Emblem, a new Castlevania, and a Contra but doesn't expect a lot of people will be happy with the direction those games are taking.

This source was 100% right on what he told me about DQX and confirmed the MHTriG thing for me long before the TGS rumors came out. But this is definitely very specific and a bit more risky with three games.

Fire Emblem Sports, Castlevania fighting game, and Contra FPS huh? :p

qq more

Nirolak said:
They actually have been teasing a new Contra reboot in a new direction, so it's quite possible.
Ugh, I hope it ends up awesome. I don't want another Konami franchise to go down the drain :<

Erethian

Pyrokai said:
No, Capcom was the publisher in NA/EU. Is that what you mean? Nintendo probably only helped with distribution and the first party controller pack in, though.

As I understand it Nintendo handled, or funded, all the marketing as well as helping out in other areas.

ShockingAlberto said:

Hmmm......

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
ShockingAlberto said:
If I had to guess, I would say 2D Fire Emblem with 3D models, 3D Castlevania, and third person shooter Contra.
Your speculated Castlevania direction is also quite possible since supposedly Mercury Steam is now handling the entire franchise.

AniHawk

Nirolak said:
Your speculated Castlevania direction is also quite possible since supposedly Mercury Steam is now handling the entire franchise.

what happened to the metroidvania that i loved and everyone else hated?

Nirolak said:
One of the reasons I think IGA lost all his clout with the franchise is that Konami stopped seeing 2D handheld games as salable and 3D on DS wasn't really a good idea, either.

I can definitely see them borrowing assets from Rondo of Blood PSP to make a smaller 3D game.

They probably see this generation as a second chance with a number of franchises.

As a longtime IGA detractor, I would be quite happy with the Castlevania bit. As long as it's, you know, good.

I do have a very hard time believing that that slick Contra E3 logo teaser was for a 3DS game and not a console title, though.

ShockingAlberto said:
I'm keeping my lips sealed about things I have heard, because if they do turn out to be rumors, I don't want it hanging over my head or getting people's hopes up.

I trust my source, but not that much.

PM the details to me. I wont tell :)

Erethian

AniHawk said:
what happened to the metroidvania that i loved and everyone else hated?

They ran out of money found around the office, between empty cubicles and underneath couches in the rec room, to give to Iga to make more games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Father_Brain said:
As a longtime IGA detractor, I would be quite happy with the Castlevania bit. As long as it's, you know, good.

I do have a very hard time believing that that slick Contra E3 logo teaser was for a 3DS game and not a console title, though.
It's possible they're doing both.

A new third person shooter Contra console game, and a companion third person shooter Contra handheld game.

I mean, presumably the handheld Castlevania game is coming along with Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 2 at some point.

ShockingAlberto said:

Would your source be usually accurate or more of a toss up? I'm not sure if I could see a new Yoshi and Wario Ware along with these other titles and the big guns anounced but what do I know.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lord_Byron28 said:
Would your source be usually accurate or more of a toss up? I'm not sure if I could see a new Yoshi and Wario Ware along with these other titles and the big guns anounced but what do I know.
As a note, the CESA rumors from GameFAQs make no sense because Nintendo isn't part of CESA.

This is why Yoichi Wada runs the organization.

I wouldn't hang my hopes on those earlier rumors.

Nirolak said:
It's possible they're doing both.

A new third person shooter Contra console game, and a companion third person shooter Contra handheld game.

I mean, presumably the handheld Castlevania game is coming along with Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 2 at some point.
A dual-market strategy actually might aid Konami with how they're struggling to provide IPs people are receptive to.

So things like MGS3DS for the Nintendo handheld crowd while everyone else gets the HD Collection, a scattershot of Silent Hill on various systems, maybe Z.O.E. on 3DS along with the HD collection, etc. Applying the same thing to future games would probably be right in line with that.

Erethian

Lord_Byron28 said:

It's not like all the relevant teams aren't free. Yoshi is rumoured to be Good-Feel, and it will have been over a year now since Kirby released. And I don't think the Wario Ware team is very large.

Edit: More the source of the rumour that's questionable, yeah.

Lord_Byron28 said:
My source has been accurate before, but you're only ever completely accurate until you're wrong.

It's not a Nintendo insider or anything, so if there's something being kept under wraps by Nintendo, he wouldn't know.

BY2K

Membero Americo
TPS Contra wouldn't be THAT bad if done well.

3D Castlevania doesn't bother me, after Lords of Shadow.

And I never played Fire Emblem, so I can't comment on that one.

wsippel

Banned
Nirolak said:
As a note, the CESA rumors from GameFAQs make no sense because Nintendo isn't part of CESA.

This is why Yoichi Wada runs the organization.

Also, the 3G flagship monster was revealed and isn't a fire type Lagiacrus clone.

Akai

ShockingAlberto said:
If I had to guess, I would say 2D Fire Emblem with 3D models, 3D Castlevania, and third person shooter Contra.

I'm most interested in how Fire Emblem could possibly take a direction "that people wouldn't like," and I don't think a change in visual style is really a "different direction" per se. Like a more action-focused game would most certainly peeve off SRPG fans...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For what its worth, that big list of first and third party software in development for the 3DS, sent out at E3 2010, included a Contra game from Konami.

I thought it also included Castlevania, but going back over the list apparently not.

If true, it does call into question how much effort Konami would put into titles like these. MGS3DS recieved an obvious downgrade, and though thats mostly KojiPro's doing there's really not a lot, if anything, from Konami that has hinted at top grade support.

Akai said:
I'm most interested in how Fire Emblem could possibly take a direction "that people wouldn't like," and I don't think the visual style is really a "different direction" per se. Like a more action-focused game would most certainly peeve off SRPG fans...
They have been trying to make Fire Emblem a lot more casual with every iteration, so that could be a direction people would dislike.

I do wake up in cold sweats that one day Nintendo is going to listen to the Gamespot FEX review and add Mii support for characters.

wsippel

Banned
Akai said:
I'm most interested in how Fire Emblem could possibly take a direction "that people wouldn't like," and I don't think a change in visual style is really a "different direction" per se. Like a more action-focused game would most certainly peeve off SRPG fans...
Could be realtime for example.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm both scared and excited for this conference. If the yoshi rumors are true I may just tattoo the nintendo logo on my back. =x

Instro

EatChildren said:
If true, it does call into question how much effort Konami would put into titles like these. MGS3DS recieved an obvious downgrade, and though thats mostly KojiPro's doing there's really not a lot, if anything, from Konami that has hinted at top grade support.
Hm well since this CV and Contra would be completley new games rather than ports, I'm a little optimistic that they are actually putting effort into them.

EatChildren said:
For what its worth, that big list of first and third party software in development for the 3DS, sent out at E3 2010, included a Contra game from Konami.

I thought it also included Castlevania, but going back over the list apparently not.

There is one really quite important Konami game everyone ignores.

IpO25.png

And by important, I mean creepy as shit. And kind of important.

Keep in mind, Love Plus just got a hardware bundle, even if it is only through raffle. It does show an eagerness to help cross-promote, though, which might mean Konami is getting on board in a bigger way.

EatChildren said:

It has? I haven't been following MGS3DS much and I was planning on getting that game when I eventually buy my 3DS but if that's the case I guess i'll wait till the new main pokemon comes out and hopefully the MGS collection comes out on Vita and I can get it on that.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
A 2D Fire Emblem with 3D sprite wouldn't bother me in the slightest, unless that game will also be taken in a new direction, and changed drastically.

On the other hand, a TPS Contra and 3D Castlevania a la LoS would. A lot, to be honest. But I'll keep an open mind.

Instro

madmaxx350 said:
It has? I haven't been following MGS3DS much and I was planning on getting that game when I eventually buy my 3DS but if that's the case I guess i'll wait till the new main pokemon comes out and hopefully the MGS collection comes out on Vita and I can get it on that.
Well it was originally touted and shown as an upgraded port of MGS3. A year later it was shown again and looked like they had basically just ported the game straight up.

Sennorin

Banned
Fire Emblen with 2D-gameplay but 3D-models, so just like the GameCube- and Wii-entry? Would be perfectly fine for me :D

madmaxx350 said:
MGS3D at E3 2010:

XuZBe.jpg

MGS3D at E3 2011:

mtJmE.jpg

Popular (and most likely) theory is that KojiPro designed Naked Sample, but outsourced the actual game.

I like 2D sprites...;; but if thats the only thing they change about fire emblem I don't think people will be too peeved....now make it a real time game or some shit and then there will be rage.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
madmaxx350 said:

Lots of people who arn't big on Nintendo seem to have MGS3DS way up on their list of titles that would make them buy the system, but I'm not sure why. The game is great, but its clearly a half-arsed port from KojiPro. All those beautifully improved assets from the original Naked Sample demo are gone, and the whole project stinks of being rushed. Plus, many hands-on reports at E3 said it controlled like shit.

I wouldn't count on it being any good, and anybody thinking of buying a 3DS really should buy one for completely different reasons.

Nirolak said:
Yeah, I'm not really hanging any hopes on those. Personally I wasn't overly excited for the rumors anyway since the only one that interested me was the Yoshi platformer but that could be entirely hit or miss.

Thanks for the verification on the accuracy of said source. Is Good Feel apart of CESA though?

My source has been accurate before, but you're only ever completely accurate until you're wrong.

It's not a Nintendo insider or anything, so if there's something being kept under wraps by Nintendo, he wouldn't know.
Hmm... Gotcha so they've never really revealled things prior. Seems odd how much is leaking out of Nintendo lately.

It's not like all the relevant teams aren't free. Yoshi is rumoured to be Good-Feel, and it will have been over a year now since Kirby released. And I don't think the Wario Ware team is very large.
I'm not questioning them not being able to be developed so much as I'd be rather surprised if all of a sudden a floodgate of 3DS titles get anounced all at once. Seems to counter Nintendo's Wii/DS strategy of anouncing titles close to release date.

EatChildren said:
Lots of people who arn't big on Nintendo seem to have MGS3DS way up on their list of titles that would make them buy the system, but I'm not sure why. The game is great, but its clearly a half-arsed port from KojiPro. All those beautifully improved assets from the original Naked Sample demo are gone, and the whole project stinks of being rushed. Plus, many hands-on reports at E3 said it controlled like shit.

I wouldn't count on it being any good, and anybody thinking of buying a 3DS really should buy one for completely different reasons.

Well for me it was supposed to be a good entry point to the system as any, OOT is my favorite game out of all i've played but I really don't plan on re-buying it so that doesn't really work as a reason, I haven't seen anything yet that I want, I still have my DSi and the backlog for it but I've seen so many people on GAF saying how DS games don't upscale well so MGS was the one I was excited for since I never had the chance to finish MGS3 but I guess I'll wait more.

gray_fox224 said:
Is this the first time in a long time that Nintendo has participated in TGS?

They are not as far as I know, it's a separate conference totally independent of TGS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom