• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

2GODx.gif

by tiny cartridge wich saw it at this guy's twitter

Ok, now that is an awesome find! Someone at NOA got lazy!

iirate

I can see this being well known for most, but it did blow my mind and change my life forever:
UStlV.png

So static art isn't as useless as I thought :p

This was well known to me, but I'm an art major, so that shouldn't be a shocker.

de Chirico.

Mind blown indeed.

THIS, however, blew my mind.

I actually never noticed it said Mario Madness

Also, I definitely remember using the "Mario Madness" tagline on several drawings of Mario I did as a kid.

Myriadis

It's probably a concidence, like this Battlefield Trailer and the Inception main theme, but it's really cool nonetheless

The Mass Effect Theme fits into the intro of Star Trek:Voyager. Same length, and there are indeed some parts where the music really fits, especially towards the end (at 1:24 and later) and the logo.
Interesting since both are thematically rather close. (Space and all that stuff with aliens and traveling around in a certain ship)

In terms of the art, they switched back and forth until Mario Bros. 3. After that it was always blue overalls and a red undershirt.
This always angered me as a kid because I always liked the red overalls better.

Actually the colors for Mario & Luigi tended to be pretty confusing and inconsistent as a kid.

Jasoco

Banned
In terms of the art, they switched back and forth until Mario Bros. 3. After that it was always blue overalls and a red undershirt.

Although, due to technological restrictions, Mario had black overalls in-game sprite-wise in 3 and a mustard brown/yellow shirt and red overalls in 1. But in 2, he did have blue overalls and a red shirt in-game. The box art was just a quick copy from the first game's official art. They just forgot to swap the colors. But the sprites were correct in 2. But incorrect in 1 and 3.

Ulthwe

I noticed this the other day:
3dstop.jpg

Some icons in the top screen (DSiWare ones as far as I can tell) show a little protuberance on their backs. Guess what's that for?

3dsbottom.jpg

For arranging them in the grid of course!

ArjanN

In Pokemon Black/White, your basic goal in the game is to awaken one of the legendary dragons (Zekrom/Reshiram) in order to defeat N, who has awakened the other. The in-game backstory in B/W as to how these dragons were created is a legend of ancient times in which two twins fought each other, and a legendary dragon which they both attempted to control. As a result of the twins' disagreements, the dragon split into two (a light dragon and a dark dragon, aka Reshiram and Zekrom). In the end, the fight between these two opposites results in the complete destruction of the region.

That legend sound familiar?

It's the plot of MOTHER 3.

It's also the plot of about a million fantasy books/games/anime, etc. It's just a generic fantasy trope.

CloakBass

Somewhat related...

When I was young, we had the illustrator of the SMB2 boxart visit our elementary school. He was being promoted as the artist for Rugrats joke books at the time. I think he also had some production art from Angry Beavers hanging up at his booth. I asked him to draw Mario, but he politely declined due to the line behind me. Thinking back though, man that would've been awesome!

Is this official SMB2 artwork too, though? I think it might be.

CXi5g.jpg

The American cartoons also used red and green overalls up to the Super Mario World one. The Valiant comics did too, even when it was tracing from the box art.

250px-Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png
V2Izr.jpg

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
3dstop.jpg

Some icons in the top screen (DSiWare ones as far as I can tell) show a little protuberance on their backs. Guess what's that for?

3dsbottom.jpg

And that's why I love Nintendo's OSs. They're so full of details.

And that's why I love Nintendo's OSs. They're so full of details.

To the point where they prioritized refining the details and adding "quirks" over adding basic, expected features. If they spent way too long making all sorts of quirky little animations for a "downloading" screen nobody wants to see after the first time, is it time well-spent?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
To the point where they prioritized refining the details and adding "quirks" over adding basic, expected features. If they spent way too long making all sorts of quirky little animations for a "downloading" screen nobody wants to see after the first time, is it time well-spent?

I like it and all the other details, so yeah.

Roto13

Ha ha ha ha, wow

Esiquio

3dstop.jpg

3dsbottom.jpg

Awesome find! I was just wondering that myself yesterday.

i'm sure that's exactly how it works at companies.

Venfayth

I noticed this a while ago, I tried a couple different searches but didn't come up with anything, so sorry if this has been mentioned already ;p

The themes in these two songs are almost exactly the same. The songs are different, but I'm always reminded of the other game when I hear them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xZwl_8dkNk - FF5 Royal Palace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCnY_jTm7jI - SMRPG Mushroom Kingdom

Sorry if no one finds that as cool as I do, hehe.

Platy

Somewhat related...

When I was young, we had the illustrator of the SMB2 boxart visit our elementary school. He was being promoted as the artist for Rugrats joke books at the time. I think he also had some production art from Angry Beavers hanging up at his booth. I asked him to draw Mario, but he politely declined due to the line behind me. Thinking back though, man that would've been awesome!

...or was it because he didn't had the japanese boxart to trace ? =O

Can someone explain the 3DS thing to me? I guess I'm missing something very obvious here but I don't see what the bump on the back of the cartridge has to do with the game's place on the grid.

Can someone explain the 3DS thing to me? I guess I'm missing something very obvious here but I don't see what the bump on the back of the cartridge has to do with the game's place on the grid.

If you imagine the grid as a 3D object, those little sockets are where the back of the 3D Icons would slot into to keep them in place.

These don't look similar besides having 2 mountains.

I'm glad someone said it because I was sure thinking it.

On a side note I ccan guarantee this has been pointed out but drakes guide tenzin in du:2 is obviously a reference to tenzing, the first man (along with edmund hillary) to climb mount everest.

If you imagine the grid as a 3D object, those little sockets are where the back of the 3D Icons would slot into to keep them in place.

Oh, OK, I see it now. Seems kind of weird that it's apparently only on some icons. And it's even more weird because even if the grid actually were a shelf, obviously it wouldn't require weird tab things to keep stuff on there.

Roto13

Major Skyward Sword spoiler:

Remember that Ballad of the Goddess is actually Zelda's Lullaby backwards? Well I'm pretty late in the game and it was just revealed that Zelda is the goddess the ballad is for. So Zelda's character theme is the goddess theme backwards because Zelda herself is secretly the goddess. :p

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A minor one, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is actually referred to Fire Emblem 8 in the files, despite being the 9th game in the series. Implies the game was started before or expected to be finished before Sacred Stones. Noticed it when playing around with Dolphin, in the Filesystem Browser.

Javier

A minor one, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is actually referred to Fire Emblem 8 in the files, despite being the 9th game in the series. Implies the game was started before or expected to be finished before Sacred Stones. Noticed it when playing around with Dolphin, in the Filesystem Browser.
That's because Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance were developed pretty much alongside each other, and during development they weren't sure which one was going to come out first.

In fact, it's very possible Path of Radiance started development way earlier. There was an FE game planned for the N64, but that was canceled. It is highly speculated, though, that FE 64 is the game that eventually became Path of Radiance.

Top Bottom