• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

UK GAF ATTENTION CUH-1216A NOW AVAILABLE AT GAME UK IN STORE.

BOX HAS NO HANDLE, MATTE CONSOLE ON FRONT AND CUH-1216A ON BOX.

I'll be picking mine up today, will post feedback on noise, pictures etc
Thanks for the info. Need it to show up at other retailers as I refused to buy from Game.

driver116

Guys, currently I'm experiencing heat issues with my original PS4 which I've got last christmas.

Currently its very warm where I live (25 °C - 35 °C) plus I have a new TV bank with two spaces below the TV to place electronic devices. In one sits my Wii U which is whisper quiet and hardly gets warm while in the other my PS4 sits and nearly is starting like a rocket flying to the moon. There are 6 - 10 cm space to each side of the PS4, but even if I'm in the menu the thing gets louder as the original 360. It's literally like a hair dryer and loud as fuck. The whole space is filled with warm air and when touching the PS4 it isn't hot, but very warm. I started Rocket League and literally had the impressioned that the console is melting away or starting flying to the moon...

Today I've bought the vertical stand and will lift it on top of the TV bank, but that is not like it was intended for. At this point I'm quite disappointed. Last year I had an Xbox One and while everyone was joking or complaining about it's VCR design, the thing was whisper quiet and didn't get warm nor loud during last summer. PS4 looks really good design-wise, but now I see that the smaller form factor and the included power supply comes at a cost... I really fear that it will get damaged if I let the console where it is right now.

Is the new model with its slightly lower power consumption worthy to upgrade or won't it bring much improvement?

The console shouldn't be enclosed in any way. Also, standing it up vertically is no good as the optimal heat dissipation occurs when it is laid down.

OCD Guy

As promised, I've just picked mine up. It was £349.99 with God of war remastered and last of us. Or £349.99 with bloodborne. I hate this damn English weather though, even in a bag the damn box got wet.

I'll be testing Killzone, metal gear, and resogun, as they made my previous white ps4 fan go into overdrive. I own a large amount of digital games, so if anyone has a game they'd like me to test let me know. I'll be using a sound meter app. For reference my last ps4 hit 76db on Killzone, now I appreciate the app will not be accurate, but I don't care about the dB figure itself, more the difference between the two consoles, as the testing environment will be the same, same location, same room temperature, and more importantly same sound meter.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On Demand

Banned
OCD Guy and MicDrive.......does the controller look and feel cheaper too? That's one thing i'm worried about with the new console. That Sony will try and add cost savings to the controller also. They shouldn't be doing that at all. The parts are cheap enough as we all know.

OCD Guy

OCD Guy and MicDrive.......does the controller look and feel cheaper too? That's one thing i'm worried about with the new console. That Sony will try and add cost savings to the controller also. They shouldn't be doing that at all. The parts are cheap enough as we all know.

Controller is identical to my launch one (aside from the fact my launch controller has rubber peeling on the analogue sticks). I'm literally analysing everything now lol.

If I was more confident I'd do an unboxing video.

ta155

Controller is identical to my launch one (aside from the fact my launch controller has rubber peeling on the analogue sticks). I'm literally analysing everything now lol.

Did they have the new model in white where you went?

Highwind

msaRwgK.jpg

Weather is OP as fuck.

Anyways, I managed to pick one up for £349 with God of War and Last of Us.

I don't think they had a white console in stock though.

It was quick and painless. The guy didn't give me any funny looks or anything (Ben).

OCD Guy

Weather is OP as fuck.

Anyways, I managed to pick one up for £349 with God of War and Last of Us.

I don't think they had a white console in stock though.

It was quick and painless. The guy didn't give me any funny looks or anything (Ben).

I was almost tempted to get the Bloodborne bundle for a second (at the same price) and thought nah fuck it, much better value out of god of war and last of us, even if they're older.

Yeah weather is shit.

They were probably well aware by the time you went there, as I had been in there just before trying to explain to them again as that Gareth guy was dealing with a customer. The girl that served me spent about 3 minutes in shock that the box didn't have a handle anymore lol

I know they're doing their job but I was asked 3 times about their extended warranty and disc protection, fuck off.

Does it wobble? This is a serious question.

Yes the rubber feet are still positioned in the same way, so the "wobble" and what happens if you push down are the same.

I'm sure a while back I actually read an official statement on why the feet are actually the way they are.

Chronos24

Wow hopefully with Europe seeing release now the US will finally see it. Can't wait for you guys to come back with noise analysis!!!! I've been through enough ps4s to entertain a small army.

Massa

I think some people said the Options and Share buttons feel different on newer controllers, is that not the case for you?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Digging the look of the mechanical buttons on the console as well. They look like they have a nice snappy "click" compared to most. How do they feel?

OCD Guy

Wow hopefully with Europe seeing release now the US will finally see it. Can't wait for you guys to come back with noise analysis!!!! I've been through enough ps4s to entertain a small army.

Not good news for me :(

It's still louder than I'd like. Tried Killzone, the first act when you follow your father outside and the fan ramps up like a motherfucker.

Measurements on smartphone app, are showing 69db, so quieter than my CUH-116a but still too loud.

Forgetting measurements the main thing for me is whether it's audible from 6 feet away, and it is.

I'm pissed off to be honest.

Game in Enfield is closed, so I'll be taking it to a different store tonight (closes at 9pm at Bluewater) to exchange it.

I've noticed lots of variance amongst ps4s though, especially in the way in which the fans slow down. Some will slow down immediately when closing the application and returning to the main "xmb", others will stay loud and slow down after about 6 or 7 minutes.

Some ps4 fans ramp up and down depending what's going on, I.e if you hit the options button while a game is open, or on certain games in the main menu, and then go back into the application the fan speed responds immediately, others stay at a constant rpm until it's left to idle for 10minutes.

Not good news for me :(

It's still louder than I'd like. Tried Killzone, the first act when you follow your father outside and the fan ramps up like a motherfucker.

Measurements on smartphone app, are showing 69db, so quieter than my CUH-116a but still too loud.

Honestly, I think certain sections of games will always be louder. I've changed the thermal paste on mine a few times to test it, and while I was able to get my PS4 to be quieter overall, certain scenes from Killzone still drive it hard.

Vashetti

Banned
We're not going to see huge reductions in fan noise until the Slim.

The hardware is just too compactly squashed together and gets really hot. A significant reduction in size of components will shrink power consumption and heat, and therefore fan noise.

OCD Guy

Honestly, I think certain sections of games will always be louder. I've changed the thermal paste on mine a few times to test it, and while I was able to get my PS4 to be quieter overall, certain scenes from Killzone still drive it hard.

You're right with regards to certain sections. Every single ps4 I've owned has ramped up at the same spots in Killzone for example, or if you exit to the "xmb" without closing down the game, however they've not all ramped up as loud. Also some have gone loud, but then gone quiet on loading sections in Killzone, while others have maintained an audible rpm throughout, regardless of in game or loading,

My current one isn't much better than my white cuh-1116a. The best one I've had was the launch unit.

Honestly I'd rather have had an external psu or bigger console if it meant reduced noise. Ah well. I'll try one more, and see what happens.

If the next one is the same I'm going to buy an official wireless headset and just wait for the slim to release. I can't be bothered with the constant exchanging.

I will say though that the tone of the fan is slightly different, not as annoying, but still audible. From what I know the fan used is the same, but any difference in noise could be down to a slightly different manufacturer or something.

Chronos24

I will say though that the tone of the fan is slightly different, not as annoying, but still audible. From what I know the fan used is the same, but any difference in noise could be down to a slightly different manufacturer or something.

When you say the "tone" is different, do you mean the whir that a lot of YouTube videos show? Kind of that higher pitched sound? Or does it just sound like air blowing out and no whir. (I only experienced that once with a ps4 that had no whir at all just the sound of air whooshin out the back)

OCD Guy

When you say the "tone" is different, do you mean the whir that a lot of YouTube videos show? Kind of that higher pitched sound? Or does it just sound like air blowing out and no whir. (I only experienced that once with a ps4 that had no whir at all just the sound of air whooshin out the back)

The high pitched sound, similar to the hairdryer videos on YouTube. The first cuh-1216 had a more pleasant tone.

After a lot of hassle I managed to get it swapped out, pleased to report that the new one is quiet, and I mean pleasantly quiet.

It's not silent, but nothing with a fan is going to be silent, even the Xbox One makes noise, the difference is you need to put your head near it to hear it.

The replacement is similar to the Xbox One, infact at idle it's actually quieter. Xbox one reads 49dB at idle, and the ps4 reads 45dB at idle. Bear in mind that the decibel reading is not scientific and I don't actually care about the end figure as the actual sound reading is not from a calibrated device, I'm using a smart phone app, but all I'm concerned about is using it as a yardstick to measure the difference, so the ps4 I have now is 4dB quieter at idle. The advantage of the Xbox one is the fan noise seems to remain constant regardless of what you do, the psu fan is noisy though.

To put some perspective on my earlier unit, at idle it measured 56dB. Anyway back to the replacement ps4, I downloaded rocket league quickly as that ramped the earlier one up, and the ps4 remains quiet. I'm happy with this one.

Two things I've picked up on though which are minor but thought I'd mention them is first,y the mechanical power and eject buttons feel cheap, they are a bit loose feeling and not as nice as the touch sensitive ones.

If anyone's got a Wii u controller, you know how the buttons feel on that? That's how they feel on the ps4. The other thing which isn't an issue, and I couldn't care less, but just thought I'd mention is the light in the ps4 (white when running) is much shorter, it doesn't look as good as the original, but no big deal.

Resseh

Damn, surprised differents ps4s of the same model family differ o much. I still haven't plugged in my white ps4 from the Amazon price error the other month. Hopefully it's a quiet one

Chronos24

Was hoping the 1200 series would have a little more consistency to it but obviously the models are still going to be a luck of the draw. Here's hoping my luck will be good once the US finally gets them.

OCD Guy

Was hoping the 1200 series would have a little more consistency to it but obviously the models are still going to be a luck of the draw. Here's hoping my luck will be good once the US finally gets them.

The reality is there's variance in every mass manufactured product, whether it be lcd displays with some having more backlight bleed than others, plasmas suffering more buzz than others, Xbox ones with louder power supplies than others etc.

I've been putting the replacement through extensive testing and it just won't go loud, I've played Killzone, Ground Zeroes, Infamous Second son, Resogun, last of us, rocket league, transistor, ether, put the ps4 into the xmb with a game running and left it there for 30minutes and it doesn't get loud.

The fan does ramp up, the fan is defintely going up a level whilst playing those games, however the level is barely audible. it has its idle rpm, then goes up one notch when you play a game and doesn't alter at all until you close the game, it then immediately returns to the idle rpm.

My first one, went to hairdryer volumes, and stayed there for about 10minutes of idling on the main menu until it gradually reduced in speed. The fan also went through more than one level, with Killzone for example it ramped up initially to a slightly louder level until gradually working its way to "hairdryer". It could be heard from 6feet away.

With the current model at 6ft if I mute I can hear nothing. It's honestly equivalent to the Xbox One, infact the Xbox one is more annoying as I can hear the fan in the power supply (console is very quiet though). To hear it going through the levels I've had my girlfriend play the game while I put my head next to th console, she actually thinks I'm nuts. "Who does that?" She said, which is true I guess lol.

Are you possibly able to guide me to some video or other document were they explain clearly the process for doing this on the PS4 ? I'm totally inexperienced of this kind of thing, but my PS4 is really loud and since the guarantee is going to expire soon I was planning to try to change the paste myself

Chronos24

The reality is there's variance in every mass manufactured product, whether it be lcd displays with some having more backlight bleed than others, plasmas suffering more buzz than others, Xbox ones with louder power supplies than others etc.

I've been putting the replacement through extensive testing and it just won't go loud, I've played Killzone, Ground Zeroes, Infamous Second son, Resogun, last of us, rocket league, transistor, ether, put the ps4 into the xmb with a game running and left it there for 30minutes and it doesn't get loud.

The fan does ramp up, the fan is defintely going up a level whilst playing those games, however the level is barely audible. it has its idle rpm, then goes up one notch when you play a game and doesn't alter at all until you close the game, it then immediately returns to the idle rpm.

My first one, went to hairdryer volumes, and stayed there for about 10minutes of idling on the main menu until it gradually reduced in speed. The fan also went through more than one level, with Killzone for example it ramped up initially to a slightly louder level until gradually working its way to "hairdryer". It could be heard from 6feet away.

With the current model at 6ft if I mute I can hear nothing. It's honestly equivalent to the Xbox One, infact the Xbox one is more annoying as I can hear the fan in the power supply (console is very quiet though). To hear it going through the levels I've had my girlfriend play the game while I put my head next to th console, she actually thinks I'm nuts. "Who does that?" She said, which is true I guess lol.

I'm the same way. Like I said before I've been through enough PS4 replacements to entertain a small army. I'm really glad the one you got is a lot quieter than the first one. I typically play late at night when wife and kid are in bed and the house is totally silent. Even though I use headphones I spend most of my time with them around my neck so I can hear how loud the PS4 gets. The one I have right now doesnt get too loud, but it is actually louder than the previous replacement i had. The one before never had that whirring/higher pitched sound you could only hear the air whooshing out the back. BUT, the damn thing's internals started buzzing like crazy after downloading ESO.

My current ps4 does like you describe where it'll ramp up and down for a little bit (I use TLOU as a gauge since a lot of people say it makes their ps4 loud). The 1st 30 minutes of playing it will start silent, then during play ramp up a little up and down depending on whats on screen. After about 30 minutes the fan will reach a constant rpm and stay there. At the constant rpm it's definitely audible but not nearly as loud as previous models i had before. Upon closing the game I'd say it would take around 5 minutes for it to go back down to idle speed. Playing ESO on this model I NEVER hear the fan at all unless i get right up on the unit. I have bloodborne but i havent installed it on this model yet. previous models were all pretty consistent (minus the no whir one) in being fairly loud playing bloodborne, If the 1200 model is better by at least a few notches my OCD will most likely take me to get that model. Wasnt there someone else in here who was going to tell us how their 1200 model was?

OCD Guy

. Wasnt there someone else in here who was going to tell us how their 1200 model was?

There's 2 other posters on here that have picked them up recently, one has no previous PS4 to compare with, but has got a friend who has the older revision and he says the new one is quieter.

Someone else picked it up from the same store as me, but hasn't posted feedback yet.

Without coming across the wrong way, I'm more interested in people like yourself that have gone through a shit load of ps4s and are sensitive to the noise, as when they say it's "quiet" it is.

Measuring sound online is always tricky as there are too many variables, people have different ambient background sound, different room acoustics, different room temperature, different levels of hearing sensitivity, and most importantly different levels of tolerance.

When I first got my White PS4, I had spoken to a friend who had picked one up and asked if his was loud, he said no it makes ZERO noise, let me tell you, it was not silent at all, but he just doesn't give a shit, and didn't notice it.

Now I'm not implying there aren't quiet and loud ones (I've experienced it myself) there are, the same way there were loud and quiet PS3 consoles. But simply someone on a forum saying "mines silent" doesn't mean much. They could be sitting 10ft away with a loud air conditioning fan in the background, while someone who says it's loud is sitting at a computer desk 1foot away playing on a computer monitor. Add to that the fact that there is variance in the different models, my launch one was relatively quiet, white one was very loud.

I can guarantee now you will 100% get people complaining about fan noise with the new model. If my first one is anything to go by there's bound to be a few others that for whatever reason, be it thermal paste application, heat sink not making full contact, or just slight variance in the components are loud.

crinale

Hmm looks like thermal paste application difference persists maybe? That's like only explanation I can find to cause massive discrepancies of noise level between same models.

Highwind

Hi.

Hooked up my PS4 and tested it out and I am not sure what is classed as loud tbh.

When I game I sit at a desk which is right in front of my console setup so maybe what I say probably won't apply to everyone but it sounded, dunno, normal? Like I could hear the fan but it wasn't anything I'd consider unbearable.

Compared to my Wii U I'd say it's about the same (if not a tad quieter) than the Wii U.

It's not something I really wanna stress about and go through endless PS4s till I get one that's "perfect" right now. Seems like too much of a hassle considering I bought it in store rather than from Amazon, which at this stage would be an even bigger roulette.

big_z

I've seen a couple people say this model ps4 sounds about the same as the old one. Probably not worth swapping to for noise reasons, I would just reapply the thermal paste in your old one if its exceedingly loud at all times. Fingers crossed Sony gets the remodel right.

It's not silent, but nothing with a fan is going to be silent, even the Xbox One makes noise, the difference is you need to put your head near it to hear it.

Xbox one makes a steady oooooo sound that you can hear 10 feet away. Turn the system on at night when nothing else is making noise and listen close. It's faint but once you hear it its easy to notice even during the day when its noisy. When resting your hand on top of the grill a bit and the noise will vanish, so it seems to be from air turbulence due to vent design.

OCD Guy

Xbox one makes a steady oooooo sound that you can hear 10 feet away. Turn the system on at night when nothing else is making noise and listen close. It's faint but once you hear it its easy to notice even during the day when its noisy. When resting your hand on top of the grill a bit and the noise will vanish, so it seems to be from air turbulence due to vent design.

The positive with the Xbox One though is the noise it does make remains constant, it barely fluctuates. Whether I'm playing a digital game like Halo for hours, watching Netflix, or sitting idle the noise doesn't change.

Have you listened to the psu? My one makes more noise than the console.

Kinsella

Banned

Not even an increase in battery life?

OCD Guy

Not even an increase in battery life?

I've not done any comparisons, to be honest my controllers are always on charge on a dock when I'm not playing, and are set to turn off after 10 minutes, plus I don't game for massive amounts of time in a row.

I'm honestly not in a position to give an answer either way as I've never had an issue with battery life for reasons above, and I've not fully charged both controllers and compared the battery life from full charge to empty, plus any difference there might be could just be the difference between having a new unused battery vs a nearly 2 year old one.

I can't see Sony having made any changes to the controllers with regards to battery life etc, I'm sure if they did they'd announce it in some way. Sony fixing the rubber peeling issue on the analogue sticks without an "announcement" as such, is more of a minor improvement, if anything they shouldn't have peeled in the first place. A bigger battery, or improved battery life would be announced and a new controller release I think.

Physically as well my launch controller and controller in the new revision bundle look identical in every way.

big_z

The positive with the Xbox One though is the noise it does make remains constant, it barely fluctuates. Whether I'm playing a digital game like Halo for hours, watching Netflix, or sitting idle the noise doesn't change.

Have you listened to the psu? My one makes more noise than the console.

My psu is fine. If it wasnt for the constant pitch the console fan omits it would be perfect.

I agree the ps4 fan ramping up and down constantly is annoying. It would be nice if Sony could add more stepping to the fan profile so the changes are more gradual.

Chronos24

Not sure if you guys are willing to do so but could you possibly post a video? (especially OCD guy since he's said his isnt loud playing anything). There's so many YouTube videos showing loud units, would be nice to actually see a quiet one, so people will actually know that they DO EXIST.

OCD Guy

Not sure if you guys are willing to do so but could you possibly post a video? (especially OCD guy since he's said his isnt loud playing anything). There's so many YouTube videos showing loud units, would be nice to actually see a quiet one, so people will actually know that they DO EXIST.

I can take a video, what game do you want me to show?

I'll also show it going from the game to the main menu (that usually makes th fan ramp up on most consoles)

iBlue

So I can't wait for the 1tb model to arrive so I am really considering getting a PS4 tomorrow, the bundle comes with batman, Tlou, and 3 month ps plus for $500 can plus tax. Does this model come with the thing that throws discs randomly? I read here on gaf people having their ps4 ejecting discs randomly. I am pretty much full digital now so do you think I should wait for the 1tb model or get this bundle?

ramyeon

So I can't wait for the 1tb model to arrive so I am really considering getting a PS4 tomorrow, the bundle comes with batman, Tlou, and 3 month ps plus for $500 can plus tax. Does this model come with the thing that throws discs randomly? I read here on gaf people having their ps4 ejecting discs randomly. I am pretty much full digital now so do you think I should wait for the 1tb model or get this bundle?
The 1TB is the old 1100 model. The new 1200 model will not spit out discs since it has mechanical buttons now (Although I've never had that issue myself). But is the 1200 model even out there yet? I know it's out in Japan and some places in Europe but that's it.

iBlue

The 1TB is the old 1100 model. The new 1200 model will not spit out discs since it has mechanical buttons now (Although I've never had that issue myself). But is the 1200 model even out there yet? I know it's out in Japan and some places in Europe but that's it.

So should I wait for the 1200 model instead? I am located in Canada so NA..

SlickVic

This seems to be an issue with certain Xbox One PSU's and their vents. The PSU that came with my Xbox One had the exact same issue you're describing (not a terribly loud noise, but as you said, easy to pick up even in a mildly noisy environment once you know what it sounds like). It wasn't a huge issue, but it bugged me enough that I got it replaced by Microsoft. The replacement PSU makes a very soft humming noise, but it's almost impossible to hear unless you put your ear right next to the unit. Definitely a huge improvement over what I had before (though granted, it never was what I'd call "loud"). It does impress how quiet the console is now.

Top Bottom