• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mafia III Review Copies Ahead of Launch

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Predictions? I'm going with 78 with the overwhelming feeling it could've been an 85+ game with more time in the oven.

Mr. Tibbs

Hate this bullshit where games are delayed to reviewers.

Here's hoping they have a bonus in place for good review scores, but it doesn't pass that score.

What a completely misguided, cruel wish.

Here's hoping the developers don't read your terrible post!

hbkdx12

Predictions? I'm going with 78 with the overwhelming feeling it could've been an 85+ game with more time in the oven.
I say low 80s at best.

The gameplay seems like typical open world. The three things this game seems to rest it's hat on is the story, the atmosphere and the racial issues that come with it. If they really nail those I can easily see reviewers being lenient with low, maybe mid 80s

If they don't nail those things then I'd say high 70s.

I say low 80s at best.

The gameplay seems like typical open world. The three things this game seems to rest it's hat on is the story, the atmosphere and the racial issues that come with it. If they really nail those I can easily see reviewers being lenient with low, maybe mid 80s

If they don't nail those things then I'd say high 70s.

Sleeping Dogs and Watch Dogs both hovered around 80%, so I think that's a realistic bet. If hours 10-20 are identical to hours 1-10, we might be going lower.

I'm still having that awful issue of "the gunplay seems uninteresting, and is also 70% of the gameplay." I'm also nervous that, like in any open world crime game, there might be awful scripted chases and finicky eavesdropping missions.

Jocund

Yeah, I'm feeling high 70s/low 80s. I'm not getting the sense this game needed more time to develop, though. From all indications it seems like this game had a pretty standard, controversy-free development cycle. If the game doesn't look impressive to you I don't think a delay would've changed that much.

Tohsaka

I heard on reddit that the publishers just lent it to them for the unboxing, then took it back with them.

Wow, that's pretty shitty. Still looking forward to playing it on Friday, my only regret is that I didn't pre-order it on cdkeys when it was still $32.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I really hope the side missions are just that, side missions to unlock bosses.

I hope there's actually story missions with fun things to do, otherwise I'll be so disappointed.

Xater

I really hope the side missions are just that, side missions to unlock bosses.

I hope there's actually story missions with fun things to do, otherwise I'll be so disappointed.

There are story missions, but it seems like there might also be a lot of open world stuff to do to actually get to them.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm feeling high 70s/low 80s. I'm not getting the sense this game needed more time to develop, though. From all indications it seems like this game had a pretty standard, controversy-free development cycle. If the game doesn't look impressive to you I don't think a delay would've changed that much.

I'm sure the AI could be improved with more time and that's the biggest issue with the game from what I've seen.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
There are story missions, but it seems like there might also be a lot of open world stuff to do to actually get to them.

Shame. Loved Mafia 1 and 2. Still hope I love this, but it sounds like an Ubisoft checklist game

Foffy

Banned
From the Reddit impressions thread.

Shit I like:

+Map is huge and detailed. "Hundreds" of interiors.

+Enemies react appropriately to locational damage, will fall and bleed out if you don't finish them off after shooting them.

+Stealth killing is apparently very fun and brutal.

+Racism actually has very nuanced consequences. Certain interiors "whites only," varying cop reactions, etc.

+Technically solid. Frame rate is stable, not too buggy, good animations, etc.

Shit I don't like:

-Enemies are all clones of each other. Repeat very frequently.

-Factions don't seem to fight each other (cops and gangsters will work together to take you down, might change in certain districts).

-Melee weapons don't seem to be a thing at all.

-No HUD options.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mafia3/comments/55ptiv/my_amazonca_canada_preorder_arrived_early/

From looking at the map, the Bayou seems really interesting. I love the idea of getting up to vile shit in the swamps.

No HUD options? I wanted to remove some of the clutter like that low quality mirror at the top of the screen. :(

SomTervo

Calm down timelord.

Dr Who's next adventure: The Great Release Day Timeloop

I've never played a Mafia game before. Can anyone answer a few questions about Mafia 3? I was thinking about getting it?

Is it basically just a GTA clone? I have to admit, I've grown weary of all the GTA clones, and I really didn't find Watch Dogs all that great. I mean, it wasn't a bad game, but I did regret spending full price on it at launch. I just found it ok.

Anything set it apart from those types of games?

Debating on whether or not I should wait for a Black Friday deal or pick this up at launch.

The earlier Mafia games? No. They had 'open worlds' but they weren't sandbox experiences. You just had story missions and a very focused narrative. It wasn't a GTA style sandbox where you fucked about and had loads of random content throughout the city.

Mafia 3? It looks far more GTA and Ubisoft than the first two. Lots of side missions, evidently a mission structure built onto the game world ('liberating' neighbourhoods, etc) very like a Ubisoft game, like a Far Cry or AC or Watch Dogs.

It's still not really a sandbox like GTA from what we've seen though - it doesn't look like you can go wild killing people, etc. Or at least, it won't be as fun or dynamic and the police will shut you down.

Fury451

Banned
Hate this bullshit where games are delayed to reviewers.

Here's hoping they have a bonus in place for good review scores, but it doesn't pass that score.

What is this, it's not a dev decision

No HUD options? I wanted to remove some of the clutter like that low quality mirror at the top of the screen. :(

The mirror is a staple of the series, pushing for the realism factor with that. But regardless I like more options to customize the screen- they'll probably patch something in if it gets enough attention.

Fury451

Banned
I've never played a Mafia title before. Do you get penalties for breaking traffic laws? Why else would there be a speedometer?

You do, or at least you did, I'm not sure if this one has it, but I imagine it will.

The first game had a tier system; ticket first, then arrest, then shoot to kill depending on what you were seen doing.

JJShadow

My copy is on its way as well, bought it for £30 through Flubit, so even if it's a 7-7.5 game my money was well invested

Will post some impressions as soon as I get it

Amazon.ca shipped this out yesterday evening so I'm not sure if it'll be here early or not but I guess I'm trusting it'll be a quality decision.
The game looks great, I've yet to see a reason why they'd decide to do this aside from something hidden nobody has found yet which sounds fairly conspiracy-ish.

Lucifon

Sounds like 2k aren't shipping copies out early to retailers either so earliest it'll arrive is release day. That makes things abit worrying.

Lucifon

A french reviewer of one of the biggest Website in France said on Twitter that the game is a technical disaster on PS4.

https://twitter.com/gautoz/status/783647483402522624

https://twitter.com/gautoz/status/783652039976968192

https://twitter.com/gautoz/status/783654312291495938

(I'm on my phone now i'll translate asap)

Rough Google translate:

Officially, we have not received Mafia III. Unofficially, I can tell you that the PS4 version looks a game early gen PS3.

Also camera picks, constant sound stutter, AI work. We are not in the shelter of the big patch day 1, but still. Cho.

A look back, everything disappears thirty meter behind a wall in the skybox. Banks, roads, buildings. As Driver.

dealer-

Top Bottom