• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 14: Snake... had a hard life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you guys seem to want as many Marios as you can get in this roster, let’s bring our next newcomer nomination into the fold by discussing:
tvqrap.png

Paper Mario

Notable Appearences
Paper Mario (2000)
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (2004)
Super Paper Mario (2007)
Paper Mario: Sticker Star (2012)

Bio
In the Paper Mario series, Mario retains his usual heroic and kind personality and combine them with the aesthetic of, shockingly, paper! Though this aspect is played down in the original game, the sequel sees Mario turning into paper airplanes, rolling into tubes, and various other paper-enhanced abilities. In addition, he also takes advantage of various special abilities granted to him by the many badges he collects and is quick to use his mighty hammer to make quick work of any foes. To those who come across this well- crafted hero, beware: this paper cuts deep.

What NeoGAF Says
“Paper Mario is one of Nintendo's best series, containing a near-perfect video game in The Thousand-Year Door. Moreover, with all the badges and special moves in the games, there's more than enough material for Paper Mario to have a totally unique moveset.” -The Great Gonzales

What do you guys think? Does Paper Mario sound like he could craft a move set interesting enough to set him apart from Mario? Or is this idea best left on the page? Discuss below!

Previous Newcomer Nominations Click on them to find out more!

What do you mean by that, for a non-tech saavy like myself.

I couldn't find 3D World, W101, or Tropical Freeze in retail, so I downloaded them. Really need to make sure to pre-order all future big releases.

External hard drive =] Like, a massive memory card that you can wire to your computer, or Wii U, in this case, for access to additional memory space. You can then store your digital goodies in one and play them off the same hard drive. They're massive too; you can find 1 Terabyte drives if you wanted lol

Cse

Banned
13 weekdays, and agreed. I'm sure all the PotD have already been planned and written so the leak won't affect them. Sakurai could have prepared for the inevitable leaks a bit better though.

I specifically said 8 weekdays, and not 13, because people WILL get their hands on the game early. People were posting images of themselves with their copy of GTA V days before the official release date. With Pokemon X/Y, many retailers actually started selling the game a full day early.

As with most big games, people will get their hands on the game early, and there's an extra incentive to do so in this case, as everyone wants to be "that guy" that leaked everything.

We'll be getting official information days before the official release date. We may even officially know the full roster exactly two weeks from today.

We should make a tally of everyone who believes and disbelieves in the following:

Chorus Kids
Ridley
Mewtwo
Dixie Kong
I fully expect DLC or not we'll eventually see the Chorus Kids and Ice Climbers. Former had way too much stuff that was from a legit source (if not entirely accurate) to just be a concept cut at the last minute, and I find it weird there'd still be IC enemies in Smash Run but not enemies for any other un-repped franchise.

Ridley/Mewtwo/Dixie I'm less sure about than I was last week, but until I get definitive proof all of that came from MFL or someone else NeoZeo was merely mirroring, I'm leaning towards them also happening somehow, alongside Impa and Mach Rider.

leroidys

The MK8 DLC leak makes me believe, for the first time, that we may actually get character DLC for Smash. Don't tell Nintendo this, but I would probably pay $15-$20 for a character.

Berordn

I wish I liked TTYD as much as everyone else seems to, it feels like I'm missing out.

But each time I play it, it just feels like a drag. Loved the first one, but I never got into the swing of the others.

Neoxon

We should make a tally of everyone who believes and disbelieves in the following:

Chorus Kids - Yes (or at least someone from RH)
Ridley - No
Mewtwo - No
Dixie Kong - No
Yeah......my thoughts. I'm not really a big believer in the Trophy Theory, & I never really thought Ridley had a chance.

Chorus Kids
Ridley
Mewtwo
Dixie Kong
I believe in 6 more characters, but I don't have any strong reason to believe in one over another.

I still think the 4 trophies = 4 newcomers thing holds true, and I think we'll get Impa/Demise and Ridley.

Paper Mario would be an okay addition, but I feel like the Mario RPGs would be better served by having a partner or villain from them be playable instead of Mario Variant 3.

Azure J

Paper Mario would be worth it just for series music, a Thousand Year Door "battle opera" stage (the stage you do fights on with the rowdy crowd) and potentially seeing paper versions of the roster a la that one fake PotD that was circulating a while back.

Berordn

hey

what if the pink stage isn't magicant, but actually Rhythm Heaven (the place)?

and what if rhythm heaven is like animal crossing in brawl, where it's a series without a playable character?

think about it

RomanceDawn

Chorus Kids
Ridley
Mewtwo
Dixie Kong

YES TO ALL!!!!

Honestly I don't believe strongly either way just count me in the all yes pile. I really really really really really really times infinity billion wish that it's real though.

As much as I'm a crazy Paper Mario fan (for the real PM, aka the first two), I don't want to see him in Smash as a playable character. Two Marios is already pushing it, and even though I've come to terms with Doc (and have started to like him), I still think alternate versions of the same character are not what Nintendo should be focusing on.

(Same goes for Toon Link.)

sfz

Banned
I would love to see someone from Rhythm Heaven! Has anyone suggested potential movesets for Chorus Kids yet? If they are in, I can see the three Rhythm Heaven Fever mascots being an alternate skin. I would imagine a moveset based around various RH minigames and funny sound effects.

I'd honestly rather prefer they hold off on Inklings/S.T.E.A.M./Mallo/Dillon style-additions for Smash DLC. Gives them more to work with when SSB5 comes out.

DLC should be used for finishing off veterans that were cut and newcomers that were already partially completed that had to be cut at the last minute, not diminishing the pool of stuff you can pull from to get people excited about the next game in 6 years time.

EhoaVash

hmm from the mk8 thread it sounds like " Advance Buy " is a new thing for the eShop

If you advance buy ( preorder basically ) mk8 DLC which comes out in november, you get early access to different colored yoshi and shy guy, starting tomorrow.

I wonder if Smash U will get any type of Advance Buy ( which rolls out in tomorrows update ) promotion? ...If you advance buy smash u on eShop, early access to ice climbers baby! ..

._.

sfz

Banned
As much as I'm a crazy Paper Mario fan (for the real PM, aka the first two), I don't want to see him in Smash as a playable character. Two Marios is already pushing it, and even though I've come to terms with Doc (and have started to like him), I still think alternate versions of the same character are not what Nintendo should be focusing on.

Now there are 4 Marios I MK8.

I'd honestly rather prefer they hold off on Inklings/S.T.E.A.M./Mallo/Dillon style-additions for Smash DLC. Gives them more to work with when SSB5 comes out.

DLC should be used for finishing off veterans that were cut and newcomers that were already partially completed that had to be cut at the last minute, not diminishing the pool of stuff you can pull from to get people excited about the next game in 6 years time.
Are you aware that in 6 years, there will be new characters to pull from?

SmithnCo

hmm from the mk8 thread it sounds like " Advance Buy " is a new thing for the eShop

If you advance buy ( preorder basically ) mk8 DLC which comes out in november, you get early access to different colored yoshi and shy guy, starting tomorrow.

I wonder if Smash U will get any type of Advance Buy ( which rolls out in tomorrows update ) promotion? ...If you advance buy smash u on eShop, early access to ice climbers baby! ..

._.

Advance buy for 8 more hats for Jigglypuff

J@hranimo

Banned

Yeah, my thoughts exactly on Paper Mario. Love the series, but don't want another mario as a character.

Apparently this is from the video leaker:

MhboFlu.jpg

Wolf is in according to this. Some spoilers? I guess?

I don't know if true or fake but take with a grain of salt. My friend found the image on Reddit from the same guy who leaked the vids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom