• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed - EA Access 10 hours trial is available for Download

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
What? Of course it's longer than that. What racing game is shorter than that?

It's not. I played for three hours and am already at 35 %. The trick is to always teleport to the next race, I did basically no free roaming at all. REP level 22. There are 79 events in the game and I completed 29. Should be easily doable in 10 hours.

The most fun I had in the beta was just drifting around corners aimlessly with the slider turned all the way to drift. Racing didn't seem too terribly satisfying with the rubberbanding, but I don't really care too much since they nailed the feel of driving for me

How are the races/events y'all have played so far? Exciting or dull?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Managed to complete the beta in 6 hours and that was 25% of the main story.

So realistically you could probably finish about 50% of the story if you know what you're doing I guess.

Will download it but not so sure I want to play that first 25% again.

That's why I didn't want to play too much of the beta. All I wanted was to get a feel for how the cars felt. Felt pretty good. If I wasn't too invested with Forza 6 I'd probably grab it this year. (Unless there's a great BF sale)

DOWN

Banned
Did they ever disclose the resolutions? They said they would later on, but that was in July

Too bad about even the single player requiring no maintenance and DDOS/EA servers available to be accessed otherwise even single player is useless, despite them saying none of the online features are important and can all be disabled. I can't support that and don't hear a reason for it to be that way.

Yoday

I really like this game, but it is honestly really hard to justify buying it when The Crew and The Wild Run expansion are going to be $40 a few weeks later, and that game is absolutely massive. I have this pre-orders but I am really torn on if I am going to keep it. I guess I'll wait and see how much game is left after this ten hours.

Oynox

That film grain is terrible!

However, the tuning is superior. Might be even better than Midnight Club LA.

excellent - thanks for the heads up. Will download this when i get home. I just got BF Hardline off EA Access and man that game is fucking terrible.

willbsn13

That film grain is terrible!

However, the tuning is superior. Might be even better than Midnight Club LA.

No way. MC:LA you could do a lot more in terms of wheel paints, tire profiles, better livery editor, interior customization, scissor doors, neons, hydraulics, etc.

Don't get me wrong this has a pretty good representation of customization (especially in terms of body options/widebodies) but MC:LA is still a step above this.

Oynox

No way. MC:LA you could do a lot more in terms of wheel paints, tire profiles, better livery editor, interior customization, scissor doors, neons, hydraulics, etc.

Don't get me wrong this has a pretty good representation of customization (especially in terms of body options/widebodies) but MC:LA is still a step above this.

How unfortunate.. I honestly had not the time to play very much yet, so that was only a guess to be honest.

I absolutely loved MCLA and I am still wondering why no racing game dev wants to make tuning as good as it was in old days (Underground 2 or MCLA).

ayartalha

Neo Member
What about traffic intensity? I've seen complaints about the lack of traffic. Judging by the time of the game, not much traffic is expected but if there is no traffic that would be a huge problem for me. I don't expect to see midnight club los angeles type of crowd but like underground series.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
What about traffic intensity? I've seen complaints about the lack of traffic. Judging by the time of the game, not much traffic is expected but if there is no traffic that would be a huge problem for me. I don't expect to see midnight club los angeles type of crowd but like underground series.

There's like zero traffic, maybe one car every 500 meters of racing. Even on the freeways.

Game also sometimes drops below 30 fps and resolution is something between 720p and 900p.

The tuning aspect is broken because you need level 50 to actually unlock all visual tuning options. You unlock new tuning aspects every couple of levels.

Gameplay is pretty shallow so far. The racing sucks because of rubberbanding AI that can potentially drive by you with 400 kp/h in a Mazda while you race along with 250 kp/h. It's just ridiculous. There's definitely more drift events here than racing. Sadly they all take place on the same five or six roads.

The story is ok.

Getting cops to hunt you is incredibly annoying. First they are hard to find. You can do mayhem in the city but noone cares. If you manage to find them (I got lucky twice in 3 hours LOL) you actually have to slow down for them to be able to go after you, they get easily lost in corners. If you go straight you'll get away easily.

One annoying thing is the almost complete lack of any rumble. You have to hit walls really hard for it to work. Or have spinning wheels(donuts). But basic racing has zero haptic feedback.

So far I'd rate this as the third worst NfS, just slightly better than Carbon and Pro Street.

So have they fixd the Tank handling?

I really told them in that survey after the beta.

They haven't fixed anything.

Mush

The nitrous recharges? Aww man, I loved that about the original NFSU, as it added a tactical element to the races of when to best make use of it (before the rubberband AI caught up with you).

Yoday

The nitrous recharges? Aww man, I loved that about the original NFSU, as it added a tactical element to the races of when to best make use of it (before the rubberband AI caught up with you).
There are two types you can install. One recharges over time, and the other recharges when you do things like drifting and near misses.

Mush

There are two types you can install. One recharges over time, and the other recharges when you do things like drifting and near misses.
Oh, I should have clarified. In the first NFS Underground, you only had one full tank of nitrous for the entirety of a race, no recharging or anything. All subsequent entries in the series (to the best of my knowledge, I have skipped a few) have had recharging nitrous.

Can you skip the cringe cutscenes?

Only some. There were several I couldn't skip (I think they were story related).

Regarding the Wrap editior,I think they disabled it for some reason. You could definitely do it in the beta but not here.

Anyway, it is very possible to complete in 10 hours depending on how good you are and if you skip cutscenes and teleport to your destinations via Phone.

B3N1

Played about 5 hours or so, already at 35% completion.

I chose the BRZ as the starting car, switched to the S2000 as soon as I could, bought the available upgrades and since then I'm using that, visiting the shop every 5 levels, getting all the stuff maxed. I'm close to saving up for some 112k Porsche, that's probably a good enough car for the endgame.

The rubber banding is definitely reduced, apart from the first few races, I managed to win all of them, even with crashing and missing turns one or two times per race.

As far as traffic goes highways are pretty much empty yet in this 5 hours I managed to crash more than in ~100 hours of FH2 as you only meet these fuckers in turns while drifting.

Game modes are mostly drifting which is fine by me as I got the hang of it pretty fast and it looks great with the new camera (which I love btw). Drift train is some unbelieveable bullshit though. Your so called teammates drive around 100-150kph constantly which is just a bit too low for my optimal curves. If you stay behind or ahead, you miss the points, otherwise they just crash into you.

Collision handling is inconsistent too as sometimes crashing into walls still awards you the drift score yet drift tapping (which was a nice addition in FH2) or touching cars makes you lose the points.

Customization is kinda useless currently as painting and decaling doesn't work. My S2k has 1 ugly af custom taillight available with 4 huge ass spoilers and 4 types of hoods. Even the first Most Wanted had more options. I guess options gonna be worse on a Porsche or a Ferrari.

The drift-grip sliders work well and make a difference but considering how easy it is to drift without losing any speed I don't se any reason to go with grip.

I guess I'll go as far in the story as I can, then finish it up from the Vault.

Had a pretty good time with the beta after a pretty rough start ( the handling takes some time and needs tweaking ). Is the framerate better in this version? If it's not a locked/steady 30 I'll pass.

Anyone know why the paint menu and a lot of customisation is locked/not present?

I bought the MK1 Golf and I can only change the bumpers (1 option each) and wheels. I have most of the other categories unlocked but they say no parts available, but I could swear I've seen an AI Golf with a huge spoiler.

jesu

Anyone know why the paint menu and a lot of customisation is locked/not present?

I bought the MK1 Golf and I can only change the bumpers (1 option each) and wheels. I have most of the other categories unlocked but they say no parts available, but I could swear I've seen an AI Golf with a huge spoiler.

Not in the early access

Need for Speed ‏@NeedforSpeed 17m17 minutes ago

@_zeddd We’re just tuning up some parts in the Paint & Wrap Editor, it will be ready for November 3

0racle

Not bad but the rubber band ai is turned up to 11

Utterly false. In fact its almost non existent. Ai using boost isnt rubber banding. I have yet to loose a race that I can blame on banding .

Beta was another story. That was frustrating to the point of nit wanting to buy it

Not in the early access
Need for Speed ‏@NeedforSpeed 17m17 minutes ago

@_zeddd We’re just tuning up some parts in the Paint & Wrap Editor, it will be ready for November 3

That's pretty stupid to release this type of game without all customization options. Doing so for Early Access is even stupider. It only limits my time spent in customization menus which means that I'm going to get closer to 100% by the time trial ends...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, thank god for EA Access. $5 a month to save me $60.

playing with 2 friends, stutters like shit now. played fine yesterday -.-

I just play alone. The game performs so much worse online it's baffling to me why they decided to make it always online. The worst part about this is that suspend and resume doesn't work...

Top Bottom