• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just watched The Phantom Menace. What a terrible movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FZZ

Banned
I'm still hoping that Jar Jar is the original sith lord and is orchestrating everything going on with the dark side

Pandy

I still like the film, and it at least has more original stuff in it than Star Wars 2.0 (aka The Force Awakens.)

However, I'd agree that it has the lowest low points of any Star Wars film. A nice tight 90 minute edit with a lot less Gungan would be a far superior film.

Heartfyre

It has some of the highlights of the prequels, such as the podracing, and I personally prefer it to Revenge of the Sith.

But nothing beats Attack of the Clones for its overwhelming terribleness. That's the low point worth discussing.

Darth Maul should've been the villain in all 3 prequel movies. Not some random sith that gets destroyed at the end of episode 1.
And yeah, the movie is pretty weak, but jar jar is not even the worst. Jake Loyd or whatever the kid that played anakin, is just terrible.

Why? He's the Boba Fett of the prequels. Has one line in the whole movie and then dies like a punk, but got popular because he looks cool. There's nothing interesting about the character. His only purpose was to die so that Palpatine was in the market for a new apprentice.

Nabs

I just watched it for the first time since release. Goodness gracious, what a terrible movie. Everything about it was bad.

Well, good thing the trilogy can only go up from here.

*Watches AotC again*

Hahaha.

thenexus6

I've been watching all the movies again after seeing The Force Awakens, my post from the movie thread..

Probably been a good 10 years since I last saw this movie. Thought it'll be interesting re-watching with Star Wars fever going on. This is not a good movie..

I'll just post some bullet point thoughts:

- Jar Jar is insufferable. Not funny at all, annoying and terrible CGI.

- Anakin is insufferable. Maybe even worse than Jar Jar if i'm honest. Absolutely terrible dialogue, and acting. The complete opposite of what he should be in my opinion.

- The CGI is bad everywhere.

- Terrible voice actors to play the Trade Federation guys. Sound like are doing really bad Asian voices.

- The Pod-racing scene is actually well filmed, but goes on too long.

- Pacing is bad. Just after the pod race and everyone leaves I looked and had been watching for 1 hour and 20 minutes and basically nothing had really happened yet.

- Darth Maul is still pretty cool, but so underused. Has like two lines of dialogue and only appears in a few scenes.

- The Naboo soldiers have terrible looking outfits.

- The royal starship, trade federation vehicles, command ship are really cool looking. Some nice designs there.

- The music is pretty good, some very good tracks.

- Anakin piloting the ship, flying into space and single handedly destroying the trade federation command base was the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

Mandius

It is a boring ass movie, but I think it shows that Lucas does a better job of world building than Abrams.

Everything, even the awful parts/characters feel like they have a bit more weight and permanence to them.

The entire prelogy is shit.
Yes. I've noticed some revision history going on lately with people trying to claim the prequels were good or at least decent. Maybe people are just in a Star Wars mood but fuck that. The prequels are trash. All of them.

Lilith

I didn't get the prequel movies back then when I was 14-19ish and I don't get them now. I watched the original Star Wars Trilogy at an even younger age with my father and it made more sense to me.
But the soundtrack has some jewels.

cormack12

Gold Member
Had to watch this recently again. Watching it again and having seen Plinketts review, gives it another dimension in awfulness.

Every scene pretty much has a soft screen wipe cut, which makes it look really amateur. There's no smooth transition between scenes because the actors at most move a minimal distance never opening up another scene naturally. Because of the all the CGI I imagine.

Some of the dialogue is terrible and downright cheesy beyond belief ('It's working!!!' and 'I beg you' to the gungans are particularly bad). On second watch, Darth Maul is like a boy band member with crazy face paint. I think most of his coolness came from the double ended 'saber.

Honestly should be consigned to trash and completely remade.

G-Fex

Wow this is the first I've heard such negative things about this movie!

But I haven't seen it in forever, I don't think I want to again.

Flintty

Everything in the OP has been discussed repeatedly since 1999. I actually like the movie though but the one thing that really pisses me off is Lucas' prioritising of scenes. Example: When Qui Gon and Anakin are heading back to the ship on Tatooine they are running. Why are they running?? Then out if nowhere Maul arrives and starts a fight.
Watch the deleted scenes and you will see why they were running. Why was that scene cut?? Yet Jar Jar had a lengthily scene of getting his hand caught in a pod racer engine and shocking his tongue. That scene has no use whatsoever! Cut it and put the other deleted scene in!

Just bad storytelling from Lucas. I'd like to see someone with talent go back to the PT and recut it for a definitive edition box set.

/rant

AmyS

Terrible trilogy. The Phantom Menace was the worst of them.

spoiler regarding The Force Awakens:

Starkiller Base destroyed the entire prequel trilogy system!

Oberon

Banned
Don't even get me started. The creepy romance between anakin and padme was so off putting.
He literally confesses to murdering men women and children and even though they were "sandpeople" she seems perfectly fine with that.
Thats a big fucking red flag right there. Any sane person would call him a psychopath but hey i guess thats just true love for you?

Maybe George Lucas just predicted the Irak war

The best to come out of those movies are the mr. plinkett reviews. I still think revenge of the siths is tolerable.

Costume design, pod racing and the score are all great.

I didn't care for the costume design. It seemed derivative, a mix of Flash Gordon and Dune and like I said Portman looked like a badly done geisha. Maybe it's because I've heard the SW theme so many times but even after watching it today for the life of me I can not remember any of the music.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I didn't care for the costume design. It seemed derivative, a mix of Flash Gordon and Dune and like I said Portman looked like a badly done geisha. Maybe it's because I've heard the SW theme so many times but even after watching it today for the life of me I can not remember any of the music.
Duel of Fates is the obvious choice but I genuinely think the film has some great music. Try listening the OST itself.

I really enjoy this movie and like it more than Ep 4 and 6
Jar Jar is atrocious but I think it has a lot of good parts.

The scene with the pyre at the end always give me the chills because you see how Palpatine has spun its web and how they are all trapped in it.

The politics and the power play are actually quite subtle and it almost becomes another movie of you focus on it.

MashKing

It drives me nuts how in the original trilogy Vader has a constant presence, but in phantom and clones the bad guys don't show up till for ever.

The funniest thing is that Lucas claimed that he made the movies for children.

I mean children sure love badly written trade policy drama!

Replicant

My biggest problem with the prequel is the lack of tension. Thankfully this is not a problem in the new trilogy.

Also, the ship designs were atrocious. Some of them looked like they were designed and modeled in Lightwave 3D by amateurs.

Also I love how bad episode 1 is that many of the super bad parts are barely mentioned.

Anakin has no father
Anakin incidentally got into a starfighter and destroys one of the mother ships.
Jar Jar's performance on the battlefield

That would be all things which could normally kill entire franchises.

Also I love how bad episode 1 is that many of the super bad parts are barely mentioned.

Anakin has no father
Anakin incidentally got into a starfighter and destroys one of the mother ships.
Jar Jar's performance on the battleship

My wife thought Qui Gon was his dad which kind of shows how much the story grabbed her.

Storyboard Anakin looked so much cooler:

2ZPBDSv.jpg

Poor Jake Lloyd was horribly miscast.

Why do people act like the podracing is good?

The introductions to all the racers goes on forever and the announcer guy is cringe inducing, then when the race starts it's just Anakin slowly catching up in complete silence, with music only starting up at the climax (which is the decent part).

Such a boring segment.

The game based on it is fucking amazing though.

Anakin has no father

They're just so bad that they should never be mentioned.

Sanjuro

I would argue it is the best of the prequel films overall, or at least the closest resembling an actual Star Wars film, just not a very good one.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Anakin has no father

All of those points have answers though..

I mean similarly episode 7 is dumb because you can replace Anakin/JJ above with Rey/Finn and it's the same thing. And people are rightfully calling ep7 out on it.

Gnome

Did anyone like this film?
Tons of people "liked it" for a little while, I would say most people in fact. It was very easy for people to lie to themselves when they so badly wanted it to be good. They'd deny it today if you asked though. I liked it, but I also watched it when I was 8.

That podracing scene is actually good though!
Psst, no it isn't, it's just that everything else is so fucking boring that it sticks out because something is actually happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom