• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 and Vita firmware updates 4.78 and 3.57 are out - remove Facebook support

Occam

Excellent. The less facebook, the better. Now please remove the icon, too.
dontlike.jpg

Shirow

Banned
Will you still be able to take screenshots and share them via other methods thou? I'm not a facebook user anymore but I did like to take screenshots of my games and share them.

Mandelbo

Will you still be able to take screenshots and share them via other methods thou? I'm not a facebook user anymore but I did like to take screenshots of my games and share them.

On vita? You can export screenshots to your PC via content manager and share them from there. You can't take screenshots on PS3 in most games anyway.

mclem

Indeed, instead of removing the Facebook option from the PSN settings menu to prevent clutter, selecting it brings up a message saying Facebook functionality is no longer available.

So now there is a useless option in the menu, just sitting there. Nice effort, I suppose.

It's been a while since I last explored my PS3 menus, is there still an icon knocking around for Home?

lol you have to be kidding me

Normally I don't think "lazy devs" but...
I'd guess that modifying the Facebook app is something the firmware team could do on their own pretty quickly. Changing the contents of XMB itself however sounds like something the higher ups and possibly other departments would need to sign off on.

LakeEarth

I rented a movie on PSN, and while watching it, this update auto-signed me out and made me download and install the update before I could continue watching it. Who the fuck designed that? I pay them $6 and they interrupt my viewing for 10 minutes to force an update that removes functionality?

mattp

oh i thought this said ps4
i was gonna be bummed about that one. i like having it pull in fb profile pictures and full names

Massa

My Vita downloaded this update in the background and asked me if I wanted to accept it and I declined it, my FB app still works for now.

I believe your Facebook app will still work after the update (don't quote me on it though). What this does is remove the system-wide integration with Facebook, not the app.

Probably the latter. Facebook integration pretty much amounted to just posting that you got a trophy in whatever game, which is about as useful as... you know what, fuck it, no one thought that was cool at all.

It was just annoying to see on your timeline feed lol.

Then... don't update?

PS3 and Vita aren't getting new features through firmware anymore, it's all end-of-feature removal (i.e. this FB removal update), security fixes and minor OS fixes

Just checked - if you don't update you can't use PSN, and everything else that entails.

Shirow

Banned
It was just annoying to see on your timeline feed lol.
It was somewhat of a free advertisement for them thou if you think about it. I don't post my trophies but I would constantly post screenshots of my games and friends of mine got vitas because they wanted to play.

Fellow Vita owners have you noticed that since this latest update YouTube videos that are posted in forums now don't have the option to be viewed? There use to be a YouTube Video screen with a play button that would allow you to watch vids posted in forums as soon as you click the play button. Now YouTube vids posted on forums is blacked out and only shows you the link to the video which brings you to the closed downed YouTube app on the vita.

hesido

Fellow Vita owners have you noticed that since this latest update YouTube videos that are posted in forums now don't have the option to be viewed? There use to be a YouTube Video screen with a play button that would allow you to watch vids posted in forums as soon as you click the play button. Now YouTube vids posted on forums is blacked out and only shows you the link to the video which brings you to the closed downed YouTube app on the vita.

Seriously, WTF Sony?. OK, remove the app, but don't remove the video playing option in the browser.

Seriously, WTF Sony?. OK, remove the app, but don't remove the video playing option in the browser.
Seriously, I always used my Vita as my multimedia device because I don't like cellphones but I may have to get one now to replace my Vita. This device is slowly but surely being killed off. I was hoping Spotify would be linked to Vita but nope.

Top Bottom