• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If You Lived in the Fifties What Would You Be Doing Right Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

Spanking my wife while smoking a pipe because dinner wasn't ready at 5:15 when I drove my caddy home from the office.

Really seems like some people had a golden age that will never ever return. All it took was a major war, the deaths of millions, multiple countries to be put into long term economic disaster, and the perfect synergy of social cooperation and social oppression.

no wonder so many people want to go back. It was all just so goddamned unlikely, from today's standpoint.

giphy.gif

grease.gif

07Oxo_f-maxage-0.gif

jogn-travolta-grease.gif

I would be in a Rock and Roll party dancing, I really like the Rock and Roll music and 50s charm but i's very hard to find someone else that feels the same these days

P.S I want to to the same on the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s

Really seems like some people had a golden age that will never ever return. All it took was a major war, the deaths of millions, multiple countries to be put into long term economic disaster, and the perfect synergy of social cooperation and social oppression.

no wonder so many people want to go back. It was all just so goddamned unlikely, from today's standpoint.

Only straight white men would want to go back. That's why shit went down in the 60s with civil, women's, LGBT and etc rights.

Well it was long before my parents emigrated. So I'd probably be working in a shop somewhere in middle England, and frequenting the many airshows of Britain's glorious jet building days.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Something boring and terrible no doubt, but I'd be drinking better whiskey and in my own actual house so that would be cool.

But no snowboarding, no downhilling, no good music, bush everywhere. Blech.

Old School hand draw animation. Would I have traveled to the US from Venezuela anyway? Sure why not, land of opportunity and all that. So lets say Hollywood hand draw animation.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Avoiding white folks like my life depended on it. Because it would.

Moonkid

Having a bad time in Korea courtesy of the draft
Pretty much. Unless I'm in New Zealand, in which case I'd probably be one of the first Korean migrants here. And yo, I remember you from the rap thread haha, never knew you lived in Korea or were Korean.

SeanTSC

Probably watching TV with some slightly younger white girl who I probably had kids with, because I'm 33 already so there's probably at least 2 of them and I'm mostly Irish, and shortly going to bed, because it's 11 O'clock. Also possibly in Canada instead of the US, given one side of my family.

Thank fucking god it's not the 50s and I'm with a slightly older Brazilian woman who is amazing and I love and adore and neither of us want kids nor conform to any social norms. It's 11pm and I'm just getting started.

Sinoox

Banned
Avoiding white folks like my life depended on it. Because it would.

lol the white people felt the same way back then. That was the problem, nobody had the ability to empathize with people different than them. No doubt whites had and still do have an advantage in society due to being a majority, but the problem wasn't as one sided as you make it; joke or not. There were plenty of whites that didn't discriminate; they saw beyond that bullshit. Same with blacks and any other minority, we can't generalize everyone back then like that. Racism and segregation was certainly a problem, but I'm in no way suggesting it wasn't though. I think history shows how most people ended up feeling about it all in the end.

I'd probably be living in the Dominican Republic since immigration to the US didn't kick into high gear until the eighties. Kinda hard to say, but I think I'd be a more outgoing and confident individual. DR's society may have it's issues, but they're good at drawing out the part of you that enjoys life. I worry that I'd be kind of an asshole, though. The "machismo" culture is real, son.

If I were a Dominican living in the US with my current latino as hell name in the FIFTIES? Get me out of there. I'm serious about that. I'd probably look to Europe for immigration before the US in that time period.

I'd probably be living in the Dominican Republic since immigration to the US didn't kick into high gear until the eighties. Kinda hard to say, but I think I'd be a more outgoing and confident individual. DR's society may have it's issues, but they're good at drawing out the part of you that enjoys life. I worry that I'd be kind of an asshole, though. The "machismo" culture is real, son.

If I were a Dominican living in the US with my current latino as hell name in the FIFTIES? Get me out of there!

Latino enough to dance in the streets of NY and fight against the Polish boys?

Fou-Lu

I would probably be doing the same thing as I am now. Studying and researching physics. Except I'd also probably have a better chance of discovering something cool and new myself.

besada

Banned
I'm surprised no one has figured out that many of you would be dead from WWII. Given the demographics of the forum, most of the people here would have been of fighting age during the war.

Another chunk of you would be dead from lack of modern medical technology. If you've ever had a complicated modern surgery, your chances of death would have been much higher.

Also, a chunk of you would be missing a lung from tuberculosis, or confined to a sanitarium for recovery. Then there's polio. Some of you wouldn't be walking. Some of you were killed by it.

Other countries would have different epidemics to deal with.

Another chunk of you would have died in a car crash by now, since crashes were more likely to be fatal before air bags, seat belts, and crumple zones. Assume that if you've ever been in a crash going over thirty, you were either killed or seriously injured.

I'm surprised no one has figured out that many of you would be dead from WWII. Given the demographics of the forum, most of the people here would have been of fighting age during the war.

Another chunk of you would be dead from lack of modern medical technology. If you've ever had a complicated modern surgery, your chances of death would have been much higher.

Also, a chunk of you would be missing a lung from tuberculosis, or confined to a sanitarium for recovery. Then there's polio. Some of you wouldn't be walking. Some of you were killed by it.

Other countries would have different epidemics to deal with.

Another chunk of you would have died in a car crash by now, since crashes were more likely to be fatal before air bags, seat belts, and crumple zones. Assume that if you've ever been in a crash going over thirty, you were either killed or seriously injured.

First post go us covered.

lol the white people felt the same way back then. That was the problem, nobody had the ability to empathize with people different then them. No doubt whites had and still even do have an advantage in society due to being a majority, but the problem wasn't as one sided as you make it; joke or not. There were plenty of whites that didn't discriminate; they saw beyond that bullshit. Same with blacks and any other minority, we can't generalize everyone back then like that. Racism and segregation was certainly a problem, but I'm in no way suggesting it wasn't though. I think history shows how most people ended up feeling about it all in the end.

It was pretty one sided.

Sinoox

Banned
It was pretty one sided.

Tell that to my family that grew up in black neighborhoods during those times. There was a misunderstanding between all groups of people, but whites had majority of power back then. That doesn't make it one sided. It just shows the instability of the time, that doesn't mean we should paint everyone who was white back then a racist. You'd be sharing the same mentality as the racists back in those times in that case.

Tell that to my family that grew up in black neighborhoods during those times. There was a misunderstanding between all groups of people, but whites had majority of power back then. That doesn't make it one sided. It just shows the instability of the time, that doesn't mean we shouldn't paint everyone who was white back then a racist. You're just as bad as the real racists back then in that case.

One group wanted to be left alone after finally gaining their freedom. The other group tore them down at every opportunity for decades upon decades upon decades from killing the children, and raping their women to flat out burning down entire communities and killing the denizens within.

This wasn't a case of "misunderstanding" at all. One group was fearful for their lives for very real reasons. The other group "feared" for their lives based on nonsense they made up to further justify how they treated people of said group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom