• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man dies charging iPhone while in the bath

Status
Not open for further replies.

diehard

Fleer
So i'm guessing the AC -> USB charger actually made contact with the water?

I'd be surprised if it was just the phone that made contact with the water was enough to kill someone..

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
How the he'll does someone not realize how dangerous water + electricity is. Apple is not at fault.

Metalmarc

Over here in the UK we are Taught in Schools do NOT mix live electrics and water, probably at 5yrs old and 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 and by our parents and by T.V, and Newspapers, and Cartoons and Movies and the News, and common sense.

What else can we do?

The charger converts AC into DC. DC is not dangerous and doesn't really do any harm unless the voltage is very high or you somehow completed a circuit. Still does not compare to AC in term of lethality. I assume that the plug fell into the water with extension. It's hard for me to imagine how it will happen other wise.

Hyun Sai

No Bathroom outlets in France, unless the legislation changed from the time they built our houses.

Makes sense IMO, can't trust people not to do something that can harm them.

Speevy

Banned
I don't get why it's acceptable to make fun of someone who died in an accident

We've been making fun of the man who blew himself up for ages.

Is usually depends on the situation and how funny/stupid it is.

If you climbed inside the spaghetti machine and made yourself into pasta, now that's pretty funny.

If you were killed by a drunk driver, that's not funny.

norm9

We've been making fun of the man who blew himself up for ages.

Is usually depends on the situation and how funny/stupid it is.

If you climbed inside the spaghetti machine and made yourself into pasta, now that's pretty funny.

If you were killed by a drunk driver, that's not funny.

Agreed. The hold my beer guy who jumps into an alligator infested lake? Fuck him, let's laugh at him. A random occurrence like getting struck by lightning? That's messed up, sorry bro.

The guy in the OP who shocks himself? That's the former.

darscot

He was in London, there are a ton of old buildings there that probably don't use GFCI's.

Yeah I get that. The hallway would not for sure, just curious if he actually ran the extension code into the hall because a GFI plug that would have saved his life was in use in the bathroom. I know the plugs in my bathroom are permanently filled with my wifes hair shit.

I'd be surprised if it was just the phone that made contact with the water was enough to kill someone..

USB power adapters have an air gap between the 240v side and the 5v side and only bad cheap Chinese ones screw this up. You can stick your charging phone and cable in the bath all day long and be ok.

dejay

Banned
This has nothing to do with Apple or any other manufacturer. This has to do with a moron who decided to rest 240 volts on his chest in a bathtub full of water. Possibly you need a warning label on extension cords, but from memory they already have them.

I wish they'd teach risk assessment in schools - it would help a lot from this kind of thing through to the perceived threat of terrorism. Even a cursory thought in this instance would have suggested a high likelihood that the outlet would contact water and that such an occurrence would have extremely bad consequences.

diehard

Fleer
Yeah I get that. The hallway would not for sure, just curious if he actually ran the extension code into the hall because a GFI plug that would have saved his life was in use in the bathroom.

Ahh, missed the hallway part.
USB power adapters have an air gap between the 240v side and the 5v side and only bad cheap Chinese ones screw this up. You can stick your charging phone and cable in the bath all day long and be ok.

http://www.righto.com/2014/05/a-look-inside-ipad-chargers-pricey.html

well damn, you learn something every day.

Kayhan

Tragic of course but he should have known better.

"Here let me just toast some bread right here while I soak and relax......"

Over here in the UK we are Taught in Schools do NOT mix live electrics and water, probably at 5yrs old and 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 and by our parents and by T.V, and Newspapers, and Cartoons and Movies and the News, and common sense.

What else can we do?

This is my issue. Common sense should have shown up. It's a avoidable tragedy that really falls on the victim.

I laughed when I read this. He put the phone on his chest...

I don't put my phone near the bath incase it gets wet anyway but to charge it? Has he never seen groundhog day!

One for the Darwin Awards. And a lesson for you all. Water and electricity don't mix!!!!

Zen Aku

electricpool.jpg

Remind of this.

Oh and then this happens as well.

number11

Wait.. the actual extension plug (plus the iPhone charger) was resting on his chest? Surely someone can't be that stupid.

Maximus.

Send a report to make the device safer? It is common sense not to have electronics, especially those plugged into the wall, close to water.

I laughed when I read this. He put the phone on his chest...

I don't put my phone near the bath incase it gets wet anyway but to charge it? Has he never seen groundhog day!

One for the Darwin Awards. And a lesson for you all. Water and electricity don't mix!!!!

I read it as he put the plug pack on his chest.. unless the charger was faulty the phone and cable falling into water wouldn't have killed him. If you put the charger on the floor by the bath the USB charging cable isn't long enough ...

Hyun Sai

GFI or GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. It's a breaker that quickly trips if input and output aren't roughly equal.

They are legally required in kitchens and bathrooms in most places in the U.S.

Ground fault interrupter. If the plugs shorts from the water it trips the breaker. Would have saved the dude probably but he would have had a nasty burn still.

Ground Fault Interrupter, if you plug anything and the flow is incorrect for any reason it turns off. All modern bathroom plugs will have it.

Thanks !

Monocle

Apple pls help me figure out the correct way to charge my phone while I am using it in the bath.

Will I be safe if I hold it in my mouth and use a mirror to view the screen?

Got

Banned
A coroner ruled his death was accidental and plans to send a report to Apple about taking action to prevent future deaths.

incoming generic human being illustration with iphone on chest while in tub and red circle with cross through it sticker to be applied on front of all future iphones sold.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
This stupid bathroom outlet keeps tripping for some reason! Better use the hallway one with an extension cord instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom