• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Sales Charts (W/E May 6th)

It really sucks that we don't get hardware numbers since we really don't know the extent of the damage to Sony's console by the Wii.

Especially in the Wii's case when it's killer app is included with the hardware. The appearance of it's software in the charts might suggest higher Wii shipments.

What? Along with nobody posting the full price charts, people forgot to read the CT blurb too?

Too many words. But thanks!

Mmmkay

What? Along with nobody posting the full price charts, people forgot to read the CT blurb too?

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=441&s=1111
After one week Sony’s ‘God of War II’ is deposed at the top of the All Formats Chart by Activision’s web-slinging super-hero film tie-in ‘Spider-Man 3’, pushing ‘God of War II’ down to No3, behind ‘Wii Play’ which climbs 2 places from No4 to No2 – up 30% in sales, helped by renewed Wii hardware stock.

‘Spider-Man 3’ records its highest sales on Xbox 360, accounting for 45% of units, while PS2 is 40%, Wii 10%, DS 4% and 1% on PC. It was a different story with the release of ‘Spider-Man 2’ which dominated on PS2 with a 65% share, compared to 23% on the original Xbox back in week 28, 2004. Sony however claim the highest number of All Formats Top 10 titles with ‘Singstar Pop Hits’ showing no signs of losing its voice, up from No6 to No4 and ‘Buzz! The Mega Quiz’ breaking into the Top 10 in its second week of release, up from No16 to No6.

Promotional bundling of the PC version shoots ‘FIFA 07’ back into the Top 10 at No7, while ‘Pokemon Ranger’ manages to stay ahead of the big DS exclusive new entry this week ‘Final Fantasy III’ despite slipping from No5 to No10. ‘Final Fantasy III’ from Square-Enix is this week’s second highest new entry, debuting one place behind ‘Pokemon Ranger’ at No11 in the All Formats Chart and at No2 in the DS Chart, while ‘Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar’ is this week’s biggest All Formats casualty, dropping from No2 to No17, but still holding on to top spot in the PC Full Price Chart.

test_account

XP-39C²
thaivo said:
Yep, but still impressive nonetheless :) considering the installed base, and overall cost to develop.

Sure, its a smart move. For only $10 (?) extra you get a game so i guess alot of people buy Wii Play instead of a separate controller, thats how people think. This means more money in the bank for Nintendo =)

thaivo

test_account said:
Sure, its a smart move. For only $10 (?) extra you get a game so i guess alot of people buy Wii Play instead of a separate controller, thats how people think. This means more money in the bank for Nintendo =)

I've been trying to live with only two wiimotes. Is Wiisports worth it if I don't really need a third wiimote? Or am I silly for not wanting four wiimotes?

Magicpaint said:

I mean actually, HMDS' success seems pretty standard - it's not just some little obscure game, but it still feels weird to see the UK buying this.

Did 42 All-Time Classics get a price drop? I mean, all of a sudden it sneaked onto the top 40 after many months of not being on it.

A Link to the Snitch said:
I mean actually, HMDS' success seems pretty standard - it's not just some little obscure game, but it still feels weird to see the UK buying this.

Did 42 All-Time Classics get a price drop? I mean, all of a sudden it sneaked onto the top 40 after many months of not being on it.

I'm actually surprised about 42-All-Time Classics the most. Hotel Dusk and HMDS got lots of store promotion around my area, but I can't even find 42 All Time Classics anywhere, so it's surprising seeing it in the charts.

Magicpaint said:
I'm actually surprised about 42-All-Time Classics the most. Hotel Dusk and HMDS got lots of store promotion around my area, but I can't even find 42 All Time Classics anywhere, so it's surprising seeing it in the charts.

I'd say it's a combination of somewhat lower stock and a sudden high demand for it.

test_account

XP-39C²
thaivo said:
I've been trying to live with only two wiimotes. Is Wiisports worth it if I don't really need a third wiimote? Or am I silly for not wanting four wiimotes?

To be honest i have no idea. I dont think any games in Wii Sports supports 4 players at once.

thaivo

test_account said:
To be honest i have no idea. I dont think any games in Wii Sports supports 4 players at once.

Sorry for the off topic-ness, but all WiiSports games are four players except boxing. :)

thaivo said:
Sorry for the off topic-ness, but all WiiSports games are four players except boxing. :)
You simply share the nunchuck and Wiimote between two people. The WarioWare game is better where you have to jump and are tethered together.

thaivo said:

The only game that requires 4 Wiimotes for 4-players is Wii tennis though. Golf, Bowling and Baseball can all be played with 2 wiimotes. That being said, 4-player Wii Tennis is great!

Innotech

Banned
I bought 4 wiimotes separately. I dont have Wii Play as a result. but I might buy it so I can have an extra wiimote in case of "a Wii incident"

Innotech said:
I bought 4 wiimotes separately. I dont have Wii Play as a result. but I might buy it so I can have an extra wiimote in case of "a Wii incident"
The game is short lived, loads of people bought the game and sold the disc seperately if you look around.

test_account

XP-39C²
thaivo said:

I ment at the same time ;) I know that Golf and Bowling etc. supports 4 player, but at each turn. Can you share the controllers btw? All 4 using only 1 controller.

Innotech

Banned
Visualante said:
The game is short lived, loads of people bought the game and sold the disc seperately if you look around.
mostl ikely I wouldnt play it much, although I do admittedly STILL play the hell out of wii sports Bowling, Tennis and Golf. Bowling itself is the sort of game I could play absolutely everyday for the entirety of the Wii's lifespan and actually not get tired of it. The variability of it is also the beauty of well done motion sensing. when its done right, with lots of variance, the games dont grow stale very quickly. I never once yet bowled two identical games in wii sports.

Sony seems to be doing perfectly fine in Europe, or i mean the UK and Norway. I don't see what everyone's going on about?

Sure its skewed more towards the PS2, but Oblivion on the PS3 seems to be doing really well. Better than I could have ever imagine.

Doesn't anyone find it strange that this 1 year old game that has come out on the PC and XBOX360 is doing so well in PAL regions but not in the US? I mean the 360 is not doing thaaat badly in the UK, so what's the explanation?

Nolan.

Visualante said:
Everyone who wants it. Has it.
Either that or they're still playing flOw.
Would look like the case I guess. Though even Crackdown and Gears are still on the charts.

Nolan. said:
Would look like the case I guess. Though even Crackdown and Gears are still on the charts.
Those two games are heavily bundled with hardware at the moment, I imagine that is included in the chart.
Word of mouth within a larger install base is probably doing it to some extent.

GhaleonEB

I'd just like to point out that Crackdown went up two spots in the All Prices and one spot in the Full Price lists. Legs, baby. Bring on that DLC.

Decado

Xzbeat said:
The first one did not sell that well in Europe. God of War is a killer app only in the US.
GoW isn't as big in Europe as the US...but it is still huge. Is that only GoW2's first week? That would be surprising.

Mmmkay

GhaleonEB said:
I'd just like to point out that Crackdown went up two spots in the All Prices and one spot in the Full Price lists. Legs, baby. Bring on that DLC.
Calling 'Halo 3 beta' DLC is a bit disingenuous don't you think :D

I think we know why Crackdown is selling so well. Anyway, as already pointed out Resistance and MotorStorm are in the full price top 40. Both the 360 and PS3 only have 3 titles in the full price top 40, Wii has 7.

nicholasphan said:
Sony seems to be doing perfectly fine in Europe, or i mean the UK and Norway. I don't see what everyone's going on about?

Sure its skewed more towards the PS2, but Oblivion on the PS3 seems to be doing really well. Better than I could have ever imagine.

Doesn't anyone find it strange that this 1 year old game that has come out on the PC and XBOX360 is doing so well in PAL regions but not in the US? I mean the 360 is not doing thaaat badly in the UK, so what's the explanation?

Oblivion has crept back into the UK top 40 previously actually, it's just a popular title on all formats it's released on over here (and rightly so, brilliant game).

The Oblivion sales obviously include the 360 and PC versions as well, and aren't just the PS3 version. Oblivion simply legs...I'd bet a pretty big % of the Oblivion sales last week were for the 360 and PC. Anyone have those numbers?

Narag

Maxwell House said:
The Oblivion sales obviously include the 360 and PS2 versions as well, and aren't just the PS3 version. Oblivion simply legs...I'd bet a pretty big % of the Oblivion sales last week were for the 360 and PS2. Anyone have those numbers?

Did you mean PC or is this a joke post?

Whoops, meant PC.

It only seems logical that PC and 360 versions of Oblivion make up a big portion of the Oblivion sales for last week. I find it hard to believe that Oblivion PS3 is outselling Motorstorm and Resistance.

Count Dookkake said:
Don't the Europeans know that Wii Play is just a tech demo? I heard they were smarter than Americans.
It's supply constrained- people want controllers for multiplayer Wii Sports and they can't get it any other way.

Nintendo aren't going to say no to that extra £5-10. I would be suprised if Nintendo is shipping any standard Wiimotes at the moment.
Why bother?

FrankT

chibcicylist said:
So much for UK being Sonyland.
It's looking like a clean Nintendo sweep so far.

He's right though. Wii's killer app is Wii Sports and I wouldnt have any other way. The difference is that Wii Sports has the potential to be the Wii's killer app for a very, very long time. It might might even become one of the best selling games of all time if the Wii ends up selling 20 million units with Wii Sports packed in. It also doesn't seem to be slowing down in Japan at all.

And yes, Wii Health Pack should seal the deal if it's any good and clikc with the masses as well as Wii Sports did. Then there's Wii Music...

Yes, that time has since passed, but this is nothing new. There initial launch was good if not great like every other territory and all indications point to it going the way as both the US and Japan, straight down hill. People can try to argue otherwise, but it's hard to argue with cold, hard, facts. After the third week of launch we know distrubeters had too much supply and could not move them, and thus they started selling them at a loss. Things will probably not get better any time soon, but we all know that. Yes, that time has passed.

syllogism

GhaleonEB said:

You make that post every week

test_account

XP-39C²
Maxwell House said:
Whoops, meant PC.

It only seems logical that PC and 360 versions of Oblivion make up a big portion of the Oblivion sales for last week. I find it hard to believe that Oblivion PS3 is outselling Motorstorm and Resistance.

The Oblivion numbers are most likely including the PC and 360 version indeed. Check the earlier charts (i guess they are posted here?) before Oblivion was released for PS3 and see what position it was on then.

Mmmkay

Maxwell House said:
Whoops, meant PC.

Well it's listed ahead of both MotorStorm and Resistance in the PS3 chart, so it's obviously outselling them. Also, on the week the PS3 version launched, Oblivion leapt from 31'st to 3rd on the chart and in a particularly competitive week against God of War 2 and LOTR:O. During that week, PC sales were static with Oblivion holding at 15th on the PC chart, and the 360 version rose 1 place to 5th on the 360 charts.

Maxwell House said:
Whoops, meant PC.

Hmm, I would think that PS3's portion is greater than 50%. I mean after the PS3 version launched, it has jumped up and stayed in the Top 5 or Top 10 in EU countries for like 2-3 weeks? So surely it must be the PS3 version? Of course this could also have had a rippling effect and increased demand for the cheaper PC and 360 versions.

Anyway, just checking amazon.co.uk, seems to say that the PS3 version is the highest selling by quite a large margin. Of course its only one retailer.. I guess. hmm the fact that GAME doesn't carry it also complicates things i guess

Arsenal

mood said:
No legs for Guitar Hero 2 360 in the UK?

It didn't even make the top 20 chart for the 360 which only seems possible if it is just completely sold out everywhere in the UK.

GhaleonEB

Mmmkay said:
Calling 'Halo 3 beta' DLC is a bit disingenuous don't you think :D

I think we know why Crackdown is selling so well. Anyway, as already pointed out Resistance and MotorStorm are in the full price top 40. Both the 360 and PS3 only have 3 titles in the full price top 40, Wii has 7.
:lol

I was referring to the actual DLC, which is supposed to be this week or next.
syllogism said:
You make that post every week
Yes I do, and will do so as long as those legs hold up. You may find that others make similar posts about other games they are hoping do well every week as well. I did not invent this phenomenon.

I'm actuall surprised the game has stuck around the charts so long - coming up on three months now.

syllogism

GhaleonEB said:
Yes I do, and will do so as long as those legs hold up. You may find that others make similar posts about other games they are hoping do well every week as well. I did not invent this phenomenon.

I'm actuall surprised the game has stuck around the charts so long - coming up on three months now.

Yes, you are just more dedi... oh here we go again

Anyway, a good chunk of the listed games have been on the chart for months and months

edit: oh and this "phenomenon" is quite asinine, but I guess not being alone brings some solace

Mmmkay said:

Well it's listed ahead of both MotorStorm and Resistance in the PS3 chart, so it's obviously outselling them. Also, on the week the PS3 version launched, Oblivion leapt from 31'st to 3rd on the chart and in a particularly competitive week against God of War 2 and LOTR:O. During that week, PC sales were static with Oblivion holding at 15th on the PC chart, and the 360 version rose 1 place to 5th on the 360 charts.

Germany-Charts:

Week 17 , 23.04.07 - 29.04.07

1. (NDS) Harvest Moon DS
2. (NDS) Pokèmon Ranger
3. (NDS) Dr. Kawashimas Gehirn-Jogging
4. (NDS) Diddy Kong Racing DS
5. (NDS) Mario Slam Basketball
6. (NDS) New Super Mario Bros.
7. (NDS) Animal Crossing: Wild World
8. (NDS) Nintendogs Labrador
9. (NDS) Nintendogs Dalmatiner
10. (NDS) Hotel Dusk: Room 215

(PS3 and Wii are not considered)

Busaiku

Sindou_Hikaru20 said:
Germany-Charts:

1. (NDS) Harvest Moon DS
2. (NDS) Pokèmon Ranger
I said holy ****ing ****.
This is worse than Japan (there are at least Wii games on that chart).
But there are some good games on that chart.

EDIT: Oh

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Sindou_Hikaru20 said:
Germany-Charts:

1. (NDS) Harvest Moon DS
2. (NDS) Pokèmon Ranger

(PS3 and Wii are not considered)
Holy ****, this is insane. (and I know this is the 3rd or 4th time that that we see top 10 DS games as top 10 chart)

Busaiku said:
I said holy ****ing ****.
This is worse than Japan (there are at least Wii games on that chart).
But there are some good games on that chart.
He said they don't count Wii and PS3 games yet.

Bo130

Australia

1. God of War II
2. TMNT: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (DS)
3. Spider-Man 3 (360)
4. Diddy Kong Racing DS
5. Nintendogs: Dalmatian & Friends
6. Nintendogs: Labrador & Friends
7. TMNT: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (PS2)
8. Final Fantasy III
9. The Elder Scrolls IV: Obvilion (PS3)
10. Motorstorm

Top Bottom