• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming music, what one song makes you get pumped?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
MGS3 - Snake Eater (When he's climbing the ladder)
DMC3 - Taste The Blood (Fight Like a Man)

The MGS theme, epic and iconic, the second I hear a part of it there's a chemical reaction in my brain that makes my mind freak out.

Much like whenever I hear the Rocky theme, except for that one I'll either immediately go for a run or head to the gym.

Salazar

Age of Empires music. Sometimes it chills me out, and sometimes it makes me aggressive. Invariably, I play the game for longer than I should.

Stench said:
When I went to Video Games Live a while back, I can remember the crowd going f*cking nuclear after the Halo 3 cue was played... guys were jumping out of their seats and high-fiving each other. F*ck, that was so awesome.

VIDEO HERE BITCHES, OH MY F*CKING GOD!!!!!!

I wish they would put out a concert dvd or something besides crappy YouTube clips.

Music in video games is truly one of the most underrated aspects. An epic music score can turn a good game into a legendary game. Just look at the games people have the fondest memories of and they almost all have unforgettable soundtracks: metal gear solid, final fantasies, chronos, mario, sonics, halos, megamans, devil may crys, etc. etc.

Mmm. Yeah Force your Way, SEED, and Lunatic Pandora *drools*. Final Fantasy 8/9 were freaking amazing in all aspects.

Zelda is bomba for me these days. The GBA and Ocarina/Majoras were great and easily rivaled FF8/9 but Twilight Princess=bomba.

WTF happened there?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
CrushDance said:
Mmm. Yeah Force your Way, SEED, and Lunatic Pandora *drools*. Final Fantasy 8/9 were freaking amazing in all aspects.

Zelda is bomba for me these days. The GBA and Ocarina/Majoras were great and easily rivaled FF8/9 but Twilight Princess=bomba.

WTF happened there?

Weak composition and poor samples. But there are some good songs on the soundtrack. The only one I can remember in TP is the "oh shiz
Midna am dying
" piano theme.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Phoenix Wright--- Investigation.

Actually, pretty much any of the Phoenix Wright music, especially the Orchrestra, Jazz and Cadanza albums

tnw

Banned
G-Fex said:
sounds all the same no?

Well, there's the battle music against the spore and the dragon guy in Maridia, there's the battle music against Phantoon/Kraid. Then there's different music against Ridley,Draygon, Chozo etc. And then of course Mother Brain battle music

They're all pretty different. But they're all great.

You're probably thinking of the one against Phantoon/Kraid.

I like watching red scarlet speed runs with that music. she 'dances' along to the music pressing the L/R buttons :lol

Fallout 2 - All Clear Signal (Vault City theme)
Fallout 2 - Gold Slouch (Redding theme)
Duke Nukem 3d - Menu tune. It was a midi, but I definitely knew I was on the verge of kicking ass and chewing bubble game.

I know 2 of my 3 come from the same game, but Fallout 2 definitely has the most amazing music in any game I've ever played. The songs just capture the cities about which they are written. Just brilliant.

rs7k

The music in MGS1 was also very awesome. I didn't care much for it in MGS2, let alone anything in MGS2 :(

Gears of War wasn't all that memorable, but the dynamic music and the gunfights together were pure sex.

The music in FF12's intro is also something I'll remember for a while. Actually, I don't think there is a better intro than that.

argon

- MGS1, the entire soundtrack
- "Samus Aran's Appearance Fanfare" from Super Metroid: Sound in Action
- Dark World theme in Zelda: LTTP
- FF7, the Northern Crater song at the end

MGS2 Main theme

"The Decisive Battle", Final Fantasy

"Start of a New Trial," Phoenix Wright Classical Album (actually all of the songs in there are kick-ass, you can get it for free from Court Records since it's Japan-only release)

and who could forget Time's Scar from Chrono Cross.

DCharlie

Banned
Licensed :

- Rock is Sponge (Jyujouka) - Rez
- Tin There (Underworld) - Wipeout 2097
- Megablast (Bomb the Bass) - Xenon 2

Non-licensed

- Commando (Hubbard) - C64 version
- Crazy Comets (Hubbard) - C64 version
- Disco Ball (Namco) - Ridge Racer series

Red Alert Hell March (wait for it...)

MGS:3 This one just shocked me. My first time through, playing the opening mission, I felt that there was something... missing since it just loads up to that splash screen. Then, about 2 1/2 hours in, a nuke is launched, and BOOM... this Bond-esque terrific song comes up over the credits and I realize... in my 2 1/2 hours, I had just played the equivalent of the first 10 minute teaser of a Bond movie.

Liberi Fatali from FF8... as well as Maybe I'm a Lion (Especially the live More Friends version.)

Finally, while it doesn't get my blood boiling or anything, The Chrono Trigger/Cross Medley from Play! just strikes a wonderfully nostalgic, geek chord... especially the lyrical piano opening.

IAmtheFMan said:
MGS:3 This one just shocked me. My first time through, playing the opening mission, I felt that there was something... missing since it just loads up to that splash screen. Then, about 2 1/2 hours in, a nuke is launched, and BOOM... this Bond-esque terrific song comes up over the credits and I realize... in my 2 1/2 hours, I had just played the equivalent of the first 10 minute teaser of a Bond movie.

LMFAO!! That looks exactly like the opening of a Bond movie! This guy is a genius!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Phoenix Wright: Ryuuchi Naruhodou~ Objection! 2001

Tales of Symphonia: Fatalize

Top 3? Erm... its always so hard to narrow them down :S

Lets see...

1) Chrono Cross - Ending Theme "Radical Dreamers" - PS1 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NuU3YF41QE
(The entire OST is one of the best game OSTs ever!)
2) Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner - Intro "Beyond the Bonds" - PS2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyphxphcPYQ
3) Final Fantasy VIII - Intro "Liberi Fatali" - PS1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pZ2ibvZb2Q

Meh... that's prolly not my accurate top 3 :p But the first one is 100% correct. That song is simply amazing

Metalmurphy said:
Top 3? Erm... its always so hard to narrow them down :S

Lets see...

1) Chrono Cross - Ending Theme "Radical Dreamers" - PS1 -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NuU3YF41QE
(The entire OST is one of the best game OSTs ever!
2) Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner - Intro "Beyond the Bonds" - PS2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyphxphcPYQ
3) Final Fantasy VIII - Intro "Liberi Fatali" - PS1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pZ2ibvZb2Q

Meh... that's prolly not my accurate top 3 :p But the first one is 100% correct. That song is simply amazing

I just those few a listen, some really good stuff.

Scribble said:
LIVE AND LEAAARN!
Hanging on the edge of tomorrow!
LIVE AND LEEAAAARN
From the works of yesterday, HAY!
LIVE AND LEAAARN
If you beg or if you borrow
LIVE AND LEAAARN
You may never find yourn way-hayayayayayaya.

Ohowowowow, oh YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

*guitar solo*

haha RAD! I loved that boss fight song.

But my pick for music that pumps me up the most is Digital Devil Saga's "Hunting-Comrades!"

Jinana is still my favorite boss fight because you share Argilla's feelings about her and you know you don't want to hurt her but you have to.

USD

This.

But seriously, the Halo theme and the MGS theme (every iteration) do it for me. I can't think of definite third, there so much stuff out there.

EDIT: Just thought of a good one. Fillmore from Actraiser.

disco

that track from Rez that sounds like a roland 808 drum machine with all the hand claps when you highlight things. i think its on the egyption level.

Souther

Banned
Ryuji Yamazaki's theme from KOF/RB - C62

Baran Doban's Theme from SRW@3 - Ware Koso Wa.

Silent hill 2 - Angels Thanatos.

SMT:Digital Devil Saga 1 - Spider String the Second Movement and Karma.

REZ - Joujouka - Rock is Sponge.

theres probably more but thats off the top of my head.

Top Bottom