• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

favorite ambient game music

NekoFever

I love the ambient music in Shenmue when you're wandering around the Hazuki dojo. I quite often just hum it to myself when I'm doing nothing in particular.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
A lot of the music in the Thief games was fantastic in this regard.

Also, the atmopsheric tunes in Vampire Bloodlines were often chilling.

I don't recall the name (it's been so long), but the subterranean city in Tales of the Abyss (Tear's home) had absolutely fantastic atmospheric audio.

Hmm, what else?

The Hitman series
Siren 2 (especially the apartment complex)
Ecco the Dolphin CD and Defender of the Future

A lot of others have already been named.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Ico - Castle in the Mist
DKC - Aquatic Ambience
Chrono Trigger - Secret of the Forest
Zelda:OOT - Deku Tree dungeon

many Secret of Evermore tracks

epaturun

Has to be Shadow of the Beast, I can still hear the eerie tracks from playing the Amiga version in particular the first level

Could someone find me a streaming mp3 or a (flash)vid of the tree level music in DKC3? The ones that are usually going upwards instead of horizontaly

I always liked the ambient music in the Genesis Ecco the Dolphin games... even with the screechy buzzy FM sound, they did manage to set quite a tone.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
that dramatic Gears of War combat music is cool

Shadow of the Colossus, when you get on a Colossi

Okami, Kamiki festival

Devil May Cry(1, 3) - Starting mission screen

Donkey Kong Country - Aquatic Ambience
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Stickerbrush Symphony
Donkey Kong Country 2 - Forest Interlude

Donkey Kong Country 3 - Nothing. You suck Eveline!

Datschge

Slavik81 said:
Dave Wise's Diddy's Kong Quest as a whole has a great approach to ambient music: mix nice rhythms and catchy melodies with ambient sounds of the respective stage (sea noise on the boat, flowing water in the submerged storage space, clashing metals in the mine, shrieking apes in the jungle, bursting lava bubbles in the lava cave, ghost voices in the dark forrest etc. etc.) all actually fitting with the music. I'm not aware of any other score which is so consistent about this approach.

Mato

Discworld 2 title screen was really, really great. I liked the whole game just because of that music. Can't find it anywhere on the net.

Somebody put it up. Now.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery

Ikael

bce29a3ed4ed080ac3ec031fc31e5a.jpg

~Kinggi~

Banned
I always enjoyed the ambiance of Ecco Defender of the Future. Beautiful music. Of course, i also always enjoy the Resident Evil Save themes. They are perfectly serene for the moment. There are many many others but those were off the top of my head.

Ocarina of Time - Spirit Temple
Baten Kaitos 2 - Overworld theme, forgot the title/A Boundless Autumn Evening Breeze
Chrono Cross - Snake Bone Room

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
There were so many Amiga games that had fantastic ambience (and music). Leisure Suit Larry 3 and Monkey Island 2 springs to mind.

But also games like Elvira - Mistress of the Dark, Dreamweb, Alien Breed, Lotus 1 - 3.

I advice everyone to check out the two links posted here earlier, the Amiga Game Music Collection, and then you'll hear why the Amiga was so ahead of it's time in both sound and graphics.

tnw

Banned
El Papa said:
Jeez, Earthbound Fo sho, has so much great ambient music.

I always loved the Mario Paint Ethereal music, so relaxing.

yeah I posted this one in the OP. It's such so 'mature' sounding for a game like mario paint. I'm always impressed with it.

And I forgot to put the forest temple in the OP! I used to play the sound through my stereo, turn off the television, and just listen to that music. Love it so much, one of the first things i looked for when I was looking for mp3s of game music.

In that vein, I love FFVII music in the north crater (don't know if I would consider it ambient though)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRWyviLxROs&mode=related&search=

Top Bottom