• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 - SDCC Panel Report - Actual Lancer Special Edition

Mark V said:
Here is GameSpot's write-up of the panel. They had a video person there as well, so hopefully they'll post up a vid of the panel soon:

http://comic-con.gamespot.com/blog.html?topic_id=26510268&tag=blog;title;1
Sweet. They're supposed to be putting something up on LIVE too, although I'm guessing it will just be one of those short highlight packages like they've put up for Watchmen and Terminator Salvation, etc.

EDIT: And the Gamespot report lists the new Carmine's first name -- Benjamin.

If it comes with an impressive lancer then I'll jump.

I want some more multiplayer information though! Something akin to more modes like Horde!

The Nature Roy said:
EDIT: And the Gamespot report lists the new Carmine's first name -- Benjamin.

You're welcome.

(I think it's Cliff's way of thanking me for this:

Gears12.jpg

:D

JimiNutz

Banned
Captain Jebus said:
2706331350_eb433cc680.jpg

This one is made by NECA, and from a few things I overheard, this is what will be bundled with the Amazon 'Cat helmet' edition :p

No fucking way! :eek:
I was gonna buy it anyway because I'm a filthy Gears whore but that looks absolutely stunning! Take that Bungie and your stupid cat helmet! :lol

Shins

Banned
Has anyone else seen the LE mock-up boxes at Gamestop/EB? I notice a few when I was checking out. Glad to see that the case is similar to the Halo 2 collector's edition with a regularly sized tin case, rather than the oversized, cumbersome tin that Gear 1 came in.

Looked very nice!

nib95

Banned
No mention in the OP as to whether this is coming to the UK. I know it's Amazon exclusive, but will Amazon UK be selling it? I don't usually buy these types of Editions, but that lancer is a must!

Kibbles

That looks pretty damn cool for being in the "cat helmet edition" :p Still, not buying into the hype like I did with Halo 3's Legendary Edition. (The bonus features were great, but the cutscenes w/ commentary were supposed to be HD and of all 3 games... it would have been a bit better if it was $100 maybe, like originally announced, but $130 is way too much.)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Kibbles said:

That looks pretty damn cool for being in the "cat helmet edition" :p Still, not buying into the hype like I did with Halo 3's Legendary Edition. (The bonus features were great, but the cutscenes w/ commentary were supposed to be HD and of all 3 games... it would have been a bit better if it was $100 maybe, like originally announced, but $130 is way too much.)

I think that was a mistake - it's $130 by itself on Amazon.com according to a correction from Gearsheadsofwar.com I believe...

Skilotonn said:
I think that was a mistake - it's $130 by itself on Amazon.com according to a correction from Gearsheadsofwar.com I believe...
It looks like it's 139.99 for just the lancer it slelf, but if you also pre-order Gears with it you get Gears free.

Aladuf

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
It looks like it's 139.99 for just the lancer it slelf, but if you also pre-order Gears with it you get Gears free.

Oh shit, it's a good thing you said that because I didn't seperately preorder Gears 2 along with the Lancer so I wouldn't have gotten the free copy of Gears. It's all good now, one order canceled and one new order placed.

Wow, I'll buy that uber edition if the Lancer is impressive.

Also, linked Achievements are bad ass. Seriously, I can't believe it's taken this long for something like this to happen.

Darkman M said:
What is linked achievements??

From the ign article:

Gears 2 will use what's being called Linked Achievements. Players who played Gears 1 and completed Act 1 will be able to play as Carmine in Gears 2's multiplayer. If you killed Raam at the end of Gears 1 his character model will be available as well. There will be more Linked Achievements in Gears 2, but those were the only examples given.

newsguy

How funny is that shit. You don't pre-order the game and get the lancer, you pre-order the lancer and get the game. :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Hellsing321 said:

That's... pretty damn nice - you just have to work backwards to get it as a package deal!

newsguy

cr_blah_blah said:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PNQllzR-L._SS400_.jpg

That's from the Amazon images. Maybe it could be that size?[/QUOTE]

Nevermind. I just pre-ordered this on Amazon. This is by far the nerdiest thing I've ever done, BUT IT'S A GUN WITH A FUCKING CHAINSAW ON IT.

Aladuf

Banned
newsguy said:
Nevermind. I just pre-ordered this on Amazon. This is by far the nerdiest thing I've ever done, BUT IT'S A GUN WITH A FUCKING CHAINSAW ON IT.
Damn straight! It's the first gaming thing that I've paid this much money for but like you said IT'S A GUN WITH A FUCKING CHAINSAW ON IT.

What so this is for US only? I cant find it to preorder on the UK Amazon.

Would be serious kick in the head if its only available in the US.

Costanza

Banned
i fucking paid 130 for the cat helmet

I seriously can't stop myself from buying the gun. It looks FUCKING AWESOME.

order placed

Placed an order.

Hopefully the gun has some actual weight to it. Oh, and fuck the sound, it's so cheesy. I just want a gun that looks kick ass and feels great if someone picks it up. For the price though, I'm probably only going to be getting a gun which looks good, but doesn't feel great due to cheap materials... Oh well.

pj

Banned
If it's anything like halo 3 cat helmet edition, it will be cheaper than the standalone game in 2 months.

Ultra nerds who are interested in this should just wait, or better yet, not buy it at all

Costanza said:
i fucking paid 130 for the cat helmet

I seriously can't stop myself from buying the gun. It looks FUCKING AWESOME.

order placed

I'm having a debate with myself.

Have I learned my lesson by buying that stupid piece of shit cat helmet? -or- Am I still amazed by plastic toys that look like shit from the game?

I still haven't found out the answer.

Ok, I have. I can't go through with this. The game is enough for me.

Linkzg said:
I'm having a debate with myself.

Have I learned my lesson by buying that stupid piece of shit cat helmet? -or- Am I still amazed by plastic toys that look like shit from the game?

I still haven't found out the answer.

Ok, I have. I can't go through with this. The game is enough for me.

Give in to the badass! :D

It's probably best to wait... I can always cancel it later

GhaleonEB

Shins said:
Has anyone else seen the LE mock-up boxes at Gamestop/EB? I notice a few when I was checking out. Glad to see that the case is similar to the Halo 2 collector's edition with a regularly sized tin case, rather than the oversized, cumbersome tin that Gear 1 came in.

Looked very nice!
Yeah, I saw it today when I pre-ordered (was there for the Fable II freebe and tossed that in as wel). Steelbooks are dead sexy, all LE's should use them. It was the best thing about Lost Planet!

The Amazon deal is kind of amusing. $140 for the gun, and oh by the way, for $10 more you get the LE version of the game.

Costanza

Banned
Gbeav said:
It's going to be a hollow piece of plastic people....
but it makes sounds and shit omg

I know it's totally useless, but like the guy above said "IT'S A GUN WITH A FUCKING CHAINSAW ON IT"

Baker

Banned
cr_blah_blah said:
According to gearheadsofwar.com report from Comic-Con:
"There will be an electronic 1:1 scale Lancer rifle with sound! The price hasn't been finalized at this time, but it's expected to be ready by Fall 2008 exclusively through Amazon.com."

I'm not familiar with the site so don't know if they're reliable or heard correctly but an full-size electronic lancer with sound does sound pretty badass. Ridiculous but badasser.

From the Amazon description:

* Trigger Activates Motorized "Chainsaw" Sound and Vibration Feature
* Side Handle Folds In & Out and Slides Back & Forth
* Removable Clip
* Created from the actual 3D data used in the Gears of War 2 videogame