• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Psycho... Uh, wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have'nt seen it since it was in theaters but it was confusing as hell at the end for me?

can someone tell me
was it all just in his head and he didn't really kill anybody?

Zeliard

Flo said:
I saw it last night and it creeped me out! Nothing funny about it.

33eoahj.gif

Guzim

super-heated plasma said:
I have'nt seen it since it was in theaters but it was confusing as hell at the end for me?

can someone tell me
It's all up to you. Personally I think that he did do the murders.

Jasup

American Psycho:

The book made me to listen Genesis for two weeks

The movie made me to go to sleep afterwards

Zeliard

super-heated plasma said:

can someone tell me

It's open for interpretation. I think the satire is considerably more effective if
he did, in fact, kill all those people. It would mean that everybody is far too self-absorbed to notice or to even care if they did notice their colleagues being killed or being a killer. Bateman's own lawyer mistakes him for someone else, and that's to help reinforce the notion that they're all interchangeable yuppies.

SUPREME1

Banned
I bought both American Psycho and There Will Be Blood on DVD about 2 or 3 weeks ago....

I have yet to see either.

I know, I know.

Guzim

Jenga said:
I loved American Psycho but never read "Rules of Attraction". Worth a read?
All of Bret Easton Ellis' novels are worth a read. The Rules of Attraction also has a cameo by Patrick Bateman.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Such a disturbing, yet great movie.

It was the first time I ever saw Bale in a movie and I was extremely surprised to discover that he was from the U.K.

Spayro

OnkelC said:
definitely.
Rules Of Attraction doesn't have the same long-ass descriptions of unimportant shit like American Psycho had, right?
God, that was annoying :lol amazing read though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
suzu said:
Great movie, although the book made me go D:

I found a website that hosted the entire book online... I tried to read it, but it was far too disturbing.

Spayro said:
Rules Of Attraction doesn't have the same long-ass descriptions of unimportant shit like American Psycho had, right?
God, that was annoying :lol amazing read though.

I found that all really compelling. Especially because Bateman doesn't usually know what he's talking about. It's amazing how much better than book is than the movie because the movie is real good.

I haven't read Lunar Park or The Informers, but Glamorama is really great too, and has shit that is more disturbing than anything in American Pyscho.

White Man

VistraNorrez said:
I found that all really compelling. Especially because Bateman doesn't usually know what he's talking about. It's amazing how much better than book is than the movie because the movie is real good.

Yeah, Ellis has mentioned that he tried to make all the descriptions of combinations of clothing as fashionably wrong as possible, which I thought was pretty neat. Bateman doesn't know what he's talking about in the book.

Rules of Attraction is my favorite by him. Less Than Zero is really fucking impressive, though, considering how young he was when he wrote it.

Zeliard said:
It's open for interpretation. I think the satire is considerably more effective if
he did, in fact, kill all those people. It would mean that everybody is far too self-absorbed to notice or to even care if they did notice their colleagues being killed or being a killer. Bateman's own lawyer mistakes him for someone else, and that's to help reinforce the notion that they're all interchangeable yuppies.

As far as I'm aware it's not open for interpretation,
they did happen. As you say everyone else was just too up themeselves to care. The appartment seller never made a fuss about the bodies because she wanted to sell Allen's appartment as quickly as possible and get her money. If she'd done anything about it no-one would buy it, it would lose value, take ages to sell and cause many headaches for her.

Same for the lawyer. Didn't want to have to try and defend bateman, so creates a story for him and passes it of as bateman joking.

Nobody notices anything other than there own shit, and if they do, choose to ignore it. If a hooker banged your door because a maniac was chasing her with a chainsaw, would you open the door?

Obviously this wouldn't happen in real life, I hate when people say. ' That wouldn't happen in real life'. It's not meant to be real life, it's a satire.

szhred

I great movies indeed.

But its one thing I dont understand.

--------spoiler-------

In the the end when he kills the last guy, and "put" him on a flight to London (Not sure were?).
Did he kill him or not?
Because when he confess all his murders to his lawyer and that he murdered that "last guy".

The lawyer says he had spoken to him in London. Like he his still alive. What happened to him?

--------spoiler-------

I love this post from IMDB

For the people who say the movie was all in Patrick's head. This movie is about you. You are that bartender who stands there and listens to a man say "You're a f#cking ugly bitch. I want to stab you to death, and play around with your blood." and ignores him. You can sit at a resteraunt table with a man who says "I like to dissect girls. Did you know I'm utterly insane?" and then reply about a tanning bed. You are that guy at the front desk at Pat's apartment building who looks at a man drag a bag the size of a body (which happens to be leaving a bloody trail behind him), and shrugs it off. You are that model who hears a man say "I'm into murders and executions mainly." And guess to yourself he must have said mergers and acquisitions, because nobody would just come out and admit they're in to murders and executions. You are that person sitting inside your apartment who hears a girl screaming, beating on doors for help, and a buzzing chainsaw outside, yet doesn't open your door or call anyone for help. You are that person who can sit in front of a man drawing a girl lying on her stomach with a chainsaw in her back with crayons and say things like "My need to engage in homicidal behavior on a massive scale cannot be corrected, but I have no other way to fullfill my needs." and then want to marry the man. You can have a man confess to 40 or so murders (that he even has video tapes of), and think it's a joke or all in his head (wow..that lawyer at the end is hilarious....that's really you!!)

The fact that there are people who dismiss the murders in this film is glorious. You are the people that surround Bateman. You make this movie...so much more....real. Thank you.

szhred said:
I great movies indeed.

But its one thing I dont understand.

--------spoiler-------

In the the end when he kills the last guy, and "put" him on a flight to London (Not sure were?).
Did he kill him or not?
Because when he confess all his murders to his lawyer and that he murdered that "last guy".

The lawyer says he had spoken to him in London. Like he his still alive. What happened to him?

--------spoiler-------

Yes, he killed those people. None of the themes work unless he killed those people.

The story is a criticism of yuppie culture. Yuppies have a lot of things, but one thing they don't have is individuality. Patrick is able to get away with his crimes (but unable, in the end, to get "credit" for them) because neither he nor any of his victims have any identity. He kills nameless hookers and homeless men, but this is not satisfying and soon feels the need to move onto something that might get him caught... or so he thought. Soon we learn that the concept of an alibi is meaningless when none of Paul Allen's friends and associates can even tell him apart from others like him. The characters constantly call each other by the wrong names; no one knows who anyone is and no one cares. This is the real condemnation of the yuppie culture: no one in it has any meaningful human relationship with anyone else, and no one is truly loved or cared about, and no one sticks out from the crowd even when they want to.

The lawyer did not have lunch with Paul Allen in London. He only thinks he did. He had lunch with some other guy in a suit he thought was Paul Allen. He doesn't know Bateman's face, and he doesn't know Allen's face. And even when people suspect a crime took place (the real estate lady at Allen's apartment, Bateman's lawyer), they ignore it and sweep it under a rug. They don't care about anyone else enough to get involved in a murder investigation. When the real estate lady saw corpses piled up in one of her properties, all she was was lowered property value. When the lawyer heard his client's grisly confession, all he heard was a client who hadn't been caught running his mouth unnecessarily. That's why he excused himself.

Not that either of them care at all about Paul Allen or Patrick Bateman, or even know who they are. As Patrick puts it himself: "I'm simply not there."

I think some of the murders may have been real...but they get continually more and more ridiculous as time goes on. The car just exploding from a couple of gunshots? Throwing a chainsaw down a few floors and having it impale the hooker? I think a good bit of it was in his head.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Zoe said:
Man, I wanna see this movie again so badly (all cause of TDK). I haven't seen it since it was in the theater.
I got it on Blu-ray for free with my PS3.

*puts on Huey Lewis*

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Love the movie, but have never been too crazy about Bale's performance. Something about his mannerisms seem very "Jim Carrey-ish" to me, and it's kind of annoying.

The book is even better, and absolutely brutal. The type of of stuff that, if you're reading it on the train and someone sneaks a peak, will definitely get you some crooked looks, ha. Oddly enough, it's the only Easton Ellis book I can even remotely tolerate.

olore

As Onkel C said, the movie just barely scrapes on the surface of the book. The film isn`t that good either. As someone else said, Bales character seems too un-hard if that is a word, too soft in a way. If you have read the book or portions of it you know that the Bateman in the novel is diamondhard, brutal. Bale on screen is "Jim Carrey-ish".
Oh, and if you really are gonna read the book, be warned. It is disgusting in places.

master15

olore said:
The movie just barely scrapes on the surface of the book. The film isn`t that good either. As someone else said, Bales character seems too un-hard if that is a word, too soft in a way. If you have read the book or portions of it you know that the Bateman in the novel is diamondhard, brutal.

Disagree, the Charlie Rose interview with Mary Herron really confirms her intention of playing up the absurdity and really focusing on the satirical element of the novel. I mean it goes without saying the brutal aspects of Bateman's character in the novel you mentioned are pretty much unfilmable (Hell they had enough problems with the ratings board with the threesome alone). However at its core that's what really the book is about and I think the film smartly distils all of those core elements.

Bret Easton Ellis was at that roundtable and as I understand was very happy with the film, although he did wrote his own script from memory, which I believe ends with a musical number. I would have love to have seen that at some point :lol

olore said:
As Onkel C said, the movie just barely scrapes on the surface of the book. The film isn`t that good either. As someone else said, Bales character seems too un-hard if that is a word, too soft in a way. If you have read the book or portions of it you know that the Bateman in the novel is diamondhard, brutal. Bale on screen is "Jim Carrey-ish".
Oh, and if you really are gonna read the book, be warned. It is disgusting in places.

The worst decision I have ever made in my life to date was to read American Psycho while on a trip to Disney World.

I recoiled in terror every time Mickey was around after reading the "rat" scene in the book.
:(

TheGrayGhost said:
Watching it in parts on YouTube. Why is it so funny?

Bateman's looking at a business card and observes it has a watermark and immediately becomes depressed and, probably, jealous.

"Oh my God, it has a watermark!"

Such a weird, funny movie.
Um, why don't you go rent the damn movie. It's brilliant.

Why does every one of those business cards say Vice President as the job title? How many vice presidents are there in that company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom