• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic Clash of Heroes (puzzle RPG) announced for NDS

Ravidrath

Mashing said:
NWC were fucking awesome. This is probably going to be shit.

I think the Capybara guys know their stuff - just because it's not by NWC doesn't mean this will suck

Does it fit the "license?" Probably not.

Does that automatically make it a bad game? Probably not.

Ravidrath said:
I think the Capybara guys know their stuff - just because it's not by NWC doesn't mean this will suck

Does it fit the "license?" Probably not.

Does that automatically make it a bad game? Probably not.
Thanks for the compliment dude.

I know some people will write this game off without giving it a chance because "it isnt might and magic" or "its a puzzle quest clone".

All i can say is: give us a chance. we're an indie studio that busted our ass to make something fun and different. it isnt puzzle quest. the puzzle/strategy system is quite original. and for all the might and magic fans... we respect the hell out of the brand, which is why we worked so hard on it.

lsslave said:
Edit: And to end this terrible derail, once again this game looks fan-fucking-tastic. So does Critter Crunch

I must honestly say I am quite impressed with the art direction Capy has, they are fucking astoundingly good at use of colour.

You guys should keep your art director because he/she is very VERY talented.
Thanks dude - though the credit goes 100% to the artists/animators here - they are damn talented. If you like the art, all i can say is: it gets better.

Being that the number of people who played the real old school M&M games (1-6ish) is really small then I guess "made for M&M fans" means the Heroes of Might and Magic games. But it would be nice if they could get Jon Van Caneghem involved and do a legit old school style M&M game, like a remake of the first one.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Cromulent_Word said:
Thanks for the compliment dude.

I know some people will write this game off without giving it a chance because "it isnt might and magic" or "its a puzzle quest clone".

All i can say is: give us a chance. we're an indie studio that busted our ass to make something fun and different. it isnt puzzle quest. the puzzle/strategy system is quite original. and for all the might and magic fans... we respect the hell out of the brand, which is why we worked so hard on it.

Thanks dude - though the credit goes 100% to the artists/animators here - they are damn talented. If you like the art, all i can say is: it gets better.

Good to hear it gets even better!

In that aspect though, now I am interested to see what comes from Capy in the future. As your company grows I hope it doesn't lose its colourful nature. Stylistically you are very different from the curve.

In a generation where no one has figured out how to unlock colour palettes past brown (its a joke people not a troll :p ) leave it to a Canadian to discover "HOLY SHIT... IS THAT... BLUE?" :lol

Cromulent_Word said:
Hey guys

while the first assumption is PUZZLE QUEST RIP

the puzzle system is actually something totally different...

Capy worked their asses off on this one, hope you guys'll give it a shot.

I might well give this a shot despite still not having tasted the Puzzle Quest games in general. One or more good videos/trailers would probably help me wrap my mind around it though.

That said, what's the replay value like? Any random dungeons and such?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have to ask what the point is in using the Might & Magic name? It is mostly a PC brand and was in its prime many years ago. They obviously aren't selling it to the original fans with these animu art style, and it's not like people who like this game will probably be super interested in the PC games. It just looks so different that I don't understand the reasoning behind putting the Might & Magic name on it.

With that said, it does look kind of neat.

Hobbun said:
They could if JVC helmed the project. Like I said, they need to contract him out.

He's probably long retired from anything game related. I doubt he'd be interested and even if he was I doubt he'd make a decent game. Richard Garriott came out with that crappy Tabula Rasa game a few years ago. I doubt JVC would do anything better.

Hobbun

Synth_floyd said:
He's probably long retired from anything game related. I doubt he'd be interested and even if he was I doubt he'd make a decent game. Richard Garriott came out with that crappy Tabula Rasa game a few years ago. I doubt JVC would do anything better.

Actually, he is still very much involved with gaming. He started up a game development company a few years back (Trion World Network, I believe).

I think he would be very capable of doing another M&M. The only question would be if he would want to.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Sounds promising, and though the IP usage may seem a little... unnecessary, I suppose it beats devising a whole new generic fantasy world complete with pseudo-familiar trappings.

Cautiously optimistic.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Hobbun said:
Actually, he is still very much involved with gaming. He started up a game development company a few years back (Trion World Network, I believe).

But he either left or was fired a month or so ago. Lord only knows what he's doing now.

CTLance

Huh. I totally missed this thread the first time around.

First impression leaves me going "huh". Dunno if that's a good or bad thing, need to digest this for a bit longer. The Anime artstyle is something I wouldn't have expected from the franchise, but whatever. Puzzler means I have to at least give it a chance.

Oh, and also: Yuck. "New audiences". Whenever that phrase shows up in PR, I'm having 'nam flashbacks.

Mejilan said:
Sounds promising, and though the IP usage may seem a little... unnecessary, I suppose it beats devising a whole new generic fantasy world complete with pseudo-familiar trappings.

Cautiously optimistic.

But they DID devise a whole new generic fantasy world complete with pseudo-familiar trappings. This has no relation to any other M&M game in the series.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Synth_floyd said:
But they DID devise a whole new generic fantasy world complete with pseudo-familiar trappings. This has no relation to any other M&M game in the series.

Uh... actually, you're wrong about that.

IGN Preview said:
Even though the gameplay is different for a Might & Magic game, the story is rooted in a world that will be familiar to fans.

"It is a prequel [to] the acclaimed Heroes series & the Dark Messiah," says Erwan Le Breton, Producer on the Might & Magic Teams, Ubisoft. " The plot is set in Ashan, 40 years before. You will rediscover your favorite heroes, like Godric and Markal, when they were young and eager to embark onto their very fist adventures.

"…we wanted to have a game full of factions and creatures, with magic and fantasy themes that the Might & Magic games are well known for."

It's not classic M&M, but it has some tenuous ties to more recent M&M games. Despite the dramatic art style / gameplay changes.

Phthisis

Just wanted to mention (now that the search feature is back) that Ubisoft had this game tucked away in a corner at their booth at E3. I played it a couple times; it's really awesome. I don't even know how to describe it other than a strategy combat game meets a puzzler.

If this was made by Sting and didn't have the Might & Magic name attached to it, everyone would be shitting bricks.

Anyway, there's a lot of depth here, between the unlockable units and equipable artifacts and the like. Unfortunately, the game will probably be overlooked, but it's very very good.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Hmm... well at least it doesn't look like the developer is the typical shovelware studio western third parties have make their DS games, I think I'll keep an eye on this.

Phthisis said:
If this was made by Sting and didn't have the Might & Magic name attached to it, everyone would be shitting bricks.
Did you just insult Sting?

Lord Phol

Aw, this just makes me think of how awesome it would be to have a portable heroes of might and magic :(. Make that instead!

Ravidrath

I played this at E3, and thought it showed a lot of promise.

It's really nothing like Puzzle Quest at all - while battle is done through puzzles, the puzzle is the battle itself, not some abstract representation of energy allocation.

Basically, it's sort of like a Magic: The Gathering / Magical Drop hybrid...

General Overview
- Units "fall" towards the battle line in the center

- If enemies get through your units, they do damage to your commanding character​

Battle Mechanics
- You get three turns per round - you can shuffle units, or summon additional ones if your forces are running low

- Lining up units horizontally turn them into defensive barriers, which block or oblate incoming attacks

- Lining up units vertically prepares them to attack - they'll "charge" for a displayed number of rounds before they attack, and then charge through the opposing forces if they're more powerful than the enemies opposite them

- Each faction has different units that obey different stacking rules - there are light, medium and heavy units, and they can combine with units of the same size and color. Some combine into one powerful unit when stacked, others form little charging battalions, and others are ranged. This is where the real depth of the game lies

- There are hero powers that become available on occasion to turn the tide of battle​

- I believe the very-french AP showing it to me said there are four different factions, each with their own unit types and heroes

I'll definitely be picking this up.

Quasar

How sad how far the Might & Magic brand has fallen. Still have fond memories of those games from my Amiga days.

Jefklak

Lol, might & magic "art"
Fuck that anime look, jeez

Except that, it looks and sounds great. Too bad for the (char) art though.
I really hate that on DS, even western games NEED to look like japanese ones?

Where exactly is the might & magic in those pics... Could be a great game but man... If they call it might&magic then it should look like it...

Phthisis said:
Anyway, there's a lot of depth here, between the unlockable units and equipable artifacts and the like. Unfortunately, the game will probably be overlooked, but it's very very good.
Thanks for playing it! Our booth position was sorta shitty but it was great just to be there and showing it to people.

just to toot my own horn....

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/feature.asp?c=13706

Nice to see people giving our game a shot... only 2 slots lower then scribblenauts :)

CTLance

I'd really like to see a video of this in action. I mean, I can wrap my head around the gameplay mechanic (I think), but seeing it in action would be far better.

Phthisis

Cromulent_Word said:
Thanks for playing it! Our booth position was sorta shitty but it was great just to be there and showing it to people.

I walked by a couple times and even the booth babes were getting into it.

Phthisis said:
I walked by a couple times and even the booth babes were getting into it.
They were indeed... It made E3 just that much more enjoyable. Overall, the response from people who played it was overwhelmingly positive.

And hell,. Pocketgamer liked it enough to list it in the top 10 best handheld games shown at the conference, which was great. I am really proud of this game, and i really hope people give it a shot.

Hobbun

Ravidrath said:
You get three turns per round - you can shuffle units, or summon additional ones if your forces are running low

Ok, so you only get three characters? Or you aren't able to use all your characters each round?

Hobbun said:
Ok, so you only get three characters? Or you aren't able to use all your characters each round?
You play as one of 5 heroes, and can equip 5 units max (3 core units, and any 2 elite and champion units). Each round you are allowed to make 3 moves, but you can gain bonus moves via chains.

Hobbun

Cromulent_Word said:
You play as one of 5 heroes, and can equip 5 units max (3 core units, and any 2 elite and champion units). Each round you are allowed to make 3 moves, but you can gain bonus moves via chains.

Oh, ok. I understand. Thank you for clarifying.

GDJustin said:
Capybara games made a cell phone game several years ago called Monkey on Your Back that I really loved:

http://www.modojo.com/reviews/mobile/monkey_on_your_back/20060419/294/
http://www.modojo.com/games/mobile/monkey_on_your_back/media/

Ever since then I've kept an eye on the studio. Looks like they're moving up in the world.
Thanks Justin... we love MOYB too :) I wish our pub hadn't pooched it so more people could have seen it.

Hobbun said:
Oh, ok. I understand. Thank you for clarifying.
I am around GAF all the time, so anymore questions, just ask :)

Top Bottom