• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Retail sales achieve 1 million sales in 3 weeks worldwide

DenogginizerOS said:
The price, the presence of of games like MW2, Madden, FIFA, Tekken 6, and Assassin's Creed as multiplatform titles, the Blu ray deluge that is coming to stores, and the perks of free online all make the PS3 well positioned to sell this holiday. 1 million units sold in 3-4 weeks before the holiday rush begins with games like Uncharted 2, Ratchet, and Demon's Souls padding the exclusives is quite impressive.

Well now, I don't expect Ratchet to have any sort of effect on PS3 appeal. Honestly, I expect KZ2 to get a bigger bump this fall than Ratchet. I like Ratchet plenty, but it just doesn't have sales power. Unless of course a ton of new buyers are also parents.

Uncharted 2 will be interesting. It's got everything you'd expect from a blockbuster title, so I'm curious to see if the price drop will allow it to see success where the first game failed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DeaconKnowledge said:
3x shit worldwide sales is unimpressive. Yes. Especially considering this bump has nowhere to go but down as it isn't buttressed by system moving software.

I dunno what you expect from price cuts or the like, but we could easily point to previous price cuts and price cuts elsewhere that had nowhere near the same impact as this. E.g. sales going up maybe 40% and then dropping back down the next week. An average 3x or 4x increase over 3-4 weeks is a lot more than you normally get out of a pricecut.

1m in 3 weeks in absolute terms, forgetting about the relative increase..I think it's difficult to consider that unimpressive. If that's true, the NA numbers are likely to track quite a bit higher than most have been expecting for Sept (i.e. that 400k+ suggestion made a while back by Pachter, I think, may not look so strange anymore), unless Europe is punching well above its weight. That kind of performance in September would be quite amazing given where PS3 was just a couple of months ago.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
AltogetherAndrews said:
Well now, I don't expect Ratchet to have any sort of effect on PS3 appeal. Honestly, I expect KZ2 to get a bigger bump this fall than Ratchet. I like Ratchet plenty, but it just doesn't have sales power. Unless of course a ton of new buyers are also parents.

Uncharted 2 will be interesting. It's got everything you'd expect from a blockbuster title, so I'm curious to see if the price drop will allow it to see success where the first game failed.
Ratchet is the game you can buy that will appeal to the kids while Mom and Dad and older family members are not playing Uncharted 2 or MW2 or watching True Blood on Blu ray. My point is that the PS3 is positioned this Fall/Winter to be the ultimate family entertainment gift because it pretty much has something for everyone in one very neat, little box.

For those saying that 1 million in 3-4 weeks is unimpressive, what would you say is impressive? How does one gauge impressiveness when it comes to sales other than comparing to the competition and previous month/year sales?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Decent, but given the Japanese sales we know about I'm not exactly overwhelmed. Slim has probably done a bit over 250K on its own so 750K for the rest of the world isn't that impressive.

Still, a solid start.

gofreak said:
I dunno what you expect from price cuts or the like, but we could easily point to previous price cuts and price cuts elsewhere that had nowhere near the same impact as this. E.g. sales going up maybe 40% and then dropping back down the next week. An average 3x or 4x increase over 3-4 weeks is a lot more than you normally get out of a pricecut.

1m in 3 weeks in absolute terms, forgetting about the relative increase..I think it's difficult to consider that unimpressive. If that's true, the NA numbers are likely to track quite a bit higher than most have been expecting for Sept (i.e. that 400k+ suggestion made a while back by Pachter, I think, may not look so strange anymore), unless Europe is punching well above its weight. That kind of performance in September would be quite amazing given where PS3 was just a couple of months ago.

I think it's unimpressive as to what it's supposed to gain. 1 million units worldwide in and of itself is a nice number when considering one month of sales and NPD vs. the 360 and Wii for the month, however long term it's nothing to crow about, which is really what Sony needs right now. Let's face it, lopping 100 dollars off the price should net results like this; i'd be shocked if we didn't see it. As far as a resurgence of the console stands though, i'm not at all impressed.

We're already starting to see diminishing returns in Japan and have anecdotal reports of the same in parts of Europe. Without killer app software to push this thing along, slimbump will be just like any regular old bump for a trailing console; good returns within a 1-3 month span, then back to the status quo.

DenogginizerOS

DeaconKnowledge said:
I think it's unimpressive as to what it's supposed to gain. 1 million units worldwide in and of itself is a nice number when considering one month of sales and NPD vs. the 360 and Wii for the month, however long term it's nothing to crow about, which is really what Sony needs right now. Let's face it, lopping 100 dollars off the price should net results like this; i'd be shocked if we didn't see it. As far as a resurgence of the console stands though, i'm not at all impressed.

We're already starting to see diminishing returns in Japan and have anecdotal reports of the same in parts of Europe. Without killer app software to push this thing along, slimbump will be just like any regular old bump for a trailing console; good returns within a 1-3 month span, then back to the status quo.
You don't think that the presence of Modern Warfare 2, FIFA, Madden, and many other titles will not benefit the PS3? I feel that there are still a lot of people out there who made up their mind to wait until the prices came down before jumping in to a new console and I think of the three available, the PS3 is the most complete package for the price.

Parl

Woodsy said:
Upping sales 3X is unimpressive? God damn I would hate to be married to you.
I don't think anybody is saying it's bad. It's a good increase, but the actual absolute sales are lower than what Wii used to do, and what DS currently does, without price drops, in regular 3 week periods. That makes the sales unimpressive because it's been done before, many, many times, and reaching lower than DS sales after a big price drop is not impressive - it'd be impressive if the sales sustained, though just like the coming Wii price drop, the bump won't be sustained.

A temporary bump is only impressive if the sales it pushes are very high. If it posts 700k NPD, that would be impressive. Above 400k would be "impressive for the PS3", rather than simply just impressive for a system in general. If it did that without a price drop, I'd be impressed, just like how everybody still finds DS sales impressive.

So it'd only be impressive because of the low sales standards of the PS3, or it would be impressive if the bump sustained, which it's sane to expect it won't.

Woodsy

Banned
Parl said:
I don't think anybody is saying it's bad. It's a good increase, but the actual absolute sales are lower than what Wii used to do, and what DS currently does, without price drops, in regular 3 week periods. That makes the sales unimpressive because it's been done before, many, many times, and reaching lower than DS sales after a big price drop is not impressive - it'd be impressive if the sales sustained, though just like the coming Wii price drop, the bump won't be sustained.

A temporary bump is only impressive if the sales it pushes are very high. If it posts 700k NPD, that would be impressive. Above 400k would be "impressive for the PS3", rather than simply just impressive for a system in general. If it did that without a price drop, I'd be impressed, just like how everybody still finds DS sales impressive.

So it'd only be impressive because of the low sales standards of the PS3, or it would be impressive if the bump sustained, which it's sane to expect it won't.

So unless it sells as well as a $129 handheld or better than the Wii - which has sold faster than ANY home console EVER to date, it's a failure? :lol

You guys amaze me.

1 million slim sales in 3 weeks, people who are saying that is not impressive are blatant trolls. Also PS3 total sales are likely a little higher then that due to clearing of the fat stock. So 1 million PS3's sold minimum.

Rachet and Clank has essentially no buzz this time around, but its still a good game for kids. It demonstrates that Sony knows how to cover the demographics better than Nintendo (who doesn't have much to offer the mature gamer this holiday) or MS (who doesn't have much to offer to young kids this holiday). R&C is also big in Japan for some reason.

DenogginizerOS said:
You don't think that the presence of Modern Warfare 2, FIFA, Madden, and many other titles will not benefit the PS3? I feel that there are still a lot of people out there who made up their mind to wait until the prices came down before jumping in to a new console and I think of the three available, the PS3 is the most complete package for the price.

The XBOX 360, which has every title you mentioned, is still cheaper. So no.

I agree with you that there are people that have decided to wait until x price point to jump in, however I doubt the amount of people that have decided this will make that much of an impact monthly. There's a reason why these drops aren't usually sustained monthly; a tide of people who waited buy it, then it's back to same ol'. Also, I would wager that the amount of people that want a console that's also capable of playing True Blood in 1080P HDis even less.

schuelma

micromagic said:
1 million slim sales in 3 weeks, people who are saying that is not impressive are blatant trolls. .

Really?

Woodsy

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:

I agree with you that there are people that have decided to wait until x price point to jump in, however I doubt the amount of people that have decided this will make that much of an impact monthly. There's a reason why these drops aren't usually sustained monthly; a tide of people who waited buy it, then it's back to same ol'. Also, I would wager that the amount of people that want a console that's also capable of playing True Blood in 1080P HDis even less.

Well at least we know where you're coming from now.

schuelma

Woodsy said:
Well at least we know where you're coming from now.

Yes, he's coming from the Magical World of Logic and Reality.

DeaconKnowledge said:

So Sony releases a short-term sales figure and you argue that its not impressive in the long term? Thats profound, dude.

schuelma

TheRagnCajun said:
So Sony releases a short-term sales figure and you argue that its not impressive in the long term? Thats profound, dude.

I think his point is that this number isn't high enough in his estimation to lead to the conclusion that there will be a long term significant bump.

JudgeN

People who have never liked the PS3/Sony, think PS3 sales increase is irrelevant NEWS AT 11!

Anyone who thought a $300 PS3 was going to magically save them from 3rd place is out of their mind. All Sony is trying to do is increase there sales enough that the combination of HD console sold is equal too or close to that of the Wii so 3rd parties will continue to see them as a usable option for their games. Adding 1 million PS3 to the userbase in 3 weeks is a nice sign for 3rd parties.

schuelma

micromagic said:
And what would have been impressive to you? Have you not seen PS3 sales this year?

I think they were relatively impressive, but given what we know about sales in the smallest region, I think that a higher number was possible if there was truly a massive group of people holding out for the price drop.

To further answer your question, I'm not that interested in comparing these sales to the previous PS3 performance- I'm interested in comparing them to Sony's expectations of selling 13 million units this fiscal year which would require an amazing, sustained turnaround which I don't think these initial numbers support.

Dunlop

JudgeN said:
People who have never liked the PS3/Sony, think PS3 sales increase is irrelevant NEWS AT 11!

Anyone who thought a $300 PS3 was going to magically save them from 3rd place is out of their mind. All Sony is trying to do is increase there sales enough that the combination of HD console sold is equal too or close to that of the Wii so 3rd parties will continue to see them as a usable option for their games. Adding 1 million PS3 to the userbase in 3 weeks is a nice sign for 3rd parties.

ding ding ding!

I don't get at all what there is to bitch about.

Woodsy

Banned
schuelma said:
Yes, he's coming from the Magical World of Logic and Reality.

I was thinking Xbotlandia - and it's a ridiculous comparison because even the $399 PS3 probably outsold the $199 360 Arcade - but we don't get that breakdown of Arcade v. Pro/Elite.

DenogginizerOS

DeaconKnowledge said:
Cheaper if you buy the minimalistic X360 that is devoid of a hard drive (which upon further review of the shelves by any customer would reveal that the HDD alone is ridiculously priced), devoid of HD movie playback, devoid of the ability to play online for free, devoid of wireless internet connectivity (again, see ridiculously priced accessories on shelf) and devoid of the ability to take advantage of most Xbox Live Arcade games out of the box. If a consumer is using logic, they will conclude that the PS3 is by far the best value and when you juxtapose the ability to play arguably the biggest sales driver this fall, MW2, next to the Slim, I think people are going to bite on a bigger scale. And again, I distinctly remember people dismissing the ability to play DVDs on a PS2 as being a gimmick since most were content with VHS. With HD sets becoming more and more price friendly, the ability to play DVDs and Blu rays is quite appealing.

Dunlop

DenogginizerOS said:
Cheaper if you buy the minimalistic X360 that is devoid of a hard drive (which upon further review of the shelves by any customer would reveal that the HDD alone is ridiculously priced), devoid of HD movie playback, devoid of the ability to play online for free, devoid of wireless internet connectivity (again, see ridiculously priced accessories on shelf) and devoid of the ability to take advantage of most Xbox Live Arcade games out of the box. If a consumer is using logic, they will conclude that the PS3 is by far the best value and when you juxtapose the ability to play arguably the biggest sales driver this fall, MW2, next to the Slim, I think people are going to bite on a bigger scale. And again, I distinctly remember people dismissing the ability to play DVDs on a PS2 as being a gimmick since most were content with VHS. With HD sets becoming more and more price friendly, the ability to play DVDs and Blu rays is quite appealing.

FFS why are people bringing the 360 into this thread and regurgitating the same value shit?

This thread has jack shit to do with the 360 or Wii

schuelma said:
I think they were relatively impressive, but given what we know about sales in the smallest region, I think that a higher number was possible if there was truly a massive group of people holding out for the price drop.

To further answer your question, I'm not that interested in comparing these sales to the previous PS3 performance- I'm interested in comparing them to Sony's expectations of selling 13 million units this fiscal year which would require an amazing, sustained turnaround which I don't think these initial numbers support.
Given what we know about sales in the smallest region? Yeah say it was 250k in Japan, that's still only a quarter. I think your being overly pessimistic and it's too early to see what the trend is, for good or bad, all we can comment on is 3 weeks of slim sales compared with previous fat sales. Simple as that. Come back and be negative in a couple of months if sales have taken a complete nose dive.

DenogginizerOS

Dunlop said:
FFS why are people bringing the 360 into this thread and regurgitating the same value shit?

This thread has jack shit to do with the 360 or Wii
What are we using to gauge "impressive"? PS3 sales alone, or PS3 sales compared to its competition? The "value shit" you speak of is relevent to the sustainability of sales increases because it directly goes toward the argument that the PS3 Slim and pricepoint are now much more competitive towards the X360 and Wii, which last I checked, are in no better position as far as exclusive titles this holiday than the PS3. I am arguing that the value argument is the most relevent argument this fall/winter and thus, the PS3 has a fighting chance of at least sustaining increased sales over the coming months, perhaps above expectations.

Raist

Banned
laserbeam said:
Well in US the Slim actually went on sale in stores on the 25th of August a Week before the 1st. So either they are not counting slim sales or they are merging a 4th week into 3 to look better

So in other words, you don't know.

thuway

DeaconKnowledge said:

I hear Hannity speaking in my head when I read your posts.

That's pretty dang good, and the holiday season is upon us so the PS3 can potentially capitalize on it even further. It's the best chance it's got to sustain any level of sales from this.

test_account

XP-39C²
Regarding if the sales are impressive or not, even with the recent $100 price cut, the PS3 is still the most expencive console on the market (i know that the Xbox 360 Elite also costs $299 in the US, which is the same price as what a PS3 costs, but there is possible to buy a Xbox 360 Arcade SKU for less money at least). The PS3 also have good competition from both the Wii and the Xbox 360, both when it comes to the price points and to the games that are available (it is not like that every game that everyone wants only excist for the PS3 if you know what i mean?). Being a 3rd place system (worldwide) and the most expencive console out there right now, being able to boost the sales with 3x, is there any reasons why this isnt impressive? Personally that it is impressive sales at least :) I wonder how the PS3 sales will be in the upcoming weeks, months and years.

DeaconKnowledge said:
3x shit worldwide sales is unimpressive. Yes. Especially considering this bump has nowhere to go but down as it isn't buttressed by system moving software.
Seeing that the holiday season coming up relatively soon, isnt there a chance that the PS3 sales will go up and not only down? I guess that you are thinking about how the PS3 sales will be when there is a "normal" month though? ("normal" month as in a month outside the holiday season, and in a month where there arent any really big titled game(s) that is/are being released that can boost the hardware sales and in a month without any price drops). But i think it shall be interesting to see how the PS3 will sell in a "normal" month starting next year :)

EDIT: I added some text.

Dunlop

DenogginizerOS said:
What are we using to gauge "impressive"? PS3 sales alone, or PS3 sales compared to its competition? The "value shit" you speak of is relevent to the sustainability of sales increases because it directly goes toward the argument that the PS3 Slim and pricepoint are now much more competitive towards the X360 and Wii, which last I checked, are in no better position as far as exclusive titles this holiday than the PS3. I am arguing that the value argument is the most relevent argument this fall/winter and thus, the PS3 has a fighting chance of at least sustaining increased sales over the coming months, perhaps above expectations.

I'm not arguing against the PS3 sustaining sales, I hope it does my slim has become my favorite console (vs Wii and 2 360's).

However listing perceived 360 negatives (expensive hardware, LIVE, ect..) vs the features of the PS3 is subjective and will just incite the usual console warrior shit.

As a counter argument you can also list the 360's more extensive library (factor out exclusives) and cheaper price point to actually be able to play games, ect..

I do not think there will be a clearer picture for many months to come. In no way do I think the PS3 will escape third place status, but that does not have the same meaning as in past generations.

schuelma said:
I think his point is that this number isn't high enough in his estimation to lead to the conclusion that there will be a long term significant bump.
Sorry but I think that assumption is complete BS. 1 million in 3 weeks is an impressive stat, end of story. Oh and who are the geniuses comparing a 129 dollar handheld to an HD console?

Impressive sales, probably closer to 350k for US/PAL if the Japanese numbers are accurate. September NPD will be interesting to say the least. If these sales are unimpressive, the 360 and Wii sales over the same period would have to be labeled mediocre or poor in relation, right?

Woodsy said:
I was thinking Xbotlandia - and it's a ridiculous comparison because even the $399 PS3 probably outsold the $199 360 Arcade - but we don't get that breakdown of Arcade v. Pro/Elite.

You think Deacon is an Xbot?

DeaconKnowledge said:
Bingo bango.

Can't conclude anything long-term, its a short-term sales figure. This isn't the movie industry where you can accurately project earnings from one weekend. You can speculate, if you like. A good short-term number is still a good short-term number though. There's no bad news in this thread.

schuelma

TheExecutive said:
Sorry but I think that assumption is complete BS. 1 million in 3 weeks is an impressive stat, end of story. Oh and who are the geniuses comparing a 129 dollar handheld to an HD console?

Okie Dokie

shagg_187 said:
WTF is wrong with you trolls? WTF would impress you? No seriously, look at all the fucking sales for every fucking console and tell me if they achieve this in 3 week?
Don't ask people to put these sales in prespective. It's asking too much.

DenogginizerOS

Dunlop said:
I'm not arguing against the PS3 sustaining sales, I hope it does my slim has become my favorite console (vs Wii and 2 360's).

However listing perceived 360 negatives (expensive hardware, LIVE, ect..) vs the features of the PS3 is subjective and will just incite the usual console warrior shit.

As a counter argument you can also list the 360's more extensive library (factor out exclusives) and cheaper price point to actually be able to play games, ect..

I do not think there will be a clearer picture for many months to come. In no way do I think the PS3 will escape third place status, but that does not have the same meaning as in past generations.
I agree that the coming months will help clarify things. I agree that there are positives that the X360 provides that the PS3 doesn't (i.e. the install base increases the likelihood that a buddy has an X360 to play with you rather than a PS3), and I still think the Wii is going to be the top seller this Holiday along with the DS. However, I don't think my points are invalid about the value of the PS3 and cannot be blamed for the console warriors that cannot respectively agree or disagree.

Evlar

Banned
Speculating about long-term sales is changing the subject. This is a good result for Sony... an extra million sold PS3s is (more or less) an extra million potential game, accessory, and Blu Ray disc purchasers.

thuway

shagg_187 said:
WTF is wrong with you trolls? WTF would impress you? No seriously, look at all the fucking sales for every fucking console and tell me if they achieve this in 3 week?
Bingo bango.

It very very much depends on sales or shipped.

Shipped are predictions

Sales are sales

If this is shipped then what you want to know is how long it takes till retailers re-order another shipment. If it takes a long time, then that's not good. If in 2 weeks they're re-upping then sony is doing very very well.

gtj1092

Clues to tell that these sales figures are good are post from Deacon Knowledge, scheluma, laser beam and the like.

edit: forgot jrricky

Fakto

I wasn't impresed by the world wide PS3 Slim sales at first, so I checked *teh chartz* to get a rough idea of how did the prebious HD consoles launches in numbers:

PS3 - 3 weeks since launch: 520.000 ww
XBOX 360 - 3 weeks since launch: 950.000 ww
PS3 Slim - 3 weeks since launch: 1.000.000 ww

Now I see these new results with perpective and they don't seem as bad, do they ?
[If anyone have more accurate numbers, post them, vg-chartz is crappy ;P]

Fakto said:
I wasn't impresed by the world wide PS3 Slim sales at first, so I checked *teh chartz* to get a rough idea of how did the prebious HD consoles launches in numbers:

PS3 - 3 weeks since launch: 520.000 ww
XBOX 360 - 3 weeks since launch: 950.000 ww
PS3 Slim - 3 weeks since launch: 1.000.000 ww

Now I see these new results with perpective and they don't seem as bad, do they ?
[If anyone have more accurate numbers, post them, vg-chartz is crappy ;P]

Are those truly ww? You know that the PS3 launch was staggered, right?

Top Bottom