• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Translation Errors

beje

Banned
The whole FFVII in Spanish is a trainwrecking translation error all of itself. Let's say... add a babelfish translation on top of the engrish one and you get the idea.

I had to spend half the game translating back all the sentences word by word to english so I could know what the fuck were they meaning, and even then, it was still difficult to understand them sometimes.

Also, most Konami games in spanish last gen went as far as having serious typos. That's inexcusable.

Peff

faberpach said:
The final fantasy VII box in spanish has a typo on the front.

kcktub.jpg
And some more stuff like that in the instruction booklet :lol

Suikoden 2 also had an awful Spanish translation, for example chain mail was literally translated as chain post.

Binabik15

Shikashi said:
Why the fuck is the German flag upside down? :lol :lol :lol :lol

No, why the fuck is a part of the Spanish flag black :p

Our flag has three stripes of the same size, the spanish has the big yellow one on two smaller red ones. Even at this size you see that it can´t be the German flag, the red stripe is bigger. I´m outraged by your mistake!

By the way, now I want Tales of Vesperia, the cover indicates that it features handjobs.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Binabik15 said:
No, why the fuck is a part of the Spanish flag black :p

Our flag has three stripes of the same size, the spanish has the big yellow one on two smaller red ones. Even at this size you see that it can´t be the German flag, the red stripe is bigger. I´m outraged by your mistake!

By the way, now I want Tales of Vesperia, the cover indicates that it features handjobs.

Wait, what? Do tell for us non-spanish speaking folk.

magicalsoundshower said:
By the way, about the FF7 screenshot: I thought they called her "Aeris" in the original English release?
There was a shipment of FF7 where her name was defaulted as "Aerith". It is considerably less common than the "Aeris" version.

It's hard to pick on SHINE GET when "______ GET" is pretty much part of the vernacular in Japan.

Amalthea

Banned
magicalsoundshower said:
I read somewhere that the English translation of CV2 is actually pretty accurate and that the Japanese version doesn't make sense either and is full of townspeople giving you worthless and confusing advice. Lord knows what Konami were thinking back then.

The whole game design was completely demented no wonder they even fucked up the "hints" in the japanese version.

EXGN

Can't believe no one posted these from OG Metal Gear:

top-10-tuesday-worst-in-game-quotes-20060418064007443.jpg

I know I got busted here, I actually thought he was still asleep.

Also, same game "Uh-oh! The truck have started to move!"

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Narag said:
You can rename the characters iirc. Aeris is the default though. I seem to remember naming her Aerith when I ran through when it came out on PSN earlier this year.

i never understood why she was supposed to be called aerith, when the original japanese is エアリス (e-a-ri-su), what am I missing?

dogmaan said:
i never understood why she was supposed to be called aerith, when the original japanese is エアリス (e-a-ri-su), what am I missing?
Aerith and Aeris are kana-ized the same way. The way we know it's supposed to be Aerith is that they wrote the name in romanji in various places at the time.

dogmaan said:
The katakana "su" is often used to approximate the English "th" sound (the name "Smith" is written "Sumisu", labyrinth is "rabirinsu" and so on) so it does make sense, I guess.

Takao

Banned
"Time to go dorm" - Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: Spirit Caller

Then there is the cluster of nonsense known as Pocket Monsters: Diamond, really known as some Telefang game, with such gems as "Shit! Remember It!".

Man, there was one I can't find anywhere, that talked about a man who lived a bloody life, that was pretty hilarious. Does anyone have that one?

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
magicalsoundshower said:
The katakana "su" is often used to approximate the English "th" sound (the name "Smith" is written "Sumisu", labyrinth is "rabirinsu" and so on) so it does make sense, I guess.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Aerith and Aeris are kana-ized the same way. The way we know it's supposed to be Aerith is that they wrote the name in romanji in various places at the time.

Thanks guys,

I can read hiragana and katakana but I can't speak japanese, it's kind of like knowing the alphabet but no words (well, some words)

The game over screen in Moon Patrol. This is basically the only text in the entire game, too.

Edit: This only seemed to work sometimes and other times tells you not to hotlink images so I'm removing.

It reads "TO COUNTINUE GAME INSERT COIN"

dogmaan said:
In every media form of FFVII since then (AC, Crisis Core, Kingdom Hearts), it's been Aerith. Square clearly thinks that's how it was from the beginning and the default name in the original release was an error.

Manp

italian version of Halo 3:ODST... the game is still called ODST but the troopers them self are called TALOs... TALO?! the hell is a TALO?!?!

i suppose it's a lame literal translation of Orbital Drop Shock Trooper but it really makes no sense since a) they never explain what it actually means in italian and b) someone who doesn't know may wonder what the hell does the subtitle ODST mean since in the actual game ODSTs are always called TALOs

:lol

:)

Danneee

cosmicblizzard said:
Yep. It's just like why I would count the Korean version of Crimson Gem Saga's English option.

This, a million times this. It's just a roller coaster of crazy playing through the Korean version.

Takao said:
"Time to go dorm" - Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: Spirit Caller

Then there is the cluster of nonsense known as Pocket Monsters: Diamond, really known as some Telefang game, with such gems as "Shit! Remember It!".

Jormp Jomp!

I remember in the arcade game Shadow over Mystara, one of the shop keepers who looks like Chun-Li mentions something about a prince riding on a white house.

And another shop keeper with exclaim "don't touch me!" if you click on her cleavage.

I can't find any images of it. :(

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Funny English =/= translation errors guys.

Like "Wow!" You lose!" How is that wrong?

Also, on the Vesperia Spanish box, whats the issue? I take that character artists didn't do "Ah My Goddess!" Cause thats how the show was called in Spain anyways, so its not "wrong" per se unless Im missing something ...

GrumpyAlien said:
I read that his name in the original Japanese version was "Errol". Still a mistake, but L and R mix-ups are pretty common in older game translations IIRC.
That's funny because I read that the Japanese version had a character named "Error" and a character named "Bug" and yes, this was really supposed to be some kind of computer humor. In the English version, "Error"'s name was translated correctly but "Bug" was translated literally, i. e. as "Bagu" which means the translators didn't get the joke.

Peff

Raging Spaniard said:
Funny English =/= translation errors guys.

Like "Wow!" You lose!" How is that wrong?

Also, on the Vesperia Spanish box, whats the issue? I take that character artists didn't do "Ah My Goddess!" Cause thats how the show was called in Spain anyways, so its not "wrong" per se unless Im missing something ...

"I think you are :D >

GhaleonEB

The ending of Thunder Force III, which made me might aware of the true meaning of "true peace".

In a flash the planet ORN disappeared completely.

ORN could no longer control the huge amount of energy that had accumulated after he lost his owner.

The Emperor ORN had been disturbing the Union of the Milky Way for a long time.

What was his true character? He was a huge bio-computer which had been made in the beginning of the space age.

Besides, his computer brain was developing extraordinarily, and he began to have his own will.

He denied the existence of human beings, and finally he exercised a program to kill the whole human race. It was evidently human beings who had given him this idea. Therefore, human beings should think of the meaning deeply.

Anyway the war was over.

And a peaceful time came soon. It might be for a short time. Human beings, think about what you have done.

After the important mission was completed, STYX turned over his airframe to the base fellows waiting for them.

Jean and Shelley, you might aware of the true meaning of "true peace".​

Smash88

Banned
MidnightScott said:
AllYourBaseAnimated.gif

I've never actually played Zero Wing. But "Somebody set up us the bomb." always makes me chuckle.

It is like some alternate universe full of dumb asses that are slow. :lol

What game is this?

Top Bottom