• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBGI (Bandai Namco) next RPG Project K countdown

ethelred

Kagari said:
For a DS game?

Well, you have to admit, a DS game using the Tales of Vesperia engine would be pretty impressive.

Kagari said:
Remember that time Bandai accidentally had Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia listed for PS3 on their sites and then quickly removed them? Looks like the same situation here.

Yeah... the night that Tales of Vesperia's PS3 version appeared was the same night that Baten Kaitos DS popped onto the site, too. It's pretty disappointing that's never come to fruition. :/

Rpgmonkey said:
I'm assuming it's only connected because there's something related (Tales Studio game?), but not actually a Tales game.

That's an interesting guess. I think it'd be pretty neat to see a non-Tales game made by the modern Tales Studio.

duckroll

Nirolak said:
Watch Neo be right and it's a Keroro RPG. :lol

He could be, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! That's what's wrong with the world today. We no longer believe in fairy tales and happy endings!

duckroll said:
He could be, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! That's what's wrong with the world today. We no longer believe in fairy tales and happy endings!

I believe in happy endings.
They cost $40 downtown.

neo2046

think again :lol

http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/cs/
the "DS" icon has been removed

http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/index.php
here says it is a RPG for console

2009年11月05日
(console) 『Next RPG Project K』カウントダウン開始しました!

http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/cs/list/taleschannel/
http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/cs/list/GO_TO_K_66/
Tales channel says there is a new RPG coming

neo2046 said:
think again :lol

the "DS" icon has been removed

http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/index.php
here says it is a RPG for console

2009年11月05日
(console) 『Next RPG Project K』カウントダウン開始しました!

http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/cs/list/taleschannel/
Tales channel says there is a new RPG coming

Actually, the main index page had the DS icon as well, but they switched it to the "家庭用." That term can be used for both consoles and DS and PSP.

FSLink

Banned
I'm burnt out of Tales at the moment. Wake me up when there's an HD Tales again. :lol
And it's unlikely it'll be a Tales Destiny game since they were working on Graces.

Maybe a first time Team Symphonia portable game?

Though it could be a console game too huh? Vesperia 2 maybe? Vesperia seriously had enough stuff open at the end for a sequel to go by (Expand on the guild idea, mana world, etc), and it'd probably be a smoother transition than Destiny to Destiny 2. :lol

batbeg

duckroll said:
Come on people, believe! Baten Kaitos DS! Monolithsoft x Tri-Crescendo x Tales Studio! BELIEVE IN MIRACLES!

I'll believe in this with such vehemence it will have to be true.

So yay, Baten Kaitos DS confirmed!!

Unless I missed them, there aren't any new Tales trademarks batch. They don't need them for sequels, subtitles or remakes, sure, but this Project K doesn't seem to point in those directions.

The countdown is also strange, 7 days means next Famitsu street day, but Tales titles are usually unveiled in Jump.

But if its on Tales Channel, it must have something to do with either the Tales franchise or Tales Studio. Or just a new low for Namco :p

NeonZ

I'd like it if it were a Keroro RPG :D ... but it's probably something else, the artwork doesn't really match anything Keroro related.

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Unless I missed them, there aren't any new Tales trademarks batch. They don't need them for sequels, subtitles or remakes, sure, but this Project K doesn't seem to point in those directions.

The countdown is also strange, 7 days means next Famitsu street day, but Tales titles are usually unveiled in Jump.

But if its on Tales Channel, it must have something to do with either the Tales franchise or Tales Studio. Or just a new low for Namco :p

You know I just thought of it, and... the countdown might not indicate that it will be in Famitsu at all. If the game is a big enough deal, there could be a press conference next Thursday to announce the game, and that would be what it's counting down too. Then it would be in Jump the week after that, and then Famitsu. So it could still be a Tales game.

Of course, the question would be why announce a NEW Tales title a month before the next big Tales title is even released? I would say "makes no business sense" but this is Scamco we're talking about, so whatever. :lol

Baten Kaitos? Psshhh. The odds of that are..

Look, if betting sites would have odds for this...

Namco's Project K countdown will be part of (Limit $50):

theTales of series -1000
an entirely new RPG series - 250
the Xenosaga series +5,000
the Baten Kaitos series +10,000
any other pre-existing RPG series - 250

That means for Baten Kaitos you'd only have to bet 1 cent to win $50. THAT's how unlikely it is. Damn you Namco!

Mockingbird said:

theTales of series -1000

That means for Baten Kaitos you'd only have to bet 1 cent to win $50. THAT's how unlikely it is. Damn you Namco!
Wait, since when a new Xenosaga has more odds the a new Baten Kaitos? :lol

duckroll

Nibelung Valesti said:
Wait, since when a new Xenosaga has more odds the a new Baten Kaitos? :lol

Since forever? Xenosaga is an actual franchise with cross-media penetration, the games actually sold relatively well, and Xenosaga characters have appeared in games like Namco x Capcom and SRW OG Saga. The same cannot be said of Baten Kaitos. :p

duckroll said:
Since forever? Xenosaga is an actual franchise with cross-media penetration, the games actually sold relatively well, and Xenosaga characters have appeared in games like Namco x Capcom and SRW OG Saga. The same cannot be said of Baten Kaitos. :p
True, still Baten Kaitos is a Namco francheise with a fan-base on Nintendo consoles... IMO this alone gives BK more chances then Xenosaga, specially since Xeno has a fanbase on PS2 and Xenosaga1&2 is one of the worst selling games on DS...
It would be easier (and more logical?) to make a Baten Kaitos Wii/DS (the rumor is still there after all... even if it's just a rumor) then a new Xenosaga.
But maybe I'm just too pessimistic :lol In my heart I know I'll never play a new Xeno-game :'(

duckroll

Xenosaga I+II was a cheap ass no budget retread of games already released. It wasn't even developed by Monolithsoft. No surprise that it bombed. Here are the lifetime sales of every single game Monolithsoft has produced, to highlight how sad and pathetic Baten Kaitos is as a series in terms of financial worth:

Xenosaga Ep1 - 439k
Xenosaga Ep2 - 256k
Xenosaga Ep3 - 181k
Dragonball Kai - 184k
Namco x Capcom - 131k
SRW OG Saga - 120k
Baten Kaitos - 108k
Soma Bringer - 100k
Baten Kaitos 2 - 44k
Disaster - 27k
Xenosaga Freaks - 25k
Xenosaga I+II - 21k
Xenosaga Ep1 Reloaded - 14k

On second thought, I guess that only highlights how sad and pathetic Monolithsoft is, as a developer, in terms of financial worth. :lol

Edit: Monolithsoft was founded in October 1999. That means the studio is about 10 years old right now. In 10 years, they have a combined total unit sales of 1.65 million for all the software they have released to date. This is extra sad because the first game Tetsuya Takahashi ever directed was Xenogears, and that game sold 891k in 1998. He hasn't managed to do even double of that, in 10 years. :lol

Seda said:
If there ever were to be a Xenosaga 4, it should be a console game. I would like another direct sequel, but a new story arc would be nice too.

Well there was suppose to be like 6 or 7 Xenosaga games, but it'll never happen.
The decline in sales pretty much ensure that.

duckroll

AceBandage said:
Well there was suppose to be like 6 or 7 Xenosaga games, but it'll never happen.
The decline in sales pretty much ensure that.

There are many other reasons actually. Xenosaga was envisioned as a 6 part series which spanned thousands of years, involving different story arcs, as detailed in a similar timeline in Xenogears Perfect Works.

From the start, before Episode 1 was released, Takahashi already mentioned that not every Episode would definitely be a game. His plan back then was that they could branch out and tell major story arcs in-between huge gaps of time using novels, comics, and other medium.

Unfortunately the series had serious production issues in terms of budget and delays. This resulted in each Episode of the games covering less material than originally intended. The story of Shion's era was most likely not meant to have spanned 3 episodes, but 2 instead.

But after Xenosaga Episode 1, Monolithsoft had an internal shuffle in terms of what to do with the Xenosaga series. This resulted in Takahashi taking a back seat in producing the series, while younger staff took over and tried different things.

This pretty much fractured the fanbase beyond repair, and resulted in the series ending in Episode 3 with the conclusion of just Shion's story arc.

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:

It's listed as DS. So it's either a new Tales for DS, or maybe it's BATEN KAITOS DS! :O

Don't do that :-\

duckroll said:
Xenosaga I+II was a cheap ass no budget retread of games already released. It wasn't even developed by Monolithsoft. No surprise that it bombed. Here are the lifetime sales of every single game Monolithsoft has produced, to highlight how sad and pathetic Baten Kaitos is as a series in terms of financial worth:

Xenosaga Ep1 - 439k
Xenosaga Ep2 - 256k
Xenosaga Ep3 - 181k
Dragonball Kai - 184k
Namco x Capcom - 131k
SRW OG Saga - 120k
Baten Kaitos - 108k
Soma Bringer - 100k
Baten Kaitos 2 - 44k
Disaster - 27k
Xenosaga Freaks - 25k
Xenosaga I+II - 21k
Xenosaga Ep1 Reloaded - 14k

On second thought, I guess that only highlights how sad and pathetic Monolithsoft is, as a developer, in terms of financial worth. :lol

Edit: Monolithsoft was founded in October 1999. That means the studio is about 10 years old right now. In 10 years, they have a combined total unit sales of 1.65 million for all the software they have released to date. This is extra sad because the first game Tetsuya Takahashi ever directed was Xenogears, and that game sold 891k in 1998. He hasn't managed to do even double of that, in 10 years. :lol

To be fair, we don't know a lot about the budgets of these games. Baten Kaitos Origins was a complete bomb, but almost all assets from the first game were reused and the new material (besides the character models for the main characters) was of noticeably worse quality than the first (especially the new pre-rendered backgrounds). I'd wager it was made for close to nothing as far as JRPGs go.

Oh, and the first BK game was huge in France. Europe is where it picked up the majority of its sales.

duckroll

ivysaur12 said:
To be fair, we don't know a lot about the budgets of these games. Baten Kaitos Origins was a complete bomb, but almost all assets from the first game were reused and the new material (besides the character models for the main characters) was of noticeably worse quality than the first (especially the new pre-rendered backgrounds). I'd wager it was made for close to nothing as far as JRPGs go.

Doesn't really matter. tri-Ace was founded in March 1995, by March 2000 they achieved 1.6 million units sold across just 3 games. In just 5 years! In the next 5 years they would go on to make another million unit worth of sales, with just 4 releases. Let's not even talk about Level 5. :)

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:
Doesn't really matter. tri-Ace was founded in March 1995, by March 2000 they achieved 1.6 million units sold across just 3 games. In just 5 years! In the next 5 years they would go on to make another million unit worth of sales, with just 4 releases. Let's not even talk about Level 5. :)

Oh no, I'm not saying that :lol

Monolithsoft hasn't been a financial success, that's not even the start of it. But I was just saying that I didn't think the BK games were as terrible bombs as some might originally think.

Still, that means shit when you realize that they haven't sold anything successful, but whatever.

B.K.

When do V-Jump scans come out? If it really is a Tales game, it should be in it. That site said 7 days last night, so it should be in next week's issue, if it is a Tales.

Rpgmonkey

B.K. said:
When do V-Jump scans come out? If it really is a Tales game, it should be in it. That site said 7 days last night, so it should be in next week's issue, if it is a Tales.

I'm always a bit confused due to how scans are leaked, but I think the next scans will be from the Jump magazine that releases on November 16th.

V Jump is like the 21st.

I think the countdown is only timed with the release of next week's Famitsu, unless Duckroll's speculation is right and they do something different on the 12th and put it in Jump the week after. Doing all this the month before Jump Festa instead of doing everything there, especially since it'd be after Graces is released, would be a weird decision though.

Also, the background image seems to be of a ship or something on the waters near a coastal town.

neo2046

Tales of Keroro Quest
(for DS?)

symbols in the countdown page

Keroro Quest Carddass
card list
http://www.carddas.com/keroro/cardlist/list.html?category=83001
some cards at Yahoo auction
http://search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/...A5%A8%A5%B9%A5%C8&auccat=0&alocale=0jp&acc=jp

wcmsmg.jpg

hikoki30-img600x450-1257325682j56m7265349.jpg

hikoki30-img600x450-1257 xx_re.jpg

shin_sakura_161110-img600x450-1256015964hwvfsf62444.jpg

shin_sakura_161110-img600x450-1256vv_resize.jpg

squall211

If it's a new Xenosaga game, well, I'd probably die from happiness.

If it's a new Tales game for a console, please, please, PLEASE, let someone else other than Sakuraba compose the score. I have nothing against the guy, and actually quite a few of my favorite game music pieces are from him, but someone like Go Shiina should be given another crack at it. His Legendia soundtrack is one of my all time favorites.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Fuck you BANDAI!!!

Enough with the cards! YOU'VE TAINTED YOUR TOKUSATSU WITH IT, NOW YOU'RE DOING IT WITH RANDOM CRAP!!!!!!!!!111111111111!11!!!!!!

Keep your card games in the arcade. I don't mind supporting Animal Kaiser. :3

NeonZ

This is hilarious. Why did they make some serious looking page if it's just going to be Keroro?:lol

I hope this will be just an RPG parody of sorts with the same theme of the cards, rather than something actually using cards in gameplay.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Hmm, Neo wins, we all lose.

Thanks for...er...nothing BN, :(
grandjedi6 said:
% chance of releasing outside of Japan -- 0
Well, to be honest, even if it was a Tale Of game, the chances of it getting to the UK would be about 50% anyway.

faridmon

Stop It said:
Hmm, Neo wins, we all lose.

Thanks for...er...nothing BN, :(

Well, to be honest, even if it was a Tale Of game, the chances of it getting to the UK would be about 50% anyway.
make it 20%
we only got like 3 tales games since Symphonia.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mockingbird said:

theTales of series -1000

I bet $.25 on Baten Kaitos game. If I lose, I lose $.25. If I win, I get $1250! I'll take that chance.

Rpgmonkey

A bit disappointing. Was expecting something more...original than a Keroro game.

I've had no luck this month with this stuff. First that SaGa event, now this. Luckily I've never gotten too excited. :lol

The random promotion on Tales Channel was weird though.

Top Bottom