• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2010

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Seriously what is going on with Photo Dojo? Release the damn game already. Are they really trying to strategically release a 200point DSi download? Just get the fucking thing on the store, it's been out in Europe for a month and in Japan since December.

Somnid

Baconbitz said:
I have gangstar 2 for the Ipod touch. I can't believe they could not have ported that to the DSiware. Is it game size that limited gameloft or is what the DSi could handle?

I must have missed something. What's different about it?

Baconbitz said:
I have gangstar 2 for the Ipod touch. I can't believe they could not have ported that to the DSiware. Is it game size that limited gameloft or is what the DSi could handle?

i cannot read this post for the life of me, but the iphone version of gangstar is like a turbocharged port of a normal mobile phone game, so make of that what you will

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Holy fuck. Isn't AlphaBounce that mostly freeware PC indie game whereby you explore galaxies accomplishing missions and shit, and once the early introductory period is over, basically required you to purchase (with real cash) fuel to play more than 3 maps a day?
I fucking loved it until the introductory period ended for me, severely limiting my daily play time.
Could be an awesome portable game if the DS version isn't compromised! Hopefully they fixed the grammar/spelling!

If I have Military Madness on PSN, is there any point to this WiiWare versions?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mejilan said:

When it was announced, the XBLA/PSN/WiiWare versions were said to be the same, minus the WiiWare version actually missing a few features. I have no idea if that's been changed in the year since it came out on the other two platforms.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Stumpokapow said:
When it was announced, the XBLA/PSN/WiiWare versions were said to be the same, minus the WiiWare version actually missing a few features. I have no idea if that's been changed in the year since it came out on the other two platforms.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm curious about.
While I'd love to have the WW remake sitting next to the TG16 game in my Wii's virtual library, I won't double-dip if the PSN version is better/more complete.

Has anybody got Grill Off from Club Nintendo? I wasn't able to find the thread if there is one.

Anyway, is it any good? Worth the 80 coins? I'd rather have a game than 'stuff', but not if the game is complete garbage. So yeah, any good?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
jszjp5.jpg

k3vy9k.jpg
nedb4h.jpg

Youtube trailer (PC version)

Golgoth Studios announcement page

Homepage for the original PC version (with downloadable demo)

Maxrunner

Where can i get a list of the best wiiware titles? im on the wave for small digital games both on steam and wiiware. Yesterday i bought 3 wiwware games, art of balance, NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits and lost winds 2...they're all good....so what else you pple advise?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Capndrake said:
The ESRB updated a certain old SNES game's rating:

Wild Guns is good and would be appreciated, of course, but it's not half the game that Sunset Riders is and so I can't help but feel empty by its continued omission on VC :/

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
catchabad0ne said:
Has anybody got Grill Off from Club Nintendo? I wasn't able to find the thread if there is one.

Anyway, is it any good? Worth the 80 coins? I'd rather have a game than 'stuff', but not if the game is complete garbage. So yeah, any good?

It's a fun little score attack game. The controls are easy to get used to and the whole thing has that odd early 90s Nintendo vibe. Is it worth 80 coins? I guess that depends. If you only have a few then maybe it would be better to go for the physical rewards, but if you're swimming in coins, go for it. It's a curio, and a pretty slight one, but it's decent fun.

At the very least you must watch this promo for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zw7owrgEEI Seriously, watch it all the way through.

Rafaelcsa

Maxrunner said:
Where can i get a list of the best wiiware titles? im on the wave for small digital games both on steam and wiiware. Yesterday i bought 3 wiwware games, art of balance, NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits and lost winds 2...they're all good....so what else you pple advise?

You can find a list and reviews of all WiiWare and VC games in this site:
http://www.nintendolife.com/

My favorite WiiWare games that you didn't mention:

World of Goo
Castlevania Rebirth

Contra Rebirth
Gradius Rebirth
Swords & Soldiers
Cave Story
Bit.Trip Beat

Bit.Trip Void
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord
Tomena Sanner
Excitebike: World Rally
ArtStyle Orbient
ArtStyle Cubello
ArtStyle Rothotex

Max & The Magic Marker
WarioWare D.I.Y.
Bomberman Blast
Dr. Mario Online RX
Strong Bad series

I like all of these a lot, but I bolded the ones I highly, highly recommend.

Jazzem

Been playing Alphabounce, so can give the following impressions:

- Music is awesome and very 8-bit styled :D
- Tons and tons of power ups! Those are always fun.
- Controls are just right, with the touch screen working well for the gameplay.
- Loading times before levels are annoying, but are spiced slightly up by some backstory text.
- Unfortunately, it plays across the two screens as if there were no gap in-between, so the ball moves between the two as if it were all one big screen. This ruins the aiming/strategy a little as it's harder to direct the balls where you want, given the way they warp across straight away.

It's a good download overall, but the loading times and slight aiming issues are disappointing. If you like the sound of the game I still say go for it, as it's a well done breakout-alike otherwise.

Maxrunner

Rafaelcsa said:
You can find a list and reviews of all WiiWare and VC games in this site:
http://www.nintendolife.com/

My favorite WiiWare games that you didn't mention:

World of Goo
Castlevania Rebirth

Contra Rebirth
Gradius Rebirth
Swords & Soldiers
Cave Story
Bit.Trip Beat

Bit.Trip Void
Mega Man 9
Mega Man 10

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord
Tomena Sanner
Excitebike: World Rally
ArtStyle Orbient
ArtStyle Cubello
ArtStyle Rothotex

Max & The Magic Marker
WarioWare D.I.Y.
Bomberman Blast
Dr. Mario Online RX
Strong Bad series

I like all of these a lot, but I bolded the ones I highly, highly recommend.

so all artsytle ones are good?

Maxrunner said:
so all artsytle ones are good?

Art Style/Bit Generations is pretty much a mark of quality. The only Art Style game on DS or Wii that I would not recommend is Zengage, but even that's a pretty good game for relaxing.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Did anybody buy Zombieland? It seems a pretty nice Nam1975/WildGuns/BBros mix-up.
Is it in wide-screen and 480p?

DavidDayton said:
...and to fuel future Virtual Console discussion/debate/whatever, here's a list of all remaining Nintendo published titles that have yet to appear on the Virtual Console in North America.

Not many of the titles you listed stand a realistic shot of being released, though I'd be happy to be wrong.

NES
Clu Clu Land "D" (Disk version previously "released" in Animal Crossing) The cart version of Clu Clu Land is already on VC.
Devil World (Hey, it got a Euro release!) Not a chance in Hell.
Dr. Mario The WiiWare version fetches twice the price.
Golf NES Open Tournament Golf is already on VC.
Pro Wrestling Should be possible. Maybe held back by THQ developer relations?
HAL Titles: Adventures of Lolo 3 , Air Fortress , Day Dreamin' Davey , Rollerball , Vegas Dream Should be possible.

SNES
Earthbound Not happening due to licensing issues.
Kirby Super Star Out in Japan, could be held up for the DS version or splitting up on DSiWare.
Star Fox Super FX chip support required, nearly unplayable framerate by default.
Stunt Race FX Super FX chip support required, nearly unplayable framerate by default.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Super FX2 chip support required.
Super Play Action Football Should be possible. Maybe held back by EA developer relations?
Tetris Attack (Needs a title screen hack to remove Tetris logo) Not even FFIV got a title screen change.
Wario's Woods NES version already on VC.
HAL Titles: Arcana, Hal's Hole in One Golf, Hyperzone Should be possible.

N64
Cruis'n Exotica (both Cruis'n titles were -published- by Nintendo.) Midway.
Cruis'n World (unsure as to whether they retained any rights to titles OTHER than Cruis'n USA) Midway.
Diddy Kong Racing (Possibly unlikely due to presence of Rare characters) Likely the case.
Donkey Kong 64 (small chance of a problem due to presence of Jetpack) Likely an issue.
Dr. Mario 64 The WiiWare version fetches the same price.
Excitebike 64 Should be possible.
Mario Party 1-3 Blister-inducing. Mario Party 8 already on Wii.
Mario Tennis Should be possible.
Pilotwings 64 Should be possible.
Pokémon Stadium 1-2 The point of these games was the Transfer Pak.
Tetrisphere Licensed title.

JohnnyPanda

Neo Member
Cheesemeister said:
Not many of the titles you listed stand a realistic shot of being released, though I'd be happy to be wrong.

Are you saying that because MP8 is on Wii that 1-3 have a lower chance of making it to VC? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but that just doesn't make any sense.

Dragmire

Cheesemeister said:
Star Fox Super FX chip support required, nearly unplayable framerate by default.
Oh, stop. :p

But I am hoping they'll improve Super FX games for VC when they do release them. It's just that I went back to the first Star Fox recently, expecting it to be unplayable, yet it plays great.

sfried

Stumpokapow said:
Wild Guns is good and would be appreciated, of course, but it's not half the game that Sunset Riders is and so I can't help but feel empty by its continued omission on VC :/
Oh common...Wild Guns is severely underappreciated compared to Sunset Riders. I've seen tons of Cromano avatars but not enough Annie.

Definitely a get for me.

Cheesemeister said:
Super FX chip support required

I don't see what that has to do with anything. I know the Wii isn't the most powerful system on the market, but I assure you that it's capable of emulating the Super FX chip. Moreover, there are dozens of games on the Virtual Console that make use of special enhancement chips. Super Mario RPG and Kirby's Dreamland 3 used the SA1 chip, Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings used the DSP-1 chip, Street Fighter Alpha 2 used the S-DD1 chip, and we've seen tons of NES games that have used MMC chips.

Coolio McAwesome said:
I don't see what that has to do with anything. I know the Wii isn't the most powerful system on the market, but I assure you that it's capable of emulating the Super FX chip. Moreover, there are dozens of games on the Virtual Console that make use of special enhancement chips. Super Mario RPG and Kirby's Dreamland 3 used the SA1 chip, Super Mario Kart and Pilotwings used the DSP-1 chip, Street Fighter Alpha 2 used the S-DD1 chip, and we've seen tons of NES games that have used MMC chips.

It's not that it's not possible (The Wii can emulate the N64 with the expansion pak at full speed, so SNES Super FX1/2 emulation would be a doddle in comparison) it's just that it would take extra work, meaning that Nintendo would be likely to put it off until later on.

All three Nintendo published Super FX games will no doubt come eventually.

Stumpokapow said:

Considering the inferiority of the SNES version of Sunset Riders I'll take Wild Guns several times over.

Have no idea why you brought up SR in the first place, they're completely different games. Hell they don't even have the Western part in common cause Wild Guns is some kind of Neo-western style.

Capndrake

Tonight's EU update will be:

Virtual Console:
-Mega Man 4 (NES, Capcom, 500 points)

WiiWare:
-Bloons (Hands-On Mobile, 500 points)
-Rage of the Gladiator (Ghostfire Games, 1000 points)

DSiWare:
-Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs - Fight for Survival (Ubisoft, 800 points)
-Mr. Driller: Drill Till You Drop (Namco Bandai, 500 points)
-Pocket Pack Words & Numbers (Mere Mortals, 500 points)
-System Flaw Recruit (Enjoy Gaming, 500 points)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Considering the inferiority of the SNES version of Sunset Riders I'll take Wild Guns several times over.

The SNES version is way inferior compared to the arcade original, but VCA is basically a stillborn service so when Sunset Riders does come around, it'll either be SNES or Genesis and I'd take the SNES version any day!

Have no idea why you brought up SR in the first place, they're completely different games. Hell they don't even have the Western part in common cause Wild Guns is some kind of Neo-western style.

Oh I agree there's no real connection between the two games. :p

Capndrake said:
Weren't those two retail games? Or are they different from the retail game.

Especially the Ubi game is not that old either.

Capndrake

Caesar III said:
Weren't those two retail games? Or are they different from the retail game.

Especially the Ubi game is not that old either.
The Ubi one is a smaller version of the retail game, yes. Not sure about Mr. Driller though.

mclem

Capndrake said:
The Ubi one is a smaller version of the retail game, yes. Not sure about Mr. Driller though.

From the sounds of it, Mr Driller contains some modes that weren't in the *US* retail version of Drill Spirits (Dristone mode in particular), but they were in the EU one; I don't know if it's a straight rerelease or a new game with similar modes, though.

GeekyDad

Mejilan said:

Even if you didn't already own another version of this Nectaris remake, I don't think it's worth playing, personally. I found it to be solid but dry to the point of being a complete bore. Judging by your comments, you might be a more patient person than me, so perhaps you'll dig it. I love the Advance Wars series, and so I thought I'd enjoy this. But now I know why I love Advance Wars so much. It's all the...little touches. Nectaris is devoid of any of that. It's like playing chess against a CPU, and the online is pretty much dead.

Spocker

Capndrake said:
Tonight's EU update will be:

Virtual Console:

WiiWare:
-Bloons (Hands-On Mobile, 500 points)
-Rage of the Gladiator (Ghostfire Games, 1000 points)

DSiWare:
-Pocket Pack Words & Numbers (Mere Mortals, 500 points)
-System Flaw Recruit (Enjoy Gaming, 500 points)

3 new Game & Watch games made their appearance aswell; Ball, Donkey Kong Jr. and Flagman. 200 points each, as usual

EDIT: Apparently they were pushed ton next week.

FoneBone

Cheesemeister said:
Stunt Race FX Super FX chip support required, nearly unplayable framerate by default.
What do you mean by "nearly unplayable framerate by default"? And aren't the FX chips, by most accounts, easier to emulate than the SA1 and S-DD1 chips?

sfried

FoneBone said:
What do you mean by "nearly unplayable framerate by default"? And aren't the FX chips, by most accounts, easier to emulate than the SA1 and S-DD1 chips?
Not really. When emulated, Super FX games tend to run too fast that the timing becomes desynchronized, which is sometimes tied in with the gameplay. People think they're playing Star Fox at a smoother framerate when it fact they are playing it at a 2x rate, which means enemies move and react twice as fast as they did. Developers compensate by taking the slowdown into account, and I believe I've heard that they even added intentional frame hiccups in the SF64 update to mimic that effect.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Cheesemeister said:
Well, I'm not going to disagree with you, necessarily, but you might be underestimating Nintendo's desire to make money.

Clu Clu Land "D" (Disk version previously "released" in Animal Crossing) The cart version of Clu Clu Land is already on VC.
Yes, but the sequel/remake, which was released in Animal Crossing, hasn't been. In as much as it has already had a "Western Release" and the ROM is ready, I can't see any real reason why it would be impossible.

Devil World (Hey, it got a Euro release!) Not a chance in Hell.
Yeah, this is one of the more unlikely ones.

Dr. Mario The WiiWare version fetches twice the price.
Golf NES Open Tournament Golf is already on VC.
I don't think that either reason would prevent NCL/NOA from releasing Dr. Mario or Golf. I'm still amazed that Golf hasn't been released yet, actually.

Pro Wrestling Should be possible. Maybe held back by THQ developer relations?
There is no licensed material... for a while I thought that it might have been a 3rd party developed, Nintendo published title, but it does seem to have been developed internally...

Earthbound Not happening due to licensing issues.
I still think the "LICENSING ISSUES" thing isn't really the issue, but I do agree that its release seems doubtful at the moment... however, it hasn't even had a Japanese release, so...

1) There's no evidence that Nintendo is unable to program FX chip support - they've already programmed in emulation of other additional chips.
2) I do think it's more likely than not that Star Fox and Stunt Race FX are being held back due to simply looking "bad".
3) Some folks claim that it's POSSIBLE to speed up the processing of a virtual FX chip and actually improve the frame rate -- I'm still suspicious of this, as I find it hard to believe that the frame rate isn't hard coded to the software just to get the program to run, but...

Super Play Action Football Should be possible. Maybe held back by EA developer relations?
Why would it be a problem??

Tetris Attack (Needs a title screen hack to remove Tetris logo) Not even FFIV got a title screen change.
However, Waverace 64 got textures replaced... and Tecmo Bowl had roster changes...

Wario's Woods NES version already on VC.
So?

Cruis'n Exotica (both Cruis'n titles were -published- by Nintendo.) Midway.
Cruis'n World (unsure as to whether they retained any rights to titles OTHER than Cruis'n USA) Midway.
I'm still puzzled as to the exact nature of the relationship between Nintendo & Midway that was behind Cruis'n USA, and what legal dealings (if any) are behind the series name being used later. I'm also curious as to why Midway/EA have no VC releases - sort of.

Diddy Kong Racing (Possibly unlikely due to presence of Rare characters) Likely the case.
Donkey Kong 64 (small chance of a problem due to presence of Jetpack) Likely an issue.
Perhaps.

Dr. Mario 64 The WiiWare version fetches the same price.
So release both. A sale of either = $$$.

Mario Party 1 is the only true "problem" - MP2/3 are fine. Why MP8 being on the Wii would prevent them from releasing 2/3 is really a mystery to me...

Excitebike 64 Should be possible.
Mario Tennis Should be possible.
Pilotwings 64 Should be possible.
Indeed.

Well, yeah - I thought I put this under the accessory games.

Tetrisphere Licensed title.
Did Nintendo retain the copyright for this game, or was it the developer and merely PUBLISHED by Nintendo? Again, renaming isn't impossible...

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Tonight's AU update will be:

Virtual Console:

DSiWare:

And that's it.

Somnid

We've done this before, no one is saying Super FX games are somehow impossible to emulate instead they are explaining why you have't seen them already. Only a few games pose problems that are insurmountable, the rest is a matter of getting around to it and the more work the farther down the pile it is.

For Donkey Kong 64, I'd think that removing Jetpac wouldn't be THAT hard would it? It's a good guess that that is an issue, but still, it shouldn't be that hard to just pull out I'd think...

As for Diddy Kong Racing, they did do the DS remake so, like Kirby Super Star, there hasn't been much reason to put that on... but yes, the character issue (Banjo and Conker particularly) probably is an issue as well, the DS version of course removed those two characters. Hopefully some version of it will show up eventually, though.

DavidDayton said:
I'm still puzzled as to the exact nature of the relationship between Nintendo & Midway that was behind Cruis'n USA, and what legal dealings (if any) are behind the series name being used later. I'm also curious as to why Midway/EA have no VC releases - sort of.

American studios in general haven't exactly jumped to support Virtual Console... Interplay has, but they're a special case (being in so much trouble for so long, not having actually released a game since like 2004, etc). Midway of course now is pretty much dead, and one company doesn't own all of its old rights (Warner Bros. bought the main studio and some IPs, but not all as Hydro Thunder Hurricane proves...), so that explains why we haven't seen their stuff in the past year. Before then though, and for games in IPs that WB did pick up the rights to, yeah, I have no idea. It's like EA and many others, they just aren't supporting it for no apparent reason. Other examples would be Acclaim (sure, they're dead now, but somebody bought a bunch of those IPs... but oh right, many of their better games were on N64, and all Acclaim N64 games require controller paks to save, so forget that...), Atari and the and the various companies it has been or bought up over the years -- Infogrammes, Accolade, Microprose, etc. There are many more examples, but few western games on Virtual Console outside of Interplay, some Sega games like Kid Chameleon and Comix Zone, and some others.

I know older licensed sports games are obviously out, but still. EA for instance released a bunch of pretty good Genesis games that weren't licensed sports titles, why haven't we seen those? They released a compilation of some of them on the PSP so they haven't completely forgotten about them... oh well, it's just a little odd for sure.

Hmm.. see, I have to admit that I'm still suspicious -- but the thread you linked to mentioned someone playing Vortex at a higher frame rate. I'm puzzled, if only because I assumed that the code would have been written specifically for the framerate, and that the game as a WHOLE should speed up... but, hey, if speeding up the FX emulation would simply improve the frame rate, that is possible. I just hadn't heard any evidence of it before.

Obviously Super FX games are not hard-coded with set framerates, they just run at whatever speed they can get to... because yes, speeding up Super FX games does make them run smoother. Obviously you need to use the correct amount of speedup, too much and it won't work right, but it really is true that 3d Super FX games can be made to run faster through overclocking. Obviously that won't work for a 2d game like Yoshi's Island, but for the rest of the Super FX games, it will work.

If Nintendo ever does do Super FX emulation, though, I'm not betting on them doing it... though that would actually require them to do Super FX emulation, which I'm not exactly expecting. If we still don't even have N64 Controller, Expansion, or Rumble Pak support? Yeah.

They have emulated NES mappers, etc, so there is that, but the peripherals, and Super FX, not so far of course.

But anyway, if you want to see some sped up Super FX games, look at how the games run in ZSNES for instance. I think that emulator does speed them up.

No clue. It's always been one of those games I was mildly interested in, but not enough to go through the effort of tracking down a catridge. Some sort of Wizardry-esque RPG with a card mechanic -- or, perhaps, just a card motif.

Alright then, I might look it up.

The only other possibility would be if any of the other companies who act in what is essentially a "second party" position have titles... but I don't know if there are any in the same position as HAL. The closest thing I could find would be that Game Freak developed Mendel Palace; however, Namco and Hudson published it in Japan and North America, respectively, so I'm not sure who owns the rights to it.

Namco, Hudson, and Nintendo do all support the VC so that game showing up is maybe technically possible, but yeah, I wouldn't be betting on it for sure. There are still more games for them to release though, to say the least, one-a-week is ... obviously a bit slow...

MAtgS

Cheesemeister said:
The stadium games had a feature that allowed one to play the GB games on TV, so I think they could bundle them with a GB Poke'mon rom & transfer pak emulation.

Top Bottom