• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Ocarina Of Time Livestream Tonight With Eiji Aonuma [Over]

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ahoi-Brause said:
I think Aonuma is a total failure, incompetent and has no idea about gamedesign. That's also the reason why he's not moving up the ladder like anyone else in his position before did.
From dungeon designer to director/producer is not moving up the ladder? Also Aonuma is the one who saved TP. The original director lost the plot and Aonuma was dragged back in to sort out the mess.

Also I can't post scrolling message any more. ;_;

I can't read moonspeak, how the fuck do I get on the stream? I opened the link in OP and enabled all scripts on the page but nothing happened. There's like a button with a clock or something but I click it and some japanese error comes up.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
I can't read moonspeak, how the fuck do I get on the stream? I opened the link in OP and enabled all scripts on the page but nothing happened. There's like a button with a clock or something but I click it and some japanese error comes up.

You need an account to watch it. I posted how to make one a few posts ago.

Ahoi-Brause said:
I think Aonuma is a total failure, incompetent and has no idea about gamedesign. That's also the reason why he's not moving up the ladder like anyone else in his position before did.

Also he hates the freedom zelda 1 provided, as stated in some interview and from his first sfc game it is obvious all the bad traits in zelda today are his fault.
Marvelous, his gamedesign debut, was an innovative zelda ripoff with gimmicky mechanics and the first thing the game did was to trap you in a tent until you clicked through all the tutorial bullshit the game tries to force down your throat.
The man has no idea of natural gamedesign.

Start lttp and see how natural the progression from start to the first dungeon is and the way hyrule castle works as a tutorial, without you actually noticing it.
The game takes about 20 seconds to throw you into the action and it feels good and has a sense of urgency behind it all and the progression is very fluent.

OoT dwells in that incestous peter pan village far too long and you got no sense of adventure and drive when you're doing mundane tasks for a bunch of creepy freaks.
WW and TP made the forced tutorial start even worse and degenerated the game mechanics into drab repetition. The dungeons in 3D zeldas are just not fun anymore because you are just repeating the same shit over and over. They even admit that in the Iwata asks about TP. You don't feel like exploring a world anymore, you feel like grinding insultingly stupid puzzles in a videogame designed by people with no imagination who got a checklist with things to include but no idea what they are actually doing.

It's just my personal oppinion but I think aonuma does not get zelda, is too mechanical in his thinking and traps the zelda series in the N64 era.
Maybe they should give him some other project and bring back tezuka to fix zelda.

I really loved all the zelda games up to OoT and was severly disappointed by the way nintendo handles the franchise now and the more interviews with aonuma I read the more I came to the conclusion that he is the one to blame for the sorry state of zelda today - maybe other people who started with OoT or who aren't as passionate about 2D zelda as I am will see things different but this is the way I see them and I'm just sharing them with the world.

And you get Zelda... by trapping its design to the NES and SNES era...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why is there a magazine rack in the background? Is it to be knocked over when Aonuma rages?

GameE

Desiato said:
They'll announce what they'll do for Zelda's 25th anniversary.

Cool :eek:

Why do they think it's for Project Cafe since the anniversary is this year and Project Cafe is next year?

Rich!

GameE said:
Cool :eek:

Why do they think it's for Project Cafe since the anniversary is this year and Project Cafe is next year?

Maybe...Cafe...is THIS YEAR? Nah, maybe it's a new 2D Zelda for the 3DS. I can only hope...

Big One

Banned
I could imagine New Legend of Zelda, yeah.

Aonuma isn't directing any Zelda project currently so maybe he's busy with another one.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
AceBandage said:
He apparently has something to announce at E3??
Would be cool if he's the one on stage for Skyward Sword, letting Miyamoto come out for Cafe-related demos. Have him announce the release date?

OMG Aero

Big One said:
I could imagine New Legend of Zelda, yeah.

Aonuma isn't directing any Zelda project currently so maybe he's busy with another one.
Is he not working on Skyward Sword in some way?

Big One

Banned
richisawesome said:
Eh? I thought it was the guy from Flagship (oracles, Minish Cap) and Miyamoto. Didn't think Aunoma was involved.
Fujibayashi is directing, yeah, but Aonuma is the producer

Krowley

If they have anouma working on something zelda related that's going to be announced at E3, hopefully it is for cafe. A major dude like him needs to be working on the new system, not the wii or the 3ds.

Big One said:
Fujibayashi is directing, yeah, but Aonuma is the producer

But that means he should have enough time on his hand to work on another game as well.

Big One said:
There is so many problems with this it's ridiculous.

1. Aonuma isn't responsible for Ocarina of Time, he only designed the dungeons/puzzles.
2. Marvelous is in - no way - similar to modern Zelda games. Stop listening to Sean Malstrom he has no idea what the fuck he's talking about.
3. If you think games like TP and TWW are repetitive you must hate games like the original Zelda games, A Link to the Past, and Ocarina of Time.
4. Tezuka never left Zelda
5. Puzzles have been a mainstay in the franchise since A Link to the Past and are better than before, despite your ridiculous claims.
1. OoT has many problems and puzzles and dungeons are some of them.
2. I bought marvelous for sfc, because I thought it might be nice. I ended up selling it 2 weeks later because I hated it so much. I have no idea who sean malstrom is, but apparently he also played the game. Did you even play it?
3. The original Zelda games offer more freedom than the formulaic and mechanic nature of TP and TWW. Starting from the way the handle the world design and how they integrate dungeons into the flow of gameplay.
The Legend of Zelda – director, designer, and writer (with Shigeru Miyamoto)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past – director
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening – director
BS The Legend of Zelda – designer (with Shigeru Miyamoto)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – supervisor (with Toshihiko Nakago)

Since he was promoted he is only supervising the project and not designing anymore.
Why the fuck do you think miyamoto had to flip over tea tables?
5. Puzzles in lttp were fun and fresh, now it's the same shitty stale puzzles over and over with a little element changed from puzzle to puzzle. It feels not like adventuring anymore, it feels like doing chores.

I like how people bring up majora's mask, a ten year old game, to show how super awesome Aonuma is, when Shigeru Miyamoto and Yoshiaki Koizumi came up with the story that served as the basis for the script written by Mitsuhiro Takano. The idea of the "Three-Day System" came from Miyamoto and Koizumi according to wikipedia.
And while majora's mask seems to have risen to internet fame, because it's cool to love the slightly weird underdog game to show how unique your taste in wacky videogames is, there are many issues with that game too.
I personally like the atmosphere and some of the ideas. I hated the time travel aspect, since it renders all your achievements pointless after you traveled back in time.
It's an interesting concept that was ultimately held down by it's clumsy gamedesign.
To me it felt more like a very interesting and unique spinoff or addon to OoT instead of something that truely advanced the zelda series... just from the fact that the only lasting design aspect in the game was tingle.
And that's the problem with Aonuma zeldas instead of doing something meaningful and new the guy simply takes OoT and slaps some shitty gimmick on it that even restrains the freedom of the player in most cases.

Again, this is highly subjective and all but I don't feel like the zelda series is in good hands anymore.

Ahoi-Brause said:
I personally like the atmosphere and some of the ideas. I hated the time travel aspect, since it renders all your achievements pointless after you traveled back in time.
It's an interesting concept that was ultimately held down by it's clumsy gamedesign.
To me it felt more like a very interesting and unique spinoff or addon to OoT instead of something that truely advanced the zelda series... just from the fact that the only lasting design aspect in the game was tingle.
And that's the problem with Aonuma zeldas instead of doing something meaningful and new the guy simply takes OoT and slaps some shitty gimmick on it that even restrains the freedom of the player in most cases.
Look, i understand your point of view. Latest entries in the series are kind of dissapointing. That's a reasonable statement to make.

Now the fact that you are name dropping trying to show your knowledge of the seires designers and staff, doesn't necearily make what you said more or less valid.

Also your opinion about Majora's Mask seems irational and way too harsh. I think is the last interesting 3D Zelda to come out.

Refreshment.01 said:
Look, i understand your point of view. Latest entries in the series are kind of dissapointing. That's a reasonable statement to make.

Now the fact that you are name dropping trying to show your knowledge of the seires designers and staff, doesn't necearily make what you said more or less valid.

Also your opinion about Majora's Mask seems irational and way too harsh. I think is the last interesting 3D Zelda to come out.
MM was very interesting, yet there are factors that hold the game down in my opinion.
If you call my opinion "irrational" you should maybe include a few of the irrational points so I can see what you're talking about.

The namedropping has nothing to do with my knowledge of the series, but people apparently don't read the rest of the points I'm making anyways, because as soon as I go into the deeper reasons why, subjectively, the 3D zeldas fail people automatically bring up other points like "BUT MAJORA'S MASK" instead of actually responding to them.

To me the departure from 2D zelda to 3D zelda is like from super metroid to other m.

Jackano

I'm not a fan of Aonuma either and I like to see some of your argument Ahoi-Brause, but some others arguments you had are just too angry and not accurate to say the leasr (OoT dungeons problems? 1-It's not Aonuma except one of them and 2-OoT dungeons are not a problem at all). And you forogt Aonuma's master piece, Majora's Mask.
The problem is Aonuma's works only get worse after that and he is not in position to "reboot" Zelda.

Also I'm not hyped about the E3 shwing thing because it's Skyward Sword.

Ahoi-Brause said:
The namedropping has nothing to do with my knowledge of the series, but people apparently don't read the rest of the points I'm making anyways, because as soon as I go into the deeper reasons why, subjectively, the 3D zeldas fail people automatically bring up other points like "BUT MAJORA'S MASK" instead of actually responding to them.

That's because when talking in absolutes a single counter-example is enough to prove you wrong. So yeah, that's sufficient.

GT Vespene said:
famistuLiveTop.png
Jimmy Fallon on the right??

Im psyched for this game but am a little worried about navi telling me to take a break.....especially in a marathon type game like OoT where I will be playing in excess of a hour a clip......meh well see

Jackano said:
I'm not a fan of Aonuma either and I like to see some of your argument Ahoi-Brause, but some others arguments you had are just too angry and not accurate to say the leasr (OoT dungeons problems? 1-It's not Aonuma except one of them and 2-OoT dungeons are not a problem at all). And you forogt Aonuma's master piece, Majora's Mask.
The problem is Aonuma's works only get worse after that and he is not in position to "reboot" Zelda.

Also I'm not hyped about the E3 shwing thing because it's Skyward Sword.
I talked about Major's Mask in at least 2 posts in this thread, I don't know what you are talking about?

Anyways:
From what I can tell from his first game and the statements he made in interviews, compared to the statements miyamoto made in interviews I am pretty certain that the hand-holding aspects and the linearity of the zelda series are aonuma's fault.
I made a few posts about that in the other thread.
In the lttp interview miyamoto states how important it is to not overwhelm the player with instructions and quest descriptions.
Since OoT this is happening in the same way it happened in aonuma's first game - marvelous.
From forced tutorials, that restrain the player in his urge to start the game to annoying helper creatures like navy.
I can only say it how I see it. Since Tezuka is not directing zelda anymore I've noticed how lot's of freedom was taken out of the series and replaced with design choices of someone who has a very different idea what zelda should be about.
It seems that since Zelda 64 the team directly responsible for zelda has forgotten about any game prior to N64 and stick to it's design choices (some obviously only introduced because of the limiting hardware and the overambitious original ideas by miyamoto concerning the game) like they are sacred, completely forgetting about more flexible and fluent things the early zelda games did.
Zelda 64 was very restrictive, linear and sometimes even unfinished and barren compared to earlier zeldas because of crippling hardware. Now instead of trying to use the progress in technology to finally deliver a 3D game that really comes close to some of the original zelda ideas and isn't held back by shitty hardware nintendo instead choses to use the very limited nature of OoT as a blueprint for every zelda game to come.
In their cluelessness the team probably realizes something feels wrong about the games and subsequently tries to fix them with comming up with crazy ideas to take away even more freedom from the player in order to look innovative.
Every 3D zelda since OoT would have immensely profited from the team actually reworking the basics and then trying to make a good zelda game, instead of doing a modified OoT with all it's downsides and then give link some neat gimmick to further complicate the game.

It's like an artist who can't let go off a shitty sketch he did in a style that was new to him back then and tries to improve it with a new layer of paint each year. It would be much easier to go back to the basics and use the knowledge of that, combined with his new skills to create a much better, new and fresh painting that combines all the old skills he once had and the newly and improved ones he learned.

Holy Order Sol said:
That's because when talking in absolutes a single counter-example is enough to prove you wrong. So yeah, that's sufficient.
Well, I'm always stating that my opinion is subjective, but I've yet to see someone actually counter-argument anything with examples and arguments instead of just shouting MAJORA'S MASK LOL UR RONG and completely ignoring 90% of the points I make about the gamedesign in modern zelda, while feeling high and mighty to have somehow defended the mainstream-opinion online with minimal effort.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Let the guy have his opinion , he doesn't fully enjoy the 3D games, so what? I know I disagree with him but seriously, arguing whether ones opinion is the right one or not isn't worth wasting time on. We're all just nerds anyway

Easy_D said:
Let the guy have his opinion , he doesn't fully enjoy the 3D games, so what? I know I disagree with him but seriously, arguing whether ones opinion is the right one or not isn't worth wasting time on. We're all just nerds anyway
Thanks! :D
It's not like I don't want people to enjoy their 3D zeldas... I just want another experience like lttp again - be it in 3D or 2D.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Ahoi-Brause said:

Eiji Aonuma is the fastest rising personnel at Nintendo besides maybe Shinya Takahashi. Followed closely by Yoshiaki Koizumi.

Aonuma went from designer, planning chief, director, producer, to producer and manager of an R&D group.

He makes a lot of money.

Myriadis

Easy_D said:

I agree.But the problem was that he started this fight by posting real harsh attacks against Aonouma and the Teams because he don't like their games.When he got some negative responses for that,he began to write more reasonable posts in a calmer tone.I mean,I don't like AlttP and LA as much as the other Zeldas (I haven't played the DS games,so no comment on these),but I don't write posts like "Tezuka is a failure,incompetent and has no idea about gamedesign".Well,I hope he learned that.Like Easy_D said,no need to elaborate it further.

And to be On Topic again:Has someone found already a Youtube version of this?I searched for it and only got something about Pandoras Tower.

.la1n

JackFrost said:
Jimmy Fallon on the right??

Im psyched for this game but am a little worried about navi telling me to take a break.....especially in a marathon type game like OoT where I will be playing in excess of a hour a clip......meh well see

WTF. That has to be a photoshop, right...RIGHT?

Myriadis said:
I agree.But the problem was that he started this fight by posting real harsh attacks against Aonouma and the Teams because he don't like their games.When he got some negative responses for that,he began to write more reasonable posts in a calmer tone.I mean,I don't like AlttP and LA as much as the other Zeldas (I haven't played the DS games,so no comment on these),but I don't write posts like "Tezuka is a failure,incompetent and has no idea about gamedesign".Well,I hope he learned that.Like Easy_D said,no need to elaborate it further.

And to be On Topic again:Has someone found already a Youtube version of this?I searched for it and only got something about Pandoras Tower.
But I can rationally argue why I think Aonuma is a failure when it comes to zelda, as I don't like his robotic approach to the series, which makes sense since he was a puppeteer, fascinated with mechanical dolls before joining nintendo, which explains a lot about his design philosophies.
He is very focused on schematics and linear constructions and was probably never as adventurous and creative as miyamoto and tezuka as he seems to be obsessed with rules and turning everything into mechanic schematics.
That's why I think he sucks. He is not flexible enough to open his mind to a more creative and free approach to zelda, because it would be fundamentally against his character.

As you see I've spend quite a while thinking about this and that's why I'm so vocal with my opinion. It's not just a gut feeling, I can verbalize my reasons for disliking him and the other people in charge of zelda currently.

Maybe they should just give him his own series?

But I'm sure you couldn't name one reason why you'd dislike Tezuka, because THAT would be completely baseless. I don't even know any other game-director with a track record as awesome as this man.
From smb 1-3 to world, yoshi's island, zelda 1-4 the man is objectively a genius and at least on one level with miyamoto when it comes to creating fun game mechanics.
So I don't like that you're implying I'm hating on aonuma because I'm an irrational asshole, I'm a very rational asshole about my loathing for aonuma.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Krowley said:
If they have anouma working on something zelda related that's going to be announced at E3, hopefully it is for cafe. A major dude like him needs to be working on the new system, not the wii or the 3ds.

But that means he should have enough time on his hand to work on another game as well.

Aonuma is producing 2 Zelda games this year and possibly that mysterious Zelda 25th Anniversary project. Besides with him being a manager of the group, it be asinine for him to keep stealing the director role from the lead planner.

richisawesome said:
Eh? I thought it was the guy from Flagship (oracles, Minish Cap) and Miyamoto. Didn't think Aunoma was involved.

Aonuma is the manager and producer! Has been on every Zelda game last 9 years practically. Pretty sure Fujibayashi was formerly employed by Capcom not Flagship.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I've signed up for Nico Nico several times in the past - going through the entire procedure and receiving a confirmation. Yet every time I attempt to log in it gives me an error. Has anyone else experienced this?

Top Bottom