• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is Lost worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravager61

Lost seems worth it for the first few seasons.. and then you get to the end and realize how much of your life you wasted watching such a terrible show.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Hmm is it really that good ? I only saw the first few episode's Until I saw the polar bear on the island then I said fuck it.

Yes. You only made it to episode 2, which was still the pilot.

Yes. I think it takes about 5-10 episodes before you will be hooked, because that's when the show starts to hit it's "stride" of sorts and will unveil how episodes flow. Characters progress, mysteries begin to be shown, and you'll start to have questions.

The journey is well worth the ride, even if the ending(for some) isn't super satisfying.
Should be hooked with the Pilot or episode 4. 10 is crazy talk.

apana

The show is kind of like having a profound and moving discussion with a genius professor but eventually you realize that the professor is actually just a deranged hobo who likes to ramble on and on, and the only reason you are talking to him is because you have no friends.

LeleSocho

Banned
If you start, you wont be able to stop but when you will see the last episode you will hope that you've stopped

No it isn't worth

Hieberrr

I'd say it's very worth it. Season 2 was a little slow for me, but otherwise the series is fantastic. I'd definitely say that it's one of my favourite series. Also, if you have time, watch Homeland :p I recently saw it and, holy fuck, it's amazing!

Cipherr

Its most certainly worth it. For some people, an ending that they didnt like can travel back in time and make dozens of excellent episodes and full seasons retroactively shit.

But they are the minority. You will enjoy it.

Though I do have some great memories watching many moments, on and offline conversations about it and introducing the world to one Evangeline Lily, I deeply regret watching and falling in love with the show. I saw the signs early on, but when you're in love you ignore them. At least until they are undeniable. Then when you still stick it out in hopes you may be wrong, the final betrayal hurts all the more so.

To sum it up quite well, the DEFINITIVE episode of LOST is titled "The Long Con". It introduced me to it's titular concept. It was a rare moment of accidental honesty on the part of the producers, a metaphoric foreshadowing of what LOST ultimately was.

So, no.

MrPliskin

Banned
Yes? You're paying money for Netflix, it was a very popular show, and it costs you nothing extra to watch.

Just make sure you watch about 5 episodes before you decide if it's worth it or not.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Worth it - some of the moments and questions in seasons 1-4 are incredible. Amazing stuff.

Imm0rt4l

I marathoned it earlier this month. It's worth watching at least once through.

The payoff in the last season isn't there though, last seasons sucked ass.

Suairyu

Banned
+1

If you want to know what the hype was about, watch the first season and then stop, it goes WAY downhill from there.
But then the amazing retro-mystery of Dharma couldn't be experienced. Them projector reels and betamax tapes.... I love retro science fiction. So good.

Of course, Season 5 turned Dharma into the least interesting thing ever, and thus can be pointed to as the exact season where it went wrong.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Holy shit so many mixed reactions hahaha. Saw the first part of the pilot episode, was kinda cool though it screamed TV SHOW CHEAP VFX AND CHEAP SCARES everywhere. I'll give it a chance see how it manages itself.

gdt

Absolutely. One of my favorite shows ever, and will send you on a ride you will never forget. Admittedly, the mythology disappointed many, but dat characters. God, Jack and Locke man love forever.

WATCH IT.

beastmode

Pretty sure the writers didn't actually know where they were going with that at that point. That's what makes it so disappointing.
they pretty much had everything important figured out at the half-way point (well, except for walt...) prior to that they had some vague understanding of
jacob & mib
and hinted at it as early as season 2 i believe.

the real problems with the show are the shitty actors, dialogue, and budget problems.

Edit: it's kind of the bizarro version of BSG, as that show had great episodes but the series as a whole lacks.

terithegreat

Neo Member
Absolutley.

I watched the entire show from start to finish as it was airing, and occasionally went back since and watched a few episodes here and there. But the past few weeks I've actually been marathoning through it; from season one to season six now. It's amazing. Picking things up I missed the first time, forgetting when something shocking happens. There's nothing like it. Hands down, all time best TV experience you can have.

Also, it helps when you know which episodes to skip :p

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Watch it. People saying it sucks or goes to shit near the end don't have their priorities straight.

100+ hours of any entertainment will not be able to arrive at one single cohesive conclusion. Its a TV show. LOST is a TV show. Lost features some of the most creative and original storytelling of the past decade+.

If you want to be a snoot about it, just watch seasons 1-3 and don't bother with the second half. But the fact of the matter is, if you skip out on Lost you are denying yourself of some of the best television in modern history -unsatisfying conclusion or not.

It's my favorite show of all time, but it's not the best show of all time.

Yeah, it's worth your time. It's escapism at its best.

Helmholtz

Watch season 1 for sure, it's great. The rest are more inconsistent, with some being good and some being bad. I didn't care for the conclusion either.

terithegreat

Neo Member
Also - if you're considering if you should watch it. Try the first few episodes and you'll pretty much know. LOST doesn't really hide what it's all about, and the first season is some of the best episodes any way.

Dead

well not really...yet
Yes. Great show with great characters. One of the defining TV shows of the past decade, much like X-Files was to the 90s.

SmithnCo

Starts off good, goes off the rails by the later seasons. The conclusion is really unsatisfying.

You can tell they had no idea how to end it and just packed a lot of bullshit like time travel in there.

Dany

Banned
Also - if you're considering if you should watch it. Try the first few episodes and you'll pretty much know. LOST doesn't really hide what it's all about, and the first season is some of the best episodes any way.

First 5 episodes are magical.

Walkabout, White Rabbit, so good.

Ah...Watch this show, it is one of hte most captivating pieces of TV that i've ever seen.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit so many mixed reactions hahaha. Saw the first part of the pilot episode, was kinda cool though it screamed TV SHOW CHEAP VFX AND CHEAP SCARES everywhere. I'll give it a chance see how it manages itself.

just bail out now

I'm so tempted to just post a plot point from later in the show. If you read it you'd know it's not worth watching.

just take my word for it that this show goes nowhere and you'll hate yourself if you carry on

Dany

Banned
just bail out now

I'm so tempted to just post a plot point from later in the show. If you read it you'd know it's not worth watching.

just take my word for it that this show goes nowhere and you'll hate yourself if you carry on

This show goes everywhere! I left season 6 satisfied that I watched the entire run, it is a fantastic show. Don't spoil it for him.

I feel most of hte complaint and indifference from this show is about what season 6 did and IMO it wasn't the greatest thing ever but hey, it was a fun ride with an exciting conclusion.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I felt like the show was really compelling in terms of its style and what was going on moment to moment (not in every episode, unfortunately, but enough of the time) but in terms of the entire arc it was disappointing.

That's how I would describe it as well. I gave up on the big picture in the first season and still enjoyed the show. That said, I don't think it was worth my time in hindsight.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
This show goes everywhere!

everywhere and nowhere

the writers had no idea how to dig themselves out of the S2 hole and just started chucking everything at the wall to see what would stick

by the end I think they just said 'fuck up' and stopped filming.

Dany

Banned
everywhere and nowhere

the writers had no idea how to dig themselves out of the S2 hole and just started chucking everything at the wall to see what would stick

by the end I think they just said 'fuck up' and stopped filming.

? (fake edit: '?' is a great episode)

By the middle of filming season 3 (jacks tattoo episode, they told ABC they wanted an end of the show and ABC gave them 3 more seasons. They knew exactly where they were going and everything was evenly paced for what the arch of each season compromised.

If you like the characters and the general intrigue of the island, then stick with it.

If all you care about is the mystery and explanations of those mysteries, ditch it now.

This.

I did sort of gave a shit about the characters so I stuck with it till the end.

Season 1, 4, and 5 were the best. I skipped half of season 2 and 3 and didn't really miss anything.

The journey is better than the destination. The entire experience of watching it is fantastic and loads of fun, but the end of it all was so bad.

Even if it ended poorly, that does not negate how great it was for so long.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I think it's worth it. I loved the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom