• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hybrid |OT| Choose This Day Who You Will Serve

I've only played the one game so far (and I did alright, I think, 10 kills and 5 deaths), and I'm not entirely sold enough to have bought it yet. I think I'll play for the full hour's worth before I decide on whether to buy it or not. It's fun, but it's not grabbing me in a massive way and I'm not really a multiplayer guy (but I also kind of want to buy it just to support it).

You best not be talkin' about Paladin, I've formed a strong bond to my team that I've spent three matches playing on!

*hides*

El Sloth

Banned
Hell yes

I had tons of fun with the beta. The teleporting ability was a really awesome. I bet it'll be harder to unlock this time around though. Last time I was tricked into joining the Paladin plebs, but this time I am joining the superior Variant race.

I just hope this time around finding people to play with isn't a complete pain in the ass.

Tons. But notable? Some Swarm fixes so it's less lethal and less spammy. Doesn't stack with venom anymore and can't shoot through that see through wall.
HALLELUJAH

It wasn't unbeatable, but holy hell was it ever annoying in the hands of the right teams.

So pumped to play before work but the servers were down :(.

Unless they've been bumped since the Beta, Preyons were def. not OP. I only really got killed by them if they came from an angle I wasn't expecting, otherwise I think they take two shots from the basic AR to kill.

Good to hear the swarm is toned down, while I didn't think it was OP in the beta, it's spammyness was really annoying.

For the new players, here's my quick advice,

don't think of this like a gears of war, where you are bouncing around, trying to get shotgun kills and dodge roll better than your opponents. Similarly, don't just hang out in one position, you'll get killed that way. Instead, keep moving from cover to cover, and engage when you have an advantage. Think of this as a cross between Panzer Dragoon and Full spectrum warrior. You're main goal is to find a way to get around your opponents cover, and hit them while they are exposed. The most effective way to do this is through tactical movement, watch where your opponents are engaged, find an open route, and haul ass through till you can get a clear shot.

If there's not an open lane, that's where the other elements come in, now you need to force your way through, the best way to do this is abilities. Grenades are awesome for this, toss one out, and it will force your enemy from cover, or get you a kill to open a lane. Other options, use siphon and dance around in the air, pinging enough shots to regen health. Use the armor boost and fly at a dudes face with a shotgun. send a couple of drones for distraction and make a kill shot. There are lots of ways to handle it.

Sometimes though, you'll just find yourself in a situation where you and another dude are in the air, this is basically a MP version of an on rails shooter, move like crazy, and keep fire on the other guy. If you have more skill, you'll win.

When the match starts, take a look at your team, see what they are choosing. If no one has the radar pick that, it will make your whole team better. If no one on your team has a bunker busting kit, grab one (Grenades, syphon + MG, Armor + shotgun are some common ones). As the match starts, check your teams layout, if they are concentrating on one path, check the other, you'll either stop their team from advancing, or find an open lane to get some nice flanking kills.

Jackson

It's really disappointing to see the Service Errors still. I really hope the hosting issues are solved soon. :(

It's waaaaaaay more disappointing for me. lol :(

We are working closely with MS and tracking down the root cause. It should be fixed soon. We're confident this isn't a long term problem, but I can't give a specific time frame yet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

S1kkZ

It's waaaaaaay more disappointing for me. lol :(

We are working closely with MS and tracking down the root cause. It should be fixed soon. We're confident this isn't a long term problem, but I can't give a specific time frame yet. Sorry for the inconvenience.

didnt every single mp-only xbla game had the same issue at launch? (battlefield, monday night combat..)

DaBuddaDa

I think I'll wait for its inevitable release on Steam 4-6 months from now. XBLA has become a wasteland for games like this. It looks really cool but I just can't make myself care knowing it's going to be dead in a few weeks.

I know it was probably outside the scope of the project but I really wish you could play with bots. The concept behind the game is really cool but I just find playing online too stressful. Oh well. All the same best of luck to you Jackson, hope the game does well.

El Sloth

Banned
Just went up against my first shotgun teleporter.

Hooooooo-weeeeeee that's no fun.
Once you recognize the telltale signs of an incoming teleport it's pretty easy to just instantly headshot them with the shotgun. Common tactic I came up against in the beta that forced me to stop teleport derping everywhere and forced me to actually think.

It's always helpful to travel in packs when you know someone has teleport too.

Grenades, especially hack 'nades, are also party poopers.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think I'll wait for its inevitable release on Steam 4-6 months from now. XBLA has become a wasteland for games like this. It looks really cool but I just can't make myself care knowing it's going to be dead in a few weeks.
If anything it's the opposite. The PC ports of Section 8: Prejiduce and Monday Night Combat died off on the PC first. As far as I know, they're still being played on the consoles. I think the timed multiplayer demos help with the churn.

Steam or Windows 8 Store?

FFF. Can't tell if I got the beta helmet. Ah well. I'll try again later, I guess.

Wish MS would get their shit straight and fix the servers.

Kinda annoying to see people saying they won't buy it as it will be dead in few weeks, WELL here's an idea, if you quite like the look of it buy it and increase the number of people actually playing it and possibly even the numbers of people wanting to play it as it becomes more popular. Don't contribute sweet FA and of course then sit and moan that it will be dead in a few weeks like all the other games you didn't buy.
I tried the demo and was impressed enough to buy, I wasn't in the beta (even though I got a code, USA only) and had not really read much about the game, recently saw some video footage of the world war in action but I had NO idea it was a auto cover-to-cover shooter, it plays really fast paced, flying around going to cover works really well and I have generally been impressed by it.
Hopefully me playing it will convert a few friends to slap some points down and team up with me for 3 vs 3 action.

totowhoa

Banned
Dammit Microsoft. Was getting a status cod 80353003 I think it was when trying to buy the game. Tried some solutions and nothing worked. Now when I try to buy it, it just says "this item is no longer available" :p oh well, I can be patient. Gonna plug my Ethernet back into my router so I can get off gaf mobile and update the OP while I wait.

Sorry for the launch day mess Jackson... And going by your posts you pulled an all nighter. Sleep!

Jackson

Dammit Microsoft. Was getting a status cod 80353003 I think it was when trying to buy the game. Tried some solutions and nothing worked. Now when I try to buy it, it just says "this item is no longer available" :p oh well, I can be patient. Gonna plug my Ethernet back into my router so I can get off gaf mobile and update the OP while I wait.

Sorry for the launch day mess Jackson... And going by your posts you pulled an all nighter. Sleep!

Well I did go to sleep, but then at a little past 5AM the server crashes started happening and I've been dealing with that. :/

The game is pulled so people don't buy it only to have it not allow you to log into the game and ya know... play it.

jtrov

Can't wait to purchase this when I get home later. Personally I loved the beta and I can't wait to see how the game is for full release. I just can't wait to dive in, customize my character, and join the frey.

Look forward to joining my Paladin brethren soon enough.

totowhoa

Banned
Well I did go to sleep, but then at a little past 5AM the server crashes started happening and I've been dealing with that. :/

The game is pulled so people don't buy it only to have it not allow you to log into the game and ya know... play it.

That's what I figured it was. I'll keep an eye on the thread for an update.

totowhoa

Banned
All right! OP finally updated! I meant to do it last night in lieu of the launch, but I ended up going out much later than planned. Credit to Jackson for the banners (he didn't play any other part in the making of the OT). I'm having some computer problems so I wasn't able to design any banners. I asked GAF to help me out, and Jackson answered. Looks nice and proper now!

I'll be updating to the OP over the next few days to add more information and fix some errors, as I was mostly going off my memory of the beta and a couple of youtube videos.

OK played acouple more short matches. Jackson i don't think the Preyon is balanced to be honest, and i know it screams. I sort of retrack my comments about the Warbringer and Stalker being OP, i was rushing into stuff hence why i thought they where OP.

What are other peoples thoughts on the Preyon?

Thought I would chime in on this real quick since I put a lot of time into the beta (I was around level 45 by the end). Preyons are going to be the bane of the your existence for the first hour or two probably. However, they fly in a straight line and don't really move much. They also have terribly low HP. When you hear the screech, be on the lookout and ready yourself to take it down. It only takes a few hits (maybe one or two blasts from the shotgun, or a brief stream of fire from a machine gun). As you get a little more skilled, they'll be less of a threat. They'll still take you down occasionally though (especially if it launches very close to you). They're rare enough and easy enough to kill that they're not too annoying once you get a little better, and they always make for a tense moment.

Jackson

Unofficially the servers seem stable now. People are playing without any servers going down. We're still testing more before we put the game back up for sale but if you had already d/led the game it should work.

Woorloog

Banned
Eh, doesn't feel like my game. Neat idea but... Guess i'm not just into cover-based games.
Looks pretty though.

Jackson

How can the servers fail on day one? What exactly was the beta for?

Testing the scale required in a live environment is why things like this happen. When games like Diablo 3 go down, at launch it's obvious that it's a hard thing to get right. But the good news is we're ok and we pulled the game for 4-5 hours off the dash.

Well, I like how the controls feel, but man, I feel really overwhelmed in matches sometimes. So much is going on that I occassionally forget about my abilities, and I guess I haven't figured out how to counter preyons yet. I can hear the cry, but I just don't react fast enough.

Still unsure if I want to get it yet. The presentation is slick and the amount of unlockables/challenges is nice if not a little hectic. It feels good when you and your team are dominating the other players in Team Deathmatch. However, when it's the other way around it's pretty overwhelming like I said before.

I flip flop between rushing in and staying in one area until I see a clearing and pushing forward. Any advice?

Card Boy

Banned
Nobody's been able to purchase it for several hours as well though.

Not really getting a good impression of the game to be honest. I have green bars and everybody including myself are rubberbanding and lagging all over the place. Not sure why it costs 15bucks when it's clearly in a unplayable state. You never get a second chance to make a good first impression. Also matchmaking is not good and confusing. Gameplay appears to seem solid outside the Preyon. Also this dead thread and lack of intrest for the game says something about the games future to me.

EvB

It's really good though, I like the fact it's 3 V 3, it's a managable number of people on a map, plus it means you can get some nice flanking without alerting someone.

Top Bottom