• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey (Vita) releasing in NA October 30th

I was going to import the Asian version early on but other games started coming out so I thought I'd wait for the US release. I'll probably wait til next year now with all the holiday releases and Wii U to tide me over. Could get lucky and a Euro release will be announced by then too.

I imported it with that way of thinking but the bolded killed it for me. It was really hard to play when I had P3rd on my PSP there to play already.

Have you played Phantasy Star Portable 1 or 2? Comparison to that? I question people who enjoy Monster Hunter, no offense intended.

Alboreo

Get one! Join the vitabrotherhood :)

The AC Bundle with the white Vita is tempting (I love white consoles but don't enjoy AC at all, so that'd be a bit of a waste), but I really can't afford it right now. I wish I could say otherwise, because this is the one title I've been really excited for that's been announced thus far. I'm a big fan of Monster Hunter and I adore the Ragnarok universe.

I have to admit, Vita's holiday line up with AC:L, Ragnarok Odyssey, NFS, and P4G, etc. looks pretty damn great. Definitely better than the 3DS's and about equal with the 3DS's first half of 2012 line-up.

May have to check out how cheap I can pick one up for.

btkadams

I have to admit, Vita's holiday line up with AC:L, Ragnarok Odyssey, NFS, and P4G, etc. looks pretty damn great. Definitely better than the 3DS's and about equal with the 3DS's first half of 2012 line-up.

May have to check out how cheap I can pick one up for.

don't forget ps all-stars!

Question for those more familiar with this game. I know next to nothing about it. But from gameplay vids the fighting looks fun. Am I gonna go nuts with confusion if I pick this game up? Or should I be able to learn as I play no problem?

i'm trying to.

HOW RUDE!

Lol, to each their own. I am ready to slay these pink slime you guys call Poring. And I refuse to be cleric, someone else is going to have to heal because I can't be bothered when I am in the air.

Question for those more familiar with this game. I know next to nothing about it. But from gameplay vids the fighting looks fun. Am I gonna go nuts with confusion if I pick this game up? Or should I be able to learn as I play no problem?

From what I have seen it seems start at hub, equip character, take on a quest, follow the quest, slay some pink slimes and orcs and rabbits and whatnot, then slay an even bigger whatnot, return to hub, rejoice in your plunder, sell and buy goods and repeat.

Ken

Have you played Phantasy Star Portable 1 or 2? Comparison to that? I question people who enjoy Monster Hunter, no offense intended.

I played PSP2. It was okay. They both feel similar in that they are kind of fast-paced and a little more arcade-ish feeling than MonHun? It's been awhile though since I've played PSP2; can't say I really enjoyed it.

Don't get my wrong, I'm not a hater of all things non-MH. I tried to like PSP and RO but they just didn't feel right.

Want to pre-order this. Very excited about it.

Just wondering, is this more like Ys or like TiTs?

Also want to get the Tactics game off of PSN later in the month. Would be a nice companion game to it.
From what I have seen it seems start at hub, equip character, take on a quest, follow the quest, slay some pink slimes and orcs and rabbits and whatnot, then slay an even bigger whatnot, return to hub, rejoice in your plunder, sell and buy goods and repeat.
So it's a Monster Hunter/Phanstasy Star clone?

Hate to admit this, but I'm losing interest now. I was hoping for a action RPG like Ys.

Does it even have a good story or characters? Is it just a questing/loot game?

I really like Monster Hunter but I don't like how it's appearing in every new handheld RPG lately. Can't wait for the new Ys game to get localized.

EDIT: Yeah, saw some footage of the game and read more about it. I was really looking forward to this since my Vita is starving. But I will sadly pass. I wanted (was hoping) for a traditional ARPG like Ys. I don't think I want another PO/MH game.

Will still pick up Ragnarok Ttactics depending on the impressions and reviews.

That's it? No gorgeous fields to explore? Ruins to plunder? Towns to visit? I dunno now if I want.

Kazerei

Banned
It seems like Ragnarok Odyssey is somewhere between Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star, but maybe closer to Phantasy Star. The combat is fast-paced and there's a bit of a story. But the structure is essentially take quest, grab loot, get stronger.

I wanna be lazy and kite people with elements, pets, etc.

I think the Hunter is the ranged attacker class.

Edit: Wait, it seems like Mages have ranged magic, but Cleric is melee.

I played PSP2. It was okay. They both feel similar in that they are kind of fast-paced and a little more arcade-ish feeling than MonHun? It's been awhile though since I've played PSP2; can't say I really enjoyed it.

Don't get my wrong, I'm not a hater of all things non-MH. I tried to like PSP and RO but they just didn't feel right.

Eh this means I'll probably enjoy the shit out of RO. I loved PSP2 so this seems right up my allley.

Ken

It seems like Ragnarok Odyssey is somewhere between Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star, but maybe closer to Phantasy Star. The combat is fast-paced and there's a bit of a story. But the structure is essentially take quest, grab loot, get stronger.

I played the thief/dual dagger class whatever it's called and the combat definitely feels faster paced than MonHun. I could do combos, launch things into the air, continue comboing in the air and then slam it down into the ground...basically things that you'd never find in MH. :p

That's it? No gorgeous fields to explore? Ruins to plunder? Towns to visit? I dunno now if I want.

Well there are areas to explore but not a world map and there is only one town I believe. It's a very particular type of experience, one made infinitely better with friends online. So its not for everybody?

Also there are tons if videos out there for this game so see for yourself.

denshuu

I guess they went with the 30th because they want to hook all those people picking up Vitas with ACL. I dunno. I'm getting it though, it looks kind of like Monster Hunter, except fun to play.

October 30th
whew.png

denshuu

Edited because I totally forgot I already commented in this thread a couple weeks ago.

Shoutouts to that Liberation Bundle.

xclaw

I'm interested in the game play but it seems a little light and fluffy. Do the enemies get any "darker" or is it all just rabbits with lollipops you hack at?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm interested in the game play but it seems a little light and fluffy. Do the enemies get any "darker" or is it all just rabbits with lollipops you hack at?

That's just small enemies. Larger bosses and enemies are orcs, huge bird creatures and golems. Pretty awesome art style actually. It remains pretty bright in its art style, but the later enemies can be menacing.

Great game, btw. Played a lot of the JP version and loved it.

It seems like Ragnarok Odyssey is somewhere between Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star, but maybe closer to Phantasy Star. The combat is fast-paced and there's a bit of a story. But the structure is essentially take quest, grab loot, get stronger

Crafting is a big part of the game, it's the only way to get new gear. You get cards that each have a passive or active skill that you can equip. Based on your gear, you can then equip more cards that improve your stats and give you more abilities.

Iirc, your level only determines your base HP. Everything else is determined by your gear and your cards.

You can jump and air dash, which becomes critical for some of the larger bosses. I played a cleric and loved it. I didn't get to destroy a lot of stuff, but I could heal the whole party for almost all of their HP.

Shahed

This is something on my radar, but I'm not usually a fan of these type of party hunters and didn't like Monster Hunter. If I plan to play this single player only, do you think the campaign would be worth it?

Uthred

Like a few other posters, wondering if this is worth it for the single player? (Not a lot of Vita owners floating around the wilds of Ireland ;) )

Does the online require you to actually know people, or can you play with randoms?

I can probably find some vitabros, but right now most of my friends are XBox or PC only :(.

I ordered it earlier, but kind of considering switching over to NFS:MW depending on how the online works.

So I've decided that cards and an artbook are for little boys... I haven't heard mind blowing music from videos that I've watched either, so regular edition pre-ordered.

=P

Shinta

Banned
kumitanioka.jpg

Jayson Napolitano (best game music journalist) has a brief interview with Kumi Tanioka (Final Fantasy XI, Crystal Chronicles) about the OST of Ragnarok Odyssey; including 3 full songs to listen to with brief comments from the composer.

I didn’t realize that she was doing the OST, or that the mercenary edition of the game comes with the full OST.

Here are some of my favorite Tanioka tracks.

Final Fantasy XI
Gustaberg
Fury
The Republic of Bastok
Awakening

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Ice Mountain
Forest of Bygone Days
The Bridge Leading to the Tower

Code Age Commanders
Muphrid Palace
Mintaka Valley 1
Code Extension

Wait Tanioka did the music for this? Guess I'm buying the game. FF Crystal Chronicles is my favourite game OST ever and I'm a huge fan of her work on FFXI. I've got a huge nerdcrush on her.

Thanks for posting the interview.

Top Bottom