• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN names Journey 2012 Game of the Year

RagnarokX

Nice, It will make my own top 3 for sure.

If you can agree with the first three statements I'm not sure why you have difficulty with the idea of it wining Game of the Year.

Because gameplay is what defines the medium and should be held to a higher standard than Journey presents.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
This is the write-up for Journey GotY I produced, if anyone is curious about why at least one editor picked it:

Justin Davis - Journey is a truly magical experience. It is alluring and compelling and emotionally resonant far beyond its core components.

It feels urgent and important, even though the journey itself is leisurely. It’s emotional and intense, even though no words are spoken. It is harrowing, even though there’s no real danger or challenge. It is at times almost indescribably beautiful, even though its world is built using the same pixels and textures that comprise every other game.

Journey’s seemingly magical ability to enchant players with minimal and sometimes contradictory experiences arises, in part, because the game doesn’t contain one drop of cynicism. It’s heartfelt, in a landscape of game experiences designed by committee. It gently (but persistently) encourages the player to confront feelings of their own that they might not want to think about very often.

It feels effortless. Journey doesn’t shout “feel something!” at players by showing a heroic sacrifice or villainous act of evil.It has the self confidence to not jerk the player’s hand, saying “look at this!” at every turn. It lets players discover the world and discover what this adventure means for themselves at their own pace and in their own way.

It’s a spellbinding and daringly sentimental experience. It’s the most important video game of 2012.

Speevy

Banned
Point-and-click adventures aren't games. You usually can't die!

City builders aren't games. There's no one attacking you!

etc.

Well deserved. The less recognition given to aiming reticules, the better.

RPG: Mass Effect 3

LoL no.

mbNF2.gif

meta4

I would have given best multiplayer to Borderlands 2. Also lol at best RPG.

Journey deserves it! Kudos to TGC!

This is the write-up for Journey GotY I produced, if anyone is curious about why at least one editor picked it:

Justin Davis - Journey is a truly magical experience. It is alluring and compelling and emotionally resonant far beyond its core components.

It feels urgent and important, even though the journey itself is leisurely. It’s emotional and intense, even though no words are spoken. It is harrowing, even though there’s no real danger or challenge. It is at times almost indescribably beautiful, even though its world is built using the same pixels and textures that comprise every other game.

Journey’s seemingly magical ability to enchant players with minimal and sometimes contradictory experiences arises, in part, because the game doesn’t contain one drop of cynicism. It’s heartfelt, in a landscape of game experiences designed by committee. It gently (but persistently) encourages the player to confront feelings of their own that they might not want to think about very often.

It feels effortless. Journey doesn’t shout “feel something!” at players by showing a heroic sacrifice or villainous act of evil.It has the self confidence to not jerk the player’s hand, saying “look at this!” at every turn. It lets players discover the world and discover what this adventure means for themselves at their own pace and in their own way.

It’s a spellbinding and daringly sentimental experience. It’s the most important video game of 2012.

Very well put. Agree totally.

I'm OK with this. Not my #1 pick, but will probably make my Top 5 in the end. Was one of the more unique and original gaming experiences I've had this year, so I'm fine with it being rewarded (simple gameplay be damned).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
A terrible port of an incredible game < a terrible game?

Come on son, I expect better from you.

He just said Persona doesn't count because it already came out in the past. It's just a port. Why would Dark Souls be any different?

LQX

I loved Journey. Not the most fun I've had with a game this year but certainly the most profound game I've played in some time. Amazing and deserves all the accolades it has been given.

It feels effortless. Journey doesn’t shout “feel something!” at players

Couldn't disagree harder.

If people are getting subtlety out of TGC's games then frankly I don't know what to think. It's like a hamfisted "feel something" film reel.

It's funny, for a game that supposedly has made people feel such togetherness, the response to it has only made me feel more alone.

Jibbed

Halo for best graphics?

What 343i has managed on 7-year-old hardware is nothing short of remarkable. Sure, it may not beat the top PC games, but considered as a 360 game.. it's amazing.

I have a £1200 PC, and my jaw hit the floor when I first played Halo 4. Not a lot of PC games have done that for me.

RagnarokX

What's really weird about Journey is that Ico and SotC already did what it does, just without the online multiplayer aspect, and they did it with MUCH better gameplay.

GeoramA

So how will they do the GOTY Edition with the Journey Collector's Edition already out? Sony may have jumped the gun...

RPG: Mass Effect 3

Mass Effect 3 represents the culmination of perhaps the greatest gaming trilogy ever concocted. The developers at BioWare should be applauded for their careful, meticulous approach to story-telling and player choice, and the acute attention the studio paid to character development in particular. It's true that Mass Effect 3 is perhaps the least RPG-like game in the series--it's much more of an action game or shooter than the original--but it's also true that the hallmark of any great role-playing game is how well it throws together its plot, cast of characters, setting and game mechanics into something engrossing. Mass Effect 3 strikes on all of those points (and many more) thoughtfully, making it the must-play culmination of a seriously ambitious and engaging trilogy.

HY1UU.gif

that's awesome, good for thatgamecompany

I might hop on and run through the game as an enlightened in a a couple nights now that it'll probably see a decent influx of new players. I wont be too hand-holdy

What's really weird about Journey is that Ico and SotC already did what it does, just without the online multiplayer aspect, and they did it with MUCH better gameplay.

ummm, i love Ico and SotC, but no. While tonally very similar, Journey offers an experience that is intended for, and easily digestible in, a single sitting with near perfect pacing and a social element that (under admittedly ideal circumstances) facilitates one of, if not the most powerful emotional responses/connections in all of gaming. It is an audio/visual masterwork with a subtle but potent narrative and all the interactivity needed to provide a strong bond to the player character and a sense of purpose in the game world.

I'm not going to start talking about which of the three is the better game, but I wouldn't go anywhere near saying that Journey is trumped by the other two in all aspects.

Most overrated screensaver game ever.

More seriously. A pretty decent experience, but best game of the year? No. Frigging. Way.

boingball

Excellent choice, would not have expected that from IGN. I would have guessed ME3 or Halo 4.

Journey is also my game of the year.

Top Bottom