• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The worst video game to live action adaptation ever

Kinyou

No one mentioned Super Mario the movie?
Yeah, what the hell? I can't really get much worse than that.

tumblr_lx86q9g1kx1qb22s7o2_500.gif
Does someone have that ytmnd of his speech with the wrong subtitles? I love that so much.

Edit: found it

SmithnCo

Chun-Li is possibly the worst I've seen. (not by Uwe Boll... ugh, Alone in the Dark) What a trainwreck.

I like Mario for its early nineties "fuck it" attitude. Just a bizarre interpretation.

Haunted

Don't worry guys, Hitman Absolution retconned the movie so it's not out of character anymore.
:(

Silent Hill wasn't the worst video game to live action adaptation ever... But boy was it disappointing. =(
Silent Hill was probably (unironically) the best adaptation we've had so far.

Riposte

Street Fighter: The Movie is a classic and has so many good quotes.

People can hate on the RE flicks all they want but i find them all to incredibly entertaining films. Great movies? No. Turn your brain off, grab a bag of popcorn and have a fun time movie? Yup.

I haven't really watched more than 10 minutes of any of them, but one of the scenes I saw was basically a poor man's RE5 cutscene. Was kind of sad. They did not do Wesker proud.

The first Silent Hill, Hitman, and Prince of Persia are adaptations that I actually really like and enjoy (I can't hate on Olyphant, Kurylenko, and Knepper). I really enjoy these and find them rewatchable. The RE filmz are terrible but fun.

Max Payne was the absolute worst on such a scale that I was offended. Revelation was not much better. I haven't watched Boll's films. Other VG adaptations are just meh.

SmithnCo

I like Mortal Kombat. It's a good kid's kung-fu movie with some funny scenes. Doesn't have the trademark gore though, which was the big selling point of that game.

It gave Agent 47 a personality, which was the worst thing that could have happened. The best parts of the games are when he awkwardly talks to hotel receptionists with totally fake inflection in his voice. Or when he is killing someone with absolutely no expression on his face. Especially when he is dressed like Santa Claus. The game is too absurd to bring to real life.

And the part in the movie where two young kids are playing the (mature rated) game and he walks by. Just silly. How that didn't get cut, I will never know.

it also has agent 47 falling for a girl. (what a girl, I would even say, but still. Totally out of character)

That's true, I guess they needed it for Hollywood audiences. But real talk, the movie ha some really cool scenes if you take them out of context. Especially that cut scene where he's disguised as a doctor.

giggas

Prince of Persia was abysmal.

220px-Prince_of_Persia_poster.jpg

This one might be the worst because it had a Disney sized budget and some talented people behind it and it's STILL nearly unwatchable.

Legend of Chun Li is also incredibly bad, but at least we got this out of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VjdE9Y8VQA

Also, the og Street Fighter and Super Mario Bros have no business in this thread, especially SF. SF might be the BEST video game to film adaptation.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
It gave Agent 47 a personality, which was the worst thing that could have happened. The best parts of the games are when he awkwardly talks to hotel receptionists with totally fake inflection in his voice. Or when he is killing someone with absolutely no expression on his face. Especially when he is dressed like Santa Claus. The game is too absurd to bring to real life.

And the part in the movie where two young kids are playing the (mature rated) game and he walks by. Just silly. How that didn't get cut, I will never know.

I thought the Hitman movie was fine. They made changes for the masses, but I think it was still good. But I can see how hardcore fans of the game series would hate it.

RobbieNick

Probably one of the better adaptions believe it or not, is Dead or Alive. Full of T&A and lots of fights, just like the game. Yea, it's really stupid, but so is the plot of the games it's based on and doesn't stray at all from the original material.

Some of the worst ones tend to be CGI movies from the game creators themselves. The Tekken one was the worst. Focusing on just these two girls and only bringing some of the other fighters near the end.

Anyone see the Halo one that was direct to video "Forward Unto Dawn"? Not bad, actually.

Mortal Kombat is still the greatest game movie of all time.

Roto13

Prince of Persia was abysmal.

220px-Prince_of_Persia_poster.jpg

This one might be the worst because it had a Disney sized budget and some talented people behind it and it's STILL nearly unwatchable.

More like the game movie. Which isn't saying all that much.

dwu8991

Banned
I didn't know DOOM was a failure, until The Rock said so, at the WWE Hall of Fame no less !

Take that id software

I like Mortal Kombat. It's a good kid's kung-fu movie with some funny scenes. Doesn't have the trademark gore though, which was the big selling point of that game.

Maybe it was based on the Super Nintendo version.

It was a fantastic movie for its specific model. It hit all the right notes and succeeded in all the ways that its sequel did not.

Amazes me that 17 years later, Mortal Kombat is still the king when it comes to videogame adaptations. Had such high hopes for Resident Evil :(

MK Annihilation or Alone in the Dark...

There is absolutely no way anyone who has seen these movies can think otherwise. I mean, Chun Li had fucking Chris Klein, his dialogue alone makes that movie watchable (or at least youtubeable)... I am still trying to figure out which one is worse, but they are both undeniably the worst 2 MOVIES (not just video game adaptions) ever fucking made.

Probably one of the better adaptions believe it or not, is Dead or Alive. Full of T&A and lots of fights, just like the game. Yea, it's really stupid, but so is the plot of the games it's based on and doesn't stray at all from the original material.
NOBODY saw this movie but you're completely right. It was tonally perfect.

The only real mark against it is that they included Ryu but made him a chumpus.

As for best, these may not count but...

Animated Layton and the Eternal Diva - since I bet it was an outline for an actual game at one point

Live action Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - AKA cosplay: the movie AKA impossible to follow along if you haven't played the games.

It's kind of perplexing how Silent Hill wasn't able to transition well to film. It's already fairly cinematic, has a short story that would work for a movie, etc. Of course, what we got was a bunch of imagery from different Silent Hill games mixed with a different story. Didn't see it coming after the director claimed he was interested in being faithful to the source material. BS.

Top Bottom