• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross Fit Gaf.. Why should I pay $200 a month for CrossFit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slo

Just since people are so keen on bashing Crossfit trainers, I have news for you: a huge majority of personal trainers at any gym are shit and not properly qualified to train you. This is not exclusive to Crossfit.

Agreed. There are plenty of youtube videos of people being instructed to do squats on top of a bosu ball by "trainers."

I knew a girl who all of a sudden was a crossfit trainer. Just out of nowhere. Took a weekend or something training course.

I wouldn't have trusted her with a spoon and now she's telling people to put weights above their heads.

Sounds like a weekend sales training course to me.

Ok, I'm going to derail... but why the fuck is everyone suggesting P90x, insanity, and other dvd programs? How can they possibly be worth $200??? If you want to train like that, rig a pull-up bar, look up the basics of interval training on google, and go outside and sprint. I don't see the purpose of a $200 DVD set...

Those DVD sets give you a lot of good routines and diet plans that yes, can be obtained elsewhere, but it's all presented to you in a convenient package and unlike memberships, it's a one-time fee.

From there you can get tons of ideas for exercises. Coupled with some Youtube videos and discipline you really don't need a gym membership.

I find the greatest challenge is to keep motivated by doing the same exercises over and over again which is why I try to mix things up a lot but I won't ever pay for a gym membership that's for sure.

mrbagdt

in my opinion, 200 a month is a bit to pricy. i know it is NYC, and i guess everything generally speaking is more expensive due to location, but thats a lot of money to be shelling out to me. a normal gym membership is probably 30-50 a month where i live and i pay 170 a month for my wife and i at our crossfit gym. if a normal gym membership is 60-80, paying 200 for a CF affiliate might be reasonable.

you are paying extra for having an instructor and someone coaching what you are doing, not for the 'gym'. everyone is correct in saying 'you could do it yourself with a book' but i feel like you get more out of having a good coach watching your form and helping you get the movements down correctly. this is especially true if you dont have any background in weightlifting techniques and are really starting from scratch, which was the case with me.

if i didnt feel like i was getting good, correct instruction and coaching at my gym, it certainly wouldnt be worth it. qualified coaches are a must. there are 4 crossfit gyms in the area that i live- 2 of them are total jokes and are run by people who 'always wanted to own a gym'.

the amount of CF hate on neogaf is overwhelming and is why i largely ignore the fitness thread. its no different than the nutrition threads in that respect as well- everyone is an expert.

Burger

Ok, I'm going to derail... but why the fuck is everyone suggesting P90x, insanity, and other dvd programs? How can they possibly be worth $200??? If you want to train like that, rig a pull-up bar, look up the basics of interval training on google, and go outside and sprint. I don't see the purpose of a $200 DVD set...

The psychological & motivational aspects of P90X are pretty great. You feel like you are letting Tony down if you skip a day.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
the amount of CF hate on neogaf is overwhelming and is why i largely ignore the fitness thread. its no different than the nutrition threads in that respect as well- everyone is an expert.

We usually just don't talk about Crossfit unless someone else brings it up.

grumble

For $200 a month you should be getting something more than a warehouse full of equipment, and the trainers aren't going to show you the perfect form and have you correctly do it, either. The gif shown earlier is the perfect example of the problem with Crossfit

You're paying for the CLASSES. Small classes, personal attention, better classes than you'll get in a globo gym, better culture than at a normal gym. My sister goes to crossfit, she left the class early without telling anyone and the instructor emailed her later asking if she was okay. It's not the same thing at all.

I mean I disagree with some of their practices for sure but there is a value proposition there if you're serious about fitness and want to find others who share that passion.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
My friend hurt herself doing crossfit. Tore an arm muscle. My coworker hurt his back. Both told me how hardcore their workout was

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Do you enjoy joint replacement surgery? How about not actually learning the mechanics of complex and dangerous Olympic lifts that are intended to be done carefully with an absolute emphasis on technique, and instead being encouraged to do them as fast as you can with no regard for technique as long as the bar gets to vaguely the correct spot?

Does the prospect of this, and the encompanying indoctrination of Crossfit being the be all end all of fitness development, from Crossfit trainers who have spent hundreds of seconds earning their certification, all for the low low sum of an outrageously abhorrent amount of money per month that could be spent on twofold or more of legitimate training, get you hot and bothered?

Then you know what you have to do.

I giggled at 'hundreds of seconds'.

JohnsonUT

Just since people are so keen on bashing Crossfit trainers, I have news for you: a huge majority of personal trainers at any gym are shit and not properly qualified to train you. This is not exclusive to Crossfit.

This is true. But most trainers tend to stick to machines and dumbbells. It is far easier to teach proper form on these machines than it is to teach compound lifts.

The dogmatic cult attitude of Crossfit, which frequently disregards actual sports science and embellishes its own virtues, is a big part of why it's so criticized. From the Crossfit White Pages:

Tyler Haas conducts an interview with Greg Glassman. In it, Glassman infamously declares that Crossfit will allow an athlete to go from deadlifting 200 pounds to between 500 and 750 pounds in only two years, while only pulling max singles several times per year. Glassman has been asked on numerous occasions to retract his statement, but refuses. To date, no one has demonstrated that the claim is true. Also, indicates that it "inuits well" that being able to deadlift 250 for high reps at a high heart rate means that you might be able to pull 500 lbs at a resting heart rate.

Greg Glassman states, "the supremacy of Russian methods, sports science, and athletic supremacy has all the legitimacy of the high carb/low fat diet."

Mark Twight (record-setting alpinist and trainer of 300 actors including Gerard Butler) is lambasted by Greg Glassman on the Crossfit website, accused of stealing Crossfit's intellectual property. Twight's documents on the website clearly show that he gives credit to Crossfit, specifically Greg and Lauren, for ideas. Glassman claims that "Mark Twight's attacks on CrossFit risk the lives of soldiers and police." Additionally, Glassman states "they're [sic] best male performance is not a match for our best females in Santa Cruz alone." To date, no female from Santa Cruz has broken any of Twight's records.

Makimba Mimms, a victim of rhabdomyolosis after performing a short Crossfit workout, is ridiculed on the Crossfit website for his lack of fitness.

Man makes forum post on Crossfit forums asking if any other gay men do Crossfit. Thread is locked. A week and a half later, any discussion of sexuality is officially banned on the Crossfit forums and all instances of the word "gay" becomes censored.

Crossfit Games banner unveiled. Reads, "the strength and value of CrossFit lies entirely within our domination of other athletes. This is a truth derived through competition, not debate."

Noted strength coach Mark Rippetoe hosts final certification with Crossfit. Ends relationship with Crossfit. Crossfit forums ban posting any links to "startingstrength.com."

First Crossfit Games Open workouts are released. First two workouts involve high-reps of double-unders, power snatches, box jumps, and deadlifts. Alarmingly high number of achilles ruptures are reported on the Crossfit Games website and elsewhere. Andrew Wilson aggregates notable instances on the PMenu forum.

An article appears on gay.com about the author's experience at Crossfit Hollywood. Author says, The "athletes partaking in this endeavor were people you don�t think actually exist in real life." The word "gay" still banned on Crossfit forums.

Former elite Crossfitter Gillian Mounsey releases a very honest article on her dissatisfaction with Crossfit. Describes an epiphany that Crossfit was making her good at exercise, not athletics.

bjb

Banned
Obligatory:

PpoCr.gif

crawsfet.gif

O69eiEJ.gif

w88v.gif

funny-photoshopped-gifs-banned-hollywood-04.gif

crossfit-o.gif

mnannola

Instead of paying 200 bucks a month(WTF!) for a gym membership, just buy a few pieces of equipment and work out at home.

I am working on body weight training, so I bought a pull-up bar that fits in a door frame, made some parrallel bars using PVC Pipe , and bought a pair of gymnastic rings. This is really all I need in order to do a bunch of different exercises. You can do all of this for less than 200 bucks, and you can save the rest of your money for making sure you have a healthy diet for whatever your goals are.

You're paying for the CLASSES. Small classes, personal attention, better classes than you'll get in a globo gym, better culture than at a normal gym. My sister goes to crossfit, she left the class early without telling anyone and the instructor emailed her later asking if she was okay. It's not the same thing at all.

I mean I disagree with some of their practices for sure but there is a value proposition there if you're serious about fitness and want to find others who share that passion.

If you want classes like that, join a Yoga or a public p90x showing or something. Or better yet, an actual workout class. Not some program that condones stupid shit like:
FthisSintheA.gif

If they just worked on bettering the techniques, then I wouldn't have a problem with crossfit. However, I've never seen anyone get CLOSE to the right form when doing crossfit, and when you do shit form with oly lifts it never ends well.

MooseKing

Banned
If you are not trying to gain strength, then ya go for P90x. However, P90X gets boring, and it's not very sustainable or realistic in the long run.

Honestly, if you want to get in good shape. Get yourself a nice bike, and ride the hell out of it. Do Pullups and pushups every other day. You can look online for a decent program for them.

You will be in amazing shape in no time at all.

increasing your heart rate, doing cardio and lifting weight will get you in shape. It doesn't matter how you do it in that sense. People make fun of crossfit because they are doing it in the most inefficient, dangerous way possible. Stay away unless you want to injure yourself pretty seriously in the long run.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Squats are big lift movement and need as much as stability as possible to perform, like a flat surface. Using a bosu ball is not only silly, but ineffective and dangerous.

If you are trying to put muscle. But if you are looking to improve core stabilization and balance, I think doing squats with light weight wouldn't be bad at all.

Now this looks ridiculous and dangerous too.

twofold

If you want classes like that, join a Yoga or a public p90x showing or something. Or better yet, an actual workout class. Not some program that condones stupid shit like:

If they just worked on bettering the techniques, then I wouldn't have a problem with crossfit. However, I've never seen anyone get CLOSE to the right form when doing crossfit, and when you do shit form with oly lifts it never ends well.

Not every Crossfit gym is the same.

The one I went to followed the Crossfit Football program (http://crossfitfootball.com), a well put together program that emphasises strength and conditioning, and my coach, Matt, was a great trainer. Proper form was always emphasised, and Matt was more than happy to spend 15-30 minutes after a class going over squat/deadlift/power clean/etc. technique.

It was well worth the $60 a month I was paying for it.

If you are trying to put muscle. But if you are looking to improve core stabilization and balance, I think doing squats with light weight wouldn't be bad at all.

Why wouldn't loading weight on your back and squatting on the ground give you core stabilization and balance?

Slo

FthisSintheA.gif

See, what the people are pro-crossfit are saying is that there are some good and some bad gyms and instructors, and yes you shouldn't be doing stupid shit like in those gifs. Then guys like you post more gifs of assholes flopping like fish and say "LOOK AT THIS I TOLD YOU!"

To be honest I've never seen anything that ridiculous in person, but okay.

Chichikov

I've never seen the value in those specialized "core stabilization" exercises, and I honestly think they all stem from misunderstanding of the function of the abs and lower back (though obviously, the misunderstanding could be all on my side).
In my experience, none of it is needed for anything, compound lifts and running/swimming (or even walking) will take care of all of it and do it much more effectively.

Let me ask you this, what practical benefits do you think you are getting from those type of exercises?
What do you think will happen if you stop doing them tomorrow?

Why wouldn't loading weight on your back and squatting on the ground give you core stabilization and balance?
It does, very well even.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

It would at a much higher weight load.

I've never seen the value in those specialized "core stabilization" exercises, and I honestly think they all stem from misunderstanding of the function of the abs and lower back (though obviously, the misunderstanding could be all on my side).
In my experience, none of it is needed for anything, compound lifts and running/swimming will take care of all of it and do it much more effectively.

Let me ask you this, what practical benefits do you think you are getting from those type of exercises?

I've never done any squats in bosu balls, so I can't really comment if they work or not. What I've done is exercises that use stuff like med balls and swizz stability balls, and I've definitely felt that being out of balance engages the muscle in your body more and improves balance and range of motion.

mrbagdt

See, what the people are pro-crossfit are saying is that there are some good and some bad gyms and instructors, and yes you shouldn't be doing stupid shit like in those gifs. Then guys like you post more gifs of assholes flopping like fish and say "LOOK AT THIS I TOLD YOU!"

thats pretty much all these discussions turn into. pointless.

Not every Crossfit gym is the same.

Very true, and I think this is a real problem when it comes to recommending it or not.

The one I did a trial with was actually quite good and they focused on doing workouts properly. It murdered me pretty quickly. That said, this place was $140/mo, and that's still not worth it to me.

I've been told the other Crossfit place in town has considerably worse trainers and you're more likely to be injured due to some bullshit thing there.

I assumed most found these humorous and saw them as an exaggeration, people don't actually think these gifs (outside of the crazy pullups I see a lot of crossfiters do) are what most Crossfit people are doing do they?

JohnsonUT

In my experience, none of it is needed for anything, compound lifts and running/swimming will take care of all of it and do it much more effectively.

It seems there has been a trend in the last 7 years to add destabilization to weighted (and body weighted) exercises. You see it with all the Bosu and ballance board products and you even see it in football where players lift with chains swinging from the barbell. I am genuinely interested to know if there are any studies on the effectiveness of "working the stabilizer muscles".

Edit: wikipedia article for BOSU references two studies that show no difference between doing exercises on BOSU and on solid ground.

grumble

If you want to improve core stability, do heavy squats. Squatting on an unstable surface is not a good way to get a stable midsection, but squatting 350 pounds is.

If you're looking for balance, do agility drills.

A good article to read for everyone here:
http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie-20120504

fancimus

I've found that even merely printing out a good fitness calendar helps me keep a good regimen. I use the P90x calendar to keep track of my workouts and it's helped me a lot. That plus setting a challenge or goal to reach (e.g. "if I work out X times per week for a month, I win X prize") really helps...though for that you need a good fitness buddy or significant other to provide the incentive.

entremet

Best things for the core are heavy good mornings, conventional squats and deadlifts, and weighted crunches. Power lifters have the strongest cores of most athletes and that's what they do.

twofold

Very true, and I think this is a real problem when it comes to recommending it or not.

The one I did a trial with was actually quite good and they focused on doing workouts properly. It murdered me pretty quickly. That said, this place was $140/mo, and that's still not worth it to me.

I've been told the other Crossfit place in town has considerably worse trainers and you're more likely to be injured due to some bullshit thing there.

I think the problem is, a novice won't be able to tell the difference between a good Crossfit gym and a bad Crossfit gym.

I did a lot of reading up about Crossfit, lifting, and programming before ever stepping foot in a Crossfit gym, so I was able to evaluate the gyms I visited and work out which were trash and which were decent.

Most people won't be able to do that.

Chichikov

I've never done any squats in bosu balls, so I can really comment if they work or not. What I've done is exercises that use stuff like med balls and swizz stability balls, and I've definitely felt that being out of balance engages the muscle in your body more and improves balance and range of motion.
In my experience, feeling your muscle engaged (or sore for that matter) is a pretty poor indicator to how effective the workout is.
I don't do anything ab specific, I don't think I did a siteup this century, and my core has never hampered any of my big lifts.

But really, you should not accept advice from random people on the internet, go do some reading on this and form an opinion, just don't be dogmatic, the science on these things change all the time.

It seems there has been a trend in the last 7 years to add destabilization to weighted (and body weighted) exercises. You see it with all the Bosu and ballance board products and you even see it in football where players lift with chains swinging from the barbell. I am genuinely interested to know if there are any studies on the effectiveness of "working the stabilizer muscles".
As far as I know, there isn't, but as I said, the science of these things change all the time.
I mean, I could've swore that you must do stretching after working out or you'll get sore at one point.

Coldsnap

Classes is def not a good thing about crossfit. It's dumb. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, as a result they shouldn't have the same programming. I don't go up to someone in my powerlifting gym and say wow you are doing deadlift block pulls, I should do them too. I don't because he's probably bad at locking out his deadlift so is working on that, while I am slow off the ground so I do deficit pulls.

blackflag

Yes this is true. I don't recommend them either. I'd recommend starting strength and Rippetoe videos.

Slo

Pointless? How can you justify this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e1jcajW0gg

LOL

Okay, so here's the problem I have:

Somebody's pullup bar breaks in their living room: LOL MUST BE CROSSFIT
Somebody does a cartwheel and falls: LOL MUST BE CROSSFIT
Some dipshit does some strange hip level front squat: LOL MUST BE CROSSFIT
Montage of bad form deadlifts (some which do appear to be at crossfit gyms): LOL MUST BE CROSSFIT

Is "CrossFit" the new nickname for "being an asshole?"

blackflag

My friend hurt herself doing crossfit. Tore an arm muscle. My coworker hurt his back. Both told me how hardcore their workout was

I have a good friend that is a chiro and he told me that the vast majority of his new patients for the last few years are crossfit terms. He said its amazing the amount of back herniatians he's seen.

Slo

Classes is def not a good thing about crossfit. It's dumb. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, as a result they shouldn't have the same programming. I don't go up to someone in my powerlifting gym and say wow you are doing deadlift block pulls, I should do them too. I don't because he's probably bad at locking out his deadlift so is working on that, while I am slow off the ground so I do deficit pulls.

Programming is modified and scaled to the abilities of the individual. At least it should be.

Mr_Zombie

I agree with that. Crossfit (as in mixed workouts, high intensity training etc.) itself is fun; as is working with a group of people because you all keep motivate each other. However, this whole "hardcore" attitude ("if you don't trow up you're doing it wrong!") mixed with doing things ASAP (without paying attention to the technique) are very often a staple for Crossfit trainings and that's really dangerous. That's why a good and rational instructor (certified or not) is the most important thing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom