• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin'en Interview on WiiU Hardware: GPU "several generations ahead of Current Gen"

Shin'en define themselves as "Nintendo fanboys" and never developed a single game for a console not made by Miyamoto's company.

But you can believe them if it makes you feel better.
But the word of "Wii U is crap" shouting people on twitter is correct?

Shin'en proved themselves more than several times with their knowledge in the hardware business.

Furthermore, people should read the whole article, hardware comparisons aren't as simple as Dragon Ball comparisons, Son Goku > Vegeta, etc.

But that's basically what everyone wants, but it doesn't help any serious discussion. (which you can find here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=59858645#post59858645 for example)

-Eddman-

So developers must adapt to the system's custom specifications to get a decent performance?

It's cool that the console it's not as bad (graphically) as thought but from a dev perspective, what is the incentive to spend money on a dedicated Wii U team who can learn the custom architecture when the game is going to sell 10 or 20 thousand copies?

In this case, Sony did a brilliant choice ditching the japanese obsession to customize everything to THEIR needs.

oVerde

Banned
Kind of off-topic, but I wouldn't make a new topic just for it, but:

Can MS just hided anything on the presentation and press about Xbox One GPU a hint that they can beef it? Or I missed some part of the show?

On-Topic: ..well, ahead of THIS gen, since we ain't changed generations yet, and, not several by any means.

have these guys made a single game for PS3 or 360? yea lol

just checked the wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin'en_Multimedia

these guys shouldn't be talking about tech

What? They may develop for Nintendo systems, but they are more than capable of pushing prety visuals, so I think they do have the luxury of talking about tech.

They may be talking about GPU generations compared to what ps3/360 have, and they would be right.

Unlike some wannabe tech experts, these guys actually know what they are talking about. Also i don´t think any of the Shin'en doubters have their roots in the demo scene like Shin'en...

And for those who don´t know... Or don´t wanna know... In the demo scene its ALL about squeezing anything out of the machine. And they´ve been doin it for alot of years.

Some fairly embarrassing digs at Shin'en in here. The team there knows their stuff, and what they're saying here is neither fanciful or particularly controversial.

But, by all means, keep on painting them as Nintendo fanboys who are amazed by an HD console if you want.

Riposte

Maybe he is judging based on the Wii... after putting the Wii in the same tier as the Gamecube... and then being very lenient with the Wii U by putting it in the same tier as PS4/Xbone. See... several...

jmls1121

Banned
So developers must adapt to the system's custom specifications to get a decent performance?

It's cool that the console it's not as bad (graphically) as thought but from a dev perspective, what is the incentive to spend money on a dedicated Wii U team who can learn the custom architecture when the game is going to sell 10 or 20 thousand copies?

In this case, Sony did a brilliant choice ditching the japanese obsession to customize everything to THEIR needs.

Sony's business model is more reliant on third parties than Nintendo. But you raise a good point.

Nintendo had to weigh the benefit of "relatively powerful for cheap" vs. "easy portability" and chose the latter. It probably was the right choice given the price of the gamepad and EAD's history of being able to work wonders with underpowered hardware.

In any event, this increases hype for what Nintendo will be able to show at E3 BIG TIME.

Some fairly embarrassing digs at Shin'en in here. The team there knows their stuff, and what they're saying here is neither fanciful or particularly controversial.

But, by all means, keep on painting them as Nintendo fanboys who are amazed by an HD console if you want.

Acts like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.

Shin'en has proven themselves multiple times. They may not have the best art direction for character-based games but they know technology.

AkiraGr

Banned
They ARE weak, and it's not close to PS4 or Xbone, with the former being a full console generational leap over the Wii U. That's not "close". X1 is probably a 2/3 or 3/4 leap over the U.

Please elaborate, because here according to shi'en it isn't. But if you have proof otherwise please send some light to the matter.

Literally lol'd. Lolwut?
Are always your posts the L O L type because you don't support your argument very well and I cannot discuss further, if you please be kind enough to explain why are you laughting about.

ivysaur12

Banned
Well, people believe Insomniac for their "Wii U is current gen" when they only worked on PlayStation. What's wrong with Shinen coming forward on this? Those who worked extensively on Wii U share the same sentiments.

Because it doesn't support the sports team mentality that's created a console fanboyism. Some of these posts are fucking embarrassing.

Interesting article, though Shin'en will most likely be one of the few companies that do take advantage of the WiiU, so the point is a bit moot.

Did the developer of ZombiU use some black magic witchraft to make it look so good?

Why must everythig be overtly cartoony stylized now?

Mlatador

Banned
have these guys made a single game for PS3 or 360? yea lol

just checked the wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin'en_Multimedia

these guys shouldn't be talking about tech

They made this:

large.jpg

That game (Jet Rocket) is only (!) 40 MB in size! I think they know what they are talking about.

i-Lo

I want to see results. Simple as that. Nothing shown so far is characteristic that is worthy of latte being labelled "several generations ahead of current gen". Unless of course they're considering Wii as the base.

Wii U IS powerfull not Ps4 or Xbone level but close.

Good for laughs, thanks.

Heyt

Banned
Could some real hardware expert tell me how many generations are this graphics ahead of current gen posibilities? I really can't count them just by looking at their latest WiiU game.

These are the guys who fit this into a 40 MB download

They know tech

On that front:

‘Most people think that data size and the look and feel of a game are in a linear relationship. Beauty is not a function of data size. You can create beautiful words in 4kb that are hard to match by multimillion dollar games that are delivered on a 50gb optical medium.

We tend to keep our data size small because it simply allows to have much quicker iteration time in our games development. Smaller downloads are also a big benefit for our customers. We don’t really think about how to make our games as small as possible, it’s more a natural byproduct of how we approach games development.’

Shin'en are tech gurus who could likely code circles around a lot of big name devs. Many people in here are revealing their ignorance.

StuBurns

Banned
Could some real hardware expert tell me how many generations are this graphics ahead of current gen posibilities? I really can't count them just by looking at their latest WiiU game.
Well it's not even close to the best of either of the other two, so it's a minus number, if that helps.

pulsemyne

Anyone doubting on Shinen need to have their head examined. Very talented people tech wise. They know what they are talking about. Also nice to see confirmation that the WiiU has a tessalator in it. We thought it was likely from the GPU die shot.

So this is the thread where people go to reveal that they know nothing about graphics card generations. I'm enjoying all the ignorant posters claiming shin'en are idiots. Keep it up guys. Post without reading the thread. I'm in the middle of a reinstall of a server here at work and I need something to pass the time.

Raven77

The real question here is whether or not Nintendo's first party titles will utilize this apparent power.

LeleSocho

Banned
And here's another shin'en interview where they try to defend their only/main source of money...

Who knows why they are the only one who talks about good thing about the wii u hardware huh?

Top Bottom