• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How important is backwards compatibility to you?

Older games are better so it's a cool and convenient way to play "classics".

It's not a dealbreaker if a new console doesn't have it but it sure is nice if it's there.

phanphare

Banned
pretty important. it's important at the beginning of a console generation because it makes the transition easier. you can pick up the new console, play the games out for it, and still scrape up what you missed from the previous gen. it's also important in the long run for me because it's just convenient. I keep all my consoles and go back to them frequently so having a console be able to play full libraries of previous generations is really awesome.

Not as important as before as lot more games are getting ported to PC these days even if they are late ports. Especially Japanese games which were rare on PC before.

However, I do worry for ps3 exclusives since ps3 would be almost impossible to emulate on PC with the amount of work that would need to be put to make that reality, and Sony would never port their games to PC.

jimi_dini

Why not for physical disc based games too? Why download games specifically?

I already said that not having 100% backward compatibility is a dealbreaker.

I can somewhat accept it when the physical media is different (GBA carts, Gamecube discs, PSP "carts"). When it's the same type of media (sizewise) like for example DVD/Blurays, then it's unacceptable as well.

My point is - mobile phones can do download compatibility (there are no physical carts for mobile phones afaik), so everyone else should at least do that too. For example Sony still not even allowing people to play PS1/PS2 games on PS4 is just madness. Sony got a working software emulator. There is no excuse.

I would even say that backward compatibility is good for companies as well. I bought all sorts of DS + Wii titles after buying a Wii U / 3DS. Simply because I'm able to play them on the new systems.

gelf

Its the main reason I get the PC version if given the choice. I don't care much about any other advantages of the platform.

I never get rid of a system. But the less I need connected at one time the better.

Kucan

Fairly Important at the moment.

Since I haven't found anything on PS4 or XB1 that's both unique to the console and compelling to get so far makes the lack of BC mean that I can't justify getting either, even for an upgrade. This will probably change in the future though, we're only over 1 year in yet.

massoluk

Banned
I have not bought PS4 yet because I'm having trouble deciding between it and PS3 in the year 2015. So I guess it's very important to me.

Trago

I already said that not having 100% backward compatibility is a dealbreaker.

I can somewhat accept it when the physical media is different (GBA carts, Gamecube discs, PSP "carts"). When it's the same type of media (sizewise) like for example DVD/Blurays, then it's unacceptable as well.

My point is - mobile phones can do download compatibility (there are no physical carts for mobile phones afaik), so everyone else should at least do that too. For example Sony still not even allowing people to play PS1/PS2 games on PS4 is just madness. Sony got a working software emulator. There is no excuse.

There's that too. I already have a few PS classics I bought digitally, I'd like to play them on the PS4, but Sony wont allow it. It's a separate ecosystem, even though the brand is the same. Is anyone else not seeing the problem here? lol.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Very important. I would almost certainly already own a PS4 and an Xbox One already if they had it. In fact I'd probably already own a PS4 even if it just had PS One and PS2 backwards compatibility. It's also something I would happily pay extra for.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
backwards compatibility will never be a problem for me because I have the consoles for the games that I play.

the end.

Ok, but what if those consoles break down turning your games into coasters?

I can't help that the remasters are better than the current AAA being released. I hope this year will prove me wrong though.

shrug.gif

No lies detected.
Though I feel 2015 will finally be it: Zelda Wii U, Xenoblade Chronicles X, possibly Tekken 7, Metal Gear V, Bloodborne (for those that like the Souls series), eek!

madonna-living-for-love-music-video-mister-scandal.gif

Anth0ny

Ok, but what if those consoles break down turning your games into coasters?

Buy another one off ebay for cheap?

There's just as likely a chance the new console with BC will break. My launch Gamecube is still working, while my launch Wii stopped reading all discs 3 years into its life.

BTHR Zero X

If it causes problems for the new hardware then leave it out. I would rather have a complete working system without flaws then have a console with issues because of BC.

It's definitely nice when I get a system with backwards compatibility when I skipped the last iteration of the console. That's really the only reason I'd care.

mario_O

The only reason I don't have a PS4 is because it's not backwards compatible. I don't want to put away my ps3 yet..and I don't want too many machines sitting in my living room.

Its very important to me both as a gamer who enjoys games regardless of their age and as a consumer who sees each purchase as an investment towards indefinite future use.

I believe that Sony will introduce PS1 and hopefully PS2 backwards compatibility to the PS4. Sony has been the absolute best about supporting backwards compatibility and the implementation of retroactive cross buy support for previous purchases on older consoles indicates that they will continue to see this as a worthwhile pursuit. However, it may be something that becomes less and less important as evidenced by the eventual removal of PS2 BC from the PS3.

Choomp

Banned
Eh, not all that important. I've really only used my Wii to play some GameCube games and that's it. It's convenient and all, but won't affect my decision to buy a console or not, I keep most of my old consoles anyway.

Sapiens

Pretty important. I hated how Sony made it an issue with PS3's PS3 BC.

I like the way Nintendo does it for the most part, offering at least 1 generation back for physical media. It seems like a guarantee with them, and it makes the most sense.

Giever

It's important to me not as a consumer, but as an enthusiast of video games that methods are developed to get the games from all decades playable. Eventually most cartridges will be lost or destroyed, most discs will be scratched to hell or broken, most consoles will stop reading games properly, or will break somehow..

It may take twenty or thirty years but eventually it could be the case that some games are just completely lost to the sands of time. I'm pretty sure it's already happened for some early ones. :(

We really need to work on proper archival of this stuff. It's obviously harder to do than with traditional media because you need to actually 'run' the thing rather than just record it, but that's why I'm so appreciative of emulation efforts by people like byuu with bsnes (or higan, I guess) and the like. That solution is obviously going to become nearly unmanageable once we start getting into the more complex systems, unfortunately. :(

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Little to none. I've got a PS3/PS2 still and can go back whenever I want. Going back further finding other consoles is still relatively easy and I don't think I'll want to return to the Saturn of Jaguar anytime soon.

AndrewPL

I keep all of the old systems but....

As we go into a digital future I expect the next step to be a platform on consoles like steam or android where all digital games can run on the upgraded hardware.

I ditched Apple when they auto updated software to be unable to use your current os and provide no way of downgrading or redownloading old updates forcing you to upgrade hardware.

TheChaos0

It influences when I get the system. If PS4 was backwards compatible I would have gotten it by now, even if it was to continue playing PS3 games.

Radec

I don't care about it at all.

Sure there are games i want to re-play again since my ps3 died, but nah.. Not worth the bitching.

Chris1

Doesn't matter that much any more, it's only really important at the start of the generation really where there's not much games out, or you're forced to double dip on some games.

If the xbox one gets BC through streaming I'll be happy because I can then play all the 360 gwg's, but otherwise I'm not too bothered about it. I still have my 360 so I can play them whenever, but man that thing is loud as hell and the controller feels awkward now.

MetalRain

???
Is the PS4 really not powerful enough to emulate PS3 games? Certainly it could do PS2 though... (I got excited at the rumor a while back about them adding PS1/PS2 bw compat. in a firmware update but who knows if that will actually happen)

I don't really think it is possible. Surely there are some examples of PS2 emulation on PC, but those machines do have significantly better CPUs than PS4 has.

I hope Playstation Now enables those PS2 games on PS4 eventually. I would love to play Mercenaries once again.

lazygecko

Seeing as I regularly play games that are 10-20+ years old, it's extremly important. Thankfully it's not much of an issue on PC.

If the PS4 was PS3 BC I'd have one already simply because I'd be able to replace my PS3 on my shelf with it.

But as is my PS3 is much more valuable because of the massive backlog I have on it compared to the 2 PS4 games I'd play.

This is me exactly. I still have a pretty large PS3 backlog AND my entertainment center is cluttered enough add it is. I just don't have room for another console.

So many people saying bc makes the console expensive. Does it really. Having ONE machine that can play multiple titles seems pretty efficient to me.

redlemon

Backwards compatibility makes me much more likely to buy a system early in its lifespan. But other than that not hugely important.

Ossom

I really enjoy the functionality and play a lot of wii games on my wii u and gamecube games on my wii. DS games get a run out on my 3DS too.

I think it is not a vital function if the last gen titles are available on the new consoles digitally at a reasonable price. As I understand is the case on PS3/Vita.

I have so many digital games on my 360 that I have had to hold on to it to keep them, whereas if the Xbox One had backwards compatibility (including digital) I would have got one day one and traded in the 360. But due to lack of enticing launch titles I never bought one and ended up with a PS4 12 months later.

Extremely important to me. I like to have as little as possible and have it be as quick and easy as possible to play all my games in one place.

theecakee

It would be nice and convient to have, but its not a deal breaker.

Its more like "Really? You could add this but you don't because you want people to buy the digital releases?"

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I would have bought a PS4 already if it was backwards compatible. As it is, I can wait.

I think it's really shitty to not do backwards compatibility just so you can re-sell people the games they already own via HD remakes or releasing them on the online store.

Rezae

Pretty important. It's one of the main reasons I game on PC these days. As consoles move more and more digital, I think BC is going to become really muddled on them.

Its convenient, if i could play xbox 360 games on my xbox one it would be convenient, that being said i would probably still be too busy playing xbox one games and this would probably just make me more likely to gravitate to newer games

Conezays

It's definitely important and definitely lacking on PS4/XB1. It's a feature I greatly appreciate having on Wii U/3DS, and especially PC. Where else do your old games actually look significantly *better* over time? I can now play Mass Effect in 4K for a couple bucks on PC.

-Horizon-

I care more about BC on handhelds than I do on home consoles.
I'm not sure how to explain myself on that one, it just happens with me.

Ambient80

Pretty much doesn't matter at all. It's convenient, but my old consoles aren't going anywhere.

I'd much rather lose BC if it meant paying less for a new console.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. It's nice, but nothing too important.

Marceles

I don't really make that big of a deal out of it, I just hate reading someone say "THERE'S NO EXCUSE NOT TO HAVE IT" while expecting consoles to stay cheap.

I would pay a premium if I could get a PS4 with PS3> BC. I'm glad Nintendo held out as long as they could with the GC. I wish there was a way my physically purchased games could follow me to any upgraded system but alas, it is but a dream.

TheYanger

It's a nice feature early in a console lifespan when there aren't many games and there are still lots of gems from the previous gen to play, but I certainly appreciate NOT spending more when we're already dropping hundreds of dollars. I have my old systems still if I really want to break them out.

Top Bottom