• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6: Apex open beta arrives May 5 on Windows 10, system reqs revealed

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Ok here are some in game 1440p ultra shots & the same shots from X1.

586ForzaMotorsport6Apex.png

b0cScreenshotOriginal2.png

Looks pretty much the same to me. Higher quality reflections and generally better antialiasing on PC but the same assets. In those screens the PC has more aliasing on the car front for some reason. Looks weird.

Pjsprojects

Nice one!

Looks pretty much the same to me. Higher quality reflections and generally better antialiasing on PC but the same assets. In those screens the PC has more aliasing on the car front for some reason. Looks weird.

Agreed Forza is fine on X1. Project cars on the other hand is horrid,I did the same comparison last night and PC is in another class!

Qassim

It does hold up well on the X1, but I think there are a few quite large improvements, some examples:

1. LoD (example: check the near fence on the right for the quite large difference and in general, the trees in the distance, grass, etc): http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/172256
2. Reflections are significantly higher resolution: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/172257

Not so large, but something that stood out to me right away:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/172258 Check the wing mirror stem on the left, I'm not sure if that's a higher quality asset or the result of higher tessellation. Better trained eyes may be able to figure that out.

60fps weather and mirror updates are a huge plus for playing on pc too, it's not terrible at 30 but it's nice to see them so smooth.

TBH I think the game at low settings still looks lovely, turn10 knows how to make a nice looking game for sure, everything on top of that is mostly for IQ

Yea it's pretty similar.

The most noticeable difference is maybe the AF which is much better on PC.

But everything else is almost exactly the same except for the resolution bump that really didn't drastically change the IQ either.

At the end of the day the assets determine how good a game looks.

I would like to try this still though, no W10 here though.

Would love to see some Assetto Corsa comparisons personally as well.

dLMN8R

Anyone know how to force install an app from the Windows store?

I'm trying to install the game on my laptop. The GPU supports DX12 and is a decently powerful one (960M), I've also heard that people can run it rather well on weaker models so I thought I'd check it out. However, because MS thinks my CPU is underpowered, I'm not even given the ability to install the game from the store. I know it's not going to run great but I'd rather be the judge of that than a fucking store page. Anyone know how I can force-get it?

There are only a few blocks on the Store which prevent you from downloading it:

-You need Windows 10 with the 1511 update
-You need at least 8GB ram
-You need a DX12 capable GPU (also having an integrated GPU is fine)

There aren't any CPU checks being done. So if you can't download it, it's probably because one of the other checks isn't working.

Also, some customers have hit this because the Windows Update service is disabled - the service is required to be enabled in order to get anything from the store. So go to services.msc from the Start menu, look for Windows Update, and set it to "Manual" if it's currently disabled.

There are only a few blocks on the Store which prevent you from downloading it:

-You need Windows 10 with the 1511 update
-You need at least 8GB ram
-You need a DX12 capable GPU (also having an integrated GPU is fine)

There aren't any CPU checks being done. So if you can't download it, it's probably because one of the other checks isn't working.

Also, some customers have hit this because the Windows Update service is disabled - the service is required to be enabled in order to get anything from the store. So go to services.msc from the Start menu, look for Windows Update, and set it to "Manual" if it's currently disabled.

Thanks, I know for a fact that I pass the second two (8GB DDR3 and I know the 960M is DX12 compliant). I forgot about the 1511 update but I can easily check that now.

Windows Update shouldn't be disabled as I literally just reformatted last night, but I'll have a look anyway.

EDIT: Windows Update is running and I'm on build 1511. There must be an extra check somewhere that I'm failing.

LilJoka

If Assetto was available on X1 I would try it but imo it's not a great looking game so would expect the X1 to handle it at Max.

AC is beautiful in its own way imo. And it takes a fairly beefy GPU to run it like this.

On topic
I found that on Yas Marina there are a few spots that always stutter.
In night races my opponents shadows cast by my headlights are flickering, I'm not on the latest version of nvidia drivers though.
Night and rain take a fair bit extra processing so need to turn a few settings down to avoid any drops.

Fov in cockpit is way too high.

On handling: a lot of understeer?

Photomode suddenly started working in 4K as opposed to switching to 1080p, so have some 4K shots.

They're only .jpg because the original PNG ones were too big even for Abload, so if anyone wants the originals for any reason just ask.

Bsigg12

The games looks and plays incredible locked to 60fps with everything maxed out. Also the impulse triggers working on the Xbox One controller is really nice. It is easily one of my favorite features on the Xbox One version so it was nice to have them work here.

Pjsprojects

AC is beautiful in its own way imo. And it takes a fairly beefy GPU to run it like this

I run it maxed at 1440 and yes in certain lighting and camera angles it looks pretty good.
I just don't feel it's up to Forza let alone Project cars standard.

JJKillaNOLE

Neo Member
Sorry if this has been said before but does anyone know if there is a fix for my problem? The game will crash immediately after the splash screens when I load up the game. I can't even get to a menu screen before it crashes. Thanks!

what's the best way to downscale from a huge resolution with a geforce card? it's been a long time since I tried doing such a thing.

what's the best way to downscale from a huge resolution with a geforce card? it's been a long time since I tried doing such a thing.

If it's a modern card, go to the NV Control Panel and on 3D settings enable DSR. If you tick only the 2.00x and 4.00x you'll get two higher resolutions that map correctly to each pixel of your monitor (if it's a weird multiplier it'll look blurry on screen). Set the DSR Smoothness to something under 10% or so.

Now in most games that's the end of it and you can select the higher res in the options, with the driver scaling the game to fit your screen, but with Forza being only borderless windowed, you'll also have to set your desktop resolution to this new resolution, otherwise it won't let you go higher.

Korezo

This is paving the way for Horizons 3 this fall...hngggg

Can't wait for Horizon on pc. Even just a port of 2 will do.

It will be the cheapest and most effective way to play it with a proper wheel setup.

Forza looks average to me though, I don't find anything impressive about the graphics at all. This thread proved to me that its almost a direct port from the xbox 1 version.

Did it need proving? It's how most console-pc ports work anyway.

There are improvements, but if the devs don't bother (read: if the publisher doesn't care) you "only" get bruteforce improvements.

But still, it's a giant leap (including potential stuff like SLI, G-sync, 3D, VR, etc.). I care more about these and a solid port than some additional graphical features.

If it's a modern card, go to the NV Control Panel and on 3D settings enable DSR. If you tick only the 2.00x and 4.00x you'll get two higher resolutions that map correctly to each pixel of your monitor (if it's a weird multiplier it'll look blurry on screen). Set the DSR Smoothness to something under 10% or so.

Now in most games that's the end of it and you can select the higher res in the options, with the driver scaling the game to fit your screen, but with Forza being only borderless windowed, you'll also have to set your desktop resolution to this new resolution, otherwise it won't let you go higher.

hm alright thanks, i have a 950 so i'll take a look.

Pif

Banned
Sorry to be this guy, but I'm purely interested on tech side.

Does it surpass Driveclub, everything maxed out ?

Sorry to be this guy, but I'm purely interested on tech side.

Does it surpass Driveclub, everything maxed out ?

From where I'm sitting, yes.

Well, it depends.

GFX-wise, no: Driveclub still manages way better (meaning more impressive) weather effects.

They're two different games and approaches: one is sim-focused, with closed real-life circuits (mostly). So it's pretty barren as far as backgrounds go.

Image quality is much better on F6, but that's by hardware virtue, mostly. If we had a pc port of Driveclub, it would be the best looking game no doubt.

Makki

I had not played a Forza game since the 4th iteration, but I really dont think the AI used to be this dumb and aggressive... I'm glad I didn't buy an Xbox One for this game if what the opponents on this game behave like is the same for the console.

You cannot engage in a close race with the AI, because if you get close to them they behave erratically, braking more than they used to on turns resulting in crashes, or straight up not braking at all and flying off the turns. Also, when there's a lot of AI cars next to each other and you are making your way through, they never allow for a clean pass through the pack since they swerve all over the place and have a knack for pit maneuvering your car even if you keep a neat line....

The most offensive AI behavior though has to be the obnoxious way 1st place AI drives perfectly while the rest of the pack does everything in their power to keep you behind, resulting in races where first place is always 10 seconds ahead unless you engage in scummy AI tactics of playing bumper cars to jump from the back of the grid to the front before the first half of the lap.

It's an impressive looking game, but it has an awful play style.

I had not played a Forza game since the 4th iteration, but I really dont think the AI used to be this dumb and aggressive... I'm glad I didn't buy an Xbox One for this game if what the opponents on this game behave like is the same for the console.

You cannot engage in a close race with the AI, because if you get close to them they behave erratically, braking more than they used to on turns resulting in crashes, or straight up not braking at all and flying off the turns. Also, when there's a lot of AI cars next to each other and you are making your way through, they never allow for a clean pass through the pack since they swerve all over the place and have a knack for pit maneuvering your car even if you keep a neat line....

The most offensive AI behavior though has to be the obnoxious way 1st place AI drives perfectly while the rest of the pack does everything in their power to keep you behind, resulting in races where first place is always 10 seconds ahead unless you engage in scummy AI tactics of playing bumper cars to jump from the back of the grid to the front before the first half of the lap.

It's an impressive looking game, but it has an awful play style.
I love Forza, but you are right in every point. On "unbeatable" AI difficulty and low drivatar aggression it's bearable, but you just can't get to first place from position 16 or so within 3 laps, so this option is only valid in free play. I don't like the campaign races that force you to get to third place, but if you set your mind to NFS-gameplay mode and turn off the sim-attitude, they can still be fun on "highly skilled" or "pro" difficulty. Just be prepared for the dumbest mid-corner braking of the AI (don't turn off drivatar aggression and turn off sim damage for the campaign, it's more stupid fun then).

Adry9

AC is beautiful in its own way imo. And it takes a fairly beefy GPU to run it like this.

On topic
I found that on Yas Marina there are a few spots that always stutter.
In night races my opponents shadows cast by my headlights are flickering, I'm not on the latest version of nvidia drivers though.
Night and rain take a fair bit extra processing so need to turn a few settings down to avoid any drops.

Fov in cockpit is way too high.

On handling: a lot of understeer?

I have to admit at a first glance I though the first screenshot was real.

Prophane33

Wonder if I should even try with my i7-930 and GTX 760 SC. At least I have Windows 10 and 12GB of RAM. I generally play everything at 1600x900, but I doubt this will even reach 30FPS with my setup.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Pretty obvious, but those with the same RAM may have different experiences based on what they're running on their PC. My Chrome process alone is using 2gb of RAM right now.

People should disabled certain window services or have the exe exlcuded the game feels better with my windows tweaks vs them disabled/default. Had maybe a few hiccups on the first track with tweaks I disable them it's a mess.

Since this is Windows 10 I will leave some here.

MSI-X enabled on all devcies possible
Systemresponsiveness at 10 instead of 20 (do this to get more cpu power it helps.)
high precision event timer disabled in Windows, using proper ticks and left enabled in bios, best for most people.
Forza exe added to Windows defender this game still gets checked like most others so add to reduce stutter.
Do not let DWM (desktop window manager) run on high priority it will steal cpu cycles and want IO priority over the game.

This applies to most games Windows 7 and above

dLMN8R

Thanks, I know for a fact that I pass the second two (8GB DDR3 and I know the 960M is DX12 compliant). I forgot about the 1511 update but I can easily check that now.

Windows Update shouldn't be disabled as I literally just reformatted last night, but I'll have a look anyway.

EDIT: Windows Update is running and I'm on build 1511. There must be an extra check somewhere that I'm failing.

can you please run wscollect from the start menu and PM me a share with those files hosted somewhere so I can take a look?

LCGeek

formerly sane
Anyone who is suffering stuttering turn off "Shader cache" in the nvidia driver, for some reason it's bugged with this game and causes stuttering, the game hasn't stuttered once for me since turning it off.

Running on an SSD before anyone asks and a GTX 980 with 32gb of ram.

Seems that setting is causing more problems than it seems to solve. Thanks for the tip will do a hiccup stutter test and see if it smooths out the big ones.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Well, it depends.

GFX-wise, no: Driveclub still manages way better (meaning more impressive) weather effects.

They're two different games and approaches: one is sim-focused, with closed real-life circuits (mostly). So it's pretty barren as far as backgrounds go.

Image quality is much better on F6, but that's by hardware virtue, mostly. If we had a pc port of Driveclub, it would be the best looking game no doubt.

But, we don't have a PC port of DRIVECLUB, and thus, I stand by my statement. Forza Apex has it beat in a number of critical areas (and the weather difference is quite minimal, in fact). If we were talking about Project CARS on PC, I'd agree, but Forza definitely edges DC.

Qassim

But everything else is almost exactly the same except for the resolution bump that really didn't drastically change the IQ either.

The images posted here were 1080p vs 1080p. So there was no resolution bump in that comparison.

Edit:
Just note my second PC shots that these are taken from are 1440p down sampled,none photo mode.

Is this almost exactly the same? Not labelled for obvious reasons.

iisN4he.gif

Mohasus

At the end of the day the assets determine how good a game looks.

Aren't those Xbox one shoots from the photo mode? Because I'm pretty sure it isn't like that during the gameplay.

Driveclub has better lighting. Forza 6: Apex has the same lighting as the Xbox One version. And anyway, the PC version SHOULD be better than a console game. I like the look of Apex. The IQ is excellent and the rain effects are very good. But it wasn't developed for PC so it's not got all the bells and whistles it might have (not that Driveclub was but at 30fps it could afford better lighting).
I look forward to the PC Forza that is develped with the PC in mind.

I can't get my Elite controller to work with this game, I tried opening the xbox accessories app and it just tells me to connect the controller. I'm not sure how others got it to work

Top Bottom