• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Dec 6-13, 2009

Elios83

schuelma said:
Nope. This is software stuff.

I think its a good general tool for software. As an example, NSMB Wii actually had more orders this week than last. We'll see if its somewhat similar when we get the real numbers.

Interesting, so if NSMB went slightly up to 500k from last week, then FFXIII should be at around 1,5m.
But their numbers or based on what? Retailers orders for the week? So it's more about shipped numbers? In that case there's not clear correlation to actual sales, especially for a launch week, as in the FFXIII case.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
But I've got black friends! statement: While my Nintendo fandom often reflexively puts me on the side against PS3 in these discussions, let it be known that I own 30-something physical games with "Final Fantasy" in the title, too. :lol

Out of curiousity, I decided to check my own collection. I have 41 physical games with Final Fantasy in the name. That's... a lot.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Elios83 said:
But their numbers or based on what? Retailers orders for the week? So it's more about shipped numbers? In that case there's not clear correlation to actual sales, especially for a launch week, as in the FFXIII case.

I think it measures orders from consumers, not retailers.

Dalthien

schuelma said:
Honestly, if we bring the NPD discussion into this a bit, I think in general people don't care about the PSP as much as they care about the Wii, good or bad.
You know, that might just be the simplest and most appropriate appraisal of the situation.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ethelred said:
Out of curiousity, I decided to check my own collection. I have 41 physical games with Final Fantasy in the name. That's... a lot.

41!?

I have 1-12 (excluding 11 but including X2) in their first US releases plus the four gba games plus the three tactics games plus 2 psp and the first wiiware. Besides the three CC games and the four GB games what am I missing?

ethelred said:
I have more FF games than i do for any individual home console/handheld :lol

Elios83

schuelma said:
I think it measures orders from consumers, not retailers.

But orders from consumers can only be pre-orders or actual sales.
If it's pre-orders....why they're talking about pre-orders for games already released on the market? If it's actual sales, they should be an other tracker XD

ethelred

Stumpokapow said:
41!?

I have 1-12 (excluding 11 but including X2) in their first US releases plus the four gba games plus the three tactics games plus 2 psp and the first wiiware. Besides the three CC games and the four GB games what am I missing?

Try harder!

Nirolak said:

Oh, when I skimmed this I spotted Chocobo's Dungeon 2, which doesn't have Final Fantasy in its title in the US release... so I guess it might be considered either 42 or 41, depending.

schuelma

Elios83 said:
But orders from consumers can only be pre-orders or actual sales.
If it's pre-orders....why they're talking about pre-orders for games already released on the market? If it's actual sales, they should be an other tracker XD

Umm..not quite sure what you're getting at, but Comgnet has 2 relevant charts. One top 20 is for what I assume are preorders, and the game is off the list on the last day before release (I think FF13 had 2201 or something close to that). The second chart is for what I assume are actual orders for the week which is updated once a week (this is the chart which has FF13 at 2782).

onken

BlazingDarkness said:
How many hours from now can we expect some numbers?
Sorry for asking, i'm useless with different time zones etc

NSMB numbers came out about 8 hours from now.

Elios83

schuelma said:
Umm..not quite sure what you're getting at, but Comgnet has 2 relevant charts. One top 20 is for what I assume are preorders, and the game is off the list on the last day before release (I think FF13 had 2201 or something close to that). The second chart is for what I assume are actual orders for the week which is updated once a week (this is the chart which has FF13 at 2782).

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my previous post, my doubt was what do you/they mean by "actual orders for the week"? Are we talking about actual sales for the week in that chart?
The two charts are a pre-orders chart and a sales chart?

schuelma

Elios83 said:
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my previous post, my doubt was what do you/they mean by "actual orders for the week"? Are we talking about actual sales for the week in that chart?
The two charts are a pre-orders chart and a sales chart?

I believe so.

Opiate

charlequin said:
On the Big Fault-O-Meter, this comes in somewhere well below the fault I ascribe to both Nintendo (for failing to attract third-party support for Wii) and third-parties (for failing to develop for Wii.) Broadly speaking, expecting first-party software to provide the primary motive force for your system is simply a poor strategy unless you have the level of core competency at mass-market software development that Nintendo do -- and literally no one but Nintendo has that level of competency, which would suggest that no one but Nintendo should release a system, by this standard.

I pretty strongly disagree with this, for a very specific reason: third party affairs, while partially controllable by first parties, are still mostly outside their control. Third parties are separate entities which may choose to operate contrary to your interests even if you work very hard to cajole them. By contrast, all first party efforts are absolutely, 100% within your control, and thus any failure of said games are absolutely, 100% your fault.

Not at all to take away from Nintendo's struggles with third parties. Clearly they share a good deal of blame for that.

donny2112

Elios83 said:
Are we talking about actual sales for the week in that chart?

It is actual sales only from the Comgnet chain of stores. They are not trying to track nationwide sales, and despite efforts in the past to extrapolate that one chain of stores' sales to Japan-wide numbers by Square2005 and others, it usually doesn't work out too well. Think of it as a general measurement rather than exact ratios.

PSP and Wii:

PSP software from my database through November excluding Monster Hunter:

2005: 2.23m
2006: 3.52m
2007: 4.32m
2008: 7.01m
2009: 6.51m

Wii software from my database through November excluding Nintendo and Pokemon:

2007: 1.94m
2008: 1.42m <- LOL. Third-parties are so stupid on Wii!
2009: 2.66m

Edit:
GBA software from my database through November excluding Nintendo and Pokemon:

2002: 3.45m
2003: 4.17m
2004: 3.07m
2005: 2.12m

NDS software from my database through November excluding Nintendo and Pokemon:

2005: 1.52m
2006: 5.22m
2007: 12.4m
2008: 9.32m
2009: 11.4m

Dalthien said:
But you're right. It was discussed before, so I'm really just reiterating old stuff. So I'll just let it go.

Honestly, I'd much rather argue about the PSP than the Wii at this point too.

ethelred said:
I have 41 physical games with Final Fantasy in the name.

I have... eight. :lol

Opiate said:
By contrast, all first party efforts are absolutely, 100% within your control, and thus any failure of said games are absolutely, 100% your fault.

Right, but you're carefully eliding your underlying assumption here which is that Sony first-party titles not becoming massive blockbusters are therefore failing in what they are intended to do, which in turn carries the implication that the intent of first-party titles is to be huge blockbusters, which again in turn carries the implication that one's platform strategy should revolve around driving success through huge blockbuster first-party titles, and I don't agree that any of that is true as a broad rule.

Opiate

charlequin said:
Right, but you're carefully eliding your underlying assumption here which is that Sony first-party titles not becoming massive blockbusters are therefore failing in what they are intended to do, which in turn carries the implication that the intent of first-party titles is to be huge blockbusters, which again in turn carries the implication that one's platform strategy should revolve around driving success through huge blockbuster first-party titles, and I don't agree that any of that is true as a broad rule.

I'm listening. What possible motivation could there be behind producing games with lukewarm sales? That doesn't seem logical to me, but I'm willing to hear a logical explanation.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Opiate said:
I'm listening. What possible motivation could there be behind producing games with lukewarm sales? That doesn't seem logical to me, but I'm willing to hear a logical explanation.
I could see an argument being made that making a title with lukewarm sales is worthwhile if most of those sales are to people who are buying the console to play that specific game.

I don't feel Sony does that particularly well outside of the Ico series though.

Opiate

Nirolak said:
I could see an argument being made that making a title with lukewarm sales is worthwhile if most of those sales are to people who are buying the console to play that specific game.

I don't feel Sony does that particularly well outside of the Ico series though.

I would say they tend to be the opposite: they typically pick games in very safe, well understood genres. Spyro/Crash, then later Ratchet. Killzone. Uncharted. Resistance. Motorstorm. God of War. And of course, Gran Turismo. These are Sony's headliners, and they were all fairly prototypical entries in genres that were well established (although GT was brought in when racing sims were still quite new on consoles).

They do experiment on occasion (Eyetoy was their most successful of these, but Ico and I believe Little Big Planet also qualify) but Sony tends to play it very safe. Diverse, but safe. Which is the opposite of what you're suggesting, effectively.

ReyBrujo

donny2112 said:
PSP software from my database through November excluding Monster Hunter:

2005: 2.23m
2006: 3.52m
2007: 4.32m
2008: 7.01m
2009: 6.51m

[...]

NDS software from my database through November excluding Nintendo and Pokemon:

2005: 1.52m
2006: 5.22m
2007: 12.4m
2008: 9.32m
2009: 11.4m
Interesting. I take it Sony sales are too low to greatly modify the PSP third party sales?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Opiate said:
I would say they tend to be the opposite: they typically pick games in very safe, well understood genres. Spyro/Crash, then later Ratchet. Killzone. Uncharted. Resistance. Motorstorm. God of War. And of course, Gran Turismo. These are Sony's headliners, and they were all fairly prototypical entries in genres that were well established -- except for Gran Turismo.

They do experiment on occasion (Eyetoy was their most successful of these, but Ico and I believe Little Big Planet also qualify) but Sony tends to play it very safe. Diverse, but safe. Which is the opposite of what you're suggesting, effectively.
Yeah, I agree with you here.

I think the reason they're playing it so safe is because they honestly want their games to be huge blockbusters that push tons of hardware.

There were even reports that Sony was expecting Metal Gear Solid 4 or better sales for Killzone 2, which would put it at 4+ million copies. Ultimately they failed to reach that goal by a large margin though. The last report I had heard was that they had sold over 1 million copies, but I couldn't find anything on google where they announced two million sales, so it seems it never passed that mark.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Opiate said:
A few reasons:

1. To make money.. where there's demand for something, it only makes sense to fulfil it. This is the reason why Nintendo still produces games which are not Wii Fit, Wii Sports and Mario. The idea that for every Demon's Souls Sony has produced they could have a GT instead is a misnomer.

2. To provide a well rounded output for your console. Sure, everyone may want to buy PS3 for Final Fantasy. But there may be people more inclined if they can buy a PS3, Final Fantasy, Hot Shots Golf and Ape Escape. There's a group who'd like a PS3, Final Fantasy, Demon's Souls and The Last Guardian. etc..

3. Diversification. It might've looked silly to finance a studio which only develops quiz games just a few years ago when everyone was looking to have the next GTA, but at this point you can bet MS wishes they hadn't put all their 360 first party hopes in the PS2 demographic basket.

Opiate said:
I'm listening. What possible motivation could there be behind producing games with lukewarm sales?

Given a magical dial that says "lukewarm sales" on one side and "great sales, rise to heaven!!!" on the other, yes, obviously.

Given a situation in which a variety of different factors are balanced by virtue of obtaining in reality where resources are finite and strategies inherently based on the allocation of said finite resources, there are a lot of reasons to accept and plan around something other than maximal sales for first-party games. Assuming a third-party-focused strategy (which I think is pretty self-evidently not an innately foolish choice, given Sony's decade of dominant success with it) first-party games might not either be filling the tentpole slots in your release schedule or serving as the primary umbrella for certain genres to unfold. As a result, you are freed up to use first-party development to achieve other goals: earning "prestige" with low-budget "art" games (Oscar-fodder, basically) like Ico/SotC, filling odd gaps in your genre coverage, hitting up demographics (like, say, kids) that aren't being focused on by third-parties, tentatively exploring expanded-market opportunities (like with SingStar), bringing in a predictable profit through series with frequent iterations and predictable performance, etc.

In situations where you've "got it" -- as is the case with GT, unquestionably the king of its genre -- it does indeed make sense to "flaunt it" and earn as high a rate of sales as possible, but I don't think failing to develop a first-party stable of guaranteed blockbusters represents an innate strategic failure on Sony's part.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
charlequin said:
Given a magical dial that says "lukewarm sales" on one side and "great sales, rise to heaven!!!" on the other, yes, obviously.

Given a situation in which a variety of different factors are balanced by virtue of obtaining in reality where resources are finite and strategies inherently based on the allocation of said finite resources, there are a lot of reasons to accept and plan around something other than maximal sales for first-party games. Assuming a third-party-focused strategy (which I think is pretty self-evidently not an innately foolish choice, given Sony's decade of dominant success with it) first-party games might not either be filling the tentpole slots in your release schedule or serving as the primary umbrella for certain genres to unfold. As a result, you are freed up to use first-party development to achieve other goals: earning "prestige" with low-budget "art" games (Oscar-fodder, basically) like Ico/SotC, filling odd gaps in your genre coverage, hitting up demographics (like, say, kids) that aren't being focused on by third-parties, tentatively exploring expanded-market opportunities (like with SingStar), bringing in a predictable profit through series with frequent iterations and predictable performance, etc.

In situations where you've "got it" -- as is the case with GT, unquestionably the king of its genre -- it does indeed make sense to "flaunt it" and earn as high a rate of sales as possible, but I don't think failing to develop a first-party stable of guaranteed blockbusters represents an innate strategic failure on Sony's part.
I agree with this assessment in a few ways, but I disagree with it in a few others.

1.) While price is a factor, the real driving force behind Nintendo's and Microsoft's success this generation is their first party blockbusters. When third parties started going heavily multiplatform, Sony had no real first party exclusives to fall back on and help save their hardware sales. It's worth noting that Sony's success with the third party model in previous generations also heavily relied on many of those third party titles being exclusive, which in a way made them act like first party titles in terms of selling the hardware.

2.) Sony has lost almost $5 billion this generation. While this was largely caused by hardware, having even 1 or 2 more major blockbuster series could help to offset that and give them extra money to spend on even more niche titles.

While I think that exploring these other business avenues are a good idea for the reasons you stated, I feel that ultimately Sony swung far too heavily in that direction, and was left without the blockbusters it really needed to help it in this generation. While I think Sony is still doing a good job filling niche roles, I feel they are failing as a whole because they only completed half of their objectives as a first party publisher, and that doing so has cost them a lot of success. I also feel that these niche roles are best served when supported by these major blockbusters, as it increases the general amount of people who own the console, and thus these niche titles can be even more successful in their goals. If no one buys the consoles in the first place, the niche can never get going, and we can actually see the effects of this in both the number of titles produced and the sales of Sony's casual titles this generation versus the last.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Normal 52-week year accounts for 364 days, so not a perfect match for a 365/366-day reality. This means sometimes a 53rd week must sometimes slip in, though my method of assigning weeks to a year (whichever year a week has at least 4 days in) isn't the only one.

If I were in charge, every year would have 52 weeks, broken into 13 months of exactly 28 days each. Every year would have an extra day (two during leap years) tacked onto the end that would constitute new years eve. That (those) day(s) would not be (a) day(s) of any week. The 13th month would come between August and September, and would have a name derived from the number six - possibly reviving the name 'Sextillis'. This would greatly simplify things. Holidays (birthdays, anniversaries) would always fall on the same day of the week.

Now you know what I think about when I can't sleep.

ReyBrujo

test_account said:
Regarding "Sony sales", do you mean software or hardware?
Software, of course. Looks like he dismissed all the million sellers from the PSP list, and all the first party from the DS. However, there are huge third party sellers in the DS list (DQIX, for example), so it would be better if we stop making the difference between "PSP third party" and "Monster Hunter", as if it were a special case. So, personally, it is better to dismiss first party sales and include MH for PSP.

test_account

XP-39C²
ReyBrujo said:
Software, of course. Looks like he dismissed all the million sellers from the PSP list, and all the first party from the DS. However, there are huge third party sellers in the DS list (DQIX, for example), so it would be better if we stop making the difference between "PSP third party" and "Monster Hunter", as if it were a special case. So, personally, it is better to dismiss first party sales and include MH for PSP.
Ah ok. I first wondered if you ment that the "Sony sales" were about the PSP hardware sales, that the PSP hardware sales were too low to greatly modify the 3rd party sales.

I then wanted to say that i personally think that both the PSP and the DS has a big enough installbase for 3rd party games to sell good (maybe the DS has a bigger chance compared to the PSP since the DS installbase is several of millions larger compared to the PSP), but that it depends on which 3rd party game that is being released, since some 3rd party games has a bigger chance to sell more copies compared to other 3rd party games, like Dragon Quest IX for the DS would most likely have a bigger chance to sell more copies compared to for example Persona 3 Portable for the PSP. But if you ment the software sales, then i didnt needed to say this :) I just wanted to ask to be sure that i understood what you ment :)

Yes, that is true, Dragon Quest IX alone has sold over 4 million copies. I also think that the Monster Hunter games might be included if for example Dragon Quest IX is included, since both are 3rd party games that has sold a lot :)

EDIT: I added some text.

Opiate

charlequin said:

The suggestion, here, is that Sony is sacrificing significant resources in their first party development to fund third party relations. From what I can tell, this hardly seems to be the case: the last I saw, Sony spent more on first party development than either Nintendo or Microsoft.

Put differently, I'm not suggesting that a third party focus is necessarily bad. What I am suggesting instead is that whatever resources Sony does spend on first party (and again, I actually believe this is more than either Microsoft or Nintendo), should be spent wisely, funding highly successful software. That doesn't seem to have been the case to me.

Nirolak said:
1.) While price is a factor, the real driving force behind Nintendo's and Microsoft's success this generation is their first party blockbusters.

Sure. And last generation, Sony was the absolute unrivalled king of all home gaming while Microsoft and Nintendo's (still dramatically more powerful) first-party lineups were speedbumps, entirely pointless in terms of trends in the broader console space.

That's my point. When you look at the difference from last generation to this generation, you see essentially no change in Sony's relative position in terms of first-party development relative to, say, Nintendo, yet a complete reversal of fortunes between the two companies -- that suggests that the overall balance of first vs. third party support is not really a vital characteristic of success compared to the other factors that actually make the difference between a successful console and a failure.

(And yes, I do think this is a bit of an asymmetric issue -- Nintendo is suffering far more for being a victor with poor third-party support than Sony did from having a mediocre first-party when they were on top, I would argue because being first-party reliant introduces too much of a single-point-of-failure into your system so it's easier to screw up than a successful third-party ecosystem is.)

test_account

XP-39C²
pseudocaesar said:
At least I have FFXIII numbers to look forward to after work... do I? When does Hardware leak?
The hardware numbers usually leak on Wedensdays, but i hope that when/if Famitsu writes how much that FFXIII sold in it's first week that they also mention how much PS3 hardware that was sold :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
charlequin said:
Sure. And last generation, Sony was the absolute unrivalled king of all home gaming while Microsoft and Nintendo's (still dramatically more powerful) first-party lineups were speedbumps, entirely pointless in terms of trends in the broader console space.

That's my point. When you look at the difference from last generation to this generation, you see essentially no change in Sony's relative position in terms of first-party development relative to, say, Nintendo, yet a complete reversal of fortunes between the two companies -- that suggests that the overall balance of first vs. third party support is not really a vital characteristic of success compared to the other factors that actually make the difference between a successful console and a failure.

(And yes, I do think this is a bit of an asymmetric issue -- Nintendo is suffering far more for being a victor with poor third-party support than Sony did from having a mediocre first-party when they were on top, I would argue because being first-party reliant introduces too much of a single-point-of-failure into your system so it's easier to screw up than a successful third-party ecosystem is.)
What we do see though is a significant different in Sony's exclusive line-up. Sony's first party never had to make blockbusters because Sony convinced third parties to do make blockbusters exclusive to their system.

Since Sony no longer seems to be able to do this, I feel that their first party has to be able to pick up the slack. If Sony could convince third parties to make blockbuster titles for them exclusively, then I would agree with you that they would no longer need their first party to do so, but this just doesn't seem to be the reality of the market any longer.

To look at this from another perspective, while I agree that the cost of the hardware was a very large part of Sony's failure this generation, I don't feel that we can blame all their problems entirely upon it, so on some level, Sony must have failed from a software perspective.

Opiate

I guess I don't see why this seems to be set up as an either-or scenario: either you're first party reliant or third party reliant.

Why can't you be "reliant" on both? In effect, this should be the most fail safe system of all: even if all third parties happen to fail simultaneously, you still have your first party to fall back on. Why can't you have huge blockbusters of your own, coupled with huge third party blockbusters?

The "limited resources" argument would be far more persuasive if Sony wasn't spending so much gosh darn money on their first party studios. They're spending more than Nintendo and even more than EA -- at least law I saw. "Limited spending" simply hasn't been Sony's problem. They have always spent hugely on practically everything: hardware, software, R&D.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Opiate said:
I guess I don't see why this seems to be set up as an either-or scenario: either you're first party reliant or third party reliant.

Why can't you be "reliant" on both? In effect, this should be the most fail safe system of all: even if all third parties happen to fail simultaneously, you still have your first party to fall back on. Why can't you have huge blockbusters of your own, coupled with huge third party blockbusters?
I think that would probably be the most successful approach.

It is also sort of the approach Microsoft is using. They have quite a few blockbusters of their own, but they also buy some exclusives (or at least their DLC) from third parties and also market other third party titles to try and associate them with the Xbox 360 despite them being multiplatform.

Then they're also making some niche titles as well with studios like Rare, BigPark and Natal. These might not all be astoundingly successful, but they are at least trying to fulfill all fronts.

Though on the same note Sony is failing on the blockbuster front, you could easily argue that Microsoft is failing on the casual front.

Opiate

I agree, that's closer. I'm not sure I'd say Microsoft has a huge bevy of blockbusters yet though: it's basically Halo and (Gears), which could in theory become third party whenever Epic so chose. Then they have a host of upper-mid tier franchises like Fable and Forza, which sell 2-3m (i.e. half of Gears, or 1/3 of Halo).

However, they've managed to create that list in about 1/2 the amount of time that Sony's had. So, the fact that Microsoft already has a larger list of blockbusters than Sony does is rather impressive. It's just that their both so far behind Nintendo in this regard that they seem comparatively closer to each other. I think Halo is about as big as 3D-Mario now: both Halo 3 and Galaxy sold 8-9 million, last I saw. Halo is by far Microsoft's biggest franchise, while I'm not even sure 3D Mario is even in Nintendo's top 5 anymore (Nintendogs, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Age, Pokemon. And others. So yeah, not even in the top 5).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Opiate said:
I agree, that's closer. I'm not sure I'd say Microsoft has a huge bevy of blockbusters yet though: it's basically Halo and (Gears), which could in theory become third party whenever Epic so chose. Then they have a host of upper-mid tier franchises like Fable and Forza, which sell 2-3m (i.e. half of Gears, or 1/3 of Halo).

However, they've managed to create that list in about 1/2 the amount of time that Sony's had. So, the fact that Microsoft already has a larger list of blockbusters than Sony does is rather impressive, although I'd argue neither is remotely close to Nintendo.
That's fair, but they are selling a bit better than Sony's blockbusters.

Microsoft hasn't quite managed to complete either fronts of the dual approach, so it'll be interesting to see if they can come up with any major successes in their 2010 push on both fronts.

Opiate

Microsoft's a company that learns fast. They don't often move rapidly, but they also rarely ever take steps backward, and that's been true in gaming as well. I don't feel like they've catapulted forward in to stardom like Nintendo or Sony have done (NES, PS1, Wii), but they've gradually improved in virtually every category: first party sales, third party sales, hardware sales, revenue, profit. And then smaller "categories," like number of blockbusters. Sony's been stuck on one for over a decade, and Microsoft's already up to two.

Microsoft always seems... relentless to me. In any industry I've followed them in. They learn fast and rarely make the same mistake twice.

Opiate said:

However, they've managed to create that list in about 1/2 the amount of time that Sony's had. So, the fact that Microsoft already has a larger list of blockbusters than Sony does is rather impressive. It's just that their both so far behind Nintendo in this regard that they seem comparatively closer to each other. I think Halo is about as big as 3D-Mario now: both Halo 3 and Galaxy sold 8-9 million, last I saw. Halo is by far Microsoft's biggest franchise, while I'm not even sure 3D Mario is even in Nintendo's top 5 anymore (Nintendogs, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Brain Age, Pokemon. And others. So yeah, not even in the top 5).

Opiate said:
Microsoft's a company that learns fast. They don't often move rapidly, but they also rarely ever take steps backward, and that's been true in gaming as well. I don't feel like they've catapulted forward in to stardom like Nintendo or Sony have done (NES, PS1, Wii), but they've gradually improved in virtually every category: first party sales, third party sales, hardware sales, revenue, profit. And then smaller "categories," like number of blockbusters. Sony's been stuck on one for over a decade, and Microsoft's already up to two.

Microsoft always seems... relentless to me. In any industry I've followed them in. They learn fast and rarely make the same mistake twice.

As you said it yourself, Gears is not a MS 1st party franchise, so I don't know why you listed that.....and I don't wanna create a list wars but SCE has a lot more upper-mid tier franchises than MS, I don't think it's even close in that aspect IMO (unless if you possibly include exclusive 3rd party games like you did Gears?).

In terms of blockbusters, I see it as Sony having 2 (GOW, GT) and MS has 1 (Halo), considering how long they've been in the games industry that seems rather small on both sides (since '94 for SCE and 2001 for MS IIRC) and they both look rather insignificant compared to Nintendo's list of blockbuster titles.

onken

AranhaHunter said:
In terms of blockbusters, I see it as Sony having 2 (GOW, GT) and MS has 1 (Halo), considering how long they've been in the games industry that seems rather small on both sides (since '94 for SCE and 2001 for MS IIRC) and they both look rather insignificant compared to Nintendo's list of blockbuster titles.

GoW's sales are really nothing to write home about.

Thanks Donny for the numbers, GBA wasn't great when it came to third party games. Donny do you have the third party numbers for the PS2 for it's first 4 years.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
JoshuaJSlone said:
PROBLEM: 2009 has a week 53. :lol
Code:
year fam mc
1995  52
1996  52
1997  52
1998  52
1999  52
2000  53
2001  52
2002  52 52
2003  52 53
2004  52 52
2005  52 52
2006  53 52
2007  52 52
2008  52 52

Famitsu will have 52 weeks for 2009 and there is a possibility that Media Create will have 53 weeks. geimin.net also has 52 weeks for famitsu at their 2009 preview.

Top Bottom