• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The music is fantastic. Can't wait for this game.

The tearing in the demo is bad but really guys, something like that bothers you so much that you cant play. When I start playing I dont notice anything, I am too into the action to care that there is quick line on the screen. I have never cared about graphical issues much as long as the game plays fine and this game plays extremely well. Never once in the demo has screen tearing effected my ability to kill enemies.

Dude, you are overreaching.

It is tearing nearly 1 of every 2 frames. It affects gameplay.

The music is fantastic. Can't wait for this game.

The tearing in the demo is bad but really guys, something like that bothers you so much that you cant play. When I start playing I dont notice anything, I am too into the action to care that there is quick line on the screen. I have never cared about graphical issues much as long as the game plays fine and this game plays extremely well. Never once in the demo has screen tearing effected my ability to kill enemies.

Seriously?

Seik

Banned

Each time I replay that demo I'm stunned how much tearing there is. :/

I really really hope there'll be less to none in the final version, I don't mind a little bit of tearing but this is ridiculous, big turn off.

At least if it fails on consoles I'll get it later on PC. Still, that would be sad.

I am playing it right now, its effecting nothing except you see a line flash across the screen. Nothing changes you can still see the environment just fine, you can shoot anything just fine, the controls dont take a hit.

If it effects gameplay please explain it to me in video game terms what is actually happening where you cant control your character correctly because of this cause I have played this a ton of times and it plays just fine. I am asking cause I honestly do not understand. I get being distracted by it, clearly it bothers people, but effecting the actual game, no.

Gamejunky

Really disappointed with the demo, Played Chris and Leon's stages and it's definitely not Resident Evil anymore. Chris was able to gun down waves of Zombies with a machine gun and Leon was 10 minutes of walking forward until I finally shot a few zombies, then it just ended. I miss going around actually looking for items with the occasional puzzle. Didn't even bother playing Jake's part as I was pretty disgusted with the demo already. Despite all this I still might but RE6 when it comes out, only because i'm a huge Resident Evil fan. Really hoping the final product is a lot different, even though I know it's just a straight shooter anymore :(

Not defending, there is screen tearing. I am asking how is it something that actually effects gameplay and is not just something that is an annoyance that some people get bothered more by than others.

So Wesker, based on the controls and overall feel of the demo how do you feel that RE 6 Mercenaries will turn out? Do you think it will be better than 5 (which was great)?

So Wesker, based on the controls and overall feel of the demo how do you feel that RE 6 Mercenaries will turn out? Do you think it will be better than 5 (which was great)?

Oh its going to be crazy awesome. There is so many more options to attack in this game than RE4/5. You got your dodge moves, counters, melee, auto lock on quick fire. Plus you get a character like Jake that has a totally different move set with his punching abilities to add some nice variety to it all. Everyone moves much faster, you can almost free run where you auto climb or slide over obstacles making maneuvering the maps so much easier.

Mercs is going to be fantastic and should be the best in the series. The biggest issue will be following all the action with this camera, so damn close. Oh and maybe on higher difficulties the enemies with guns actually become dangerous requiring you to use cover, that would suck. Mercs should never have cover. We will see how that turns out but this games action has way more potential than any other RE game.

Oh its going to be crazy awesome. There is so many more options to attack in this game than RE4/5. You got your dodge moves, counters, melee, auto lock on quick fire. Plus you get a character like Jake that has a totally different move set with his punching abilities to add some nice variety to it all. Plus everyone moves much faster, you can almost free run where you auto climb or slide over obstacles making maneuvering the maps so much easier.

Mercs is going to be fantastic and should be the best in the series. The biggest issue will be following all the action with this camera, so damn close. Oh and maybe on higher difficulties the enemies with guns actually become dangerous requiring you to use cover, that would suck. Mercs should never have cover. We will see how that turns out but this games action has way more potential than any other RE game.

Nice. Sounds like a day 1 buy to me!

Jawmuncher

Just a question... what model xbox are you using?

I noticed I get this same problem on my japanese 2006 model but it works perfectly on my slim.

And what firmware are you using? My 06 xbox isn't fully updated so that might also be the case.

I'm using a slim as well, but I think like you said it's perhaps because my 360 isn't fully updated. Is there any way to update it without being on XBL?

Zabka

Finally downloaded the demo, started up the Leon chapter, turned it off in under 10 minutes.

After 70 hours of some of the worst screen tearing I can remember in DD I just couldn't take it in this game.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Not defending, there is screen tearing. I am asking how is it something that actually effects gameplay and is not just something that is an annoyance that some people get bothered more by than others.
Because tearing is disorienting for a lot of people.

For some people, it's more than disorienting. It gives me severe headaches and I think Evilore even got a seizure or something from the tearing in God of War 2, for example.

Screen tearing is awful, there's no way around it.

I never noticed it in RE5, but apparently it was bad.

Playing the RE6 demo literally makes me sick during the chris demo. The disorienting screen and the tearing screw with my eyes so bad.

Screen tearing is awful, there's no way around it.

I never noticed it in RE5, but apparently it was bad.

Playing the RE6 demo literally makes me sick during the chris demo. The disorienting screen and the tearing screw with my eyes so bad.

Yep, it’s terrible even in 720p. The more I think about it the more I feel that this is the Ninja Gaiden 3 of the Resident Evil series. **shudders**

Because tearing is disorienting for a lot of people.

For some people, it's more than disorienting. It gives me severe headaches and I think Evilore even got a seizure or something from the tearing in God of War 2, for example.

I asked in other places and someone told me the same thing. It definitely effects people different ways. But if you are one that is not affected by it, it does not hinder gameplay in anyway. It just looks ugly.

I asked in other places and someone told me the same thing. It definitely effects people different ways. But if you are one that is not affected by it, it does not hinder gameplay in anyway. It just looks ugly.

Still,

If this is going to be in the final retail, then I honestly wouldn't buy it (If I still had a 360). It's bullshit that something like this is being more and more common/accepted. They should have scaled back the effects or held off until next gen ...though presuming Capcom's history/structure, i'm sure they're not in any financial place to make that call.

I dunno, just imagine if you were watching a film in a theater and the image, somehow, was constanty tearing (yes I understand this highly unlikely) or had a cigarette burn every 3 seconds or, I dunno, some sort of constant visual distraction. Would you still be okay with just accepting that or would you demand your money back?

sorry I don't have a better analogy right now lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Only video I've ever watched on this game was on the iPhone, and even a screen that size had obnoxious tearing in cutscenes. WTF?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Still,

If this is going to be in the final retail, then I honestly wouldn't buy it (If I still had a 360). It's bullshit that something like this is being more and more common/accepted. They should have scaled back the effects or held off until next gen ...though presuming Capcom's history/structure, i'm sure they're not in any financial place to make that call.

I dunno, just imagine if you were watching a film in a theater and the image, somehow, was constanty tearing (yes I understand this highly unlikely) or had a cigarette burn every 3 seconds or, I dunno, some sort of constant visual distraction. Would you still be okay with just accepting that or would you demand your money back?

I really feel like this game is going to run like shit on PS3 if this is any indication. Massive tearing or giant framedrops if you don't have a good PC to run it. Capcpom strikes.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Alright, got a bit more music. I'm just be posting in this topic menu music for the moment, Leon's music should be up later.

First, from yesterday:

While I'm going to do a few others, here's the menu music. I have a guess what each theme is for, but will keep it titleless until we know for sure. All seem like menu themes to me:

Main Menu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7C8YDkiIKc
Menu 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls3uZuBK_tE
Menu 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAZLGSTFeBk
Menu 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOVwyGce-eA
Menu 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8hgsVtSg4U

But got a few more now.

Title Screen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs11NFkvgmQ
Menu 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-TwVPsCMLA
Menu 6 (I believe this is the music that plays when you're selecting a campaign): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1BwptYvMAo
Menu 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGdq0zlqOgY
Menu 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7gbBGR8HjU
Menu 9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3RVZGyq5cw

Menu 5, Menu 7, Menu 8, and Menu 9 are all next to each other in the music file numbers (I almost forgot to include Menu 6, which is elsewhere, so why it's there), and I have a strange theory they're related to the four campaigns but I don't know. Just Menu 5 I can see fitting for Leon, Menu 7 for Chris, Menu 8 for Jake,
and Menu 9 for Ada.
That's just speculation of course, it might just be other menus in the game. All of them are EXACTLY the same length (to the same millisecond), and very similar in style. I just feel that all four of them are for the campaigns on some meny where you view stats on each campaign or something. They all seem stylized perfectly after the campaigns as well.

Also, I just want to say I love this jingle. It has something to do with the menus, I have no idea what it's for, but it's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HMq0eJoyio

Carbonox

Hah, that short one reminded me of Metal Gear Solid for some reason. Sounded good, wish there was a fully fledged version though. :(

Sojgat

Shouldn't this kind of performance stuff be improving now that this gen has gone on so long? It doesn't seem like a lot of other devs have such a consistently hard time with tearing and getting games to run well on consoles (apart from Crytek).

Just played it last night.

GOD DAMN YOU CAPCOM. HOW CAN FUCK UP THE GEARS OF WAR CONTROLS!

One of the worst cameras I had the displeasure of controlling.
Super close up shots of the character & FOV that obscures & hides most of what is on the screen.

ThankeeSai

You'll have to forgive me as I'm not exactly the most technical person, but regarding the screen tearing - to get rid of it, would just mean adding/turning on V-Sync?

If they did this, what would be the negative from doing so? Would it affect the frame rate or something?

I'm guessing it's probably not as straight forward as I think it is.

Still,

Its a fine analogy. I will elaborate on it though. Say this is a film where they say the only way you are going to see this awesome movie you really want to see is with some tearing, it will be ugly and annoying but you still get to see the whole movie. Well having no choice I have no problem seeing it that way as I rather see it like that than not see it at all.

But again, I hardly even notice the tearing anymore, its just there, I am far more focused on trying out new gameplay strategies. For me I much rather have Capcom work on the camera, if I had to chose one to fix it would be the camera cause that actually hinders my gameplay experience.

RE5 PS3 was far better than the 360 version. I originally played through the 360 version of the original game, then picked up the PS3 version when Gold Edition came out. Never really noticed the difference in frame rates... but that v-synch was a god send. Hoping RE6 turns out the same way!

Same. Happy to go PS3 for this game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Its a fine analogy. I will elaborate on it though. Say this is a film where they say the only way you are going to see this awesome movie you really want to see is with some tearing, it will be ugly and annoying but you still get to see the whole movie. Well having no choice I have no problem seeing it that way as I rather see it like that than not see it at all.

But again, I hardly even notice the tearing anymore, its just there, I am far more focused on trying out new gameplay strategies. For me I much rather have Capcom work on the camera, if I had to chose one to fix it would be the camera cause that actually hinders my gameplay experience.
If they released the PC version day and date, this might hold a little more water, but what you're saying as whole is "if I'm going to be bent over the barrel by a publisher, I'd like to take it right *here*".

Margalis

Banned
Shouldn't this kind of performance stuff be improving now that this gen has gone on so long? It doesn't seem like a lot of other devs have such a consistently hard time with tearing and getting games to run well on consoles (apart from Crytek).

Again, at E3 a lot of the games in the MS booth had bad screen tearing. More than half probably.

You'll have to forgive me as I'm not exactly the most technical person, but regarding the screen tearing - to get rid of it, would just mean adding/turning on V-Sync?

If they did this, what would be the negative from doing so? Would it affect the frame rate or something?

I'm guessing it's probably not as straight forward as I think it is.

probably because what you get when you enabling Vsync on the 360 sku is similar to what'd you get on PS3

Why they don't just vsync both? I dunno, maybe they honestly can't because the way the coding was done or something. There's has been examples in the past where titles on PS3 are vsynced, while the 360 version just wasn't (and vice versa ala Transformers), presumably for techinical reasons. Such as:

Bionic Commando 2009 (BAD tearing on 360)
Bionic Commando ReArmed 1/2
Vanquish
RE5
Dragon's Dogma

probably because what you get when you enabling Vsync on the 360 sku is similar to what'd you get on PS3

Why they don't just vsync both? I dunno, maybe they honestly can't because the way the coding was done or something. There's has been examples in the past where titles on PS3 are vsynced, while the 360 version just wasn't (and vice versa ala Transformers), presumably for techinical reasons. Such as:

Bionic Commando 2009 (BAD tearing on 360)
Bionic Commando ReArmed 1/2
Vanquish
RE5
Dragon's Dogma

Man Grin's Diesel game engine screen teared so bad on the 360. If I remember correctly it was -really- bad on Bionic Commando Rearmed.

Carbonox

Sectus didn't post it here, but he posted a video of him using mods to use many of the weapons hidden in the demo files: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TRu_VrHQgo

Awesome, thanks. I can see quick shot being a bit cheap depending on the weapons you use, especially as it auto-locks to the nearest enemy. With a magnum, shotgun or rifle, enemies will be easy pickings. I do love the roll-into-quick shot tactic though. Looks badass.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
If you get one of those people that says they don't understand what is or can't see screen tearing, just show them RE6.

It affects gameplay because I don't want to look at the screen while I'm playing.

In other MT Framework games setting your Xbox output to 720p fixes the tearing. Does it not help with RE6?

Doesn't work for RE6.

to be fair to Miami Wesker he's completely right about tearing just being a visual glitch. without vsync on, games generally control better, and it doesn't prevent you seeing anything.

i mean, i hate it, and i hope that they can do something about it before the final version or i'm waiting for that PC release, but i'm used to people not being bothered by visual glitches that bother me like microstuttering and the like.

i'm even going to try this in SD to see if that helps next time i play it.

also, it isn't just MT framework stuff that's been fixed by 720p on 360 in the past (though this sadly isn't) i clearly remember Shadows of the Damned being the same way.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Alright, while going through demo files, I think I may have stumbled upon some sort of huge major spoiler. Be warned, this is a huge potential spoiler.

I don't know where this takes place or why. For a long time I was wondering why I couldn't find Leon's final boss battle info, but I seem to have found A final boss battle, but the problem is I don't know if its Leon's or not. HOWEVER, it mentions Leon and Ada and it sounds like they're either working together or against each other. I don't know the specifics, but this is definitely a final boss encounter and it's either something happened to Helena in the story and either Leon or Ada's scenario ends with Leon working with Ada, or Leon and Ada have a final confrontation with each other.

Risette

A Good Citizen
If you get one of those people that says they don't understand what is or can't see screen tearing, just show them RE6.
I also have to think, what if some of the overwhelmingly negative reaction to the demo is caused in part by the screen tearing? It can be bothering people who don't know what screen tearing is too. It's extremely disorienting to say the least (nearly 50% tearing lol), combine it with the weird camera getup which is also confusing and disorienting and you have people who aren't going to enjoy what they're playing, potentially getting headaches or other bad reactions, and just call it a bad game period. It's not like someone has to know what tearing is to be affected by it...

It's like dark10x mentioned somewhere, that even people who aren't aware of framerates notice that CoD feels smoother than other popular shooters because it targets 60fps. I think that these things that people just write off as technical issues that nobody notices actually do effect how everybody perceives the game to a degree.

Found it. Now people can't say that tearing is not noticeable if you set the console to 720p for Dragon's Dogma.

Dragon's Dogma
http://ps360.ldblog.jp/archives/53662635.html

体験版(720p) Avg:28.014fps Min-Max:23.0-30.0fps Tear:27.391%(27.391%)
製品版(1080p) Avg:28.289fps Min-Max:23.0-30.0fps Tear:29.247%(29.222%)

2 PERCENT DIFFERENCE. That's huge enough that a ton of gaffers suddenly can't notice it anymore. I also feel like people are ignoring the fact that switching to 720p does nothing now, this is not the same MT Framework engine that you used to know.

Resident Evil 6
http://ps360.ldblog.jp/archives/53694077.html

LEON Avg:28.792fps Min-Max:23.5-30.5fps Tear:46.205%(45.677%)
CHRIS Avg:29.147fps Min-Max:25.0-30.5fps Tear:46.483%(45.933%)
SHERRY Avg:29.545fps Min-Max:22.0-30.5fps Tear:47.285%(46.806%)

When I switched to 720p for the Dragon's Dogma 360 demo, I noticed there was "less tearing" -- but it could be that it was tearing equally but in different places. When I first played it I remember the screen tearing like crazy as the small intro in-engine cutscene panned over the landscape. The switch to 720p felt like it lessened the tearing, but there was still a lot which is why I bought it on PS3. Dunno though -- was the 720p switching ever a real thing or is it just a placebo caused by the screen tearing in different places so people think there's less tearing?

ReaperXL7

lol I've seen lots of games where people scream about the tearing, or framerate and I almost never see it personally, the only time framerate drops have bothered me was when Skyrim was turning into a slideshow on PS3. So I could be wrong, but i'll be surprised if I see it here.

Dunno though -- was the 720p switching ever a real thing or is it just a placebo caused by the screen tearing in different places so people think there's less tearing?

it was definately a thing. you can do double blind on me for RE5 and i'll tell you what the dashboard is set to.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be honest, I was pretty excited for RE6 until they started releasing the uber dudebro shootbangslash videos, and reading all these demo impressions only diminishes my interest in the game further. Such a shame too, since I actually really enjoyed RE5 for what it was.

Top Bottom