• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

crispyben

My Vita copy has shipped, hopefully I'll get it on Wednesday, before I leave for the extended weekend...I'll still have to wait until next Monday to pop in the PS3 version.

saladine1

Yeaah, that's not gonna happen.

lol, I know. Just had to say it.

So how many instances are you noticing the framerate hitching? I've noticed in videos of both the PS3 and 360 version there are moments where the game literally just halts for a split second in the middle of action. Is this common?

Thanks.

It's happened quite a few times to be honest. It isn't constant though as in every 5 minutes or something but yeah, it happens..

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Performance is pretty bad on my rig:

win7 64 12 gig ram
660ti 2 gig
i5 3.0 ghz quad

Running @1080p. Lowered motion blur to low, shadows to medium, geometry to medium and SSAO to medium. Getting 50-60 fps on straightaways, but any large turn totally tanks my framerate with hitching and big drops. Extremely annoying, rendering the game pretty much unplayable for me.

lol, I know. Just had to say it.

It's happened quite a few times to be honest. It isn't constant though as in every 5 minutes or something but yeah, it happens..

Thanks.

So ... Hitches, shorter than Burnout.

Can someone tell me some good news about this game?

I remember seeing them occasionally in Paradise, and even in Hot Pursuit from a couple years ago. They were very brief though, and I think it has to do with loading in certain sections of the open world.

Wonko_C

It doesn't make any sense on PC either, lol.

Wait, I probably missed something from reading your post. I don't have a dedicated soundcard on my PC and I'm using integrated sound from the motherboard, but I know dedicated soundcards exist. Serious question: What does not make sense about it?

I'm kinda casual when it comes to games these days so I don't mind that it's shorter than BP it all about cruising and challenges on-line.

I will be hunting all the collectables before I start racing seriously.

Can anyone explain this thing where at certain point you run out of things to do with a single car? Like, as long as you switch your cars up, the game lasts longer? Upgrading each one, etc?

Can anyone explain this thing where at certain point you run out of things to do with a single car? Like, as long as you switch your cars up, the game lasts longer? Upgrading each one, etc?

Essentially, each car has six events designated to them. First time you win each event, you get 12k SP. However, after you've beaten an event you only get 500 SP for beating your best time, so to carry on gaining SP at a decent rate you need to change car and play its six events, and you'll need to do just that in order to unlock the Most Wanted events (which are the only events which are open to all cars).

Foshy

Upgrades don't carry over from one car to another, you have to win all specific events with each individual car to get them tuned up.

Essentially, each car has six events designated to them. First time you win each event, you get 12k SP. However, after you've beaten an event you only get 500 SP for beating your best time, so to carry on gaining SP at a decent rate you need to change car and play its six events, and you'll need to do just that in order to unlock the Most Wanted events (which are the only events which are open to all cars).

So it doesn't work like Paradise, where you can jump into a bunch of races at various intersections? That seems hard to believe.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PLEASE CRITERION, for the love of all things holy, if there's a way to patch in a hood view and manual transmission, please do so. It would greatly enhance the experience..at least for me it will!

No hood view? Shit. I hope third person view is ok, I can't handle bumper cams.

So it doesn't work like Paradise, where you can jump into a bunch of races at various intersections? That seems hard to believe.

Nope, fixed events for specific cars. I suspect there's going to a major backlash on here due to the "strictly six events per car" system.

[Disclaimer: I haven't actually played the game, I'm just judging by the YouTube videos uploaded, but that's what it seems to me]

Vita shots!

IQ isn't perfect (think Uncharted), but you get used to that and otherwise, wow.

To me it looked a bit better than Uncharted IQ wise, more like Wipeout 2048, at least a month or two before release :p (And yes before anyone asks, I played it, I'm not basing this off youtube offscreen videos -_-)

Nope, fixed events for specific cars. I suspect there's going to a major backlash on here due to the "strictly six events per car" system.

[Disclaimer: I haven't actually played the game, I'm just judging by the YouTube videos uploaded, but that's what it seems to me]

That seems very strange, and in interviews with the dev team they seemed to stress that they developed the mod system precisely because they understood some people wanted to stick to their favorite car car. If most of the events are car specific that seems to completely defeat that concept, which is exactly why I have a hard time believing that's true.

Oersted

That seems very strange, and in interviews with the dev team they seemed to stress that they developed the mod system precisely because they understood some people wanted to stick to their favorite car car. If the events are car specific that heavily that seems to completely defeat that concept, which is exactly why I have a hard time believing that's true.

It is true. And one of the major downs.

B-Dex

I'm still excited for the game but I LOVE how shady their PR is for it:

Paraphrasing: "40+ cars with 5 events per car!* *60 Events total"
So even though each car gets multiple events there are a lot of repeats.

apesh1t

Banned
Stupid Newegg, charges my credit card, but doesn't ship it......

Super excited for this, first new game I bought (on release) since Max Payne 3. Been playing Split/second, Ridge Racer Unbound to sustain my boner.

amrod

Apparently you need to stay in the game.

I figured it out... Unlock game, While connected to the korean VPN click in origin go offline and it works (as long as you dont close origin)

<edit> guess it doesnt work after all like above what I said... sigh i'll just wait till tommrow then</edit>

Mikeside

There is a con to Autolog?

Just because you don't utilize something to it's full potential does not give it a negative value.
Not everybody CAN use it to it's full potential.
If you don't have a friendslist full of people that play the game, you aren't part of a community that plays it. Or you don't feel like you are, at least.

Why would not utilizing Autolog make someone hate the single player mode in Criterion games? Did they remove something in order to implement Autolog that other racing games have?

The single-player in Hot Pursuit was obviously geared towards Autolog and, whilst fun, didn't feel as fully featured as something like Forza or other Need for Speed etc games in my opinion unless you had other people you could battle with for leaderboard scores.

Feels like you're being a little bit over-defensive, to me. I'm not dissing AutoLog, I'm just saying it's not perfect and this seems like an easy way to make it a lot better and more active for loads of people (including myself)

Also I can't help but feel squidgy about the Machinima dudes who are posting all these streams and videos talking about how they not only got free copies of the game but, no lie, they said this, paid to promote it.

I mean, the footage speaks for itself but that is gross.

Also I can't help but feel squidgy about the Machinima dudes who are posting all these streams and videos talking about how they not only got free copies of the game but, no lie, they said this, paid to promote it.

Whaaaaaaat? I didn't watch the videos but this is said in the video?

Not everybody CAN use it to it's full potential.
If you don't have a friendslist full of people that play the game, you aren't part of a community that plays it. Or you don't feel like you are, at least.

The single-player in Hot Pursuit was obviously geared towards Autolog and, whilst fun, didn't feel as fully featured as something like Forza or other Need for Speed etc games in my opinion unless you had other people you could battle with for leaderboard scores.

Feels like you're being a little bit over-defensive, to me. I'm not dissing AutoLog, I'm just saying it's not perfect and this seems like an easy way to make it a lot better and more active for loads of people (including myself)

I'm not being defensive at all. I'm just not understanding your comments about Autolog having problems because people don't have friends who play the game.

It's like saying Halo 4 has problems, because you don't have friends to play co-op with.

I don't think Hot Pursuit was built around Autolog at all. It's an awesome racing game, with lots of events to race. On top of that great game is this thing called Autolog, and if you have friends it make the game even better, but the game was already awesome without Autolog.

At least they're being up front about it, and it was probably a wise move on EA's part as it's getting the game a lot of attention on YouTube.

Bebpo

Banned
This is the first game I'm paying full price for in a long time. BP is probably my favorite arcade racer ever, and HP was incredibly good as well.

Little nervous hearing about the structure and lack of content in these early impressions (combined with alleged poor PC performance), but I'd be surprised if Criterion could make a "bad" arcade racer, or even an average one. When they make primarily A++ racers and this one is an B++, I'll still be happy with it.

waypoetic

Banned
Here you go, some Vita footage! Sorry for the not always optimal quality (sometimes it looks good, other times the camera is completely unfocused) and the shitty driving, it wasn't too comfortable playing while recording.

Cruising around the city, doing some races (and losing horribly): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9QEKIN1CRY
Tackling the #10 in the Most Wanted list: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrfrRbJZpV0

So how do you like the game? Or should i say : how is it on the Vita?

Man, opinions are going to be all over the place for this. Starting to sound like 'not really Paradise 2', which will not sit well with some of us Paradise fans.

Foshy

So how do you like the game? Or should i say : how is it on the Vita?

It's a great game and it runs really nice on the Vita, but it feels a bit like the little brother of Burnout Paradise. I liked Paradise City more than Fairhaven, it was more interesting to me as a location. In general, Paradise does most of the stuff MW does a little bit better. Super jumps were more fun than speed traps imo.

I really like how you can switch from car to car and have different races for them, though, and I'm very excited to see the Autolog implementation when the game officialy launches (it seems like the servers aren't up yet).

Pimpbaa

Performance is pretty bad on my rig:

win7 64 12 gig ram
660ti 2 gig
i5 3.0 ghz quad

Running @1080p. Lowered motion blur to low, shadows to medium, geometry to medium and SSAO to medium. Getting 50-60 fps on straightaways, but any large turn totally tanks my framerate with hitching and big drops. Extremely annoying, rendering the game pretty much unplayable for me.

Did you try it without SSAO? That can be a massive performance killer. Might give you back enough performance to change those other settings back to high.

Peterthumpa

Just bought it from GMG but where the hell is my key? It says 3 days until launch and no key available? Did anyone here bought from them too?

Top Bottom