• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a super cheap way to see a show I enjoyed. I bought a more expensive set in two parts before but this is a very easy and cheap way to watch it!
So maybe now more people will give it a chance I hope.

It will have that ugly S.A.V.E. cover on it, but with that price I can deal with it. Looking forward to seeing it!

Nagi no Asukara 14
Doing a bit of catch-up. the 5-year timeskip changes the atmosphere a whole. Its a feeling of sorrow that made me feel sort of sad through the entire episode. The characters changed a lot in some ways but others not so much. Very entertaining

cajunator

Banned
I've stopped expecting much out of Kill la Kill, so all I'm hoping for is that the ugly stripper outfit doesn't make a comeback.

As long as theres more Harime. Even if shes super evil. Want to hug.

Golden Time 14

Pretty good episode. Almost no
Ghost Banri
to be found. And all dat fanservice. But holy shit,
Mitsuo is dating Linda now
? That's gonna cause some drama!

Hmm. Things are looking up if thats the case!

It will have that ugly S.A.V.E. cover on it, but with that price I can deal with it. Looking forward to seeing it!

People dont like it cause its gonzo but I thought the show had a lot of heart to it. Its far from perfect but at 12 bucks you really cant go wrong giving it a watch. It has some unconventional characters in it and some cuties also. It has very dark and very light moments as you will see.

Mature

Detective Conan 281:
Dumb AO is dumb. Why on earth did Ayumi forget her badge when she was literally talking through it to Conan at that exact moment? It doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense. Genta's idiocy took on new levels, too, and the killer must have been a complete moron not to hear him. It's also really unclear how the killer even moved around without them ever seeing his face after the crime was committed. I can't come up with any reasonable explanation for any of that nonsense. Please try harder next time, TMS.
I have no memory of this episode and I can only assume I erased it from my brain.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Onee-chan Came
t9DIu30l.jpg

Who doesn't want to get an older step-sister who is infatuated with you?
I suppose being a 3 minute anime makes it watchable, much like that anime with the kid who looks like an adult so everyone keeps confusing him as a pedo (Recorder to Randsell?), because expanded into 20 minutes like in...

Engaged to the Unknown
... it really does become a bit insufferable after a while.

Also, in a post Non Non Biyori world, I have a bit of a hard time with precocious children nowadays:
rm5IlNml.jpg

Something about how she acts just doesn't seem genuine. Although I suppose it's because she mostly exists only so that the older sister (in law) can try to molest her rather than anything else.

3MT9kFLl.jpg

Also, the red girl is "fat". Oh anime!

Gazoinks

Inari, Kon Kon, Koi Iraha 1
6m6rh4ql.jpg

This show should've been about Uka

It was cute and relatively entertaining, but didn't really grab me that much. I'm really trying to pair down my current shows, so I'll probably drop it and maybe pick it up later.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Inari, Kon Kon, Koi Iraha 1
It was cute and relatively entertaining, but didn't really grab me that much. I'm really trying to pair down my current shows, so I'll probably drop it and maybe pick it up later.
To me, it feels a bit like Kamisama Kiss, inasmuch as it has a very shoujo set up. But I really do love that Fukui ben. lol

cajunator

Banned
Onee-chan Came
t9DIu30l.jpg

Who doesn't want to get an older step-sister who is infatuated with you?
I suppose being a 3 minute anime makes it watchable, much like that anime with the kid who looks like an adult so everyone keeps confusing him as a pedo (Recorder to Randsell?), because expanded into 20 minutes like in...

Engaged to the Unknown
... it really does become a bit insufferable after a while.

Also, in a post Non Non Biyori world, I have a bit of a hard time with precocious children nowadays:
rm5IlNml.jpg

Something about how she acts just doesn't seem genuine. Although I suppose it's because she mostly exists only so that the older sister (in law) can try to molest her rather than anything else.

3MT9kFLl.jpg

Also, the red girl is "fat". Oh anime!

Mashiro exists to save anime.

Also, the other girl is "Rihoko" fat

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kill la Kill 14

Good episode. A LOT of cultural humor/references, though. Maybe a little Japan-centric social commentary, too. Scarf-Ryuko is awesome, and Mako is still best. Not sure what happened in Saganeyama's fight, though. When the scene cut away,
his forces were losing
. Then it cuts back and
suddenly he's winning
? How?

Also, wasn't KLK supposed to get a new OP? Is that still happening, or...?

Magical Warfare Episode 2

Far better than episode one was, especially with Twilight stuff. However it feels kind of clear that
Gekkou may potentially be the one that cast of his magic and did the magic sword maybe. Though I cant remember his backstory that well from episode one. Or at least its building him up to be someone interesting with the look he gave on the steps

To me, it feels a bit like Kamisama Kiss, inasmuch as it has a very shoujo set up. But I really do love that Fukui ben. lol

Inari Konkon, at least what I've read of it, is more of a shoujo romcom (despite being a seinen manga) with a supernatural twist than something like Kamisama Kiss, or especially Gingitsune/Natsume is, where romance is less of a central focus.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Ah, so that's what their accent was? I could tell it was different, not sure what it was though O: it sure sounded cute though :p

I really like the artstyle and character design for Inari Konkon as well, and the manga is fun, so i'll stick with this for sure

Nordicus

The only problem with DMC is the metal they actually play is lame as hell.
I had more problems with it than just that honestly.

To me, watching DMC was like watching the "Clueless Gamer" segment in Conan O'Brien, except without the occasional really funny moment coming from Conan questioning something we deem normal in games, or when he's legitimately enjoying himself and something funny happens.

Then there were the final two episodes where they used terms "black metal" and "death metal" interchangeably. I was quite tempted to flip the table there.

If Metalocalypse has taught me anything, it's that heavy metal and all its various genres are a comedy goldmine when you dig deep enough, but DMC's use of it was so shallow that I was quite frankly getting more frustrated with it as each episode went by.

Mature

It's very unmemorable in general. It does feel like 'generic Detective Boys AO' with maybe just slightly more contrivances than usual.
The best AOs, in my opinion, try something really ambitious or outside of the box. One that always sticks out in my mind is an episode in the 400's called "The Uncontrollable Rental Car!" and is essentially the plot of Speed. It's not super amazing or anything, but it was at least enjoyable because it was really different. I feel like anime original episodes in Detective Conan are an acquired taste— sometimes i'm actually excited to watch them, haha. Then of course, there's awful ones (like that granny one) which are only fun if you have someone with you to laugh with. It's almost like the interesting part of them is trying to see how they can make them relevant and entertaining inside their little box of limitations.

Unrelated: After the next two-part AO you'll hit a new animation style.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Inari Konkon, at least what I've read of it, is more of a shoujo romcom (despite being a seinen manga) with a supernatural twist than something like Kamisama Kiss, or especially Gingitsune/Natsume is, where romance is less of a central focus.

Kamisama Kiss is pretty much shoujo romance. But yeah, I can see how the fact that Inari can change into any other human being would lead to more direct hijinks. KK just has a bunch of sexy man gods chasing after the girl.

Ah, so that's what their accent was? I could tell it was different, not sure what it was though O: it sure sounded cute though :p

I really like the artstyle and character design for Inari Konkon as well, and the manga is fun, so i'll stick with this for sure
Yeah, I haven't had my shoujo fix in a while so I'll probably stick around too. I miss girls constantly monologueing to themselves about every little feeling that they have. lol

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Kamisama Kiss is pretty much shoujo romance. But yeah, I can see how the fact that Inari can change into any other human being would lead to more direct hijinks. KK just has a bunch of sexy man gods chasing after the girl.

Yeah, I haven't had my shoujo fix in a while so I'll probably stick around too. I miss girls constantly monologueing to themselves about every little feeling that they have. lol

Yeah, since KK there haven't really been any shoujos worth following so this will make a nice change of pace from the mecha/action heavy past season

Gazoinks

Yeah, I think the shoujo romance formula just isn't really my thing, tbh. Well, except Utena but that doesn't really count. :p Also, beforehand I thought she'd be able to change into anything, not just other people. Minor complaint, but yeah.

I hope these are just placeholders, but the runtimes for FUNimation's April releases of Cat Planet Cuties and Spice & Wolf differ from previous releases. This happens with re-releases from time to time, right?

Cat Planet Cuties (original) @325min
Cat Planet Cuties (S.A.V.E.) @288min

Spice & Wolf (original S1/S2) @650min
Spice & Wolf (Anime Classics) @630min

Were specials removed? I guess one would have to wait until the new listings have the disc contents added sometime.

I had more problems with it than just that honestly.

To me, watching DMC was like watching the "Clueless Gamer" segment in Conan O'Brien, except without the occasional really funny moment coming from Conan questioning something we deem normal in games, or when he's legitimately enjoying himself and something funny happens.

Then there were the final two episodes where they used black metal and death metal interchangeably. I was quite tempted to flip the table there.

If Metalocalypse has taught me anything, it's that heavy metal and all its various genres are a comedy goldmine when you dig deep enough, but DMC's use of it was so shallow that I was quite frankly getting more frustrated with it as each episode went by.
Eh, it uses preconceived notions people may have about metal musicians well enough that I don't really feel like being anal about how they don't know the ins and outs of the genre like you and I might. That new Simpsons episode from a couple weeks back though was the worst offender ever though.

Also Metalocalypse is the better of the two shows anyway. Toki is moe as fuck.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, since KK there haven't really been any shoujos worth following so this will make a nice change of pace from the mecha/action heavy past season
Hopefully there's some big/popular shoujo manga that isn't quite big enough to get a jdrama but big enough to get a 26 episode anime coming soon. At this point, after a year of shitty reverse-harem visual novel adaptations (Sorry DTL!), I'm reading for just a plain old "guy constantly saves weak girl" shoujo at this point. lol

Yeah, I think the shoujo romance formula just isn't really my thing, tbh. Well, except Utena but that doesn't really count. :p Also, beforehand I thought she'd be able to change into anything, not just other people. Minor complaint, but yeah.
That's fair. It's a very specific mode of anime, although I presume the spiritual hijinks part will be what differentiates this show from others.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
All this KLK talk has me so hyped to watch episode 14 tonight.

Still gotta update my AOTY post but KLK is definitely going to be in the top 5 somewhere. Such a great show.

Gazoinks

Hopefully there's some big/popular shoujo manga that isn't quite big enough to get a jdrama but big enough to get a 26 episode anime coming soon. At this point, after a year of shitty reverse-harem visual novel adaptations (Sorry DTL!), I'm reading for just a plain old "guy constantly saves weak girl" shoujo at this point. lol

That's fair. It's a very specific mode of anime, although I presume the spiritual hijinks part will be what differentiates this show from others.

Yeah. As I said, I'm really trying to pair down my watching, so anything that's not continuing or an immediate grab is getting dropped. Doesn't mean I think it's bad or anything, and I'll be watching impressions to see if I want to pick it up later.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah. As I said, I'm really trying to pair down my watching, so anything that's not continuing or an immediate grab is getting dropped. Doesn't mean I think it's bad or anything, and I'll be watching impressions to see if I want to pick it up later.
Yup. I basically did that last season when I was watching Gravity every weekend. lol

I haven't read the manga, but there's Ao Haru Ride coming up soon, and that's fairly big as shoujo manga goes. There's also Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii in April.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Haha yes, i have nothing against reverse harems but i've been missing those classic fuwa fuwa shoujo tropes with all these more abusive-type vn stuff like diabolik lovers or w/e recently

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't read the manga, but there's Ao Haru Ride coming up soon, and that's fairly big as shoujo manga goes. There's also Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii in April.

Yoshioka Futaba has a few reasons why she wants to "reset" her image & life as a new high school student. Because she's cute, she was ostracized by her female friends in junior high, and because of a misunderstanding, she couldn't get her feeling across to the only boy she has ever liked, Tanaka-kun.

Now in high school, she is determined to be as unladylike as possible so that her friends won't be jealous of her. While living her life this way contentedly, she meets Tanaka-kun again, but he now goes under the name of Mabuchi Kou. He tells her that he felt the same way as she did when they were younger, but now that is the thing of the past. Will Futaba be able to continue her love that never even started from three years ago?

Right into my veins please.

Although I'm sure after a few episodes, I'll be complaining about how it's not Reaching You or Say I Love You. lol

cnet128

Banned
Samurai Flamenco 13

SUDDENLY POLITICS. I can't say I was expecting that at all, which I suppose is why I should have expected it =p Corrupt politicians are the worst, though these ones definitely seem more reasonable than some. Their suggestions actually make sense, in addition to being cowardly and self-serving!

Meanwhile Kaname-san
gives a motivating speech about the nature of heroism and then suddenly disappears off the face of the earth just in time for the big From Beyond invasion. If he doesn't turn out to secretly be the leader of From Beyond now, I will be disappointed.

jbug617

Banned
FUNimation's April releases have been added to the Right Stuf for preorder.

http://www.rightstuf.com/catalog/browse/link/t=changes,c=right-stuf

Surprised once again on how Heaven's Lost Property is an Anime Classics title while Cat Planet Cuties is a S.A.V.E. title. Spice and Wolf is definitely Anime Classics material though.

I own most of the stuff getting re-released. Might snag the OG Eureka 7 sets but as of right now only grabbing One Piece Collection 9 to go along with the Nyaruko set (both come out 1 day after my B-Day).

The best AOs, in my opinion, try something really ambitious or outside of the box. One that always sticks out in my mind is an episode in the 400's called "The Uncontrollable Rental Car!" and is essentially the plot of Speed. It's not super amazing or anything, but it was at least enjoyable because it was really different. I feel like anime original episodes in Detective Conan are an acquired taste— sometimes i'm actually excited to watch them, haha. Then of course, there's awful ones (like that granny one) which are only fun if you have someone with you to laugh with. It's almost like the interesting part of them is trying to see how they can make them relevant and entertaining inside their little box of limitations.

Unrelated: After the next two-part AO you'll hit a new animation style.

I feel like that's pretty true in general. I think with AOs you have a few different categories. On the one hand, you have the cases which try to mimic a normal Conan case, and tend to be of varying quality, but usually not as good as the real thing. Then you have cases which try to be something completely different. They can also be of varying quality, but are at least something new. Then you have the 'Detective Boys do insipid stuff for 22 minutes' ones, which are almost always bad.

Something which tries to use the formula differently has a tougher time of being good, but it can also be interesting to see stories which don't consist of 'three suspects, figure out which did it' or 'break the alibi'. Sometimes you can get something really different, especially because they don't hew to the same formula. There's such a large gap in quality, which can be frustrating, but some of the gems do make it worthwhile.

Gazoinks

Samurai Flamenco 13

From Beyond are attacking on Bravely Default release day! THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

It's nice to see that, among all the schizoid lunacy, this show still knows when to pull back on the wackiness and manic pacing and take time to build tension. I swear this show is written by someone with multiple personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom