• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2009

Taurus

Luckyman said:
wtf?

Why did 360 outsell PS3 in November but not in December? Banwave obv :lol
50k difference can be statistical error, they are basically neck to neck this month. November was better for X360 probably due to MW2, and somewhat due to ban wave.

Firestorm

Deku said:
handhelds don't exist now? I think there's that thing called the DEE ESS.

I haven't paid much attention to consoles outside of trying to get into the FFXIV beta, and I signed up for the PC one too.

firestorm, you're better than pandering like that. It's ok to be passionate and show preference, just don't be a retard about it.
Of course handhelds exist. But the moment someone tries bringing a console experience to a handheld is the minute I stop giving a shit.

Unless I am a total fantard for the series like Zelda / Metal Gear / Metroid etc x.x From what I have seen of Wii topics, they want 360 / PS3 style games but on the Wii. It has made absolutely no sense to me why this is the case when most games do not benefit from motion controls and would be better served by the power and online services of those systems.

BowieZ said:
Exactly. People (well, myself, for one) are simply trying to understand the inverse relationship between Wii hardware sales and third-party support, and trying to understand a market that is considered "unpredictable" and stupid by third-party publishers.

Western third party developers have undergone huge losses in the past year, and I don't think the economy itself can be blamed. Wanting third parties to enjoy excellent profits (not just excellent if slightly narrow sales) is not bitching in the least.
I believe it's unpredictable in that Wii owners are very diverse and go to different games. It's not like on the Xbox 360 where you put out a game and everybody buys it in Month 1. Wii games have people buying a little bit out of everything. They're just finding it hard to predict what will sell the best and what won't. After all, we see 360 versions of games selling the best in almost all cases but the attach rate is the same across all platforms isn't it? They're all buying the same amount of games per system, but they're buying different ones. I think it was Opiate who brought up that Publishers love control over anything else, and that's probably it.

As far as developers go, I'd say they just want to make 360/PS3 games as that's what they're interested in.

Hero said:
Who exactly is bitching that Wii doesn't get enough games?

selig said:
This is a sales age-topic. And that´s the great thing about sales: They´re not open to personal opinion. So what current sales are telling, is: 3rd parties are not putting the right software on the Wii.
Now, what that "right software" is, is open to discussion, but seeing how there´s simply nothing on par with their HD-efforts, it´s pretty clear imo. Also, beyond all the sales-talk, it IS pretty ignorant to tell a 50 mio. install base´s audience to buy another system. THere´s not 50 mio. soccer moms. And it´s not as if Nintendo´s own "core games" havent sold millions...they have.

It´s amusing how some people honestly think there´s a conspiracy against third-parties and people buying only Nintendo games just because. Someone already explained it: Brand loyalty is something that´s earned. That´s where third parties have f***** up big time, and that´s where they have to start from new.
You're right. It is sales-age so I won't bring up my annoyance with GAF again.

Now, I'd say it's also ignorant to assume I'm talking to all 50 million of those Wii owners. No, obviously not all 50 million are soccer moms. However, for the majority of people I remember selling a Wii to at retail, they were perfectly fine with just "that bowling game." My Wii-only relatives are perfectly fine with the library and don't even want the types of games I see clamoured for. Resident Evil? No thanks.

Anyway, would not say these are solid efforts on Wii?
- No More Heroes
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
- Trauma Center: Second Opinion
- Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Are we saying these also needed higher marketing muscle behind them? Would No More Heroes sold more if it had more TV spots? I'm trying to figure out what it is that third parties should be doing because I keep hearing contrary requests. I don't think anyone even cares about motion control anymore as the types of games I keep hearing about wouldn't benefit much from motion control at all. Final Fantasy XV? Who cares about WiiMotion on that?

Deku said:
Sales didn't pick up after the price drop. It spiked but was still down yoy for several months. That fact probably exacerbated the criticism, which fairly or unfairly painted it as a bubble, though what a strange bubble it is. Nintendo just had a very strong November/December.

And consider this, The 3.8 million figure is just US only. If you include Canada, that number is just colossal. Easily 4.2 to 4.5 million hardware units moved in one region in one month.
Canada does not sell 700,000 units a month. 4.2 is the absolute max if you include Canada. It is likely closer to 4.0 - 4.1 million.

Firestorm said:
- No More Heroes
Didn't these all sell to expectations or better?

Trauma Center spawned two sequels on the Wii and one on the DS from a DS game that kinda bombed.

sphinx

the piano man
oh come on, no silent hill wii numbers yet????

Anihawk, you always tell us hints, give us some!

and lets compare the numbers to those of Silent hill: Homecoming and have at last evident proof that 3rd parties have a right to bitch and moan when they put hardcore games on Wii and they don't sell as expected.

Firestorm

I'd like to know YTD on SFIV PS3 vs 360 =o
ShockingAlberto said:

Trauma Center spawned two sequels on the Wii and one on the DS from a DS game that kinda bombed.
DS version did well I believe which is why we got Second Opinion which also did well (launch game). New Blood bombed which is expected considering they launched the week after Super Mario Galaxy (GOOD JOB ATLUS). I'm interested to see how Trauma Team does.

I have had New Blood for a year and still haven't gotten around to playing it x.x

I just didn't know what other Wii games came out since that's what's on my shelf. I know there was Crystal Bearers that apparently came out recently. How is that doing? Original Crystal Chronicles did over a million on GCN iirc.

Taurus

sphinx said:

and lets compare the numbers to those of Silent hill: Homecoming and have at last evident proof that 3rd parties have a right to bitch and moan when they put hardcore games on Wii and they don't sell as expected.
After the huge ad campaign, I'm sure it did well. Oh wait, what ad campaign?

Hell, I remember seeing some gaffer yesterday saying that he even didn't know there was a new Silent Hill game out for Wii, checked out some videos and decided to buy it. That's right Konami, that's how well you market your games! :lol

sphinx said:

I highly doubt it will do as bad as homecoming, but doing better than that game will enough to nintards to say that Nibris was right and Capcom are useless idiots than know nothing of videogame business....

Taurus

Relaxed Muscle said:
I highly doubt it will do as bad as homecoming, but doing better than that game will enough to nintards to say that Nibris was right and Capcom are useless idiots than know nothing of videogame business....
SH SM is probably a prime example of a missed opportunity. The game is decent afaik, yet they send it out to die with zero marketing. How the hell do you expect people to buy a game they don't know is even out?

Cygnus X-1

Stumpokapow said:
Mario & Luigi 3 has now doubled Mario & Luigi 2 and Paper Mario 1, and passed Mario & Luigi 1, Super Paper Mario, and Paper Mario 2. Mario & Luigi 3 is officially the best-selling of the series. In four months.

That's the best nest IMO. Such an hilarious game!

sphinx

the piano man
Taurus said:

Hell, I remember seeing some gaffer yesterday saying that he even didn't know there was a new Silent Hill game out for Wii, checked out some videos and decided to buy it. That's right Konami, that's how well you market your games! :lol

Did Silent hill: homecoming get a huge ad campaign unlike shattered memories?

I honestly can't remember but HC received some poor reviews and wasn't that eventful either.

If SM sells far less than HC, I believe 3rd parties have a point when they make statements about retiring support from the wii...

Firestorm

Taurus said:

Well, I was at a wings place a few weeks ago and I saw like 3 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Crystal Bearers commercials over the span of an hour so I think that was at least advertised!

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
AniHawk said:
ST > 600k
50k > Silent Hill > FFCCTCBBQ
Konami deserves it, as does Squeenix for launching it when they did, though January sales may pick up for CB...

Still, less than 50k for Shattered Memories makes me sad inside. DAMNIT KONAMI, GIVE A SHIT, WILL YA?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
AniHawk said:
Shattered Memories' launch as a hardcore Wii game was the system's best since The Conduit.

That's astonishing, considering SH had no marketing and T-Con had a pretty decent marketing push. Then again, all the hardcore Wii games released from July through November had no marketing, either. I suppose we can chalk this one up to brand recognition for Silent Hill?

RJT

Andronicus said:
Except when they laugh at you for being the moron because the game isnt on pc .....
Yeah, I mean, it's not like PC had all the good games that the Xbox360 has. No Modern Warfare 2, no Batman, no Borderlands, no Left 4 Dead 2, no Dragon Age, no Assassin's Creed 2
yeah, I know it will be released later on PC, but who cares? Better version, bitches!!!

We're not gonna get Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, Crysis 2, Battlefield, etc.. Man, PC gaming really sucks...

ShockingAlberto said:

I don't know about the other two, but Trauma Center: Second Opinion was Atlus' best-selling game ever, up to that point. It's possibly (probably?) been surpassed by Demon's Souls now. The sequel, New Blood, bombed about as hard as it's possible to bomb, though, at least in its early sales (4-digit first month sales). Hopefully it pulled a slow burn, because it's a fantastic game. I hope Trauma Team does well for them.

selig

Banned
Firestorm said:
My Wii-only relatives are perfectly fine with the library and don't even want the types of games I see clamoured for. Resident Evil? No thanks.

That´s fine for your relatives, but to imply there isnt enough of an audience to make a RE-game sell millions is, sorry, ignorant. The millions of casual-hiphip-cool-gangster audience of the PS2 didnt make the success of all the well-known PS2 classics any less likely, did they.

Anyway, would not say these are solid efforts on Wii?
- No More Heroes
- Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Just up now we were talking about high quality, big hyped games that are missing on the Wii. Now you´re bringing up the term "solid". Yeah, those are solid. But just try to imagine these game would be released for the HD-systems. Would anyone be more excited about them? No. Trauma Center would be laughed off as being a minigame, Zak and Wiki would be called kiddy, and there are enough JRPGs on 360 to ignore a spinoff as well. That leaves NMH.
The Wii has a bunch of "solid" games, but that´s exactly the problem: Solid is the best that 3rd parties were capable of putting on the Wii. If you just take a look at NeoGAf, maybe even only at the Goty-topic, you´ll see A LOT of people that had not a single Wii-game in their vote. Why is that so? Because 3rd parties offer enough high budget high quality games for these systems, to make HD-gamers completely ignore the "solid" games of the Wii. And really, why would I buy a shitty on-rail shooter, when I can have the new Assassins Creed 2 where I can explore a highly detailed, rich crafted game world with lots of interaction options? There´s just no comparison.

Are we saying these also needed higher marketing muscle behind them? Would No More Heroes sold more if it had more TV spots? I'm trying to figure out what it is that third parties should be doing because I keep hearing contrary requests. I don't think anyone even cares about motion control anymore as the types of games I keep hearing about wouldn't benefit much from motion control at all. Final Fantasy XV? Who cares about WiiMotion on that?

Third parties DO need more marketing. Silent Hill Wii is a great example of how apathetic third parties have become. "We wont advertise for Shattered Memories" is what Konami told IGN. FFCC:TCB was set to be released two days after christmas. And Tales of Graces is released one week after the biggest Wii-title for this and the next year AND the most popular JRPG-series´ newest entry. It´s either third parties have forgotten all their marketing skills or they WANT their Wii-"efforts" to bomb.
Regarding FF15: It doesnt have to be literally FF15. Just something on par with that. An effort that shows gamers "hey, SE takes our demands seriously". There´s so many options. For Example, starting a new parallel FF-franchise, i.e. called "Ultima Fantasy" (lol). Or put the Secret of Mana-franchise on the Wii and turn it into a Nintendo-system centric franchise. No matter what you do, however, put in A LOT of effort. And this is not the topic to talk about how you could use motioncontrols for whatever title.

Despite its destiny to bomb, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is the only western third party-game that showed a developer putting real effort into a Wii-game. It´s sad that Konami themselves killed it.

selig said:
The high budget-AAA market on Wii is 99,9% unexplored by third parties. The only exception so far is Monster Hunter 3, which beat EVERY PS2-MH be several 100k´s.

Give the Wii an exclusive Resident Evil 6, using slightly improved RE4 assets, and you have a multi-million seller. Give it a real Final Fantasy and it will see. And ffs, Konami, make Zone of the Enders 3 for Wii, using gorgeous cel-shading. It´d be perfect for both the wiimote and motionplus.
But that´s not happening. Capcom will put out crappy ports, SE will ignore the Wii and Konami will release another PES Wii without marketing and releasing it after the HD-versions.

"If we wait it´ll just go away."
That seems to be third parties way of thinking. And im more than happy that it´s not working out.

The fact that you quoted MH3 as a *successful* "high budget-AAA" title on Wii is a BAD example to begin with. You gloated how much it sold more than the PS2 version, which was something several years ago at a time when the MH franchise had NOT exploded, not to mention you totally ignored the sales of the portable versions. On the other hand, we know as a FACT that the current sales of MH3 in Japan is well UNDER the expectation of the "market" (still unable to sell out the first shipment) and Capcom themselves (they expected 1.5M in Japan alone).

You talk like what the 3d parties need to do is to release their traditional/gamer-oriented/PS360-style AAA title exclusively on Wii, which is nonsense. There is NO evidence to support your claim that 'Wii's "gamer" demographic is about the same amount as the PS360's' to begin with. On the contrary, we have seen examples after examples that traditional/gamer-oriented/PS360-style games have NO advantage in sales (if not actually worse) being on Wii just because it has a bigger userbase. What Wii needs are some AAA titles that are UNIQUE to the system, but not some PS360 "duplicates".

Taurus said:

I'm in the same boat. I consider myself an informed gamer. I tend to know the release dates of games I'm interested in, whether I pick them up at launch or later on. And I had no idea that Silent Hill was out until I saw it mentioned here on GAF, a couple weeks after it launched. It slipped right by me.

selig

Banned
AnimeTheme said:
The fact that you quoted MH3 as a *successful* "high budget-AAA" title on Wii is a BAD example to begin with. You gloated how much it sold more than the PS2 version, which was something several years ago at a time when the MH franchise had NOT exploded, not to mention you totally ignored the sales of the portable versions. On the other hand, we know as a FACT that the current sales of MH3 in Japan is well UNDER the expectation of the "market" (still unable to sell out the first shipment) and Capcom themselves (they expected 1.5M in Japan alone).

A bad thing to do is comparing handheld and home system sales. Fact remains: MH sold nowhere near on the PS2 of what it did on the Wii. And MH3´s sales were only "under expectation" from the view of a certain girl that started riling up the Media Create-topics. MH3 was a great success, saying anything else is a spin on reality.

On the contrary, we have seen examples after examples that traditional/gamer-oriented/PS360-style games have NO advantage in sales (if not actually worse) being on Wii just because it has a bigger userbase.

We have? Feel free to post those.

What Wii needs are some AAA titles that are UNIQUE to the system, but not some PS360 "duplicates".

I agree. But I dont agree with anyone who thinks that "titles that are unique to the system" should be minigames, onrail-shooters or otherwise gimped experiences.

Firestorm

selig said:
That´s fine for your relatives, but to imply there isnt enough of an audience to make a RE-game sell millions is, sorry, ignorant. The millions of casual-hiphip-cool-gangster audience of the PS2 didnt make the success of all the well-known PS2 classics any less likely, did they.

Just up now we were talking about high quality, big hyped games that are missing on the Wii. Now you´re bringing up the term "solid". Yeah, those are solid. But just try to imagine these game would be released for the HD-systems. Would anyone be more excited about them? No. Trauma Center would be laughed off as being a minigame, Zak and Wiki would be called kiddy, and there are enough JRPGs on 360 to ignore a spinoff as well. That leaves NMH.

The Wii has a bunch of "solid" games, but that´s exactly the problem: Solid is the best that 3rd parties were capable of putting on the Wii. If you just take a look at NeoGAf, maybe even only at the Goty-topic, you´ll see A LOT of people that had not a single Wii-game in their vote. Why is that so? Because 3rd parties offer enough high budget high quality games for these systems, to make HD-gamers completely ignore the "solid" games of the Wii. And really, why would I buy a shitty on-rail shooter, when I can have the new Assassins Creed 2 where I can explore a highly detailed, rich crafted game world with lots of interaction options? There´s just no comparison.

Third parties DO need more marketing. Silent Hill Wii is a great example of how apathetic third parties have become. "We wont advertise for Shattered Memories" is what Konami told IGN. FFCC:TCB was set to be released two days after christmas. And Tales of Graces is released one week after the biggest Wii-title for this and the next year AND the most popular JRPG-series´ newest entry. It´s either third parties have forgotten all their marketing skills or they WANT their Wii-"efforts" to bomb.

Regarding FF15: It doesnt have to be literally FF15. Just something on par with that. An effort that shows gamers "hey, SE takes our demands seriously". There´s so many options. For Example, starting a new parallel FF-franchise, i.e. called "Ultima Fantasy" (lol). Or put the Secret of Mana-franchise on the Wii and turn it into a Nintendo-system centric franchise. No matter what you do, however, put in A LOT of effort. And this is not the topic to talk about how you could use motioncontrols for whatever title.

Despite its destiny to bomb, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is the only western third party-game that showed a developer putting real effort into a Wii-game. It´s sad that Konami themselves killed it.
A solid title is all you need before throwing marketing dollars at it. A game is "AAA" based on marketing, not on quality. I mean, your "lol mini game collection" argument goes for a lot of Wii's top-sellers but they are top-sellers nonetheless. Do you want effort in games or do you want high marketing behind okay games like Army of Two? Personally, I feel like Wii probably has enough to keep a regular person occupied. I did just well with only a GCN for four years.

Million Sellers on the Wii
1. Wii Sports (45.71 million) (April 2009)[12]
2. Wii Play (22.98 million) (April 2009)[12]
3. Wii Fit (18.22 million) (April 2009)[12]
4. Mario Kart Wii (15.40 million) (April 2009)[12]
5. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (8.43 million) (April 2009)[12]
6. Super Mario Galaxy (8.02 million) (April 2009)[17]
7. Mario Party 8 (6.72 million) (April 2009)[17]
8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (4.52 million) (March 2008)[17]
9. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (3.4 million) (March 2008)[18]
10. Link's Crossbow Training (3.76 million) (April 2009)[12]
11. Animal Crossing: City Folk (3.38 million) (April 2009)[12]
12. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (2.9 million) (May 2009)[19]
13. Super Paper Mario (2.28 million) (March 2008)[17]
14. Wii Music (2.65 million (April 2009)[12]
15. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (2.26 million) (March 2008)[17]
16. Deca Sports (2 million shipped) (April 2009)[20]
17. Game Party (2 million shipped) (March 2009)[21]
18. WarioWare: Smooth Moves (1.82 million) (July 2007)[22]
19. Mario Strikers Charged (1.77 million) (March 2008)[17]
20. Carnival Games (1.5 million) (June 2008)[23]
21. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (1.4 million) (September 2008)[24]
22. Guitar Hero World Tour (1.334 million) (January 2009)[25]
23. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (1.31 million) (March 2008)[17]
24. Mario Super Sluggers (1.26 million) (April 2009)[12]
25. Rayman Raving Rabbids (1.2 million) (March 2008)[18]
26. Sonic and the Secret Rings (1.2 million) (March 2008)[18]
27. We Ski (1.2 million) (December 2008)[26]
28. Big Beach Sports (1.2 million) (February 2009)[27]
29. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (1.15 million) (September 2008)[28]
30. Red Steel (1 million) (March 2008)[18]
31. Active Life: Outdoor Challenge (1 million) (January 2009) [29]
32. Rock Band (1 million) (December 2008)[30]
33. Game Party 2 (1 million shipped) [21]

selig said:
A bad thing to do is comparing handheld and home system sales. Fact remains: MH sold nowhere near on the PS2 of what it did on the Wii. And MH3´s sales were only "under expectation" from the view of a certain girl that started riling up the Media Create-topics. MH3 was a great success, saying anything else is a spin on reality.

I stopped reading after this. No one says we should directly compare the sales of the console and the portable versionss, but totally IGNORING it is a real spin on reality. So the retailers over-expecting MH3 sales with their excessive orders and Capcom expecting 1.5M sales are all SPINS? LOL

I am not saying MH3 was a failure, but it was nowhere near a "great success" either.

BowieZ

Banned
How about a few quality games that aren't violent and dreary or childishly cartoonish? Where's the happy medium? Or is there no such conceptual thing?

(Feel free to list games, I'm curious.)

Jackano

Million Sellers on the Wii
1. Wii Sports (45.71 million) (April 2009)[12]
2. Wii Play (22.98 million) (April 2009)[12]
3. Wii Fit (18.22 million) (April 2009)[12]
4. Mario Kart Wii (15.40 million) (April 2009)[12]
5. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (8.43 million) (April 2009)[12]
6. Super Mario Galaxy (8.02 million) (April 2009)[17]
7. Mario Party 8 (6.72 million) (April 2009)[17]
8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (4.52 million) (March 2008)[17]
9. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (3.4 million) (March 2008)[18]
10. Link's Crossbow Training (3.76 million) (April 2009)[12]
11. Animal Crossing: City Folk (3.38 million) (April 2009)[12]
12. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (2.9 million) (May 2009)[19]
13. Super Paper Mario (2.28 million) (March 2008)[17]
14. Wii Music (2.65 million (April 2009)[12]
15. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (2.26 million) (March 2008)[17]
16. Deca Sports (2 million shipped) (April 2009)[20]
17. Game Party (2 million shipped) (March 2009)[21]
18. WarioWare: Smooth Moves (1.82 million) (July 2007)[22]
19. Mario Strikers Charged (1.77 million) (March 2008)[17]
20. Carnival Games (1.5 million) (June 2008)[23]
21. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (1.4 million) (September 2008)[24]
22. Guitar Hero World Tour (1.334 million) (January 2009)[25]
23. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (1.31 million) (March 2008)[17]
24. Mario Super Sluggers (1.26 million) (April 2009)[12]
25. Rayman Raving Rabbids (1.2 million) (March 2008)[18]
26. Sonic and the Secret Rings (1.2 million) (March 2008)[18]
27. We Ski (1.2 million) (December 2008)[26]
28. Big Beach Sports (1.2 million) (February 2009)[27]
29. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (1.15 million) (September 2008)[28]
30. Red Steel (1 million) (March 2008)[18]
31. Active Life: Outdoor Challenge (1 million) (January 2009) [29]
32. Rock Band (1 million) (December 2008)[30]
33. Game Party 2 (1 million shipped) [21]

What's the source for this numbers?
Pretty interesting anyway, thanks!

I'm a Wii/DS owner. I really dislike the "types of games" argument. What does that even mean?

If you mean epic, open-world, cinematic adventures and experiences, then no, I don't want those. If "types of games" means Bioshock or Oblivion or Mass Effect or GTA4, then no thanks. I don't even buy Zelda or Metroid.

There are plenty of games on Wii and DS to keep me occupied throughout the year. I don't think it's unreasonable, however, to ask for another ground-up FPS with Conduit controls or another RE4 style TPS.

If they come, great. If not, then there are still enough games to satisfy. It's just a shame.

Personally, I skipped all console FPS games last gen because dual analog is uncontrollable for me. Shoddy online or not, I'd like to see another shooter with pointer controls make it onto Wii. And that's not a "type of game" on PS360 because it doesn't exist on PS360... yet.

Great sales for the 360 given that they haven't needed to take a huge loss on each unit sold to move it. Awesome sales for the Wii. It's the excersize platform for everyone that I know that owns it. 3rd Party software balance on the 360 this generation is just awesome.

selig

Banned
Firestorm said:
A solid title is all you need before throwing marketing dollars at it. A game is "AAA" based on marketing, not on quality. I mean, your "lol mini game collection" argument goes for a lot of Wii's top-sellers but they are top-sellers nonetheless. Do you want effort in games or do you want high marketing behind okay games like Army of Two? Personally, I feel like Wii probably has enough to keep a regular person occupied. I did just well with only a GCN for four years.

Well, to shock you: There hasnt been a quality thirdperson-shooter like Army of Two on the Wii, yet. And yes, compared to the Wii´s third party-line up, AoT is of quality.
This is where we have to draw the line from a pure sales-discussion. Sure there a several topselling mini game collections, but is that the kind of game "gamers" want? The whole argument revolves around the fact that third parties are missing out on a giant market.

Again, take Silent Hill Wii for an example. If marketed right, this could have been the Wii´s Alan Wake. (Im still baffled how gamers are anticipating Alan Wake, the E³ showing was desastrous) Just now, more and more Gaffers are buying the game, because they read somewhere about it, some user experience, then watch a video on Gametrailers, and go all "hey, that looks actually great!".
So if you´re asking what kind of efforts Im talking about that the Wii needs...look at SH Wii.

But so far, third parties put out only "solid" titles, and these can be devided into "super kiddy" or "super violent". There´s no middle ground like SH Wii.

Firestorm

Jackano said:
What's the source for this numbers?
Pretty interesting anyway, thanks!
VG Sales Wikia run by w3stfa11 although it seems he's retiring now :(

selig said:
Well, to shock you: There hasnt been a quality thirdperson-shooter like Army of Two on the Wii, yet. And yes, compared to the Wii´s third party-line up, AoT is of quality.
This is where we have to draw the line from a pure sales-discussion. Sure there a several topselling mini game collections, but is that the kind of game "gamers" want? The whole argument revolves around the fact that third parties are missing out on a giant market.

Again, take Silent Hill Wii for an example. If marketed right, this could have been the Wii´s Alan Wake. (Im still baffled how gamers are anticipating Alan Wake, the E³ showing was desastrous) Just now, more and more Gaffers are buying the game, because they read somewhere about it, some user experience, then watch a video on Gametrailers, and go all "hey, that looks actually great!".
So if you´re asking what kind of efforts Im talking about that the Wii needs...look at SH Wii.

But so far, third parties put out only "solid" titles, and these can be devided into "super kiddy" or "super violent". There´s no middle ground like SH Wii.
But, er, Silent Hill sold less than 50,000 o.o; How much do you think spending millions of dollars on advertising would help?

Cygnus X-1

VideoMan said:
Nintendo Press release.

NINTENDO FINISHES 2009 WITH MULTIPLE SALES RECORDS

Wii Has the Best Month in Video Game History, Nintendo DS Has the Best Calendar Year of All Time

Jan. 14, 2010

A holiday shopping frenzy helped both of Nintendo's video game systems make history: Nintendo's Wii™ home system sold more than 3.8 million units in December, a new all-time single-month U.S. sales record. The Nintendo DS™ Lite and Nintendo DSi™ hand-held systems combined to sell more than 3.3 million, the second biggest month in U.S. history.

Those strong December numbers helped propel the Nintendo DS franchise to more than 11.2 million sold in 2009, a new U.S. calendar-year sales record for any video game system – ever. The Wii console finished 2009 with 9.6 million sold. Of all the Wii consoles ever sold in the United States since its November 2006 launch, nearly one-fifth (18.7 percent) were sold during November and December 2009.

"Wii, Nintendo DS Lite and Nintendo DSi combined to sell more than 7 million units in the month of December alone," said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. "Clearly there is overwhelming consumer demand for fun games, motion controls and value. This remarkable hardware sales surge presents a tremendous software opportunity for Nintendo and its third-party partners as we head into 2010."

Lifetime U.S. sales for Wii have now surpassed 27.2 million units. No other home console has ever sold so many so quickly. Lifetime U.S. sales for the Nintendo DS franchise have topped 38.8 million units, surpassing lifetime sales of the Game Boy™ Advance franchise.

As always, great software drives hardware sales. In December alone, consumers placed six Nintendo games in the top 10 best-sellers of the month. These include New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii at No. 1 with more than 2.8 million sold, Wii Sports Resort™ at No. 2 with more than 1.7 million sold, Wii Fit™ Plus with the Wii Balance Board™ accessory at No. 3 with more than 1.7 million sold, Wii Play™ at No. 6 with more than 1.0 million sold, Mario Kart™ Wii at No. 7 with more than 936,000 sold and Mario & Luigi™: Bowser's Inside Story for Nintendo DS Lite and Nintendo DSi at No. 10 with more than 656,000 sold.

For all of 2009, Nintendo finished with seven of the top 10 best-selling games of the year. These include New Super Mario Bros. Wii at No. 2 with more than 4.2 million sold, Wii Sports Resort at No. 3 with more than 4.2 million sold, Wii Fit™ at No. 4 with more than 3.5 million sold, Mario Kart Wii at No. 5 with nearly 3.1 million sold, Wii Play at No. 6 with more than 3.1 million sold, Wii Fit Plus™ at No. 8 with more than 2.4 million sold and Pokémon™ Platinum Version at No. 10 with more than 2.0 million sold.

All numbers contained in this document are according to the NPD Group, which tracks U.S. video game sales.

For more information about Nintendo, please visit www.nintendo.com.

Nintendo does not need to pump their numbers up in any way. Just let numbers be what they are is crazily impressive.

Fredescu

BowieZ said:
How about a few quality games that aren't violent and dreary or childishly cartoonish? Where's the happy medium? Or is there no such conceptual thing?

(Feel free to list games, I'm curious.)
I'm not sure what you're responding to, but some "bright yet non-childish" 2009 games off the top of my head: Trine, Torchlight, Risen, Anno 1404, Uncharted 2, Majesty 2, Brutal Legend. Probably a bunch more, but yeah I think they're possible.

selig

Banned
Firestorm said:
But, er, Silent Hill sold less than 50,000 o.o; How much do you think spending millions of dollars on advertising would help?

Marketing is not only about advertisement thrown at at a game´s release date. Look at all the big hyped games for the HD-systems. They´re going through a process of several years hyping before being released.
Konami did nothing to hype SH Wii beforehand, and even didnt bother to advertise at all. Pointing at SH Wii´s sales to proof that such games dont sell on the Wii is just wrong.

Taurus

selig said:
Marketing is not only about advertisement thrown at at a game´s release date. Look at all the big hyped games for the HD-systems. They´re going through a process of several years hyping before being released.
Konami did nothing to hype SH Wii beforehand, and even didnt bother to advertise at all. Pointing at SH Wii´s sales to proof that such games dont sell on the Wii is just wrong.
Agreed. What was the first time we saw the famous video about Killzone 2, E3 2005? It released Spring 2009.

EDarkness

Firestorm said:
VG Sales Wikia run by w3stfa11 although it seems he's retiring now :(

Heh, I think it needs marketing to explain WHY people should buy it. I mean, who's hyping up their Wii games these days. If I didn't follow this forum, I wouldn't even know this game was released. My friend, who is a HUGE Silent Hill fan, didn't even know the game was coming out. Even then, he was skeptical because there hasn't been any hype. Hype and good marketing pushes games ahead of the pack, and these days Wii games aren't getting any.

Mojojo

AniHawk said:
ST > 600k
50k > Silent Hill > FFCCTCBBQ

I still don't understand why SE decided to completly change the FF: CC formula. They killed completly the little brand awareness FF :CC got from its gamecube and DS offerings, confusing everyone.
With some improvements and adaptation to Wii public (easy to pick up but depth underneath, with solid solo play, and great multiplayer you can play in short sessions), and good marketing, I am convinced it would have done better.

Goodbye FF:CC :_(

Firestorm

selig said:
Oh I know, but that costs money too. I'd like to know what Konami's expectations were for SH. Although if the game is really good enough, I don't see why it shouldn't be able to pull off an Arkham Asylum, Borderlands, Darksiders, etc.

Taurus said:
Agreed. What was the first time we saw the famous video about Killzone 2, E3 2005? It released Spring 2009.
When was the second time we heard about Killzone 2?

Rolf NB

Firestorm said:
Oh I know, but that costs money too. I'd like to know what Konami's expectations were for SH. Although if the game is really good enough, I don't see why it shouldn't be able to pull off an Arkham Asylum, Borderlands, Darksiders, etc.
I ended up in a discussion about purported lack of marketing efforts yesterday and named these exact games, only to be promptly told that they had massive campaigns, including TV spots, none of which I saw of course, because I live in the underbrush, where we like long-running sentences more than most other things.

But yeah. There has to be an element of "this audience is not composed of the same type of individual on average". Has to.

AniHawk said:
FFCCTCBBQ
You have my approval of your choice of acronym for this one.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Firestorm said:
The reception of the game is nowhere near Arkham Asylum, or as good as Borderlands and Darksiders.

Top Bottom