• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Epic Mickey |OT|

gamingeek said:
I'm used to talking about dead zones in Wii FPS, in which is the area where you can freely move the cursor about in before the screen starts turning.

Confusing choice of words on my part (although I did put it in quotes!) :) But I meant it in much the same way as the dead zone on analog sticks before movement is registered.

Anyway, it's very tangential. I've only put an hour or so into it--the feel of the controls are somewhat underwhelming, but it's a lovely-looking game so far, at least, and I'm hardly going to weigh in with a real opinion yet.

It's weird, on the one hand I'm really enjoying the game and I'm getting the feeling Warren hasn't lost it and on the other hand it's kind of satisfying to see that he's getting a bit of flack to keep him grounded. It's obvious that no matter how much of a good game designer he is, working with competent people who're responsible for the stuff he can't pull off is just as important for the result. In his games from the 90s, he's worked with some of the best programmers at Origin which is mostly why his early games are so legendary. As for "Junction Point", I've never ever heard of the studio and any of the people in it, to be honest, and it sorta feels like none of them ever did a 3D platformer before. Oh well, back to the game.

one_kill

Lijik said:
You can have up to three.

Quick question: Im intrigued by the Cartoons section in the unlockables. How do I get those? Are they something I get by beating the game, or is there a specific quest I need to look out for?
You unlock them by giving The Usher outside of the movie theatre film reels.

Got this in this morning after having pre-ordered it since February. I don't think I can emphasize enough how disappointing this game is. Unpolished doesn't do it justice. This game is an incompetent platformer with a brilliant concept that is about 70% unrealized. Goddamn I wanted this to be great.

magicalsoundshower said:
It's weird, on the one hand I'm really enjoying the game and I'm getting the feeling Warren hasn't lost it and on the other hand it's kind of satisfying to see that he's getting a bit of flack to keep him grounded. It's obvious that no matter how much of a good game designer he is, working with competent people who're responsible for the stuff he can't pull off is just as important for the result. In his games from the 90s, he's worked with some of the best programmers at Origin which is mostly why his early games are so legendary. As for "Junction Point", I've never ever heard of the studio and any of the people in it, to be honest, and it sorta feels like none of them ever did a 3D platformer before. Oh well, back to the game.

yep yep

Well, just finished the game.

I have to say the ending is trully beautifull, and im a little bit empotional, so it brin a tear to the eye (good eneding).
I dont even want to get the bad ending at all. :(

The end part is really epic and have some difficult platforming.

BTW, 19 and a half hours, but I tried to collect all the things I could, although I failed 4 missions.

I even need to bet yet two cartoons becuase it seems there are some different paths to get to some places that give you totally diferent cartoons. I think is
steamboat wilie part 3, and the sorcerer's apprentice part 1

I really loved the game, and will surely beat till I complete 100% all.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
SpacePirate Ridley said:
The end part is really epic and have some difficult platforming.

That's good to know because I've only played for about an hour, and I got the impression that the platforming is weak compared to the Mario Galaxy games and DKC Returns and it more resembles an adventure game like the 3D Zelda games.

So the people disappointed in the game. Will you be keeping your copy and trying to progress forward, or selling your copies? Just curious.

richiek said:
That's good to know because I've only played for about an hour, and I got the impression that the platforming is weak compared to the Mario Galaxy games and DKC Returns and it more resembles an adventure game like the 3D Zelda games.

But in not talking about super quality platforming ala Mario Galaxy, im talking about some small difficult platforming sections.

Gigglepoo

gamingeek said:
Also Gamespot review is in, 6.0 and it's the 5th review to not realise there is a lock on for combat. So that is IGN, Gamespot, Eurogamer, Joystiq and Metro who complain there is no lock on when there is - and then complain about combat in relation to the camera.

Where do I say there isn't a lock on button?

MYE

Wait, Epic Mickey is a platformer?
I could've sworn i've been playing an adventure game with big areas to explore, NPC's, quests and shit.

Those who put it in the same genre as both Galaxy games deserve the following line of 10 laughing emoticons.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

If the above reasoning actually had any impact on how the game was reviewed and/or appretiated, make it 40.

JetBlackPanda said:
The difference in opinions in this thread are so polar opposite its crazy, even for Gaf.. I don't know what to believe anymore.

Similar differences were in the Other M and Fable III topics at the beginning, but it mostly turned more negative as time passed (I still love Other M though).

gogojira

If it's not a platformer, I don't know what the fuck you'd call it then. I mean, sure you interact with people and get quests, but in my two hours or so with the game I've done an absolute shitload of platforming.

Many of my quests have involved unleashing some gremlin locked in a cage or knocking some gear into action; tasks that typically have me hopping my ass around the environments.

I'm not saying there isn't any adventure to it, but -- and again I'm only a couple of hours in -- by and large, Epic Mickey has very much been a 3D platformer.

I cant stop watching the ending, it reminds me what I felt with the ending of toy story 3.

when they both put their hands in the mirror, and yen sid says "brothers"...
manly tears
So heartwarming :)

JRW

I'd love to get ahold of the soundtrack if they ever release it, I heard a lot of nice tunes throughout the game, I especially liked the one when you return to Bog Easy after the Mansion.

Unfortuantely after you finsih the game theres no way to return to previous locations and if you click on your save game it just starts a new game without warning (although it retains your pins / film reels etc.)

0XM09.jpg

:lol Awesome!

G4 did a podcast on the game. They really liked it because you had to make choices that they felt weren't good or evil and didn't allow you to collect everything, but they spent like half of their discussion on it bashing the Wii and sites that gave the game a low score :lol . They seemed unaware that SMG2 took place mostly on normal, nonspherical worlds, as well as that the Wii's discs hold as much data as 360 discs as they said the opposite frequently. I quit listening to Feedback a while ago, but I wanted to listen to this one to hear their thoughts on the game (Really the only super positive review the game has gotten) and I promised not to watch Sessler's Soapbox anymore. It felt so unprofessional.

Wizpig

MYE said:
Wait, Epic Mickey is a platformer?
I could've sworn i've been playing an adventure game with big areas to explore, NPC's, quests and shit.

Those who put it in the same genre as both Galaxy games deserve the following line of 10 laughing emoticons.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

If the above reasoning actually had any impact on how the game was reviewed and/or appretiated, make it 40.
It's a Platform-Adventure game.

This is taking even more of a shellacking over at Rllmuk, albeit with less people having played it. Shame, I really think there's an excellent game in there.

One criticism I can understand is that the start - prior to arrival at
Mean Street
is that it feels very much as though the game is going to just be leading you in a single direction...it looks very drab, too. I'll concede that I did start to have a few doubts at one point. However, once you reach the aforementioned area it starts to blossom and it hasn't stopped yet.

Kard8p3

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
G4 did a podcast on the game. They really liked it because you had to make choices that they felt weren't good or evil and didn't allow you to collect everything, but they spent like half of their discussion on it bashing the Wii and sites that gave the game a low score :lol . They seemed unaware that SMG2 took place mostly on normal, nonspherical worlds, as well as that the Wii's discs hold as much data as 360 discs as they said the opposite frequently. I quit listening to Feedback a while ago, but I wanted to listen to this one to hear their thoughts on the game (Really the only super positive review the game has gotten) and I promised not to watch Sessler's Soapbox anymore. It felt so unprofessional.

Well as usual it seems they don't know what they're talking about.

MYE

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:

:lol

Hiltz

I'll most likely get this game in the future. Currently, the reviews have left me completely confused and I don't want to have any regrets. G4's podcast almost convinced me to buy it, but then I remembered how much the G4 network sucks.

I almost feel bad for not supporting one of the Wii's biggest third-party core exclusives. Then again, I've generally supported all of the past ones so there's that.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Hiltz said:
I'll most likely get this game in the future. Currently, the reviews have left me completely confused and I don't want to have any regrets. G4's podcast almost convinced me to buy it, but then I remembered how much the G4 network sucks.

I almost feel bad for not supporting one of the Wii's biggest third-party core exclusives. Then again, I've generally supported all of the past ones so there's that.

supporting games with average reviews of 7 is not exactly sending the best message. yet this is the catch 22 wii owners always find themselves in.

Kard8p3

Just listened to the G4 podcast on this game and they just really love it. They were just gushing over it but then at the end as ItWasMeantToBe19 already mentioned they just had to put some wii bashing in there. They said it should have been multiplatform so it could be played with a normal adult controller. Then they made the claim that the disk space on the wii is likely why there was no voice acting and it could have been fixed on a disk for the HD consoles.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
They seemed unaware that SMG2 took place mostly on normal, nonspherical worlds, as well as that the Wii's discs hold as much data as 360 discs as they said the opposite frequently.
As far as I'm aware, Wii discs actually hold MORE data than 360 discs due to a section on 360 discs taken up by some other data.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
So the people disappointed in the game. Will you be keeping your copy and trying to progress forward, or selling your copies? Just curious.

I returned my copy the following day. I just didn't enjoy it enough to justify the money, regardless of how much I loved the premise. However, when I get the opportunity to borrow it, I'll try to play it through to completion. I don't think it's worth a purchase, but it's not so bad that it's not worth playing at all.

JimboJones

Kard8p3 said:
Just listened to the G4 podcast on this game and they just really love it. They were just gushing over it but then at the end as ItWasMeantToBe19 already mentioned they just had to put some wii bashing in there. They said it should have been multiplatform so it could be played with a normal adult controller. Then they made the claim that the disk space on the wii is likely why there was no voice acting and it could have been fixed on a disk for the HD consoles.

Thats youtube quality commenting right there.

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Just saw it on the front page of Yahoo, also bashing the camera.
While I think the complaints are justified, I have yet to see a single person consider the true reason for its problems, while many are making comments like "if [insert favourite platformer] could figure it out 10 years ago it can't be that hard" etc. I may talk a bit about it on here soon..

The camera isn't great, but it doesn't really bother me too bad.

What bothers me is how fucking boring the game is, and how many times the game stops you from playing to point out something incredibly obvious. Also not a fan of the paint/thinner gameplay, reminds me too much of Mario Sunshine and that's far from a good thing.

Enemies are meh, and it takes too much effort to get the shake-attack work compared to other games that also utilize this, like Galaxy. I just feel like I have to put a lot of force into the shake to get Mickey to attack.

Finally, I'm just not really into the game in general. Story does nothing for me, it's kind of bland so far, the gameplay isn't that good, same for the camera, framerate, and so on.

I won't give up on it just yet, but it's really not so hot so far.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
also the checkpoints can be effing infuriating. I get it, your game can't remember which sections of random-wall-A I thinned, I don't care, just place me back in a generic version of the world at a point that doesn't make me want to end myself and/or the game.

dark10x said:
As far as I'm aware, Wii discs actually hold MORE data than 360 discs due to a section on 360 discs taken up by some other data.

Yeah, 360 discs only have 7 GB usable space (actually 6.8 GB, IIRC) -- there's a dummy partition with unreadable errors and an unreadable security sector, but I think I read somewhere that there is actually no data in the last ~1.7 GB...

A dual-layer Wii disc uses practically the full 8.5 GB.

As an animator and an animation geek in general I'm all kinds of nerded out over Epic Mickey and I wouldn't even describe myself as the biggest Disney fan. When you read or listen to interviews with Warren Spector and he goes on about how huge of a Disney fan he is, then you see Epic Mickey in motion, you see all of the history that it references and you can believe it. You can see how big of a fan he is, or has surrounded himself with on his team. There's just a level of authenticity you can apply to Spector's fandom when you see such an old and obscure character like Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, or even the Mad Doctor. They're digging deep into the company's history. It's just cool to see.

I love the dynamic of paint and thinner, it's essentially the same sort of binary, good/evil gameplay that you find in so many other games, only there's no judgement, there's no right or wrong, it's just how you choose to interact with the enemies and your environment.
That said, if you're using thinner left and right, you know you're a right and proper bastard
. The camera could definitely be better, but in the end it hasn't bothered me all that much, perhaps that will change the more I play the game.

Highly enjoying the game thus far.

brandonh83 said:
The camera isn't great, but it doesn't really bother me too bad.

What bothers me is how fucking boring the game is, and how many times the game stops you from playing to point out something incredibly obvious. Also not a fan of the paint/thinner gameplay, reminds me too much of Mario Sunshine and that's far from a good thing.

Was gonna make a comment about this. When are devs gonna move away from the decade old visual cue of large geographical camera sweeps/pans. Don't know if it's hardware limitations, lack of talent or what, but it's dated as hell.

Top Bottom