• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

oti

Banned
I'm getting tired of all the Pidgeys but at least I got something new from an egg. That weird Psycho Pokémon thing. And I hit lvl 10.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/13664447_10209698763323393_646705814_n.png
NICE catch!

I love the little impromptu groups and subgroups that form too. When people are all chilling at a stop and something is nearby and a couple people go off together to hunt it, but other people have already it. Or a team forms to walk over to a nearby gym and take a shot at it and everybody wishes them luck/curses their Team. Really great stuff.
So why the holdup on releasing the game in countries like Sweden? There are tons of known locations/POIs here (especially in the larger citites, of course), Ingress works here, etc. Are they simply holding us back to keep the server pressure down? Sucks.
Yes, but I'm a little confused. Are you using the APK and not seeing anything, or not playing?

otakukidd

So why the holdup on releasing the game in countries like Sweden? There are tons of known locations/POIs here (especially in the larger citites, of course), Ingress works here, etc. Are they simply holding us back to keep the server pressure down? Sucks.
Yeah it's cause the servers. It's still a little buggy.

Chaos17

LMAO XD

Pokemon Go outage 'stressing' Australian users

Players accused UK residents of clogging up the system by trying to bypass regional servers to access the game Down Under.

"People in the UK need to stop playing and adding to the server problems," a user posted on aussieoutages.com on Tuesday.

While it's not confirmed if that is the case, the aussieoutages website was on Tuesday carrying numerous messages from frustrated users reporting server and log-in problems
http://www.smh.com.au/business/medi...ressing-australian-users-20160712-gq3tfl.html

USA server is more closer to them to get a better ping, how can Australians think that ? XD

mmlsxKr.gifv

Is this loading ball in the top left corner supposed to be there all the time?

I believe the loading ball is there to signal the game is collecting a small bit of info from the server to keep your location up to date (who controls what Gyms ect...) and populate Pokemon in the area too. It should appear a lot if you are in an active area.

Man, the landmark data they're using has to be fairly old, as my housing development is only 5-6 years old but there's nothing here. No Poké stops, no gyms, nothing. We even have a small park and a pool, and a larger park and an elementary school nearby.

It also has landmarks / art installations that are no longer there in person.

Luckily my alma mater that I still visit frequently has three gyms and a dozen or so stops, so I can stock up on Pokeballs there. I just am not crazy about the game enough to go 15-20 minutes out of my way to the big hangouts in town for Pokémon hunting.

I'm getting tired of all the Pidgeys but at least I got something new from an egg. That weird Psycho Pokémon thing. And I hit lvl 10.

Pidgeys are the key to leveling up you character. Easy to evolve, and loads of XP (if you evolve with a lucky egg).

EMBRACE THE PIDGEY.

PMS341

Really wish there was a good way to hatch eggs while at work. Even walking from one end of the store to the other doesn't count.

I actually tried the "record player" trick last night and it did not work, but I laughed at the fact I was even attempting it.

Falchion

Pidgeys are the key to leveling up you character. Easy to evolve, and loads of XP (if you evolve with a lucky egg).

EMBRACE THE PIDGEY.

I've got about 50 Pokemon (mostly Ratatas and Pidgeys) that are ready to evolve. Tonight I'm going to go sit by the lure near my house, pop a lucky egg, and evolve them all with breaks to catch anything good that pops up.

Astral

I really wish it was easier to tell on in which direction the pokemon are. There's apparently a bulbasaur near my house but I have up looking for it because one minute I was close and then the next I wasn't and it was just all over the place. Eventually my battery was dying and I had to go home.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man, the landmark data they're using has to be fairly old, as my housing development is only 5-6 years old but there's nothing here. No Poké stops, no gyms, nothing. We even have a small park and a pool, and a larger park and an elementary school nearby.

It also has landmarks / art installations that are no longer there in person.

Luckily my alma mater that I still visit frequently has three gyms and a dozen or so stops, so I can stock up on Pokeballs there. I just am not crazy about the game enough to go 15-20 minutes out of my way to the big hangouts in town for Pokémon hunting.
Ingress is less than 5 years old, haha. Shame the park isn't one though, most that I have been to are stops. Other than that, housing developments aren't usually full of them.

vypek

I really wish it was easier to tell on in which direction the pokemon are. There's apparently a bulbasaur near my house but I have up looking for it because one minute I was close and then the next I wasn't and it was just all over the place. Eventually my battery was dying and I had to go home.

I almost wish there was a premium/pokestop item that would give you the indicated direction of a pokemon you have selected for 15 minutes

i kinda also wish the candies. were type based (lightning, normal, water, etc.) but they really want me to grind. i want to power up my pikachu.

21XX

Banned
That's what I figured. Welp, here goes!

EDIT: Flareon. Cool.

Oof. Flareon is a bitter pill. (Unless you like Flareon. Then woo.)

I caught a Clefable while getting a bagel just now. Thought it was a Clefairy and when I realized it wasn't I said, "Oh shit a CleFABLE??" out loud.

AKA pretty cool guy right here.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Really wish there was a good way to hatch eggs while at work. Even walking from one end of the store to the other doesn't count.

I actually tried the "record player" trick last night and it did not work, but I laughed at the fact I was even attempting it.
Do you not get a good GPS lock at your job? That should work unless it's a REALLY short distance. People have reported seeing (small) progress just from GPS drift while sitting still with the app open for an hour or so.
I'm taking my game to the next level this afternoon:
Hey, have you used one of these! I'm really interested in how practical/safe they are. And if you can recommend a brand in particular? Trying to put together a post for Pokemon trainers who bike a lot like I do.

I have been wary of them for safety reasons. But I've seen quite a few people biking with their phone in one hand and it HAS to be safer than that, lol

Permanently A

I'm going outside and not coming back until I catch something with at least CP 700. Sick of being level 10 and my max pokemon only having 500 CP.

Grief.exe

I found this apartment complex on my way to work that seems to be glitched. I drove around there for about 10 minutes this morning and caught over 20 Pokemon.

I only left because I didn't want the cops called on the beared guy driving around suspiciously.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've got about 50 Pokemon (mostly Ratatas and Pidgeys) that are ready to evolve. Tonight I'm going to go sit by the lure near my house, pop a lucky egg, and evolve them all with breaks to catch anything good that pops up.
I have a very similar plan tonight although I also have a couple eggs to hatch I want the Lucky Egg running for.

Hopefully, I can basically bypass Level 11 altogether and start getting that Great Ball goodness.

21XX

Banned
So, what do you do when your bag is full? Should I just throw away some pokeballs or just keep using items until I have some space?

Also, anyone have tips on the best way to use lucky eggs?

ced

Hey, have you used one of these! I'm really interested in how practical/safe they are. And if you can recommend a brand in particular? Trying to put together a post for Pokemon trainers who bike a lot like I do.l

It's off amazon, Roam Co-Pilot Universal Bike Phone Mount.

It's being delivered today, I'll try it this afternoon or tonight and try and report back.

Astral

I almost wish there was a premium/pokestop item that would give you the indicated direction of a pokemon you have selected for 15 minutes

Yeah that's what I was thinking of last night. It's just way too fucking hot where I am at the moment to be wandering around everywhere looking for these things.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's off amazon, Roam Co-Pilot Universal Bike Phone Mount.

It's being delivered today, I'll try it this afternoon or tonight and try and report back.
Thanks! It's very reasonably priced, but no Prime ;_;
So, what do you do when your bag is full? Should I just throw away some pokeballs or just keep using items until I have some space?
If you ave easy access to Pokeballs then throw away your Pokeballs. I've never had more than like 30 on me at a time.
Also, anyone have tips on the best way to use lucky eggs?
Build up some eggs to almost hatched and candy for evolution, pop the Lucky, hatch eggs, evolve a zillion pokeymans, profit in XP rain

vypek

Yeah that's what I was thinking of last night. It's just way too fucking hot where I am at the moment to be wandering around everywhere looking for these things.

Same here. We are only just getting past a heat wave in my area but its still so hot and humid that I can't be walking for a super long time to find them. After a while of wandering and battery starting to die I just have to head home. 3 step pokemon are just not worth it at the moment

Ruff

I'm already bored of trying to own gyms. What's the point when anyone with 6 weedles can just sit outside it with stacks of potions and revives and brute force your level down to 1 and win it easily 6v1 as soon as you leave the area

Needs a major rehaul.

MajorMane

Unless you're taking on a lot of gyms and losing Pokemon in the process, Revives seem to be an okay item to throw away.

dan2026

This game is kinda awful. Technically at least.

Half the time it crashes when catching Pokemon the other half it doesn't load.

Fucking awful.

SCB3

Whilst I am enjoying the game (not out here yet but using a workaround), I want to see the following updates (not including server issues as they should be sorted anyway)

-Battle and trade with friends (this is what Pokemon is about!)

-Integration with the portable games could be cool, like importing your Go Pokemon into the game at the start

-Expand the Pokedex (I assume this will be a logical step as 151 is a smaller number to integrate rather than 721)

-Reward collectors and battlers separately, I may not like to fight, but do collect so give me something for that

- Featured events, so say for example at the launch of Pokemon Moon/Sun, if you go to buy the game you can try to catch a legendary at the store

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm already bored of trying to own gyms. What's the point when anyone with 6 weedles can just sit outside it with stacks of potions and revives and brute force your level down to 1 and win it easily 6v1 as soon as you leave the area

Needs a major rehaul.
A rehaul to make it harder to take over gyms?

Top Bottom